12+

Sunny Side Down

by Starve

Dust has congealed on the table-top

Because the cloth that used to wipe it

is at the bottom of a laundry pile long overdue.

Because the windows that could’ve kept it dry

Haven’t been shut for too long,

Stuck, rusted at the hinges.

Hair lies greasy and matted

Over blank eyes;

Why clean and brush it

When there’s no reason to look good

And no one to look good for.

Doors lie open, because what they guard is bereft,

of anything worthy of theft.

Life has crusted over it seems,

without hope.

You enter the room,

And the flaky crusts from the grey fan

that once was white, assault you.

Pity shows as you eye the prone form,

masking a flash of disgust, now gone.

A toothy smile and greeting follow

and before I can get a word in, I hear

“ The sun is up, get up, run, get going.

pick up that brush and get your juices flowing

Take the world and paint it rainbow-nice

mute the blues, and bin the stale fried rice.”

It’s another day of one-liner quotes,

shared videos that tell tales

of war veterans and cancer survivors—

myriad cheery dreary tirades.

Your roving eyes suddenly narrow,

as you surreptitiously look for the blades

because why else would there be scratches

in places that shouldn’t be,

in places where you shouldn’t look.

They’re not found and the questions begin;

the day’s barely started and I feel done in.

“Did you sleep late?

Why don’t you stop lying down?

Were you nervous yesterday?

Did every step feel like an ill omen?

Or did you not go at all?

Staying in and stuffing your face

with cheese balls and Adderall?

Exercising helps, studies have found that…

…That was pretty interesting, right?

I told you everything’s easy,

Take a deep breath

and you won’t be queasy.

You need to smile more, y’know?

You have one of the best smiles I’ve seen.

Smiling makes one feel alive, and grow!”

The empty monologue is over,

with a light kick I proffer a stool.

But I do not utter a word,

for what use is a word when

it’s turned into something

even less than vibrating air and thrown,

into the void where all unheeded things go.

You want me to smile and grin and chirp,

not knowing that I do show teeth

Not dainty smiles but wide grimaces

with teeth clenched tight while I push on

Against this bitch of a world.

So tight, that the metallic taste of blood

Dripping from the gums,

Is what makes me feel alive.

You’re trying and I appreciate that,

but are nowhere near guessing why.

Why I lay here, in chaotic depravity,

Alone, tired and immobile.

But when the whole damn world

and human life are so random,

when Chaos reigns supreme

and breaks any attempts by fate

or destiny to rein it in,

how could I be so predictable?

That you could guess what moves me

and what stills the flood within;

No, no. I’m not depressed.

No, I’m not about to end myself.

How could I die,

when the important things are left

when more must cry.

I will make cheeks sting

And if they stay dry,

I will make sure existence itself

feels the tears on its cheeks

Before they are sighted inside.

Before even the chance slight

That I will breathe my last,

should materialize.

So keep the lacerations of your light

to you, because they give me less dark

to observe the true shape of this jagged world.

The dark is not blinding, it’s eye opening.

you skip along, falter and fall and then

The ones below you cut themselves,

pushed by your carelessness

on those edges and get closer to the ground,

where only those with callused feet and callous needs,

tread and bounce.

You look down and see flowers, kittens,

laptops and warm food.

We look up, and see

tremulous wisps of colour

moving piles of fur and bone

pulsating light bouncing off empty eyes

and what remains after the fur and bones.

Don’t worry, I’m not hopeless.

I do see something, and still long for the day

when for every weakening wall,

I spare a glance at the painting

that hides the cracks on it,

and not laugh at the stupidity,

but marvel at the skill.

When I will look at flowers,

And not be outraged by their audacity

but rather, buy a few for someone

before haggling a bit over the price.

However, today’s not that day.

If it ever comes, I’ll make sure you stay.

So when you leave exasperated

And find me sufficiently berated,

I will get up, put on the same dirty shirt,

Throw some food at the table and eat it,

turn off the squeaking fan, then work,

even get cut in the process if I must,

push and pull and adorn my hair with dust

the whole day till I collapse at night

and wait for you to return at first light.

(The prompt was on exploring hope and hopelessness as a necessary part of the human experience.)

Hey Traves! So *many months and many poems later* I've finally gotten to this review! :D Sorry for the excessive wait!

So I'm going to tackle this in a few categories!

