z

Young Writers Society



Thirst, prologue

by Thirst_23


So, the reason I haven't posted in some time is that I've been busy, and reworking things so that it better reflects what I have in mind. This is my new prologue, or draft one. Have at thee, fearless critiques.

Please note, though, that I really like this. Many of the things you might not get will be accurate, but this is the voice I want to use to draw in my readers. Can't wait to hear what you think.

Thirst

*****

Prologue

Europe, 1791

Who am I? Surely, you should know on whose property you so freely trespass? Must I explain to your feeble mind? Most surely you shall know me hereafter.

Come, enter my study. Forgive the atlases and guides; I have a trip abroad in mind, but I’ll speak more on that later.

I am legend. No introduction is needed for me, and he is a fool who asks one of me. From this fortress, I rule with iron will. None shall oppose me because none can. Yet, I confess I grow weary. This place is not enough for me when there is still so much more I could rule.

I am genius. I study all the night long, plotting, planning, perfecting. No mere nightmare is my existence. For centuries I have hunted and hidden behind a cloak of fear and superstition. Soon, I shall don a shroud of ignorance and manners. I shall wear nobility, titles and breeding, and let my preys modern thoughts convince them of my sincerity. And I shall gorge myself on their theater, their opera, their politics, their society, their history…their blood. No cross shall stop me there. I shall rule the modern world as entirely as I rule this world of ancient fears.

I am death incarnate. I am master of all, robbing the life force from veins and hearts where I will, bestowing eternal life on those I choose. My Favorite is fair, with palest blue eyes, and winning smiles that grace her majestic, pale face. If only she were not so new, so uncontrollably thirsty. I shall give her another century to grow, or I shall be forced to destroy her. That would pain me. But, I do not believe she is unequal to the test.

I must see about a house in the land I am going to. This place, this castle of ancient wonders, shall be occupied no longer. For the first time in six centuries, those who I rule here shall sleep safely. They shall not clutch their children to their breasts on St. George’s Day, as they do now. Fools! I shall return after I have conquered that new land. Someday, perhaps a millennium from now, I shall rule all the earth in death and nightmares.

I shall write and obtain the services of a solicitor. Yes, that is a most modern thing to do. He will aid me in my search for a house.

My Favorite shall come with me. Her sisters shall join us, as well. They will soon have new companions in that land of smog and civilization. I intend to let my family grow. After all, these humans are but peasants, and I shall be King of all. What is a King, though, if he only rules paupers? My children must increase, glorious and terrible, to reflect my glory, the glory of the King of Kings! What joy I shall take from them, my children of the night.

Who am I? I am he who is forever. I am Count Dracula.

And who are you, dearest trespasser? I care not. But, now, you are mine. You shall be one more of my children. You may hate me for a time, but in the short space of some two hundred years, you will love me, and call my “Father” with affection.

I really have no interest in letting you live any longer. Your blood calls to me. Surely you must see there is no escape. Now, I command you, remove that scarf from around your neck. Do not tremble as I sink my teeth into your flesh. It is the last pain you shall ever know.

Ahh...I bid you welcome.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
95 Reviews


Points: 2401
Reviews: 95

Donate
Tue May 05, 2009 5:00 pm
ZaddieCaso wrote a review...



What an intriguing piece of writing. At first I was a little confused at where you were going with this but obviously it seems to of gone somewhere as I can see you've written two other chapters.

"I am genius. I study all the night long, plotting, planning, perfecting. No mere nightmare is my existence. For centuries I have hunted and hidden behind a cloak of fear and superstition. Soon, I shall don a shroud of ignorance and manners. I shall wear nobility, titles and breeding, and let my preys modern thoughts convince them of my sincerity. And I shall gorge myself on their theater, their opera, their politics, their society, their history…their blood. No cross shall stop me there. I shall rule the modern world as entirely as I rule this world of ancient fears."

I think this is the best paragraph in the entire piece, each line has a double meaning, never have a read a YWS piece in such detail as yours. Once you got to their blood part I'd grasped what this story was about. The best part of this piece is that is uses an over written idea in a unique way. There are so manny twilight idea's around now it is hard to find a vampire story unique enough to be worth reading. I look forward to seeing where this story goes.




