Home » Literary works » Article / Essay » General

Teenagers in the workforce

by Thisislegacy

Walking a tightrope while balancing a book on your head is a difficult act, but for the very best it is possible. This applies to everything in life, including balancing school and work. Teenagers are expected to perfect this balancing act within the first few weeks of becoming the legal working age. Students that have a job still have to maintain their GPAs while obtaining and keeping a part time job. An ideal job for a teenager includes schedule flexibility and the understanding that a teenager is a student first, while still being able to pay their bills.

Schedule flexibility is a key aspect in determining if a particular business is a good job for a teenager. Most retail and restaurants have the flexibility to account for teenage workers. These workplaces are open for longer hours so students can work after school hours and have time on the weekends before or after their shifts for their social lives. Most of these workplaces do not expect these workers to work more than 20 hours a week, although experts such as Greenburger and Steinfeld only recommend 10 hours or less during the school week (Worsnop 1990). Many teenagers will choose to stay at a workplace if they provide the availability to still complete their schoolwork, no matter if it was their choice or the choice of their parents.

In addition, workplaces need to have the understanding that a teenage worker is a student first. If they are having a hard time in one of their classes, they are most likely going to reduce their work hours to increase time studying for the class. Students are less likely to need a ton of hours; but this is not to be confused with the worker not being reliable. There is a clear difference between unreliability and unrealistic expectations put on the teenager. In recent years, there has been a lack of understanding that the teenage worker is a student first, since workplaces have been found to break child labor laws (Worsnop 1990). In personal experience, people such as myself have been part of workplaces that only glance at teenage labor laws. An old workplace of mine has kept teenagers for shifts eight hours and longer without a lunch break, nor did they notice the amount of time that the teenager has been on the clock. They also failed to notice teenage curfew and letting students to leave with enough time to get home before legal curfew.

Students still want to be able to have spending money though, so they should still work a little bit. It is a very delicate balancing act to harmonize school and work. Many extracurriculars that students can be apart of have costs. Many students take part time jobs to afford the costs of these extracurriculars on their own. Teenagers determine how much money they need for their spending and extracurriculars, and they figure out how much they need to work to afford these things. Everyone had their own individual needs, and it is up to themselves alone to decide how much or how little to work. 

Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:28 am
Aniwriting9162 wrote a review...

Hi! To be honest i don't usually like reading essays. But i must applaud you when i say that i enjoyed reading this and wanted to finish!
I did notice some syntax problems , but i notice that they have been pointed out in the early reviews, so i will not be going over them again.
I would like to say that the starting line,"Walking a tightrope while balancing a book on your head is a difficult act, but for the very best it is possible." was very powerful and immediately had me hooked, but the quality dipped a bit in subsequent paragraphs. Also, i think it would be better if you include more of your own views and suggestions about the topic, and use the facts to merely support your views. It would also be better if you include personal experiences if you have any, to make it feel more authentic.

Thisislegacy says...

This essay was purely informational, so I was not allowed to put my opinion into it.

Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:45 am
EternalRain wrote a review...

Hi there! I hope I'm submitting this review in time and before this is due!

Since this is a school work, I'm going to focus a bit more on grammar/syntax than I normally do, and then I'll talk about it as a whole.

I wanted to start by saying how the title intruiged me, as I think this isn't much of a discussed topic. Usually essays about teenagers focus on simply the school life, and I like how you took school life and something a lot of teenagers struggle with - work - and created a persuasive argument about it.

Okay! So here we go.

Walking a tightrope while balancing a book on your head is a difficult act, but for the very best it is possible.

I like this start a lot! I feel like the first part is a bit stronger than the "but for the very best it is possible" part. I understand what you're saying - that balancing work is only possible for a small percentage of people - but it's not as strong as the first part, which makes the hook, then, less strong.

Students that have a job still have to maintain their GPAs while obtaining and keeping a part time job.

"job" in this sentence sounds a bit redundant

An ideal job for a teenager includes schedule flexibility and the understanding that a teenager is a student first, while still being able to pay their bills.

So! This is probably your thesis statement? I feel like it could flow a LOT better if phrased like "An ideal job for a teenager includes schedule flexibility, the understanding that a teenager is a student first, and [not sure about this part].

In personal experience, people such as myself have been part of workplaces that only glance at teenage labor laws. An old workplace of mine has kept teenagers for shifts eight hours and longer without a lunch break, nor did they notice the amount of time that the teenager has been on the clock.

I think it's good that you're adding evidence - but is it okay to switch to personal pronouns? Maybe it is for this certain assignment/teacher but I know that most of the time it's generally a good idea to avoid "me" and "I" in essay writing.

Students still want to be able to have spending money though, so they should still work a little bit.

This is a good thought but I think the syntax brought down the strength. Something like "With work, students can have more freedom to spend money".

It is a very delicate balancing act to harmonize school and work.

I really like the sound of this sentence! I'm just not sure how well it works in this position. (I talk about this in a bit).

Okay, so overall! I really liked the introduction - I think you did a pretty good job with introducing your argument. The next two paragraphs were nice as well - I think the incorporation of evidence was very well done.

My main issue was really with the last paragraph, and I think it's just because I'm not really sure what it's supposed to be. Is it supposed to be about money, or is it supposed to be a conclusion? There are some scattered thoughts and I think organizing or thinking about the intention of that last paragraph could really help you out.

I hope this helps you out! Let me know if you have any questions. Best of luck on your essay.

~ EternalRain

Thisislegacy says...

I love this review. Sadly I had already turned it in the way you see it now. It has not been graded yet, but I will keep your kind of edits in mind for my next essay I have to write.

EternalRain says...

ah that's too bad! Good luck on future essays though. And if you ever post them, feel free to tag me and hopefully I can review them before you turn them :)

Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:57 pm
FireSpyGirl wrote a review...

Hi there!
This is really good! It is informative, but not boring. It is interesting and you make the reader want to finish it. There is one thing I am going to point out, and that is this:

"(Worsnop 1990)" Is that supposed to be Workshop? Or is it something else entirely and that I am clueless about? XD.

Other than that, I see no editing that could be made anywhere.

That was all!

Thisislegacy says...

That was the in text citation.

Never express yourself more clearly than you are able to think.
— Niels Bohr