A Chance to Fly A Chance to Fall ~Prologue

by Konijn, XPresidentTurtlesX

Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for violence.

I cry out in pain as my mother pins me to the ground, her leather belt in one hand. Snap! Another lash across my lower back and I begin to go into a full blown panic, feeling as though I can't breathe. I struggle with all my might to get away, though it's no use. She’s sitting on top of my legs, preventing me from moving. Snap! I let out a hiss, clawing at the ground as she finally begins to get off of me. “Perhaps that’ll teach you not to run from me when I punish you.” She sneers, putting her belt back on. I shakily rise off the floor, not taking my eyes off of her for a moment. Teardrops form at the edges of my eyes, though I refuse to let them fall. I wait until she turns and walks back into her room before running up the stairs and into the bathroom. Only when the door clicks shut do I let the tears fall. I cry quietly, not wanting to let anyone hear me. I can’t give her the satisfaction of seeing me weak.

I dab my nose with tissue paper and wipe the tears from my eyes. I am strong. Stronger than she’d ever know. Anger now tears through me like a knife and it becomes harder to control. My vision is blinded by hatred for all living things, including myself. I stay in the bathroom, refusing to come out until she leaves for work. Then I travel slowly down the stairs, taking a knife from its place. I hesitate for a moment, staring at the dull silver blade, then viciously drag it across my arm. Over and over, the blade slides easily into my flesh and leave marks dripping red. Sighing, I rinse off the knife and put it back in its place. I look down at my arm now dripping blood onto the floor and stick it under the faucet as well. The crimson droplets flow down the drain, and i dab my arm dry with a paper towel. I put on my black jacket, careful to make sure that the cuts were covered. Walking over to the dining room, I sit down and stare at the wall, not thinking, not feeling, probably not even being. I just was.

☬☬☬

Maximum Rhyne, please come to the office to sign out. Thank you. The speaker blares statically overhead. I stand up, confused of what was going on, and grab my book bag. I leave the class without saying goodbye, not that anyone had offered me one in the first place. Truth be told, I had no friends. In fact, almost everyone hated me. Not that I really cared. 

Still, I had no idea why I would be leaving when my mother almost never picked me up unless absolutely necessary. Which it usually isn't, considering I have a car and drive myself wherever I need to go. I grab my stuff from my locker and head to the office, only to find that she is not standing there. I warily step up to the front desk,

“Um, I was told to come to check out?”

An elderly lady looks up at me from her paperwork. "Ah, yes, you must be Maximum. Come right this way and we’ll explain to you what's going on.”

She gives me a reassuring smile and leads me through the office, taking me into an office with a stranger waiting in the room. Panic fills my stomach. Who was this lady?

She's slim and wearing a knee length skirt and dress shirt. Her hair is feathery and long, and with her she holds a briefcase, so I can assume she's some sort of business lady. Her skin was so white she could be Voldemort and her hair was a deep sunset red. Her face was dotted with several freckles. She smiles at me, gesturing for me to take a seat in a nearby chair. The lady from the desk stands beside me, placing one hand on my shoulder, almost as if to comfort me. Before I can ask what's going on, the business lady closes the door and immediately begins to speak, “Hello Maximum. My name is Lorelei, and I work with Social Services.”

“So?” Butterflies flitter in my stomach

“Yes, right. Well, I’ve had a few reports come in saying that your mother has clearly not been treating you well. Long story short, we have recently undergo an at-home investigation and have decided to do an immediate evacuation...” Her words blur in my mind and I can only sit there, smiling like an idiot. 

kathryn wrote a review...

This is a good start to the story. There were a few things that I saw while reading that I wanted to mention.

There were a few spelling mistakes that I could see but those are an easy fix if you just go back through and read. It's mostly just putting words in the right tenses in their sentences.

Example: "we have recently undergo an at home..." - "we have recently undergone and at home..."

Make sure to separate your dialogue so that people can read it easier. If you have everyone speaking in the same paragraph the reader can't tell who is who.

Questions: How does she feel dragging the knife across her arm? We know that she's angry and that the beating caused her pain but how does she feel when she hurts herself? Does the pain just float away and she becomes numb? If that's the case tell us that. You have to take us deep into the mind of the reader so that we can know exactly what it feels like to be in their shoes.

How did the social workers find out about her abuse? Lorelei could go into a few specifics as to who told.

If you don't want to elaborate anymore in how she feels in the first part you don't have to but it's always good to be able to dive a little deeper into the mind of the character.

I hope this is helpful to you. Keep up the good work!

Konijn says...

Thanks so much for the review it's very helpful!

