z

Young Writers Society


18+ Language

Eight Reasons Why I Kissed Hayden Beaufort (part 8a/8)

by TriSARAHtops


Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for language.

#8: WHAT EUGENE DID LAST SUMMER

“Can you promise you’ll hear me out?” Eugene asked. I continued to stare at him, trying to make sense of his words, but utterly failing.

I goggled at him a little longer, before saying, “Sure. I promise.”

“Okay.” Eugene leant against the car, as though to brace himself. “I guess… well, back in January, the school holidays, I met some people. Some of Freddie’s mates.”

“Who?”

“Doesn’t matter. Not really. I’ve stopped talking to them, anyway. But you weren’t always around, and Theo was off on holidays, so I hung around with them. It was all pretty normal, at first, but then one evening, they showed up, talking about having ‘plans’.” Eugene let out a bark of humourless laughter, and kicked at the ground. He stared at his shoes, and sighed heavily.

“I’m listening.” I’d meant to sound harsh, when I’d opened my mouth, but the words came out softer than I’d intended. He was hurting, and as impatient as I was, it was tough seeing him like this.

“They were planning on spray-painting this wall. The one by the station,” Eugene said, “I wasn’t keen on the idea, but the next thing I knew, there I was going along with it. It’s not even like they had a good reason. They wanted to do it because they could.”

I knew the wall that Eugene was talking about. It was one of those places that had always been a target for vandals – there were years worth of tags and profanities sprayed across the bricks. None of it was remotely artistic, that kind of stuff was reserved for the skate park and inner-city alleyways.

“It’s such a stupid thing, spraying some paint at the wall. Nothing that dramatic about it,” Eugene continued bitterly, “But it was this strange sort of rush, because went against the rules. It sounds tacky when I put it like that. It’s true though. Doing wrong was this thrilling thing, and so the next time they suggested doing it, I didn’t argue.”

“Eugene,” I said, “Why didn’t you tell me about this, if it’s been going on since January?”

“I dunno.” He sighed. “Because you wouldn’t get it, I suppose. You’d disapprove. I don’t think you see it, the way people think of me. They think I’m useless, some kind of loser. And doing this, it made it true.”

I wanted to deny it, tell him that people didn’t think of him like that. I opened my mouth, ready to protest, but Eugene suddenly drew his gaze upwards to meet my eye.

“You said you wouldn’t interrupt,” he said. “Liv.”

“I know. Okay.”

He nodded. “I kept going with them. Even when Theo got back, I’d make up some excuse to be around them, instead of band practice. Freddie knew, because he was there, sometimes. I got good at hiding it from you guys. But then… we got caught. Or, I got caught, rather.”

“When?” I asked.

“Couple of weeks ago. Not all that long after school started back,” Eugene replied. “The cops showed up, and I wasn’t quick enough, so I took the fall for it. The owners of the building where it happened didn’t end up pressing charges, so I got off with a warning. And then school found out.”

“And threatened to expel you,” I finished, filling in the blanks.

“Yeah.”

“What does this have to do with Pugnacious Dogma?” I asked.

“Getting the letter from the school, it was like something switched in my mind,” Eugene said, he’d adopted a detached tone, like he was talking about somebody else. Even still, there was a glint to his eyes that betrayed a darker emotion. “I didn’t want to be the pathetic guy, who didn’t have any prospects aside from being alright on a guitar. I wanted people to look at me with…”

“Respect?”

“Something like that.” He shrugged. “ I was so angry, when I saw the letter. My parents were furious, but it didn’t seem like they were disappointed, more… resigned. So I decided things would change. I’d actually try at school. Stop hanging around with Freddie’s mates. And that I’d give up music.”

I crossed my arms across my chest and blinked. “Why music?”

“Because I didn’t want to keep letting it be the only thing that defined me. I just couldn’t…”

“But then why’d Freddie say he was leaving?”