User avatar
17 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 17

Donate
Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:38 pm
Thirst_23 says...



Guys, this is just my prologue. Dracula is not my main character.

Oh, well, I suppose I'll have to post in order from now on the keep you in the loop. But, please be aware that I don't write in sequence, so sometimes it might be a while between posts. Thanks.




User avatar
7 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 7

Donate
Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:50 pm
dreaming wrote a review...



The 2nd person approach sent chills down my spine. I loved it, because it makes the reader involved from the first sentence. I have to admit that I got a little bit disappointed when you introduced the character as Dracula, as I have read too many stories about him, but I must say you pull it off quite nicely. And I suppose that were this not Dracula, the vampire would just seem stuck up and egocentric. Dracula really is known to everyone, and you play well on that. I salute this piece and look forward to the first chapter :)




User avatar
48 Reviews


Points: 1730
Reviews: 48

Donate
Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:54 pm
RubinLikes2Write wrote a review...



sigh i love YWS. Seriously their are so many talented writers who if their book was at Boarders or Barnes and Noble i would pick it up and be like, "Wow, this sounds cool." And buy it. You are one of those writers i would gladly make filthy rich buy telling all my friends to buy your book.

I really liked this piece as you may be able to tell. :) I'm totally not used to having books written in second person but because I've never read a book like that, it made it all the more intriguing and special. I liked the character cockiness from about the third paragraph. Ha it was sorta funny that it turned out to be Dracula because so many times in so many stories was he was killed.
I really would like to read more so PM me when you put anything else up k?




User avatar
506 Reviews


Points: 9907
Reviews: 506

Donate
Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:40 pm
Sureal wrote a review...



Hey there Thirst. =)

I clicked on this topic on a coca-cola induced whimsy, and was captivated by your opening sentence. Those three short words - Who am I? - are a great way to open your novel. Whatever else you may choose to change whilst editing your novel, don’t change those three words.

Onto the actual critique:

Must I explain to your feeble mind?


I’m not feeling the word ‘feeble’ here, I’m afraid. I get that your character is Dracula, and that as such he is a li’le bit arrogant, but ‘feeble mind’ is such a cheesy phrase. Simply something like, ‘Must I explained it to you?’ would work better, in my opinion.


Come, enter my study. Forgive the atlases and guides; I have a trip abroad in mind, but I’ll speak more on that later.

I am legend.


I like both of these sentences on their own, but I don’t think they fit together all that well. Or, at least, they don’t flow too well from one to the other. It’s a little jarring going from, ‘I’ll yell yah about mah trip,’ to, ‘I are legend!’

It’s partly the sudden change in subject that’s doing it, but largely the shift in tone, from conversational to dramatic. You need to ease the reader into the dramatic bit a little better, I’m thinking.

Funnily enough, cutting out the second paragraph (so going straight from, ‘Most surely you shall know me hereafter,’ to, ‘I am legend’) works better, as there is no change in subject, and the shift in tone is a lot easier to handle, because the ‘Most surely…’ sentence is already pretty dramatic.

But then, I like the sentence paragraph, so I don’t want to advise you to cut it out. What you might want to do, though, is to add a little more onto the end of it that’s a bit more dramatic and a bit more to do with the subject of Dracula’s identity, to help the flow of the piece.

Alternatively, you could try to find somewhere else in the Prologue to insert the second paragraph. Perhaps you could combine the first and second paragraphs in some way (with some editing, of course)?


Apart from those two observations, I don’t really have anything else to offer, except to say that: listen to yrclever. He’s given some great advice, methinks.


-- Sureal




User avatar
87 Reviews


Points: 6040
Reviews: 87

Donate
Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:02 pm
Starleene wrote a review...



Oh Snap! That was great:) I haven't read many stories in 2nd person, but I'm glad i read yours. It was so worth it. No grammar errors. Punctuation was perfect, and the plot draws people in. I love it and can't wait to read more. :)




User avatar
6 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 6

Donate
Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:36 am
Lady_Ariani wrote a review...



I think the other reviewers have really said it all in just one word - WOW!
Everything about this piece draws you in, the language, the setting, the prose. It's truly a masterpiece waiting to be unraveled. I wait with baited breath for the next installment, thank you!!!




