Shadows In The Dark~ Chapter 1

by TheSweetSongOfGrace

Tiffany looked back at the houses behind her. They were all different as far as the paint colors and the plants growing profusely in each yard, but each was equally as welcoming compared to the old house she currently stood at. Now, looking at the homes, she felt an ache in her stomach. She desperately longed to leave the rickety stairs of the long since abandoned home and return to the safety of her sidewalk view of it.

The door creaked open and Tiffany jumped. She looked back once more.

“Go on!” Her friend yelled. 

Tiffany sighed and turned towards the open door. Even with the whole house settled entirely in its caliginous atmosphere, she could tell that its owner had not been there in years. Just by its ghastly odor- fairly like a dead animal- and by the creaking of the door and the cobwebs in the doorway she knew the home would remain untouched. Who would bother with such a horrid place as this?

“Come on! I don’t have all day!” Her friend called again. Tiffany began to wonder how she had ended up with such a friend as her. There was nothing about her that said friend, but somehow she found herself unable to leave her- like there was some invisible force keeping them together.

In fact, looking back at when they had planned this “adventure”, Tiffany recalled a slight innocent glimmer of hope in her friend’s soft grey eyes that was what had pulled her into this whole mess. She remembered thinking there was a deeper meaning to her friend’s need of her to venture into this dark place and couldn’t resist her gentle eyes like moons, shining hopefully.

But look where that had led her! She was standing in the doorway of an abandoned house, couldn't see where she was going, couldn't protect herself if she needed to, and she still did not understand why she was here.

Her friend had lured her to this place, but somehow Tiffany had a greater feeling that there was something else that took her here too. A feeling of curiosity maybe? No. She would never be foolish enough to go into a supposedly haunted home just because she was curious. Not even when she knows ghosts aren't real.

Tiffany's thoughts were broken suddenly when she felt someone's cold hands on her back and she was shoved into the house. The door slammed shut and she was left alone on the floor of the pitch black room.

.........................

Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:23 am
Honora wrote a review...

Hey Grace! I like the way you write! You really made it easy to feel the fear she was feeling as she went in.
Something that it needs is some description. You wrote feelings very well but the world around her is a total blank. We have no idea what anything looks like which will make it difficult in the future when you do start describing things. It will be hard for us to switch our minds after we have a picture of what everything looks like.
Also, I just wish that it was a little longer because it’s very hard to review something that is really short. That’s ok though. It just means I’ll be back to read more! Nice cliffhanger by the way. I love those!
Good writing and I look forward to more! Keep up the good work!

Thank you for the review Honora. I am working on fixing the details right now and hope to have an updated version soon. Have a great day! Your friend, Grace

Fantascifi66 wrote a review...

Hi!!!
Fanta here to review!
First, welcome to YWS!
I really hope you enjoy it here.
Okay, let's get into the review!

Firstly, I would just like to say that I really like the name of this piece. It's kinda poetic and beautiful!

This is a good start! I wish it'd be a little bit longer though, so if you could please put in more details on the house, maybe how her friend looks like, the weather, those kind of things.

And also, the only information we get from this is that Tiffany doesn't want to go into this abandoned house ( I mean, I wouldn't either), that her friend "forced" her and that it's a ghost house. It's okay to keep the reader in the dark, and I think you managed to pull it off quite nice, but in the next chapter I suggest that you maybe put in some more backstory? Something that kinda explains how and when they met and why her friend wanted to go to the house.

Overall, I really liked this! I didn't find any grammatical errors, and I really liked how you wrote about Tiffany's thoughts.
I hope you didn't get offended by this review! In that case, I really didn't mean to be.

Your friend,

Fanta

Thank you so much for that review Fanta! I will try to fix those things and no you definitely did not offend me. :) I appreciate the negative criticism because it tells me what I can do better. Plus, you said it so kindly and not in any way that sounded harsh. Thank you again. Your friend, Song Of Grace.

Fantascifi66 says...

You're welcome!

EternalRain wrote a review...

Hello there! Rain here for a review on this mighty fine Review Day. :)

I'm all for a good mystery/supernatural story which is what initially drew me to this!

I think my favorite part was Tiffany's thoughts - about her friend, and her clear unease about this whole situation but joining her friend nonetheless. Tiffany's discomfort and fear in the situation felt realistic, and I really liked Tiffany's regrets for joining this adventure. Also, Tiffany thinking about her friend's weird curiosity really makes me wonder about her friend's motives...

I'm a bit confused about where her friend is. Is she on the sidewalk? Based on the dialogue, it sounds like it, but she's described as the one who wants to go in the house. Spacial descriptions are pretty important because the reader can't see what's going on unless it's written out!

I think the haunted house setting is a bit unoriginal, which is totally fine, but I think with some creative twists and turns it can be really good!

To address flow, as that's what you commented on: I think the two main "big changes" are 1) when the door creaks open in the beginning, disrupting Tiffany's thoughts, and 2) the cold hands grabbing her. Both feel pretty smooth to me, and while the "thoughts were broken suddenly" is a pretty go-to scene changer, I think it works. I wish there was maybe a bit more description, like maybe Tiffany felt a chill down her back or just as she was breathing in, she let out a gasp as the cold hands grabbed her. Just a little something else.

Anyway, that's really into the nitty gritty. But overall, I liked this. I liked your writing style a lot! If you post a second chapter, please let me know so I can read more. I've got to know what happened to Tiffany ;)

~ EternalRain

Thank you so much for that great review! I will definitely take your thoughts into consideration and try to fix those things. I am still new to writing so I have a lot to learn

I accidentally clicked post on that last comment and didn't finish it. Lol.

Hello fellow yws writers! Hope you are doing well. I just wanted to say this- when reviewing please be honest. I am open to all thoughts on my writing because I know that every writer can improve in something. Especially me. So please- don't be rude- but feel free to tell me what needs to be looked at or fixed. One problem I actually saw is that I don't think it flows very well. I'm not quite sure but your reviews would help. Thanks!

If you ever find yourself in the wrong story, leave.
— Mo Willems