The War of Innocence

by Konijn

A delicate young girl walks along the cracked sidewalk,
kicking a small pebble in her path.
The streetlights glow dim,
and the stars even duller.
No moon walks the skies that night.
She runs her fingers along the once white fence,
pondering her predicament.
A small teardrop falls upon the ground,
her purity vanishing with it as it soaks into the hard,
cold pavement.
She turns the curb and finds herself at another dead end.
Cornered, alone, afraid,
mad, confused, and crying.
Her emotions are boiling in a blazing fire,
yet dripping gradually consecutively down her cheeks.
A storm rages in her eyes,
but the sweet, spring rain is falling from her eyes.

My innocence has been stolen!
she cries,
so she chooses to take another's.
It waits patiently inside her,
eyes sealed shut and heart fluttering
like leaf being caressed by the wind,
or the butterflies small, gentle wing-beats.
The umbilical cord binding the two bodies
in the infinite bond of mother and child.
The sound of her voice is the melodious music that it longs for,
relaxing it into a precious sleep.
However, inculpability has a price.
It had for her,
and now,
for this child living inside her.
Aroused by a gentle whirring,
the small entity stirs.
A machine awaits for it at the bottom of it’s home,
pulling, tugging, and whispering death into its ears.
Louder and louder,
pain is ripping through its fragile body
as it’s dragged from its only home and into the monstrous vacuum.
No different than clipping her nails, supposedly,
though I’m sure that innocent child would claim a different opinion.

But of course, who are we kidding?
It can’t even speak. 

plathonstone wrote a review...

Hello Tigerlilly37,
even though I am not against abortion I have to say that I found this poem moving. I am someone who is (as I'm sure most people are) against any cruelty towards children. Innocence is a fragile thing to easily stolen. I guess I haven't ever thought of abortion as taking away a child. But as you said yourself the outside world is 'unforgiving', I believe an unborn fetus is better off unborn than in this world. ANYWAY, this is a tricky topic that I don't wish to get too deep into.
I liked this poem, I liked the way it flowed and it was nice to read. The structure was great, starting off light then getting more sinister towards the end only to end with sarcasm. I thought the last like "It can't even speak" was an interesting choice. A fetus can't do a lot of things, was there a particular reason you chose speaking or was it just random? Maybe because it can't tell us it's suffering or? well whatever it is, I'd be interested to know.

Great poem and keep writing.
-plathonstone

Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:33 am
Morrigan wrote a review...

Hello, tigerlilly.

If I'm being honest, which I am, I felt the same way about this when I was your age. Because I didn't understand. I hope you understand what is right some day.

This poem is a self glorifying column that does nothing to sway the other side. I'm assuming that's the purpose of the poem. By whining again about how a fetus is alive and it's "oh so innocent!" you do nothing to show the other side that there is something worth anything about being pro-life. There is nothing here that even makes me feel anything because it's been done a million times.

In order to convince the other side that "abortion is bad" or whatever you believe, you need to use an argument that they would understand. While I am pro-choice, I am pro-choice because I believe that women need to have bodily autonomy when pregnant. That they can do what they want with their bodies. A fetus is part of that. While I would probably not get an abortion myself because yes, they are terrible, I believe that it is a right that women should have. Now what you have to do is convince me somehow that abortion is not a feminist idea. Probably not going to happen, but this is true for all arguments of this sort. Convince whoever that what they believe in doesn't go with their overall ideas and you've got them. Or at least you've begun to sway them.

I noticed that you said that "most abortions are made because the child is simply an inconvenience to the mother." How do you know this? Do you know anyone who has had an abortion? Or are you simply regurgitating the conservative rhetoric that you've heard on TV? Take a second and think about it. Do you think that women are just waltzing into the clinic, handing over more than $500 dollars with a soft and sweet voice, and walking away without any remorse? Someone once said, "A woman does not want an abortion like she wants an ice cream cone, a new dress, or a Porsche; she wants an abortion like an animal caught in a trap wants to gnaw off its own leg to escape.” Abortion is not the first choice. It is a last resort.

On the poem front, use more vivid imagery (include ALL of the five senses), and break your lines on strong words. As in, don't end a line on "it's" or in the middle of a phrase. A common complaint throughout the comments below include the fact that you use innocence and its variants too much. I agree. Also, make sure you're always using the right "it's."

as it's
drug from its only home

Drug should be dragged.

