z

Young Writers Society


12+ Language Violence

A Merry Band of Monsters - Chapter 6

by deleted221222


“So, you’re Cho Senone, the previous chosen one,” Gallant said.

“Yes, that’s what I said exactly five seconds ago,” Cho the wolf puppy replied flatly.

“Well, I just thought we needed to re-elaborate it, just in case everyone didn’t get the message.”

“It seems like you’re the only one here that needed that.” Cho jerked his head towards the other monsters in the room, all nodding their heads in agreement.

“Don’t worry about him. He’s an idiotic knave,” Vegemite muttered, to Gallant’s chagrin. “However, this chosen one business is something I can barely believe. Do you have any more proof?”

“You saw me cast Angel. A wolf pup, doing what a room of priests struggle to do.”

“Fair point.”

“Hey! Chompy! Are you in there!” Grace yelled out into Cho’s ear. His enhanced hearing amplified the half-dragon’s yelling, and he cowered on the ground, covering his ears with his paws.

“Shut up for one moment, you daft lizard!” Cho yelled. Grace had a look of betrayal, but backed away regardless. Free of the noise, Cho began to explain. “The one you call Chompy, he’s still in this body. Rather, it seems that our minds have combined to a degree that he’s influencing my very thoughts.”

“Actually, it seems to be the opposite,” Vegemite added. “You, as a spirit, are invading dear Chompy’s body, and therefore you’re the one influencing his. You’re lucky that the one pup Grace brought had a big enough magical capacity to hold something even a diamond couldn’t.”

“Yes… Now that you say that, it does seem like I’m the outsider here. The lizardman picked this body, correct? He has a good sense for magic capabilities.”

“Guys, why’re we dealing with logistics?” Gallant asked. “Half of us here are idiots! Why are we dealing with complicated magic system explanations now? Deal with it after when it’s actually relevant!”

“And what do you propose we talk about now, black knight?” Cho asked.

“Like why the fuck are you here in that dog’s body!”

“Well, it’s obvious. Cho’s spirit here had entered the body of Chompy due to the wolf’s high magical capability,” Vegemite answered. “We were going to converse complicated magic systems so that we all could fully comprehend what had happened. You know, if there’s anyone that hasn’t gotten that by now. Otherwise, some of us may not get explanations until much later on.”

“Not that!” Gallant said through grit teeth. “If spirit Cho here, then why is body Cho in the capital city, sitting on the throne!”

“He’s doing what?” Cho asked. “That evil twisted bastard, sitting on the throne? This can’t be!”

“You sound like you know who it is.”

“Because I do! Who do you think hijacked my body while leaving my soul here?”

The band of monsters and the pride demons exchanged glances with each other, trying to guess in their heads who could have done such a thing. Cho strained his paw trying to facepalm himself.

“Demon King Vorigan.”

“Oh!” everyone exclaimed in unison.

“You’re all a bunch of idiots,” Cho sighed, before returning to his previous point. “When I had engaged him alone inside this room, Vorigan used some kind of magic to remove his soul from his body and move into mine. Because of the power overflow, I was kicked out, along with most of my magic. It wasn’t until recently that I gained enough power to see, let alone detected by your ritual magic.”

“You didn’t think of taking Vorigan’s body?”

“Don’t think I would freely taint my own soul with a demon king’s body.”

“Typical Cho,” Gallant muttered.

“Anyways, after Vorigan took my body, he hid it away here.” Cho sauntered up to a wall, ripping off one of the longer banners with his teeth and a bit of holy magic. Behind was a small compartment, where a rotting corpse laid, down to its last scraps of flesh.

“You’re telling me that my rival’s corpse laid here in my throne room for eight years, and none of you attempted to remove it!” Vegemite flared.

“W-well, it was the only thing keeping demons here a-alive,” the lead pride demon explained. “Besides, if you were so against it, y-you would’ve said something about the s-smell.”

“I don’t have a nose, you nincompoop!” Vegemite held his hand out as a purple magic circle formed behind him. Eldritch tentacles and tendrils shot out, stabbing and grabbing the pride demon, before brutally ripping it into pieces and dragging them back through. The portal closed with a small burp coming out.

“By High Goddess!” Cho cried out at the sight. Everyone else paused from the horror to mutter between themselves.

Grace leaned down and whispered into his ear, “Yeah, that’s just a regular occurrence with Veggy. He likes to execute people in tons of brutal ways. You’ll get used to it eventually.”

“I… I don’t think I will… I mean, I cut demons into bits, but that… That was too much,” Cho muttered. Vegemite ignored the wolf pup’s comments as he turned to Vorigan’s corpse. With a flick of his wrist, a portal formed underneath it, and massive razor sharp teeth consumed the body, dragging it under.

“Bleh, this corpse barely has anything left!” Vegemite complained. “Anyways, you may continue, Cho.”

