z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

The Creek

by Travis


We hop on our bikes,

And ride down the street,

Our wheels thumping,

On the concrete.

We flew down the street,

The wind in our hair,

Whooping and laughing,

Without a single care.

When we arrived,

We jumped right in,

The clear blue water,

Cool against our skin.

The Sun shone down,

Onto the water,

The water’s surface,

Growing hotter.

We splashed water,

At each other,

And then we swam,

After one another.

We skipped stones,

Across the water,

And dunked each other,

Underwater.

We tried to catch,

Fish in our hands,

Along the shore,

Of white sands.

We had a race,

To see who was faster,

My friend swam before me,

And him I swam after.

We dried off,

And went to our bikes,

The Sun casting,

Colorful stripes.

The Sun started,

To set in the west,

To go to the creek again,

Was our one request.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
48 Reviews


Points: 1863
Reviews: 48

Donate
Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:18 am
View Likes
Rosy234 wrote a review...



Hi, here with a review. I really loved your piece, it rhymed, it was descriptive and it was easy to imagine. I liked how you described what they felt and saw. I generally liked how you've explained their day out.Overall, I love it and I look forward to see you write more. I would love to visit this place one day. Quick question is this place made up? Keep writing!

~Rosy234




Travis says...


First off, thank you. Second off, it is a real place. Everything I described and everything we did is legit



Rosy234 says...


WOW



User avatar
117 Reviews


Points: 11345
Reviews: 117

Donate
Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:24 pm
Astronomer wrote a review...



Hello there, Travis!
This is Moonwatcher here with a review! ^-^

I think that the use of poetic device could help this poem out a lot. If you were to use imagery, you would be able to tap into emotions and details much stronger than was presented here.

There's a subtle rhyme that is constant throughout the poem, which I feel could be removed. I'm not too big of a fan when it comes to rhyme, because it's something not really necessary (and a whole lot of people think that it is). Rhyme constricts the reader into a specific set of words/vocabulary. This can cause forced rhyme scheme, which doesn't sound so good. It can also prevent the author from being able to convey certain emotions or feelings. If you were to remove the rhyme, however, it would be a lot easier to add in imagery after (this is your choice, however, and you aren't obligated to do that. If this is form poetry and I'm not aware of this, let me know).

You repeat yourself a lot when transitioning from one scene/moment to the next. With a lot of "We's" and "When's" and "And's" and "After's", which I feel isn't necessary and could be fixed. The poem kind of drones on and on, as well, when it comes to repetition, which I think could be replaced in order to present something new to the reader. Use of stanzas could also help the poem out, but again, that's your choice and isn't something necessary. Just a personal suggestion.

I hope my review helped you out, and have a great day! ^-^




Travis says...


Thank you Moonwatcher. The reason I rhyme in poems is because I like to challenge myself. I appreciate your suggestions and will consider them. thank you again!



User avatar
12 Reviews


Points: 311
Reviews: 12

Donate


I communicate much better on paper than I do when I open my mouth.
— Aaron Sorkin