I hope that this review proves useful to you somehow. Keep writing.

Konijn says...

Actually I said that because it is a legitimate fact that 2/3 abortions are because of convenience. My mother had 3 abortions and 6 children. Knowing that I was incredibly close to not existing does help fuel my anger towards this subject. I agree that in some situations such as rape, incest, etc. that the mother may feel like abortion is a last resort, however I believe that giving a child up for adoption is a much better way out than removing the child and, ultimately, killing a living being. As far as costs go, actually having the child costs way more than abortions, which again comes back to the convenience statement that I began with. In fact, it costs around $3,500. So $500 for abortions isn't nearly as harsh as harsh as actually having the child.

Thank you for giving your honest opinion, and my bad for rambling. I am working on my second draft of this poem and fixing it up so it's better and states more than just one side of the debate. (Also thanks for finding that grammatical mistake!) Have a nice day.

Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:53 am
TheShauzer wrote a review...

Hey TigerLilly,
this is excellent.

I love what you did with this. I mean, it's such a complex topic and there are so many 'what-if's' and 'but's' and what not. But you just crushed them all. I swear, I've never felt more strongly about this topic than I do right now. You would make a greatly poetic debatist (is that what they're called? Can't be 'debate person'...) if you ever chose that route. But I would never think that you should, because this is pure, natural poetry. It's something you clearly care about and that's evident in the way that the piece poured out. There was no flaw in the flow, no misunderstandings or grammatical tumbles... There was no falter in your attempt to express yourself, and because of that you did it really, really well. The only advice I could give you is to keep writing like this - passionately. Every time you write get into that focused mind-set because when you do (apparently) the result is incredibly powerful.

Also, great topic you chose to write about, I hate when people avoid writing things for confrontational issues - these things need to be written! And by the way, just on an edit - if you felt it was a good idea - maybe add in a stanza at the very start (kind of like your finish at the end) describing a boy's life. Maybe he's a teen, or a ten year old - whatever. But describe it, in not too much detail (you don't want it too long, I'm sure) but with just as much passion as the rest of the piece. Then at the end say - obviously in a more poetic way than I am here - that the life doesn't exist. Then without any explanation delve straight into the main body. JUST a suggestion, if you don't like it don't do it :)

Hoping I helped, because your piece was the most powerful I've seen in a while. So much truth, so raw :D Please continue to write with such passion, it really is what makes a poem.
Yours in ink,
TS.

Konijn says...

Oh wow! Your idea of adding a stanza at the beginning is actually quite inspiring! Thank you so much for that! And many many thanks for your compliments, they mean a lot to me!

TheShauzer says...

No problem :) Glad I could help!

Amabilia wrote a review...

Cakerissa here!
This is a good poem, Tigerlilly37! I really liked all your imagery. It's probably just me('cause I'm extremely innocent-minded) but I was a little confused on what the vacuum was. This is what happens to so may different babies. I loved how you decided to go deeper into the topic and write from the baby's point of view. And how you threw in that little hint of how the mother had a hard love life, "An innocence wrapped up tight, dependant upon this woman who refuses to be a mother." For grammar, you spelled dependent wrong. Keep writing!
Cakerissa

Konijn says...

Thank you for noticing that!! I'll fix it right away!

Konijn says...

Oh, and the vacuum is basically the machine used where doctors go in and remove the baby from the mothers womb during the first trimester of pregnancy.

KingQueenKnave wrote a review...

Hi there. KingQueenKnave here, and it's time to look into this poem of yours. It is about abortion, which is a controversial topic. You offer your side of the controversy by voicing your opposition to abortion, declaring that the baby is innocent. You are also brutal in your final line, offering how you view those who support abortion.

Personally, I support a woman's right to abort a pregnancy at the first twelve weeks of pregnancy. I support the choice, but I'm not exactly happy about the abortion process, and I oppose it when a woman decides to abort late in the pregnancy. That is my stance of the issue, and that will influence my review of your poem, which is in opposition to my view. That is inevitable.

Now, your first mistake is that you use the words innocence and innocent way too much. It really detracts from your poem and presents your argument to be incredibly weak. "Babies are innocent!" "What else do you not support about abortion?" "Uhh...babies are innocent!" It's just an example of circular logic. Secondly, you are assuming too much of the mother. There are varying reasons why women decide to abort their pregnancy, perhaps due to medical reasons or because they cannot afford it or because they were raped, and you do not touch on any of those issues.

