z

Young Writers Society



You Say

by ThornedRose


You Say

You say you won't leave,
You will.
You say life is a game that has no rules,
It does.

You say I'm just stupid
for thinking like this,
I'm not.
You say there's no point,
There is!

I think I'm done
You won't listen.
I'm trying to give you the help,
You just won't take it.

So I say, I'm done.

Most of this poem is actually inspired by my friend who had just told me that he is an atheist... So if you get it, great... if not, that's ok.. Thanks to all who reviewed, I'll try to take them all into consideration. =)


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
83 Reviews


Points: 4120
Reviews: 83

Donate
Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:11 pm
SkyeDreamer says...



Well, this is a late review, but just wanted to say that this is good! It is punchy, like others have said, and I could definitely get the meaning. So... nice!




User avatar


Points: 1040
Reviews: 1

Donate
Mon May 23, 2011 10:17 pm
ThornedRose says...



Thank you all for your comments and suggestions, I will try to take all of them into consideration as I write new poems.




User avatar
562 Reviews


Points: 719
Reviews: 562

Donate
Sun May 01, 2011 5:36 am
Button wrote a review...



Hi there!

So, I felt like this poem had a lot of emotion back it up, but wasn't really able to express it in a relate-able manner. See, you built the majority of this on contradictions, blunt, bonedry without much imagery. This means that yes, for the most part, we have a vague idea of what's going on and what you want us to feel. However, we aren't really able to feel it. You aren't allowing us. You need to create an element of understanding for us through imagery and tones that we can relate to. Right now you are "telling" when we you to be "showing".

Next thing: structure. You have each line separate from one another, which creates a pretty jarring rhythm. Remember that one sentence can cross over lines; it creates fluidity, both in concepts and in rhythm.

Last thing, which is more of a nitpick than anything else. The repetition at the bottom is driving me crazy. When you use something like that and repeat it that quickly, it becomes almost distracting for the reader because they're too focused on the word. I don't know if you were simply trying to create emphasis or something, but I would strongly suggest changing it.

Overall, nice piece. Let me know if you have any questions and I'd be glad to answer them.




User avatar
53 Reviews


Points: 1244
Reviews: 53

Donate
Sun May 01, 2011 4:47 am
EtCetera wrote a review...



Your username actually is the thing that intruiged me. Your poem seems very well started, but maybe you shouldn't have broken the rhythm so much... I totally ripped someone apart for saying that about my poetry, so I understand if you're offended. I definitely like how you're stating all of these contradictions in life through your poetry. Well writ.




User avatar
36 Reviews


Points: 1115
Reviews: 36

Donate
Sun May 01, 2011 4:16 am
HaydenMacaw wrote a review...



As stated by previous reviewers, the rythm is great. If you can condense

You say I'm just stupid
for thinking like this,
I would, for purposes of flow.
The couplets pair up pretty well, except for in the second stanza. The connection is not clear.
Great premise, Great poem :)




User avatar
378 Reviews


Points: 1276
Reviews: 378

Donate
Sun May 01, 2011 4:10 am
Soulkana wrote a review...



I really liked this and I can't wait to read more of your works soon...Keep up the good work!!!!! I love this and I hope to see more from you soon. The simple words leave a deep impression in this piece that I find really compelling. So good job!!! Keep up the good work and Happy Writing!!!! I hope you receive many helpful reviews as you already have, I'd point out grammar if I could see any but since I can't, I can not point any out XD. Either way this was well done albeit a bit short, Try expanding? Either way good job ^^ Best of wishes!!!
Soulkana<3




User avatar
522 Reviews


Points: 18486
Reviews: 522

Donate
Sun May 01, 2011 3:46 am
Lavvie wrote a review...



Hi there, ThornedRose. Lavvi in to review your poem for you today :)

I liked this: each line read with a bang. Like:

lineBAM!
lineBAM!
lineBAM!
lineBAM!