A quick note on dialogue: Start a new paragraph when there's a new speaker. (I used to run all the dialogue together like this until someone pointed that out to me.) So this paragraph, for example:

Maximum Rhyne, please come to the office to sign out. Thank you. The speaker blares statically overhead. I stand up, confused of what was going on, and grab my bookbag. I leave the class without saying goodbye, not that anyone had offered one in the first place. Truth be told, I had no friends. In fact, almost everyone hated me. Still, I had no idea why I would be leaving when my mother almost never picked me up unless absolutely necessary. Which it usually isn't, considering I have a car and drive myself wherever I need to go. I grab my stuff from my locker and head to the office, only to find that she is not standing there. I warily step up to the front desk, ¨Um, I was told to come to check out?” An elderly lady looks up at me from her paperwork. ¨Ah, yes, you must be Maximum. Come right this way and we’ll explain to you what's going on.” She gives me a reassuring smile and leads me through the office, taking me into an office with a stranger waiting in the room. Panic fills my stomach. Who was this lady?

To break it up a little and make it clearer who is speaking, it should look more like this:

Maximum Rhyne, please come to the office to sign out. Thank you.

The speaker blares statically overhead. I stand up, confused of what was going on, and grab my bookbag. I leave the class without saying goodbye, not that anyone had offered one in the first place. Truth be told, I had no friends. In fact, almost everyone hated me. Still, I had no idea why I would be leaving when my mother almost never picked me up unless absolutely necessary. Which it usually isn't, considering I have a car and drive myself wherever I need to go. I grab my stuff from my locker and head to the office, only to find that she is not standing there. I warily step up to the front desk.

¨Um, I was told to come to check out?”

An elderly lady looks up at me from her paperwork. ¨Ah, yes, you must be Maximum. Come right this way and we’ll explain to you what's going on.”

See how much easier this is to read? Now it's clear to readers who is speaking and when. I also chose to italicize the first line, since it's spoken over the PA system rather than a person talking directly to another person - that's not required, it's just something I think helps clarify that this isn't regular speech. Additionally, you could choose to keep that line with the rest of the paragraph rather than breaking it up, but I chose to do so for stylistic purposes. So that's just something I wanted to bring to your attention about that.

Obviously we can see why Maximum is relieved to leave her mother, but I'm wondering: How did they find out she was being abused? I feel like she didn't tell anyone herself. Now, a belt is going to leave some marks, plus she cuts herself, so if she doesn't wear long sleeves people can see those marks, too. Teachers are required by law (at least in the U.S., I don't know about elsewhere) to report suspected abuse, so most likely I feel like one of her teachers noticed either the marks or her behavior and called Child Services, or maybe even just met her mother and got a bad vibe.

In that case, I'd suggest first of all letting us meet such a teacher. Perhaps that teacher is in the office for this meeting, or maybe it's the teacher whose class Maximum is called out of.

Also, I believe Child Services has to perform some sort of investigation before removing a child from her home. You'll have to look into this to be sure - would they remove Maximum if she says, "Yes, my mom beats me," and do the investigation later, or would they be required to do an investigation first? The point is, there's going to be more to this than just, "Someone told us you were being abused, and now we're getting you out of there."

Although, I'm definitely glad that's happening. I'm just saying, it would be nice to see more of this prior to or during her meeting with Lorelei - even just to see Maximum's thoughts, like how she hasn't told anyone but someone noticed anyway and cared enough to call Child Services, you know? Just something to think about.

BlueAfrica

Konijn says...

Thank you so much for the review! I posted this before editing just to see what people thought I should do with it before actually starting the story. I love getting feedback on plots and things that I should change before actually writing it because later on it will become progressively hard to change without completely rewriting the story.
So once again, thanks so much for the incredible review! I will be going back later on and doing some revisions and if you would like, I can PM you when I finish.

Konijn says...

Well, I suppose that took less time than I thought. I'm already done! :P

BluesClues says...

You're welcome! I'm glad it was helpful.

Pan wrote a review...

This is chilling, and it really takes a good story to chill me. I have goosebumps. Wow.

Though it's a good plot, you might need some revising.

Snap! I let out a hiss, clawing at the ground as she finally begins to get off of me. ¨Perhaps that’ll teach you not to run from me when I punish you.”

First, think about spacing. Having it all bundled up in one paragraph makes your story seem rushed, and even though this is *just* the prologue, you want to space things out. Try not to tell what's happening outright, instead try to make it more mysterious, like you have to read a little deeper to understand what's really happening. Space it out, add mystery.

Maximum Rhyne, please come to the office to sign out. Thank you. The speaker blares statically overhead.

This should be a paragraph on it's own, and if you don't want to use quotation marks, make it italicized.

Once again, i need to stress the importance of spacing. You have to keep your readers interested, and although it is a good plot, you don't want to give it all away at once. Instead of having Lorelei tell her all of it at once, end the prologue with her introducing herself and then ending with a bold statement, such as, "My name is Lorelei, and you won't be seeing your mother for a long time." or something with the same kind of impact.

Again, this really gave me chills. Good job.

As always, keep writing, reviewing, and definitely keep reading.
-Pan

Konijn says...

I am very thankful for your review! As I have said to another reviewer, I had decided to not edit until I got feedback in case anything needed to be changed in the plot. However, I will be revising soon and will keep these things in mind when I do so. Thanks for the wonderful review and if you like, I'll PM you when I am done editing or if you would like to continue reading the story.

Pan says...

That would be great, thank you!

Light griefs are loquacious, but the great are dumb.
— Seneca