12+

I Walk

by Cithara

I walk down a silent street in the dark of night
Stained with blood not meant to be shed
My feet pass within near inches, of a spot
where a body had just been removed
I keep walking

If I strain my ears, they will catch the echoes of screams
Escaping lips previously opened to sing along to a band
Just a normal night, looking forward to the weekend
a flyer flutters past me, snatched by the wind
Taken to an unknown area
I keep walking

It has just rained, cool and wet laces through the air
I shiver slightly at a chill spiking down my neck
But it does not mean anything to me
the rushing of a breeze has past
Never to be felt by some again
And I keep walking

My hands reach into pockets as I speed past a woman
holding a flag, its nationality I do not recognize
And I am going by too fast to look closer
if I recall, I could’ve sworn it was not
One of nationality at all but of unity
I keep walking

And I cannot, for the life of me, comprehend
How evil always seems to persist, always prevails
For evil always wins when within its hands
there is a life, whose only known fault
only known offense, was living
And why must it be so?
I do not know
I walk.

Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:04 pm
Pompadour wrote a review...

Y'ola. Here to review as requested~

Before I begin, it's admirable that you wrote this, in light of what happened last week. Most of the time, pain is difficult to put into words, the kind of pain that we see and feel almost every day--no matter where it happens, no matter who it happens to. What I like about this poem is that even though it's written for the Paris terror attack, it's relatable. It doesn't pinpoint an exact place or time: it talks about aftermaths, and I've always felt the aftermath is just as important as the happening itself. The poet's tone is absolutely lovely in this piece; it sounds haggard and resigned and damp, which is what you were going for, yes?

For the rest of the review, I will speak detachedly, talking about the construction of the poem as a whole.

1) Your tenses have a tendency to jump around quite a bit. In line 4, 'had been removed' would read better as 'has been removed'. I also feel like the 's' in 'stained' should not be capitalised? I'm not bothered by the lack of punctuation, because it seems you've used capitalisation to guide your readers' internal sense of rhythm, but the break between 'night' and 'stained' does not work for me. I also had to read that line twice--is the poet stained with blood or are the streets stained with blood? It's not very clear.

2) In stanza two, the poet's thoughts aren't conveyed very clearly. It's not that poetry is always clear--sometimes ambiguity works well for the effect the writer is trying to create. In this case, though, it's just that all the images are clashing together, and the lack of punctuation doesn't really work in a stream-of-consciousness way as much as it creates confusion. I think it might help if the poem detached itself slightly from the poet at this point, so we don't focus on the poet 'straining (their) ears' or any of those grounded actions. Because the scene is surreal, right? Because it's so hard to believe. I'd rather focus on the actions themselves, on 'the echoes of screams' /doing/ something to the narrator. Right now, your images are toppling into one another: You shift from straining ears to catching echoing screams to those screams having escaped from lips to those lips having sung songs prior to this. It's a lot to take in. Maybe this is intentional, but it confuses the reader a tad.

3) Even in poetry, it's good to avoid passivity. Maybe passivity works in some situations, but in this situation, where the narrator's mind is active and the rest of their actions focus on the happening, even that which has already happened must make it into the present. 'An echo of a scream dances through the air;//my ears reach out to catch it--it is mocking, having escaped//from lips previously gasping lyrics of (*insert here*)' is an example of how you can make the situation active. The narrator is the observer of the aftermath. They're just a conch and the ocean around them holds more importance.

I like how you've gotten the 'numb' feeling across, but I think focussing on the numbness as a whole paves the way to monotony later on in the piece. It fiddles with our feelings well in the first stanza, but by the end of the first stanza the reader is expecting suppressed rage and raw, aching feelings, too. So mix it up a little. There's potential here; you can do a lot with this.

One more thing: This is a very raw, very honest piece, and in that it's absolutely lovely. It is also, however, a little too prosaic--and I don't mean to be harsh at all when I say this. It's your style. It's how you choose to convey the images you build. It does feel like something is impeding the flow, though, like there's this almost-tangible barrier between the reader and the poem, and that might be because we hardly ever depart from the narrator to the scene itself. Try making this a little less prose-ish. Jumble up your sentences, play with the words, be unconventional. Stuff sentence structure--it's not the most important thing.