Now, this poem wasn't entirely bad. In fact, your language and style are very eloquent and rather beautiful in places. Take the use of "monstrous vacuum", or the "little cave of flesh". Those moments are really lovely.

However, what cannot be ignored is your straw-manning of those who are pro-choice. Again, like mothers who decide to abort, you paint pro-choicers under the same brush as ignorant and materialistic. What's more, I detect a bitterness in your tone with that last stanza. The problem with your generalisations is that they have no place in a work which tries to tackle a controversial issue.

I admire you for offering your perspective and I think you are a good writer. However, from a personal standpoint, I disagree with you too much to enjoy this poem.

Konijn says...

Thank you for your honest opinion! I do not think that every woman who aborts or supports it is materialistic, but most abortions are made because the child is simply an inconvenience to the mother, and that fueled my anger and made me write this poem. I understand situations like rape and such are inevitable, but often I feel it would be best to just give the child up for adoption so someone who wants a kid or may not be able to have kids can take them into their loving home. I will change my poem to express a bit more of my opinion rather than focusing on that one standpoint, because I do agree with the fact that I need to expand my topic.

Thank you for your time and have a wonderful day!

LadySpark wrote a review...

I'm not going to comment on the topic you've chosen, since it's very political, so we'll just focus on the poem itself, yeah? :)

An innocence awaits,

Innocent, dear.

That place inside her is all it’s ever known,
burrowed in the flesh and tissue; it’s only refuge

its*

You use the word innocent too much. You need to find a different word or phrase, because it's just repetitive and gets to be very annoying. In fact, this entire poem is very repetitive. You use very similar language throughout and it just seems to drag on. I honestly don't have much to say on the poem besides that. Your imagery is weak throughout this entire poem. Your metaphors are quite literal and just a little too trite for my taste. Work on your imagery and language, and your poem will be much better.

Spark

JoytheBrave wrote a review...

Tigerlilly,

This is amazing. This is awful. I don't know how to respond. You took infanticide, abortion, and dressed it in beautiful words. You took a problem in society that is so covered up with excuses that most people just ignore it, and you pushed it out into the light. I love the honesty in this piece. Thank you for having the courage to speak out.

The last lines were especially powerful. They left me with tears in my eyes. The trust the baby feels before it is killed really impacted me too.

Keep writing,
Joy

Inspiredravens wrote a review...

Hey there! *trumpets sounding* Its Ravens here for a review!

To start off, well done :D You made the feeling of the poem circulate perfectly around the child inside the womb and I could hear it and feel it- awesome!

I would like to talk about a few things though (since that is the point of a review...)

So, #1

Eyes sealed shut, its small heart flutters at the sound of her voice/ soft and sweet, a comforting melody that lulls it into a false security

Each line in a poem should be impact. These two lines could easily be made into four which would also draw more attention to what you are saying. It also creates a smaller feel to it- a simpler intelligence which the baby has.

That cord attached to its belly is its only means of life,
the only source of nutrients and oxygen.

I feel like these lines could be more symbolic if you wanted. You speak of the umbilical cord literally, but it seems to be so much more than that to you, as if you had more you wanted to say. I mean, this is your poem so you can do whatever you want, but your airy tone is lot in the rock throwing of this.

A machine awaits for it at the bottom it’s home

I think you forgot an "of" here and its absence made me stumble while reading a little...

But of course, who are we kidding?
It can’t even speak.

I LOVE these lines because this is my rant against society too, but I'm not sure that it fits well with you poem. Your poem is advocating for the life of the innocent, yet you turn to almost yell at someone else. For the sake of your poem, in my opinion, I would turn this so that the baby (who is the center of your poem) somehow seems to be thinking or feeling this- their cry that can't escape because they can't speak- his/her life in someone else's hands

But If you want to keep it then I like it all the same, I think it is a brave move to make.

Overall, awesome poem! Feel free to not take my suggestions if you don't want to- but never stop writing :D

Keep it up!

Konijn says...

Thank you so much for this wonderful review! I agree 100% about pretty much everything you mentioned, and I plan on going back and editing my poem to make it even better. Thank you for your time and have a nice day! :)

There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
— W. Somerset Maugham