“Because I told him to.” Eugene’s voice had gone quiet. “I’m not proud of it, but I told him that if he didn’t leave then I’d say he was there with me, that he was doing graffiti too. He got caught for something like that before, so his punishment’d be worse than mine.”

“Oh.” I stepped back from Eugene, speechless.

“I didn’t think he’d break up with Audrey, or that he’d leave with the gig so close,” Eugene said, his voice quick and desperate. “Trust me, Liv. It was supposed to be that he’d bring it up later, just with me and Theo.”

“Trust you?” I choked out. “Eugene, you’ve lied to me for months. You’ve manipulated my friends. You can’t expect that of me.”

“I know, and if I could change any of that, I could.”

“But you can’t,” I said, “And look what trying to make it all go away has done. What about Theo? He’s one of your best friends, but you’re more concerned with people thinking you aren’t a loser than him?”

“Liv…” Eugene looked startled at my raised voice. He fumbled for an excuse, his mouth making shapes as he tried to say something.

“You fucking coward,” I whispered. I took a breath, and stared at the fence beyond Eugene’s head, as though the scratched paint might give me a clue about where we’d go from here. I shook my head.

“I’m sorry.” Eugene spoke through a sigh. Suddenly unable to stand the sight of him, unable to stand his presence, I turned on my heel, heading for the doors.

I quickened my pace as I felt a pain in the back of my throat – the threat of a sob. I couldn’t cry in front of him. And I had nothing more to say to him.

Eugene had been my best friend since we were four years old. Now, it felt like I didn’t know him at all.

***


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1162 Reviews


Points: 32055
Reviews: 1162

Donate
Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:12 am
View Likes
Carlito wrote a review...



This one is going to be very short :)

It sounds tacky when I put it like that. It’s true though.

I think you could combine these two sentences.

“Why didn’t you tell me about this, if it’s been going on since January?”

I don’t think you need a comma in the middle of this sentence.

I don’t think you see it, the way people think of me. They think I’m useless, some kind of loser. And doing this, it made it true.

The manner of speech here got really repetitive. There’s a comma in a similar place in each of these sentences and if you read it out loud it sort of sounds the same.

“You said you wouldn’t interrupt,” he said. “Liv.”

How did he know she was going to interrupt? Did her mouth open like she was going to interject or did he read her mind.

And that's all I have! :)




TriSARAHtops says...


Another belated than you!



User avatar
1417 Reviews


Points: 3733
Reviews: 1417

Donate
Sat May 09, 2015 5:08 pm
View Likes
Noelle wrote a review...



Hi there!

I'm on the last chapter! Ahhh! This is so exciting :)

I feel like there's more to this group of kids than Eugene is letting on. The way he's talking about having to hide his friendship makes it sound like they did more than just spray paint walls. Is there something more to it? Would Liv not approve of Eugene hanging out with them minus the graffiti thing? I guess it's just a personal thing, where it's a bigger deal to Eugene than to anyone else. That would explain his reasoning for hiding everything and not admitting that he was hanging out with other people. It just seems a bit of an overreaction to me. Maybe that's how you meant it to be, but I wanted to mention it anyway.

Something I feel that is missing from this is Liv's attempt at understanding. She and Eugene have been best friends since they were four. Wouldn't that warrant at least an attempt to understand what he was going through? Wouldn't she at least sympathize with his poor decision making? I can understand her losing it when he says that he threatened Theo and made him be the one to break up the band, but everything before that seems a bit forgivable to me. Just a suggestion. Obviously you know Liv better than me since she's your character ^_^

Unlike everyone else, I think the graffiti is definitely worthy of an expulsion. He got caught by the cops and might've gotten put in jail, or whatever the discipline is for graffiti. Of course the school would want to know that and be rather upset if they found out. I can't remember if you mentioned what kind of school they go to, but different schools are more lenient with their disciplining. If it's a private school that they go to, the consequence would be a lot more intense than a public school, from what I know about the different school systems. That might be worth mentioning in order to really make this expulsion threat work.