Cho took a moment to wipe the sight from his recent memory before addressing the room again. “Well, currently, based on what the black knight said, Vorigan’s currently ruling Asteria. Since he’s in my body, no one will attempt to look for a chosen one to defeat him, thereby making his rule uncontested. We’re talking fate of the world levels of bad right now.”

“Well, you’re in luck old chap,” Grace said, swinging his arm. “Us three here are on a quest to defeat you, all for our own particularly nefarious reasons.”

“Particularly nefarious reasons?” Cho had a look of confusion on his face. The merry band took it as a challenge as they stepped forward proudly.

“By killing the chosen one, I will have guaranteed my spot as next demon king. With that, I’d be one step closer to achieving godhood!” Vegemite explained confidently.

“Chosen ones are rich, right? I’m going to take your riches, convert it to nickels, and have a bed larger than my own mother’s!” Grace exclaimed.

“Once I kill you, the chosen one cycle will reset, thereby allowing me to become the sacrificial mentor to the next one!” Gallant pumped his arm.

“That’s…Some of the most idiotic dribble I’ve ever heard!’ Cho yelled, surprising the merry band. “Becoming a god? That’s one of the most optimistically evil things I’ve ever heard. You can never become a god! And you, lizardman. You plan to rob me of my riches just for a bed! What are you, a dragon? Real dragons don’t have beds made of nickels! And finally, black knight! What do you mean by reset the cycle? It’s already been reset!”

The merry band stood in silence towards the wolf pup. Grace curled up, stressed by Cho’s harsh tone. Gallant seemed to be contemplating the answer he received. Vegemite, however, was the most negative looking out of all. The black orb formed behind him as he raised his hands. Cho cowered at the sight.

“It seems we’ve extracted all useful information from this weak little chosen one. How about I send him to the belly of Glowsigidarus the World Eater as punishment for talking back?”

“Wait, say that last thing again, Chompy,” Gallant said, moving himself between the scared puppy and the angry lich.

“M-my name’s Cho, not Chompy. And as I said before that the cycle reset. There’s a new chosen one out there.”

“Seriously?”

Cho nodded. “I can no longer feel the power of the Goddess, even in this body. By that knowledge, I can only surmise that someone else has been given that privilege.”

“So, Demon King Vorigan is still alive, and there’s a new chosen one…”

“Yes… Must you repeat everything said to you. You remind me of my close friend.”

“Then, can’t we just have the new chosen one kill Vorigan while we reap the rewards?” Grace asked, peeking from his ball.

“That was what I was going to offer… Wait, reap the rewards?”

“I see,” Vegemite muttered. His orb disappeared and he returned to a neutral disposition. “This can work well to my favour. If I corrupt the chosen one, then I’ll have a powerful pawn I can use on my conquest to become demon king! Or I can eat them!”

“Wait, no… That’s not what I meant-”

“That settles it then,” Gallant bellowed. “Us three will find the chosen one and use them to kill Vorigan for us! It’s genius!”

“...I regret telling you three about this.”

“Great!” Grace exclaimed, roaring into the air. “So… What do we do now?”

“I’d assume we have to find the chosen one,” Vegemite offered. “You can’t really train one without them.”

“That’s easy enough,” Cho said. “We’ll just ask Merlin.”

“...Merlin?” Gallant asked.

“Yes, Merlin. The one who unveils the status of the next chosen one. There’s this whole ceremony and everything. With his help, we can easily find the next one.”

“Oh… That Merlin… Yeah, he’s dead.”

“What?”

“Dead. Donzo. Not alive anymore. Passed away. Whatever you want to call it.”

Cho started to visibly sweat now. “W-what are you talking about. Merlin is an all-powerful demigod, chosen by the Goddess herself to declare who the next chosen one is. He’s lived for over 3000 years! Who killed him?”

“Liver cancer.”

“That… That can’t be…”

“Oh, it is. We actually stuffed his body here so no one would look for him,” Gallant explained. He walked over to the throne, pushing it off the elevated platform. Underneath was another rotting body, this time in a fancy wizard hat. “Ooh, looks like he decomposed far quicker than Mr. Demon King over there.”

“You’re telling me that this room not only contained the previous demon king, but also a demigod? Who knew about this?” Vegemite asked. Nearly all of the pride demons raised their hands.

“S-sorry, Lord Vegemite. It’s just that, along Demon King Vorigan’s corpse, Merlin’s sustained us since the end of the war,” the pride demon chuckled. Vegemite looked less than pleased.

“Grace, Knave, beast, we’re leaving. Right now,” Vegemite ordered. He raised his hand, creating a brown magical circle. A moment later, the wall of the throne room opened up into a massive hole. He floated through as the pride demons skittered around frantically. Gallant shrugged, following the lich out. Grace picked up Cho by the scruff of his neck before going through the hole last.

Vegemite repeated the process two more times, one on the palace walls and one on the outer walls. He really wanted to leave as soon as possible. The merry band finally reached the outside as Vegemite grumbled to himself. The Demon King’s castle looked much less menacing with three giant holes leading in.

“Stand back,” Vegemite muttered. Gallant and Grace happily obliged while Vegemite summoned his black orb again. The lich waved his hands several times, bloodlust apparent in his flickering pupils. “This is what you get for calling Vorigan your demon king.”

A giant portal formed underneath the castle. Screams could be heard as the portal finished. That looked to be the end of it, before two massive jaws came up from the portal, swallowing and dragging the castle inside. The screams only loudened as the demons begged for their lives. Cho’s face was in utter shock as he watched the entire population of the Demon King’s lands die because their lich overlord was being fussy.

“Enjoy the meal, Glowsigidarus,” Vegemite said as the portal closed. He turned his attention back to his comrades, his skull exuding a much more calm and pristine aura. “I’m sorry about that. I may have gotten a bit carried away.”

“Yeah, it seemed a bit too harsh,” Grace muttered.

“Anyways, how about we go back. We won’t find this chosen one by just sitting around,” Vegemite offered. Gallant and Grace nodded their heads, and the trio started to walk away from the empty flatland that used to be the Demon King’s castle. “Oh, and beast? You may refer to me as Overlord Vegemite.”

“Yes…Overlord Vegemite,” Cho muttered, afraid of the lich’s power. If he still had access to the Goddess’s, then he could take the monster on. In the body of a wolf pup… not so much.

“Right, forgot about introductions. I’m Grace,” Grace chuckled, placing Cho on his forehead. “And that guy over there is Gallant.”

“G-Gallant? You mean, Gallant Hightower?”

“Yo.” Gallant waved to the wolf pup. The lingering aura coming from Vorigan’s and Merlin’s corpses ceased, and the curse affecting Gallant wore off. His black armour wore off, and he returned to his regular pale pink colour.

“You’re siding with these monsters?” Cho asked. “And what was that black colouration? You never had any magical aptitude!”

“I guess you could say that I was cursed, ol’ buddy ol’ pal. Now’s not the time, though. I’m tired,” Gallant chuckled, before picking up his pace. And thus, Cho was left with very few answers and too many questions about this murderous band of monsters.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
275 Reviews


Points: 15319
Reviews: 275

Donate
Sun May 27, 2018 3:10 pm
elysian wrote a review...



Happy review day! <3 As I have not read any previous chapters, I will only be giving general comments :-)

“So, you’re Cho Senone, the previous chosen one,” Gallant said.


it would make more sense to end his dialogue in a question mark.

“Yes, that’s what I said exactly five seconds ago,” Cho the wolf puppy replied flatly.


*wolf-puppy

honestly, this is hard for me to review since I haven't been following the chapters and I'm honestly kind of confused xD I will say it seems that you have a very complex story and I'm guessing there has been a lot leading up to this point. (considering it's the sixth chapter I would hope so). It is clear that there is conflict happening which is always good, as you get more into the story there should be a clear problem arising.

I really enjoy the fact that you added some humor in there to make it more interesting to read, even for me, someone that has no clue what is happening xD So hopefully you can continue to add that in as your story progresses.

I honestly don't have much else to say, considering that I don't really understand your story (again, due to my lack of background knowledge), but I hope this helped in some ways!

happy review day!!

<333

- Del




User avatar
351 Reviews


Points: 11482
Reviews: 351

Donate
Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:58 pm
Kanome wrote a review...



Hello, Thundahguy. I am here to provide you a review in honor of Review Day. Let’s get started, shall we?

Impression on Story thus far:


I still enjoyed the dark humour in the storyline, it keeps the seriousness of the story not too serious, which is good. Everyone loves a little comic relief. Now it seems we have reached the primary conflict of the storyline, which is the trio will have to find the chosen one to kill this demon lord. I liked how the story builds up steadily, hopefully it will keep remaining like that until you finish the novel. I am enjoying Vegemite’s character so far. He is just so deliciously evil, it’s wonderful. He seems the type where he’ll end up caring about someone else other than himself, or something to that effect. Grace’s character is more of a comic relief to me, he provides the humour in the story to release all the seriousness in the plot. I have yet to know about Gallant except that he is cursed… I guess I will learn more about him later on in the story.

Nitpicks & Stuff:


This is probably just me, but you didn't give me detail about Merlin. Maybe you are going explain about more of who he is in future chapters?

Overall Conclusion:


Overall, another amazing chapter. The characters’ development has become complex and interesting to connect with. I enjoyed reaching to the major conflict of the storyline so now their real adventure actually begins. I hope to learn more about Merlin the demigod, he seems important in the story. Maybe not at this moment, but sometime in the future. Keep up the great work. Keep writing and enjoy the rest of your day. Can’t wait for the next chapter to read.

- Kanome





In the winter months, gale storms in Svalbard can reach wind speeds of 130 km/h. Accompanied by or following snowfall, such storms can reduce visibility dramatically, more so in the winter months of the polar night. During these storms, travel is not advised.
— The Documentarian