Eden Chapter One

by Bellarke

@Lareine

Chapter One: Corpse

She stood at the crossroads, her heart thumping loudly in her ears as she watches them all.

Police men and women barking orders at the bystanders watching.

At the flashing of the ambulance lights.

At the broken, shattered metal of what was her mustang.

And at the EMTs who were lifting a dark form onto a stretcher, A head of fiery red hair falls over the edge.

The same hair that I have She thinks.

“Eden!” A voice rises over all of the background noises.

A broken voice.

Eden, who's there, but not there at the same time, turns and looks in just enough time to see Carlo jog by, his blonde hair stained red with blood.

Eden’s blood.

The world stops as Carlo reaches the stretcher, and says two words.

“She's dead.” His voice cracks and he falls to his knees.

Eden slowly shuffles forward, towards Carlo.

Then, she gasps.

On the stretcher lies Eden’s body, in a heap of blood and bones. Blood comes from all of her cuts and bruises on her arms and legs.

Not moving at all.

A corpse.

A cold, blue lipped corpse.

Eden slowly reaches out, and puts a hand to her own forehead.

The cold skin does not even have time to react against the ghostly skin, because Eden is sucked back into her body.

She cannot move a single muscle in her body, paralyzed, she is forced to sit still.

HELP ME!!!!! Eden thinks loudly as her visions starts to shift into a darkness that she doesn't like.

Eden has been afraid of the dark since she was twelve when she woke up in the night, and found a spider sitting on the pillow next to her.

When it gets dark, the memory comes to play.

“Come on, Eden, you could go faster than that!” Ali was saying in the car.

“I know. I know.” Eden said as she pushed on the gas.

“Eden, Babe, you don't have to listen to her.” Carlo says, putting a hand on her thigh.

“Oh yeah?” Eden looks at him, challengingly

“Yeah.”

She pushes the pedal all the way down.

She is smiling and laughing to much to watch the road, she looks over at Carlo, just as a white light fills the car.

“WATCH OUT!” Ali screams.

Then, the blistering pain and screams.

Then the darkness.

Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:26 am
itsCate wrote a review...

Helloooo. I liked this a lot, it was a wonderful story. And well written, keep on writing and making readers feel your story. Let them understand what is going on. Detail is always great so that the readers can be in with the characters.

I always make sure that my readers are into the book and enjoy reading as much as I do writing it. Keep up your good work!

Fri May 25, 2018 1:32 am
Carlito wrote a review...

Hello! I was drawn to this story because I saw the other chapters in the green room listed as realistic/romantic which is my favorite and since the chapters aren't super long I thought I'd pop over here first.

You've got an intriguing start here!! I really didn't realize the MC was dead until she herself realized she was dead. I liked that you kept the paragraphs and sentences short, especially at the beginning because that really helped speed up the pace and add some intrigue and suspense.

I was with you until she got sucked back into her body. That part, and everything that came after confused me a little bit. So was this like a touch with death, out of body experience and then she came back to her body and was in tremendous pain and had a flashback about what happened for her to nearly die? That could be cool if you want to do that, but if that's the case I'd flip the order around a little bit.

It can be tricky starting a novel with such a big, dramatic scene because while yes it captures the reader's attention and can immediately draw us in, since the reader doesn't know anything about the characters or what's going on some readers might feel confused or distanced. So, with flipping the order around a little bit, I would propose the following: starting the chapter a littler earlier in the day to show who Eden and the main characters are, then actually show the accident happen. There could be a scene break (or you could even start the next chapter) with what you have here with Eden "waking up" confused and dead and then coming back into her body. If you did that, I think you would still maintain the intrigue and drama you have in this opening chapter while giving the reader a little more context about what's going on.

Overall though, I'm intrigued and I'm looking forward to reading on in your story! Let me know if you have any questions or if you'd like feedback on something I didn't mention :D

fishsashimi wrote a review...

Hey there, OniiChan here!

Great job on your first chapter, a short summary of the aftermath of a car crash. One thing that got me was who Ali and Carlo were. I think that you should clarify who they are, for example:

“Come on, Eden, you could go faster than that!” Ali, Eden’s friend, said from the car.

Something like that. Another thing is that sentences with a period don’t end in a period if they have extra text afterward. For example:

“Eden, Babe, you don’t have to listen to her,” Carlo says.

On a few you forgot a few quotes in general. I don’t think I have much else to say. Good job!

Keep on writing

Bellarke says...

Thank you.

Brigadier wrote a review...

Hey there ThatGeekyGirl.

There's a couple of things that stick out to me before all else, mainly how short this is. It feels more like a novel preview than anything else and I'm hoping that this is just a chapter part. (Or possibly something that can be refiled as a short snippet prologue.)
It just barely establishes the premise, and with the quick jar to the near past, doesn't have any presence of flow.

Somewhat combined in with the length is the spacing, which is pretty irregular. Yes, put spaces between lines of dialogue, but please don't do it for every line of the story.

The same hair that I have She thinks.

All of that would look a bit better if collapsed like this:
She stood at the crossroads, her heart thumping loudly in her ears as she watches them all. Police men and women barking orders at the bystanders watching. At the flashing of the ambulance lights. At the broken, shattered metal of what was her mustang. And at the EMTs who were lifting a dark form onto a stretcher, A head of fiery red hair falls over the edge.

The same hair that I have She thinks.

I chose to look at the bit for some reasons, a lot of it being because this is the intro paragraph. There's some specifics I'm looking at grammar and dialogue wise, but I'm mainly bothered by sentence structure, which could do with a bit of creativity.
Like here's the spirit of the main character, having an out of body experience, but the first thing she does is look at her car. With something like this happening, I feel like there should be more panicking and exploration, than what already takes place.
That would also give this a bit more length and substance. The problem isn't with the story being short, it's that there is nothing there for a reader to hold on to, and want to make it through the next series of events.

The same hair that I have She thinks.

I'd recommend putting this line more in the form of something like this:
"The same hair that I have," she thinks.

You could really cut "she thinks" out, if you add in the italics and a bit more description on either side.

A more technical thing I'm having issues with is the presence of law enforcement and the EMTs. There's no clear time frame for when the crash happened and if it's clearly defined that she's dead, EMTs would not be transporting her. It's a car crash involving multiple people, so that means cops and then that means a forensics team, which would include a medical examiner to transport a victim of the car crash. EMTs imply that she has some chance but everyone else is running around screaming like chickens with their heads cut off, saying that she's dead.
I know that doesn't matter much to you in the long run but just as like a first impression thing, it really put me off.

Then the darkness.
[/quote]
I think I understand where you were going with this and I know why it's being applied in this scenario, but it is just a really tiring phrase. After like every single car crash in fiction, the victim slips into some sort of dark abyss, and it's just like "omg, everything is darkness." Which is ya know fine, but it's up there with the most used phrase of "omg", which I'm predicting will pop up quite often in this story.
Especially since that's a summary of all of the dialogue I've seen so far.

Overall, you just need a bit of re-ordering and adding on a bit of material. Without all the wacky spacing, this is maybe two or three paragraphs? It can work with that but I think you really need more padding to draw the readers in, and get them coming back for more of the story.

If you want explanations of any of that, just drop me a line.
~Lizz

Bellarke says...

Thank you.

One fish, two fish, red fish, aardvark.
— alliyah