My advice: Write. Keep writing. Write this in different ways, play with all the emotions, make this more than the standing tribute it is. I like how the 'I walk' balances the moment, how it points to moving forward, yet the reader is always wondering who exactly the narrator is. What have they lost? How has this changed them? Where are they walking to and what is their destination? Where is the u-turn, the bend in the road that they've encountered, and how has it changed /them/? The work focusses on walking, on moving forward. There's a shred of optimism here, and I think you could exploit this, get the feeling across in a manner that is more poignant and more /visible/.

So where is the narrator walking to?

PM me if you have any questions. Keep writing! Keep up the great work, Writ!

Hope this helped.

~Pomp x

Exactly what I needed pomp <3 thank you so much

Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:48 am
TimmyJake wrote a review...

Review. Um, righttt. How does one review poetry again? O.0

I will do my best to read through this and find something to nitpick for you here, but to tell you the truth, I don't think I'll be much help. As usual, your poetry is beautiful and tugs all the right heartstrings, as well as giving us a perfect emotional picture of the environment. I noticed you almost avoided describing the characters and even the physical place around them for the most part, and focused on the emotions within. What can I say? It worked. ;)

Lemme run through this and see if I can find anything worth your time to critique~

Stained with blood not meant to be shed

I'm going to be super nitpicky and point out that the blood shed in any attack was meant to be shed - not accidentally. The people pulling the trigger did it intentionally, so the blood wasn't "not meant" to be shed. Silly critique, probably. xd

of a spot
where a body had just been removed

I find myself somewhat extracting what I said about not needing the description as much for the reader to feel the scene. This is too bare bones for me, and I think you need to describe how the character knows that a body was there? We can all make assumptions and create it by ourselves in our minds, but... an accurate and vivid descriptions are always wonderful. c:

Also, since you seem to be writing this in present tense, had should be changed to has

Read the stanza with the line - then without. To me, it breaks the focus of the piece and doesn't actually help it at all, or move what you're trying to convey here forward?

Who puts their hands into their pockets while "speeding" (running, I assume?) past people? xd Also, speeding implies something faster than walking... which clashes with the title and last line of each stanza.

Hm. I'm reading through this, and while it brings out something we all feel alike (although some more than others), it seems... incomplete. Like you've started something, but never finished. You've shown us all this, asked questions, described the awful events in an emotional, intimate way, and yet I feel like the ending is an open door and a true ending at all. I'm not even sure what the ending lacks, but it just reads like it's missing a touch of something. Perhaps hope? You've shown us death and reason for despair throughout the poem, and while that's great if you want to ruin our day... I think something at the end to almost capture what we need to do, or what your character feels at the end, would boost the poem and keep it from having that lacking feeling towards the end. As I said, I don't know what it's missing exactly, can't pin it down, but I'm leaning towards the opinion that it lacks both an answer and a touch of hope.

Sorry for the shabby review, Grace. c: It's been too long since I've done this, and what can I say while reviewing a poem of yours? - save for a lot of praise and a few clumsy nitpicks.

More poems pwease.
~Darth Timmyjake in training

thanks tim, I too thought I could've added more, since it felt like I started something and just didn't know how to finish.

Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:33 am
1998 wrote a review...

Yo. I'm 1998.
I was actually going to do a poem on the attack on Paris, but I didn't know how to put it into words. You just did. (: Good job. I'm actually glad you got to it first. I'm not sure if my poem would have been that good.

Thank you for acknowledging the attack. It really is sad how many lives were lost from the attack.

Anyway, I like how descriptive your poem was. I like how you chose to describe everything around than the actual person. It's interesting.

Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:24 pm
elysian wrote a review...

OH MY GOSHHHHH YESSSSS. I'm soooo excited, so pumped!! I haven't read it yet but gosh dangit it's been waaaaay to long since I've read a new piece from you! <3 aghhhhh okay let's do this <3

alright:

while you do describe your surroundings pretty well, you don't really describe her as much as I would want you to. tell me how her blonde/brunette/red/black (whatever) hair is ratted or nice! tell me if her *color* eyes are squinting through the rain/night. tell me what her clothes are like, is she smiling? frowning? smirking? I think you get the point ;-) or if it's a guy >.>

where a body had just been removed

this was a taaaad bit awkward for me. maybe the comma was what got me off? I don't know, just maybe try to redo the structure of the line :p

ooooh. Okay, so this is political? I'm guessing you're talking about extremist/terrorists. Okay, then I kind of like that you weren't super specific. I don't know, I found it hard to really visualize the character though, which made it harder to connect, but I do understand where you're coming from. I think that's what you mean by this poem xD

this is a beautifully written piece, powerful. Gosh, I've missed your poetry so much!! <3

this is amazing, Grace.

