z

Young Writers Society



Artificial Flavoring

by TheStormAroundMe


One of my favorite flavors of candy has always been banana. I love banana Laffy Taffy, banana Starburst, and even those little yellow banana-shaped pieces. What are those called again? Bananaheads! I used to eat them all the time! Mom gave me quarters, which I fed to the machine in exchange for the holy banana grail. Couldn’t get enough. Of course, the good candies never actually taste like real bananas. There is this hint of flavor they encompass that is lost within the original banana. Did America screw up our banana growing to the point at which I can no longer get bananas that taste how I like?

After doing some Google research, I came across a Tumblr post explaining why banana candies don’t taste like banana: the form of banana that the flavoring is based on was wiped out. Wow, what a fun fact! Banana-ness no longer exists in the form that it was best. We blew it, world. I searched for more information on the subject, but none surfaced. That’s how it is. No more sickeningly sweet bananas.

Humans, though… we don’t like to give things up. We faked the flavor. Now, we keep it forever. To love and to cherish. It’s almost as good as the real thing, right? Who knows, the real thing died.

---

I get really emotional whenever I listen to music by Radiohead. Especially Fake Plastic Trees. I swirl the lyrics to that song around in my head every morning and every day throughout school. If I could be who you wanted… There’s something about Radiohead that makes you question things. The song is about a kind of fabricated love that felt like the real thing, but wore out both parties involved. If I could be who you wanted, all the time… For me, it emphasizes that the feelings were fake, that everything seems fake, and suddenly it becomes possible that everything is fake. Emotions are not tangible. You can’t reach out with a fist and grab them. Do they even exist?

Authorial intent should be the focus of anyone digging way too deeply into song lyrics, but I’d rather dig for what it can mean for me.

How much of my life is as artificial as banana candy? As artificial as Fake Plastic Trees? How much of it is spent on trying to recall a former feeling? I think about the days that I spend reading books because I would rather read instead of talking with people. What really happens in my life? I mean, I tell myself that I do original things like write poetry and think about original things like when that hot barista who is kind of my friend but not really will ask me out. That’s my sugar-coated take on the situation. The truth: I do nothing. My mind doesn’t want to think I do nothing. My mind makes something up. I read a book recently, by A. S. King, which talked about the fact that no ideas are original, only repackaged versions of previous ideas. If that’s true, than everything that happens now is just as artificial as my reproduction of the day. The real thing died out long ago, once it was done a single time, and now our lives are sorry attempts to recreate those experiences. But like those Gros Michel bananas, the originals no longer exist for us to compare them to.

Nothing is original. Nothing is real.

---

In the past, there were homosexuals, pansexuals, asexuals, et cetera with no names to describe them. They knew they liked people of their same gender or all genders or no genders at all, but when asked about their significant other, they were like, “Well, you see, I’m…” With a dot dot dot. Naturally, groups of these people congregated. Soon, they suggested, “Hey, let’s make a word that means this so that we will feel less alone.” So they did. They called themselves queer, genderfluid, bi, dozens of other labels. And it branched off from there. More words. More groups of people. More defining characteristics. They made so many darn words until our language could describe every little dash on the spectrum of gay to straight, male to female, rich to poor. We synthesized up word after word after word until they sounded so fake that saying them more than twice in a row made you question your sanity. But humans love fake things. Fake things are our friends. After all, giving something an injection of piquancy can cover the aroma of whatever it was before. Bring on the Fake Plastic Trees, if they’ll hurt us less than the real thing. Yes, we make up things within our made-up worlds.

I guess the point it boils down to is this: We’d rather things be good than real. If you need to formulate a story, so be it. If you need to copy the work of those before, that’s acceptable. It’s a small sacrifice to trade authenticity for perfection. If we see a bridge we cannot cross, a sadness we cannot overcome, a void we cannot press through, we repeat ourselves and make up different scenarios to cover the truth. Made-up words, to make us feel wanted. Made-up plotlines, to cover our situation. Made-up feelings, so we can justify the existential despair hanging over our heads.

We will choose ourselves over reality every single time.

If I could be who you wanted, if I could give you the taste of original banana, then maybe things would be less of a hologram and more like a palpable universe. Unfortunately, things just don’t work that way. It’s impossible to be truly real, because everything has already been done. For the time being, we must exist in our small plastic world with our artificially-flavored brains jotting down notes. It’s not that bad, is it, being fake?

I like strawberry flavoring better anyways.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1274 Reviews


Points: 35774
Reviews: 1274

Donate
Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:17 am
niteowl says...



Hi there TheStormAroundMe! This is more of a comment than a review so I won't call it a review.