User avatar
277 Reviews


Points: 7061
Reviews: 277

Donate
Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:57 am
Master_Yoda wrote a review...



Hey Thirst,

Firstly, I must commend you on the sheer entertainment value of this piece. You write a remarkably interesting prose, and I particularly like your story. Let's see what input I can give though. Hopefully this'll help.

Thirst_23 wrote:Who am I? Surely, you should know on whose property you so freely trespass?

I would drop the "should". I think a direct challenge is more befitting of your character.

Must I explain to your feeble mind?

This is one of the few parts of your piece that I found clumsy. Try, "Need I enlighten your feeble mind?"

Most surely you shall know me hereafter.
Try, "For, after I have done so, there is little chance that I will remain as foreign."

Come, enter my study. Forgive the atlases and guides; I have a trip abroad in mind, but I’ll speak more on that later.

Great. You are sounding madder by the second. ;)

I am legend. No introduction is needed for me, and he is a fool who asks one of me.

Once again, this seems a little clumsy. Try, "My name is legend. He who requests an introduction is a fool. For, even amongst most fools, my name is commonplace."

From this fortress, I rule with iron will. None shall oppose me because none can. Yet, I confess I grow weary.

Beautiful!

This place is not enough for me when there is still so much more I could rule.

Try, "My appetite grows, and after a time, as is my nature, an almost animalistic urge to broaden the horizon of my empire rises within me."

No mere nightmare is my existence.

Try, "My existence is not merely a nightmare.

and let my preys modern thoughts convince them of my sincerity.

You are missing an apostrophe in "preys". This really confused me.

I shall rule the modern world as entirely as I rule this world of ancient fears.

Once again, marvelous. :)

But, I do not believe she is unequal to the test.

Try clarify this sentence, "But I do not believe the test beyond her capabilities."

I must see about a house in the land I am going to.

The higher colloquial voice that you have given your character does not fit this sentence. Try, "I must also arrange my new residence."

What is a King, though, if he only rules paupers?

I suggest, "What is a king though, if he rules over only paupers." Note the lack of capitalization of king. Unless you refer to a title of an actual king, or the title itself, you do not capitalize it.


you will love me, and call my “Father” with affection.

Call me Father.

I really have no interest in letting you live any longer. Your blood calls to me. Surely you must see there is no escape. Now, I command you, remove that scarf from around your neck. Do not tremble as I sink my teeth into your flesh. It is the last pain you shall ever know.

Ahh...I bid you welcome.

Superb!

Impressions of:
:arrow: Overall prose: Marvelous. Your writing style is intriguing, and you draw us in beautifully with it. There really isn't much to improve here.

:arrow: Characters: You only have introduced us to one, but you've given him a distinct voice and personality already in a short piece. This is great.

:arrow: Setting: You haven't given us that much here, but I don't think that it's necessary to do so yet as this is only a prologue

:arrow: Perspective: You really have used this to its full potential. It creates an almost chilling effect to talk to your audience, and you have done so remarkably.

:arrow: Overall Impression: I love this piece. You can have a nice gold star. :)

Have a good one! ;)




User avatar
89 Reviews


Points: 792
Reviews: 89

Donate
Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:10 am
mimimac wrote a review...



Hello Thirst!
Wow, this was amazing! At first I was a bit doubtful to tell you the truth. Being actually spoken to was a bit disconcerting. However it works perfectly here.
I despise you for not making any mistakes! :P
I love how you made it seem that the reader was the one that was being turned into the vampire. It really got me into the piece.
Keep me posted whenever you post more of thirst!

xxmimixx




User avatar
198 Reviews


Points: 3
Reviews: 198

Donate
Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:40 pm
Dreamworx95 wrote a review...



I'm not used to reading things in the second person, so this is a little different for me. I think you pulled it off very well. Writing was flawless. No gram&spell mistakes. The words flowed well together and it was really easy to read.

It was really entertaining, too. At first I thought this vampire was a little too arrogant for my taste, but then it turned out to be Count Dracula and now I like him. I'd imagine him to be something like this if we ever met. After you introduced him, I kept picturing that accent. Lol.

This was a good read, Thirst. I'd love to read more. PM me if you post more up and I'll be happy to leave a review.

Worx.





As ideas are always better than their execution, so too must dough taste better than cookies.
— Horisun