Something I think that is missing in that explanation though, is why the school didn't expel him. They threatened to, yes? So why didn't they? What was the ultimatum they gave him? That's another important piece of information because it makes his reasoning much more realistic. It's realistic as is, but it could be a bit stronger.

Overall, I think this is one of my favorite parts I've read. This conversation is so heated and so intense and definitely changes Liv's relationship with Eugene. Whether she's going to forgive him eventually or not, I don't know. But as of now she's lost her best friend. That's quite a loss; and to be the one to cut it off is even worse. I can only imagine what she's going through at this point.

If anything, I would've liked to see a bit more of Liv's thoughts during this conversation. There's a lot of dialogue, which is fine since it's an argument, but there's always room to slip in Liv's reactions to what's happening. We see how she feels through her dialogue and actions, but what's going on inside her mind is so different from both of those. Think about adding something like that in. If it doesn't work out, it doesn't work. This scene is in no ways weak. It could just be a bit stronger.

The next part is the last one! I don't want this story to end :( I absolutely love Liv. Did I ever tell you that? I think she's an awesome character. And this whole band scene is pretty cool. They just run around going to gigs and playing music. That's the life! :3

Keep writing!
**Noelle**




TriSARAHtops says...


Thanks for the awesome review! :D



User avatar
209 Reviews


Points: 10769
Reviews: 209

Donate
Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:47 pm
View Likes
artemis15sc wrote a review...



Hey, it's me. Happy Review day! I know it's taken me a while. To be honest I hate endings, so I was delaying the inevitable. I was depressed for three weeks when I finished Lord of The Rings, and even longer after Harry Potter. However, I'm far too attached to your characters not see what becomes of them.

And I've got to get to the part where she actually kisses Hayden Beaufort, right?

Anyway, the tension in this was killing me, but it was so beautifully draw out. You've developed the relationship between Eugene and Liv masterfully. I love the curve ball you've thrown us, showing this other side of Eugene. It's given their relationship a whole new fascinating dynamic. It's cliche to say they feel like real people, so I'll add that their interesting and intriguing people as well.

Also, just so you know, by love the curve ball, I mean I totally hate you. Why must you be so cruel. :(

Once again, it was beautiful drawn, all I have for you is nitpicks.



Eugene let out a bark of humourless laughter, and kicked at the ground. He stared at his shoes, and sighed heavily.
I'm going off of something Brandon Sanderson said to our class, but be careful of which descriptions you group together. At the moment, you are implying that he laughed and kicked the ground at the same time, and that he looked at the ground and sighed at the same time. The second one's fine, but the first one confuses me, since I'm not sure if he's kicking the ground in frustration, anger, or if its part of his mocking laugh charade.

Eugene continued bitterly, “But it was this strange sort of rush, because it went against the rules.
I'm assuming that word needs to be there.

“Eugene,” I said, “wWhy didn’t you tell me about this, if it’s been going on since January?”
I'm fairly certain, that since the dialogue tag is interrupting the sentence, why should be lowercase. Unless you want "Eugene" to be it's own sentence, in which case you need

“You fucking coward,” I whispered. I took a breath, and stared at the fence beyond Eugene’s head, as though the scratched paint might give me a clue about where we’d go from here. I shook my head.
First all of these sentences start with I, which gives it a choppy feel. Rearranging sentences, and adding inner dialogue or description can help with this. Second, the last sentence, "I shook my head" doesn't seam to connect with the sentence above it. Mostly because I don't why she's shaking her head. Is it because that fence doesn't give her the answers she seeks? Or does it express something about, Eugene, maybe disgust? Just a little clarification would solve that little problem.

And that is all I have for you. I shall, of course, read the last bit before the end of review day, since I'm dying to know what happens. But I shall pretend I'm not by playing tetris to once again delay that inevitable ending.

Ta ta for now!

-Art




TriSARAHtops says...


Thank you! :)



User avatar
100 Reviews


Points: 1395
Reviews: 100

Donate
Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:57 am
LittleFox wrote a review...



Hello, happy review day!

