We only go as far as we walk

by TheWordsOfWolf

We only go as far as we walk

I wanted to go the whole way

I wanted to go the whole way with you.

But somewhere along the road

You stopped, took a different turn

And left me on the main path

"Don't stop, keep going, I'll catch up" you called

And so I did, I listened, I trusted you

But you never came back

And when I went to look for you

I found you in the arms of another

"Wait I can explain" you said

But you couldn't

we only go as far as we walk

and when you stopped

So did we 

Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:48 pm
BornToBeGreat wrote a review...

I find this poetry rather interesting and realistic. Everything you write (as far as I know) relates to life and it can be portrayed in a unique way.

"I wanted to go the whole way with you.

But somewhere along the road

You stopped, took a different turn

And left me on the main path

And so I did, I listened, I trusted you."

Everyone has their own plans. Their own map to follow. It all comes down to whatever that person might want in a person. Therefore, she pursued her own plans in someone else's arms. The best thing you can do is move on. Overall, you did a pretty good job. Just keep your head up and don't let anything hurt you.

-BornToBeGreat

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review!

Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:28 pm
HikariHateke wrote a review...

I'm new to reviewing but Wow this was really good!

We only go as far as we walk

that's True and everyone goes different ways, some walk far, others are content to only walk half-way, some turn back, and some take a few steps before giving up, some walk on unpaved paths filled with thorns and glass, and others walk paths already paved where all they have to do is walk.

Of course that's not the point of this poem but I liked that it made me think about that.

And so I did, I listened, I trusted you

But you never came back

And when I went to look for you

I found you in the arms of another

"Wait I can explain" you said

But you couldn't

When trust is broken it is very hard to gain back (if ever) and you portrayed that well here.

we only go as far as we walk

and when you stopped

So did we'

That line was very impactful, and that's how being in a relationship is, when one stops the whole relationship stops.

Overall I really liked this!

Wow thank you so much for the review! I'm so glad you liked the poem. Parts of your review even sound like they could be turned into another poem! anyway thanks again I really appreciate it!
-Wolf

Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:14 pm
HikariHateke says...

We only go as far as we walk

And so I did, I listened, I trusted you

But you never came back

And when I went to look for you

I found you in the arms of another

"Wait I can explain" you said

But you couldn't

we only go as far as we walk

and when you stopped

So did we'

Overall I really liked this!

Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:01 pm
mordax wrote a review...

Hey there, Mordax here for a review! Let's get started:

First off, I loved this poem! It was a lament to this lost relationship, and you conveyed this hopelessness well. I do have to say that it lacked a bit of the heartbrokenness and carried more of the cold acceptance that is more known well after the fact, as if this poem were the dry monologue of a character to their ex after this supposed ex tried to take them back, but 'too bad', they are well over you, buddy. I hope I interpreted this correctly. :)

I don't have many critiques, but here they are:

I wanted to go the whole way

I wanted to go the whole way with you.

I understand the intent for repetition here, emphasizing that this narrator wants to keep walking but not alone, however, this repetition rang somewhat dull in my ears and felt redundant rather than important. My suggestion is to reword rather than repeat exactly, but that's just my opinion.

This line also raises some good points. What is "the whole way"? Death? For if we only go as far as we walk, is it possible to reach some sort of end or is the end when we cease the capability to walk? If this is the case, I love this metaphor for "walk" equating to "life". This then ties in with this loved one "stopping". They didn't stop in their walk of life, they merely changed paths, however in this narrator's perspective of their life, this loved one ceased walking for they no longer walked their path. I love how this then ties in with the last line, "So did we". The narrator alone is still walking this path, but the couple is not. This gives a sense of hope for the future for there will be other intersections in this road, other opportunities, and as long as we keep walking, we will keep going.

Overall, that was all I had to say for this poem. I realize now I didn't give many critiques, but oh well. :) Great writing!

Mordax

Thanks so much for the review! I'll keep those things inmind and remove that extra line. Thanks again!
-Wolf

here is the deepest secret nobody knows (here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud and the sky of the sky of a treee called life; which grows higher than the soul can home or mind can hide) and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart i carry your heart (i carry it in my heart)
— e.e. cummings