Slam Poetry Elements
I would strongly recommend reading this poem out-loud, there were a few elements that I felt were a bit tongue-tied for me when I read it, and it's one of the best ways to figure out if the flow is alright.

One element I liked that you used was repetition - > stanza 1 you have two lines beginning with "because" in stanza 7 you begin two lines with "in places" - > this is a good way to heighten drama, especially if the repetition is done 3 or more times, each repeat have can a heavier or more dramatic description to follow - and vocally repetition also helps people follow what you're saying. If you can fit more of this in - with repeating both line beginnings and sentence structures it'll help for comprehension and listener engagement.

Using the "I" voice in present tense can be very powerful in slam poetry - because the audience will see you as not a narrator but as literally embodying what you're saying - that allows for some interesting internal commentary (like when I write a normal poem, it creates a "breaking of the 4th wall moment" if I say "I'm writing these words to say" -> you can do the same thing much more effectively when your orally reciting a poem. In the last stanza you have good use of I voice and actually the poem feels like it moves from being a description to being more of a conversation/monologue/internal expression.

In this instance, "But I do not utter a word,
for what use is a word when" it felt like you just about did that, except the comment contradicted what was being said. If you say, " I do not utter a word" that's a contradiction that's either ironic or distracting.

Bookending is another good technique I saw you use in this poem. While the middle part meandered into different places, by the end we were back in the same messy room as the beginning of the poem - this helps ground the piece, good idea for a long poem.

Now some techniques I think ought to be used a bit more - you use rhyme and alliteration here and there - but it's inconsistent and doesn't necessarally seem to be instrumental. If you're going to use it sparingly - I'd suggest mainly using it in the most emotional points in the poem or to highlight particular sections. Also in a poem that is spoken out loud sometimes it's actually fun to really go for rhyme and alliteration or playing with word phrasings, it makes the poem feel more "poetic" and makes the lines memorable.

For instance in your last 4 lines you use 2 end rhymes and a bit of alliteration - it's subtle. Here's what I might do if I was trying to hype-up that section or make it excessive;

"even get cut in the process if I must,
the whole day till I collapse at night
and wait for you to return at first light."
^ your version

"let me cut to the chase, i'm not afraid to get cut
to get my butt unstuck, out of this rut, I've gotta try,
not to die, I'll push, pull, press, pray that I grow wings,
and hey here's the other thing, I'll rise, flying bird I will fly and sing,
I'll put on the fuss, adorn this hair with dust, do what I must,
even if it's all just - to collapse in the night,
to wait for hope's return at first light."
^ version with amplified sound-devices

You wouldn't necessarily want every or most sections to sound like that, but having really dramatic sections where it's just dripping with almost too many sound-devices honestly looks a bit dr. seuss-like on the page, but it sounds great when read in longer poem.

Another thing you might try is when you make lists, they should go somewhere. Drama/imagery/metaphor should be heightened with each new description. (for instance do you see in my version above how in the list "push, pull, press, pray that I grow wings" that the last iteration gets the most exciting? If your finding you're descriptions aren't amplifying the image/point, then just condense them.) In some places of this poem it felt like it stopped going anywhere because it was crossing the same territory multiple times - making sure you are being conscious of how you order elements of description as well as putting continuous threads of imagery will help with that.

Interpretation
I found this poem a little bit difficult to interpret as one solid story line, there were different threads that came through, but in the middle especially it became difficult to see how those threads connected. I'd say I interpreted the main issue to be that the person is struggling from a deep depression - and the messiness of their mind is becoming real or maybe just symbolized in what's around them - in their home in their pain in their work. They end up processing through a lot of anger in the middle section, and by the end they are resolved to tell the reader/listener that they're not giving up even it takes everything out of them. Though they're not going to say that it's easy.

A Few Wording Suggestions
"Haven’t been shut for too long," -> I think "have been shut too long" would make more sense, because you almost have double negative going.

I found this description odd -
"Pity shows as you eye the prone form,
masking a flash of disgust, now gone.
A toothy smile and greeting follow" -> "prone form" doesn't evoke a lot of meaning for me, but it didn't seem to fit the other word choice around it, a bit too elevated among the other casual phrasings.

I don't think the stanza with all questions is particularly helpful for moving the narrative along and could perhaps be condensed.