So, it's exciting being this close to the end! It's really interesting to find out exactly what Eugene did to cause all this stuff. And I feel like I can really feel Liv's pain at hearing this. I've had that feeling before, of feeling a friendship become dim and strange, and you've really portrayed it well. You do an amazing job at expressing the characters' thoughts and feelings.

Anyway, well done! Ah, I don't want it to be over! I truly love this story a lot and am excited to read the next part!

-LittleFox




TriSARAHtops says...


Thanks :)



User avatar
1125 Reviews


Points: 53415
Reviews: 1125

Donate
Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:35 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas wrote a review...



Oh hey!

Well, the title is amazing. And I can't believe that Freddie is redeemable - Demeter has been telling me all along that she thinks Freddie is really hot xD so I'm surprised she didn't bring that up in her review. But really, the whole thing is such a turnaround, I'm so surprised!

This part was largely plot progression, which is fine. It's atmospheric, although I did wonder why they don't have to go inside and, you know, play the concert. Surely they don't *really* have time for a heart to heart.

Even though it happened in the last part and not this one, one thing I would wonder is, what prompted Eugene to tell Liv what happened? They kind of just got out of the car and *bam*. Did she demand the truth from him? Why now? What has changed that he couldn't tell her before, but will now? Is it because of Hayden?

I'm in agreement with Demeter (not on the Freddie thing, Eugene forever), that the graffiti... doesn't seem like that big a deal. Not expulsion worthy, maybe suspension worthy. But I can recognise that maybe you don't want Eugune to be, you know, a bad guy. But there's some disconnect between the crime and the punishment that I think needs addressing because right now it just doesn't seem like it's quite matching up. I think you need to work out a more solid reasoning - this story rocks because it's believable, but this particular part sticks out like a sore thumb because it's not realistic.

Last part, I'm excited to see this kiss at last!

Hope I helped, drop me a note if you need anything!

-Stella x




TriSARAHtops says...


Thank you!



User avatar
1735 Reviews


Points: 91980
Reviews: 1735

Donate
Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:28 am
View Likes
BluesClues wrote a review...



I don't know whether you intended this or not, but it was so excruciatingly painful when she said "You manipulated my friends." Because she's distancing herself from him subconsciously by making their friends her friends and thus also setting him apart from "her friends." It was so powerful.

That's all I've got to say for this one, so on to part last...*sob*

Blue

Image




TriSARAHtops says...


Thank you!



User avatar
878 Reviews


Points: 35199
Reviews: 878

Donate
Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:53 pm
View Likes
Demeter wrote a review...



Hey! Almost the last part!

Omg that title, the suspense continues!!

Okay, so I’m kind of getting the feeling I got when Eugene said he’d get expelled because of bad grades. Like “What’s the big deal?” Like, sure, spray painting walls is vandalism, but it doesn’t really seem that scandalous to me? And maybe there’s still more to come to this story, but Liv doesn’t seem that shocked and she also doesn’t question the seriousness of it, which I feel like I would do if I was her. But I do realise that her image of Eugene changes, which it kind of did for me too, like it’s supposed to!

I do like Eugene wanting to quit the band so music wouldn’t be the only thing defining him.

But yeah, I feel like the title provides more excitement than what actually happened. A bit like... that was it? Maybe they could've like, I don't know, shoplifted or something. Not that Eugene even needed to do it, just witness it and didn't say anything. I know that I haven't been friends with Eugene since four years old, so Liv might really feel it stronger, but I'm just not convinced that this is such a terrible thing. Perhaps graffiti are a more serious thing elsewhere? It could be that I don't know enough it to understand the stigma, or something.

However, your writing is brilliant as always, and I can't wait to find out how this all ends! :o (I'm sad to see it end...)


Demeter
x




TriSARAHtops says...


Thank you! Yes, this was something I was concerned about... I knew it had to be something that was legal, but wasn't too serious, either. Shoplifting could be an idea. Thanks for the feedback on that point. Another thing for the rewrites! ;)




Everything is a lot of things!
— Hank Green