Overall, this is very well written, though I think you could have done a bit more research on the Gros Michel bananas. A Tumblr post is not a very good source, plus it's interesting how we basically made all the bananas into one monoculture and then they all got sick and died (though I think I read somewhere you can find them in Thailand). Our current line of bananas (the Cavendish) faces similar vulnerabilities. But that's an aside and not the reason I'm commenting.

What drove me to comment was the paragraph about LGBT+ identities. It's not clear what your point is or how it fits into your essay about artificiality. Are you saying LGBT+ people are fake? That the labels that (for some) are a key part of their identity are fake and not "authentic"? This doesn't ring true for me at all. Our sexual orientation and gender identities are huge parts of how we see ourselves, even for those of us who fit in the norm. I was born female, and I identify as female, and that is naturally going to affect how I see the world. I'm also straight, and if I were in a relationship with a man, that would also be an important and very real part of my identity. Of course, I rarely have to make a big deal of these labels because they're the norm. I have the privilege to just be straight and female.

Let's contrast this with a friend of mine. She came out as bisexual in high school, briefly considered herself genderqueer in college (the first time I'd heard the term), then eventually had a daughter and became a conservative Christian passing as straight (though she never dated men after she had her daughter). A couple years ago, she definitely decided she wasn't attracted to men and thought she might be asexual before getting into a relationship with a woman and settling on lesbian (and cis female). It might be easy to dismiss these labels as fake if none of them apply to you, but they are really important to her. Even though many of these labels were discarded in the end, I still think they were important in her evolution and understanding of herself. A label that sounds weird or fake to one person might give another person that "Aha! So that's what I am!" moment.

Overall, this essay is very well written, and I don't have much to critique about the rest of it. I would just make your point about LGBT+ labels clearer or take it out entirely, as it doesn't fit. Keep writing!






Thank you for reading it! I didn't mean to insult people with those identities directly, only point out that we made up legitimately every single label to make ourselves feel secure. I tried to include other labels such as rich to poor, but I guess I didn't do a very good job of that... Sorry if you were offended!



niteowl says...


I was more confused than offended personally. I guess it could work if you talked more about labels in general.



User avatar
5 Reviews


Points: 428
Reviews: 5

Donate
Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:06 am
View Likes
Judge94 wrote a review...



Hey! So glad I came on here today and got to read this. I'm just going to say some general things :)
This was almost cute, because you have a bit of humor every once in while. You say it need to be hashed out and you weren't sure what you were saying but honestly this felt like it came from a put-together person who is excellent at expressing themselves clearly and cleverly. A lot of philosophical essays quickly lose themselves in pretentiousness, but somehow you completely avoided that, which is impressive to say the least!
Also, I just loved all the links and references you put in (bananas, Radiohead, AS King, etc). There were enough to be really really interesting but not enough to be all chaotic and disconnected. And generally I'm not one for other people's rambling but when the rambling is as good as this I'd read a whole book of it. I was just hooked! The more you wrote the more I wanted to read.
I loved the idea of swirling lyrics around in your head btw. Small edit: (4th to last paragraph) "I guess the point it boils down to is this." I'm sure you meant "the point is" or "it all boils down to this." :)
Honestly, dude, there isn't much else to criticize. Some of your sentences I actually want to remember forever. Just..oh my god. And basically the last 4-5 paragraphs I had fallen so far into your writing that the two one-line paragraphs hit me like SEMITRUCKS. Amazing stuff and please keep writing anything anytime you are wonderful.






Thank you so much for reading it!



User avatar
27 Reviews


Points: 1762
Reviews: 27

Donate
Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:02 pm
DrLavender wrote a review...



This was beautiful! I loved how the essay began with talking about bananas as a light, humorous, and jovial subject, and then switched gears. I was intrigued! A few notes so far:

"I used to eat them all the time! Mom gave me quarters, which I fed to the machine in exchange for the holy banana grail. Couldn’t get enough."

When you say "Couldn't get enough." I'd recommend an exclamation point over a period, but it's a very minor note. It works either way of course.

"If we see a bridge we cannot cross, a sadness we cannot overcome, a void we can’t press through, we repeat ourselves and make up different scenarios to cover the truth."

To remain consistency on this, I'd recommend changing "can't" to "cannot".

Aside from that, it was virtually flawless. I enjoyed this thoroughly and found it extremely relatable.






Thank you for reading!



User avatar
99 Reviews


Points: 603
Reviews: 99

Donate
Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:15 pm
Remington38 says...



I absolutely loved this! It was so thought provoking and wonderful I don't know what else to say.






Thank you so much! <3




The simple truth is that authors like making people squirm. If this weren't the case, all novels would be filled completely with cute bunnies having birthday parties.
— Brandon Sanderson, Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians