16+

Gall - Prologue

by TessyBoo

Prologue

“This is the LAST STRAW, Miss Lake.” Principle Jones said in exasperation with her hands in the air exaggerating her frustration. In a regal way she sunk in her chair. Normally she sat with a posture that would put the Queen of England to shame, but under the circumstances she let herself go a little. She stroked her hair until perfectly flattened into her tight bun. One hair didn’t seem to want to stay in place, she stroked it vigorously but it rebelled perpetually. I should name the hair strand Lake, she joked satirically to herself. Though it was already late, Jones’s eyes were sharp and filled with the wisdom of many school years spent as the head of Belmond High. None of that experience however, helped her against the infamous ‘Lucky’. Tapping a neatly painted fingernail, she nervously watched the delinquent. The girl exuded an air of rebellion and mischief. Her near black eyes looked at poor Principal Jones in challenge. Lucky was sprawled over the chair, looking at ease with a smug smile on her face, it would seem she wanted to be punished. Jones let out a small sigh. Never in her life had she had such a troublesome student and this had to happen her last year before retirement. Poor Jones.

“Good Heavens!” Had been her reaction when she was confronted by a bleeding teacher who demanded the expulsion of one Lucinda Lake. Lucinda had cracked a chair over the head of Mr. Bradley, it was truly a miracle he did not suffer from a concussion. The lenient principle had tried to avoid expelling her but this was something that you could not turn the other cheek too. Even her troubled past could not excuse this violent behaviour, she was now a safety hazard to the faculty. So many times had Lucinda gotten off with only a warning or suspension. Like the time she had graffitied the staff room with a incredibly inappropriate (and accurate) image of the male genitalia. Or that time when she somehow managed to hack the school network and broadcast a porn video that suspiciously starred someone who looked just like the gym teacher. Or when she rode her motorcycle through the school hallways yelling in what was deemed unacceptable school language. Jones rubbed her temple, even thinking about the numerous transgressions gave her a migraine. They all know whose student file is the thickest. The impatient tapping of a foot brought Jones back to the matter at hand. She gave a weary exhale of breath and spoke swiftly.

“I’m sorry, Miss Lake, but we can no longer have you stay at this school. You will never be allowed to set foot in this campus again. Clear out your locker and go home. I have already informed social services, and they will contact you soon to discuss where you will be placed now. Please hand in your textbooks to the library before you leave.” When Jones finished speaking, Miss Lake stood up and left the room without a word.

What happened next left Principal Jones wishing she took an early retirement.

Cook9285 wrote a review...

Whoa! This is so cool! It sounds really interesting and I'm excited to read more. Just a few notes before I go. Your dialogue is kind of hard to pick out, try starting a different line whenever someone speaks. With what I said about the dialogue try to place your paragraphs so it doesn't look so bulky. As far as the story goes, I really like your idea. I understood what Jones is like very soon, and almost immediately disliked Lake. Since it's a prolog, I'm not really concerned about the length, however, it would be nice if you described more like her surroundings. Not really appearances but just overall so we get the big picture. The ending was really interesting and it's leaving me ready for your next entry.

TessyBoo says...

Hey Cook,
Thanks for the positive feedback! I hope that you review my next work soon :)

Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:51 am
SynonymousTom wrote a review...

Hey there, TessyBoo! I'm Tom, I'll be leaving a review for you today.

I just want to start off by saying this caught my eye when I noticed "Military Maine Acadamy for Juvenile Delinquents" in the description. I actually grew up in Maine :)

It's wicked late where I'm at right now, so I'm going to leave you with a rather short review. If you want to hear anything else just let me know and I'll get back to you, or feel free to leave a request in my "Will Review for Food" thread!

So for starters I'd like to compliment your sense of narration in this prologue. It made it extremely easy to follow, and I felt as though I was being tugged or guided along for the read. Very easy and enjoyable, and it made me not want to turn away until I had fully finished the piece. I hope you stick to this style, because I'll most definitely stick around to the chapters following this one! I'll look out for those in the future, so be sure to drop some review requests for me when you post them :)

I'll just nitpick some small issues here and there in terms of writing and grammar now.

"Though it was already late Jones’ eyes were sharp..."

Add in a comma after "late" in that sentence since a name follows it. Its a general rule, along with better improving the flow of the sentence.

"Tapping a neatly painted fingernail, nervously she watched the delinquent."

Swap "nervously" and "she." I'm assuming you went for a bit of different wording here, but sticking to putting the "she" first makes it much more pleasant on the eyes and mind, and grammatically makes much more sense.

"Lucinda was sprawled over the chair, looking at ease with a smug smile on her face, it would seem she wants to be punished."

With this, I would replace "Lucinda" with "Lucky." We hadn't learned her real first name yet, so it took me a few rereads to pick up on who we were talking about. You did, however, mention her nickname of "Lucky," so that's why I recommend using that. The second time you use "Lucinda," though, I enjoy. It uses her entire name in an almost derogatory manner, and we already knew her last name, so it's a much cleaner way of introducing her real first name.

"We all know whose student file is the thickest."

Here, I would change "we" to "they," simply because the narration was never in first person up until that point. Leaving it in third person just keeps it cleaner.

"What happened next left Principal Jones wishing she took early retirement."

I would just throw in an "an" or "the" before "retirement," just for the flow of the sentence's sake.

My last comment is that I loved the flow and narration of the second paragraph, as well as the final line. The second paragraph was fun to read as I got to learn about everything Lucky has done to get to this point, and it kept me hooked. Simple as that. The final line keeps the hook going by suggesting that Lucky somehow followed all that up with something even worse! Well done :)

Overall I really enjoyed this piece, and I hope my small nitpicks help in some way! I hope you continue this story and continue to share the following chapters with us, I'll have my eyes out for them.

-Tom

TessyBoo says...

Hi Tom,
I'll be sure to keep you posted on the next chapters! I want to thank you for taking the time to review my work. I appreciate your feedback.

-Tes

RubyRed wrote a review...

Hello, TessyBoo! And seeing now that you are new to the site, welcome to the Young Writer's Society!

I'm going to make corrections to your work in bold or stricken through then comment below on what I think of the story/prologue!

"This is the LAST STRAW, Miss Lake," Principle Jones said in exasperation with her hands in the air exaggerating her frustration.

Also, I don't know if you meant for her to say "STRAW", but even if you did it seems out of place since the teacher is being serious.

One hair didn’t seem to want to stay in place. She stroked it vigorously, but it rebelled perpetually.

Though it was already late, Jones’s eyes were sharp and filled with the wisdom of many school years spent as the head of Belmond High. None of that experience, however, helped her against the infamous ‘Lucky’.

Lucinda was sprawled over the chair, looking at ease with a smug smile on her face, it would seem she wanted to be punished.

Jones let out a small sigh. Never in her life had she had such a troublesome student, and this had to happen her last year before retirement.

"Good Heavens!" Had been her reaction when she was confronted by a bleeding teacher who demanded the expulsion of one Lucinda Lake.

Even her troubled past could not excuse for this violent behaviour, she was now a safety hazard to the faculty.

"I’m sorry, Miss Lake, but we can no longer have you stay at this school. You will never be allowed to set foot in this campus again. Clear out your locker and go home. I have already informed social services, and they will contact you soon to discuss where you will be placed now. Please hand in your textbooks to the library before you leave." When Jones finished speaking, Miss Lake stood up and left the room without a word.

So as far as format goes, I'd place your paragraphs for so it doesn't look so bulky other than that and the grammatical errors I pointed out I'd say you're good there. As far as story goes, I kind off like the idea. I understood what Jones is like very soon, and almost immediately disliked Lake. Since it's a prologue, I don't have comments on the length, however, it would be nice if you described more. Not really appearances but just overall so we get the big picture.

The ending was nice. It left me wondering what will happen to Jones next, ect. So, I'll be waiting for you're first chapter, and I hope to see more description there. :) Good job and again welcome to YWS!

~Ruby

TessyBoo says...

Hello Rubyred,
Thank you for the review and taking the time to read my story. The nit-picks were very helpful and I have already edited them!

RubyRed says...

I'm glad it helped! Tag me when you put up the next chapter :)

TessyBoo says...

of course, how do I do that though? :P

RubyRed says...

Oh just use the @ sign before my name when you make the announcement on your wall :)

TessyBoo says...

Ah ok sure thing :)

ExOmelas wrote a review...

Hey there,

Nit-picks and nice moments:

Principle Jones said in exasperation with her hands in the air, exaggerating her frustration.

In a regal way

How so? Describe this.

Poor Jones.

I like how deadpan this is :)

gotten off with only

We all know who’swhose student file is the thickest.

This also seems a bit redundant. It's the kind of deadpan sentence that would refer to something, but you've just described everything it's referring to.

I really like your last sentence. Earlier I reviewed a work that had the last sentence something like "Her life would change for ever" and I said to be more specific. You have done so, well done!

Character: I get a fairly good idea of Jones, but the fairly monotonous structure sometimes makes it hard to focus. Variance of sentence structure like your last sentence and the "Poor Jones" (which were your strongest moments) would keep me more entertained and make sure I remained invested in the characters the whole way through.

Setting: Fair amount done, but it's not particularly long so my expectations aren't too high.

Plot: This is interesting, but in order to feel more sorry for Lake (who I'm assuming is going to be one of the main characters) I think I at least need to hear her speak, or hear more specific details about the troubled childhood that is referred to. This will make it easier for me to invest in the characters and the plot and want to continue reading to find out what happens next, though like I said your cliffhanger is strong.

Hope this helps,
Biscuits :)

TessyBoo says...

Thank you for the review. I appreciate you taking to review my story :) and will make sure to take your advise and edit/expand certain areas.

I wanted to explain why my prologue was written like it was;
As this is only the prologue I wanted to show a hint at part of the reason why she was sent to the school she will be going to in future chapters. Since the rest of the novel will in Lucinda Lake's perspective I thought it would be interesting to add her former principle's perspective. It was also to give a hint at Lake's character from another persons point of view.

ExOmelas says...

Ohhh I see... It would maybe make more sense for this to be a flashback, or to have put the prologue up once we have read at least some about Lucinda

TessyBoo says...

I see your point. I guess I should have done that... :P

Remember the rain that made your corn grow.
— Haitian Proverb