It was kind of awesome. You have skill and you know how to execute it. The only thing I'd like to bring to attention is how you wrote the stanzas. Personally, I thought it would be better if everything was divided as follows:

You say you won't leave,
You will.
(enter)
You say life is a game that has no rules,
It does.

You say I'm just stupid
for thinking like this,
I'm not.
(enter)
You say there's no point,
There is!

I think I'm done
You won't listen.
(enter)
I'm trying to give you the help,
You just won't take it.

So I say, I'm done.


It will have much more of an impact than as previously written.

Yours,
Lavvi




User avatar
109 Reviews


Points: 6829
Reviews: 109

Donate
Sun May 01, 2011 12:59 am
AdoxagraphyAngelus wrote a review...



Nice job. :) One thing, though, and I'll point it out in some of the lines.

You say you won't leave,
You will.
You say life is a game that has no rules,
It does.

You say I'm just stupid
for thinking like this, #FF0000 ">(Okay, so this contrasts a bit with the previous stanza, seeing as how there's two lines before the 'I'm not.' It kind of messes with the flow of the poem a bit.)
I'm not.
You say there's no point,
There is! #FF0000 ">(The exclamation mark seems out of place here.)

I think I'm done
You won't listen.
I'm trying to give you the help,
You just won't take it. #BF0000 ">(This stanza seems almost out of place from the rest. It just seems like an odd contrast from the rest of the poem.)

So I say, I'm done.


Some of the things you say take away from the flow of the poem a bit, but that's okay, if you like it like that. Though it does distract the reader some. Good job, altogether. :)




User avatar
403 Reviews


Points: 23786
Reviews: 403

Donate
Sun May 01, 2011 12:54 am
SmylinG wrote a review...



Hey, ThornedRose. This was a pretty short poem. I noticed a lot of commas where I would probably assume periods to be. It just felt sort of weird reading this when that became a sort of distraction to me, especially considering where there was capitalization involved. I'll point out some punctuational things here for you briefly.

ThornedRose wrote:You Say

You say you won't leave#BF0000 ">(.)
You will.
You say life is a game that has no rules#BF0000 ">(.)
It does.

You say I'm just stupid
#BF0000 ">For thinking like this#BF0000 ">(.) #0040FF ">(The reason I capitalized the "f" on for, was mostly because if that's the style you're choosing to write this in, you may as well be consistent about it.)
I'm not.
You say there's no point#BF0000 ">(.)
There is!

I think I'm done#BF0000 ">(;)
You won't listen.
I'm trying to give you the help,
You just won't take it.

So I say, I'm done.


The way you ended this seemed very abrupt. I think you could have given this poem a bit more depth. It seemed a little plain --not in a bad way. But elongating it a little more might have made this a little better. But the ending would still work the way you did it. Considering the poem is titled You say, I like how you've ended it with I say.




User avatar
111 Reviews


Points: 3354
Reviews: 111

Donate
Sun May 01, 2011 12:14 am
Kwantack wrote a review...



You Say

You say you won't leave,
You will.
You say life is a game that has no rules,
It does.

You say I'm just stupid
for thinking like this, #8000BF ">capatalize for.
I'm not. #8000BF ">I love all these little short lines! They're so cool.
You say there's no point,
There is!

I think I'm done
You won't listen.
I'm trying to give you the help,
You just won't take it. #8000BF ">Try adding a 'but' to the beginning of this line.

So I say, I'm done. [color=#8000BF ]This line is great, but I'd get rid of the comma. You don't need it.color]

This had a lot of emotion to it. I enjoyed it very much! Keep writing!




User avatar


Points: 1040
Reviews: 3

Donate
Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:56 pm
kitkatqt16 says...



I like it! The words are very straight forward and it has a lot of meaning! :smt003




User avatar
16 Reviews


Points: 1363
Reviews: 16

Donate
Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:35 pm
0xJazzy says...



Heeey :) The lines are quite punchy and this gives the meaning more impact. I'd just say write a bit more of it. Nice work, keep writing xXx





The adjective should reinvent the noun.
— Leslie Norris