-Del

Thank you! <3
I'll admit I wasn't working so hard to specify the narrator, because it's a poem that was meant to encompass all witnesses to terrorist attacks, to generalize all people, if that makes sense? I just didn't want to make the narrator the big part of the poem, but rather the message that was meant to be portrayed. I'll work on giving the narrator more of a persona/personality if it really does detract from the poem. Thank you so much for all of your insight, it's greatly appreciated! I shall work on the punctuation issue
<333 I've been writing more these days, and this recent attack prompted me to poet, too.

Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:13 pm
dogsrule5 wrote a review...

Hello, Dogsrule5 here for a review. So I thought your poem was very good, and meaningful. It had a lot of power, but here (listed below) are a few things that could help you improve your poem.

1. Where is it taken place? Most of the time people want to know where the setting is, so they are not confused about what could be around them. Also describe the setting. What's around.

2. Put emotion into the character. Pretend that you're the character in the poem, and you are the one walking down the street. I know it's in first person, but where the emotion?

These two things can help the reader when reading this poem. Or any writing for a matter of fact. Anyway I'm not saying to go re-due your whole poem, and I'm not saying this to me mean and harsh. I'm saying it to help you, so please don't take it meaning and personal. I wouldn't want us to be enemies.

Now I'm going to tell you some more improvement tips. You might consider these nitpicks as well. But again don't take them personally.

1. I noticed that you had very interesting capitalization. Most of the time in most poems I read you capitalize every word at the beginning of each line. But in a few places in the stanza in every stanza you didn't capitalize. Let me show you what I mean in-case you don't understand what I'm saying.

[quote For evil always wins when within its hands
there is a life, whose only known fault
only known offense, was living
And why must it be so?[/quote]

Look at the words only and there in lines two and three. This exert is from the last stanza in case you were wondering, but... Anyway...

There and only are the only words not capitalized in this stanza. I noticed this happens throughout the poem. Is there a reason. If not, I think you should do some editing. But if you don't want to that's okay, because it's your poem, not mine.

2. I noticed there's really no punctuation in your poem as well. I see some commas, but no periods, or exclamation points etc. There is no punctuation at the end of your sentences. Is there a reason? If not, you might want to go back and decided where your lines end.

That's about it with nitpicks, as far as I can see.

Now to the good part of my review...!

I really, really, loved your poem. It had so much meaning and power. It was amazing. I really liked it and I hope you write more meaningful and powerful poems and other works too.

Keep up the good writing,
Love,
Dogs

Hey thanks! Quickly wanted to clarify: this poem had no intended environment, it meant to span all terrorist attacks that have occurred over time and in various areas. I tried not to be too specific because it is meant to convey the general meaning. I suppose I was trying to utilize the simplistic approach to a poem rather than weigh it down with too emotion.in fact my lack of emotion can be interpreted as the speaker being numbed so much by these constant attacks there is no shock anymore. As far as mechanics I didn't take punctuation too much into consideration so thank you for pointing out this concern! I appreciate your review so I understand what interpretations are being made .

dogsrule5 says...

Thanks for replying. I understand! Well talk to you later, and keep writing.

Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:26 am
Eros wrote a review...

Hello TheScratchedAccustic!!

This is Eros here to review your beautiful poeem!!

Before that let me say that I really felt sad about the destruction and the ruthless killing of people in Paris. I was shocked to hear the news about it. There are many countries where terrorist attacks are made to occur. Even here, in India, we had a big Bomb Sphort, in Mumbai. I don't know what these people get by doing such destructions! Happiness? By killing happiness of others? By snatching smiles from others? Oh God! Change their minds!

Well... Lets come to your poem. I felt nice to see your effort in putting light on this opic of terrorist attack. I like the flow of your poem.
I like the plot of your poem. You are walking on the roads where the detructions had happeened and your feelings about the scene of ruthless, massive killing. I like the way you presented your emotions throug this poem. I like your choice of words and the construction of sentences. You have a great skill of writing. Let it not get subdued. Bring it up and
Keep Writing...
For we all love to keep reading it...!
~ Eros :D

Love is friendship that has caught fire. It is quiet understanding, mutual confidence, sharing and forgiving. It is loyalty through good and bad times. It settles for less than perfection and makes allowances for human weaknesses.
— Ann Landers