I actually love this unexpected pairing - >
"Staying in and stuffing your face
with cheese balls and Adderall?"

Though I do not follow what's being said here:
"Exercising helps, studies have found that…
…That was pretty interesting, right?" -> if this poem was being delivered orally you put a long scientific quote where the ellipses is and just breeze through it, but it seems like something should go there.

This list of things seems too random: "You look down and see flowers, kittens,
laptops and warm food."

I like the second half of that stanza though a lot.
"We look up, and see
tremulous wisps of colour
moving piles of fur and bone
pulsating light bouncing off empty eyes
and what remains after the fur and bones."
All that is great imagery! 'tremulous wisps of colour' is especially nice phrasing.

If you're working on condensing this poem, which might help it's continuity a bit, what I'd do is write out the poem you want - whatever you need to say, just write it. And then print and take a highlighter and prioritize - > pick 5 of the best phrases, 5 of the second best phrases, see if you can connect those 10 - and then scrap the rest using just the gems left. I have a really difficult time self-editing my poems too, when there's just something that I feel needs to be said - but oftentimes taking a concious effort to wipe out the extra wordage - actually adds more clarity to the piece, rather than taking it away. It's not to say the other parts aren't good, just that it might be better with less words. However for slam poetry, this rule is a bit iffy / because you kind of need some filler if you're going to talk fast, so that people can process the important parts.

This is another really interesting section: "So keep the lacerations of your light
to you, because they give me less dark
you skip along, falter and fall and then"

I would like to see you do more with continuous imagery, maybe with light and dark, or sight and blindness or imagery - in a long poem whether it's a slam poem or otherwise, having some motif or image that is continually pulled along (almost like a supporting character in a novel) helps people connect the poem's movement together so that it feels more continuous rather than fragmented - it'll also help readers from getting lost, if there are multiple images or themes they can latch on to. See if you can work in some more of that light/dark imagery at the beginning if you decide to revisit this.

Overall Impressions

Overall, this has some nice elements of slam poetry in here and I think you can work on a couple techniques here and there, especially in terms of continuity of the piece. One thing I especially liked that I didn't comment on above is that the poem has multiple-toned emotion (I explain that better in my slam poetry KB article) its' not all sad and not all hopeful, but it turns back and forth and processes anger too, this helps keep it interesting and I think makes it more in tune with people's real life experiences.

Nice work Traves, sorry again that it took half a year for me to write a review for this! If I missed anything you wanted feedback on, please let me know, and I'd be happy to discuss more.

-alliyah

Starve says...

Thanks for the review, it made me think of slam poetry performance in a new way.
The poem is exactly a year old and also a first draft so I'll definitely revisit this, probably working on the non slam version first. I'll ask for your feedback again when I do!

Starve says...

Tue May 15, 2018 10:21 am
trulyness wrote a review...

This was great! There's a typo that you should correct - calloused. Other than that, yes, this poem was way too long. And the spacing made it seem even longer! The spacing also takes away the flow. So, I'd recommend you use double space only to separate stanzas. Other than that, everything seems okay to me. It could have been a little more poetic but I think it feels like that on reading it. So, it'd probably sound better if you recite it. Overall, I liked it. Keep it up! :)

Starve says...

Oh, I meant 'callused' (as in the physical condition) .

Spacing really was an issue. Would have tp read up on how to improve that.

Yes it could've been more poetic but I wanted to try something new, so.
I'll probably edit this again soon.

fishsashimi wrote a review...

Hey, Onii-Chan here!
Amazing work! You wrote this really well. One thing that I have to say: this poem was PAINFULLY long. I was almost hoping it would end earlier. It’s just me, but I think you could’ve made it two poems: one exploring hope and the other hopelessness, because apparently the prompt was about those topics. Nevertheless, you did great.

Starve says...

Arigatou gozaimasu

Length of poems has always been a problem for me. This is actually the shortest I have written xD

Starve says...

This was about false and narrow definitions of hope that people who have the privilege to believe in, peddle.

fishsashimi says...

Dou itashimashite

Fri May 04, 2018 3:29 am
SnowGhost says...

This is great :)

Starve says...

Thanks! Really need a review though xD

LonelyMelodies says...

Wow. I am stunned. This is amazing!

Starve says...

Thanks! I'm glad someone liked it.

If we choose, we can live in a world of comforting illusion.
— Noam Chomsky