Abysmal

by Taypurade

[Lights. One young woman lays center stage with a thick rope tied around her ankle and a large timer sitting behind her. The rope is tied to a tall wooden post, and she wears a white dress. The entire stage is dark except for the spotlight surrounding her. A figure walks onstage and picks up the timer to set it. A loud ticking noise becomes audible throughout the theatre. The cloaked figure stands over the girl and stares down at her. Its face is not visible. She slowly wakes, realizing that there is something extremely wrong with this picture, but fails to notice that she is not alone.]

BLISS:Hello?

[No answer]

BLISS:…hello?

[Her voice echoes. She is obviously extremely confused. BLISS tries to pull herself to her feet, but quickly sees that she is retrained by the rope around her ankle. She still, however, does not notice that there is someone standing behind her. She is completely oblivious]

BLISS:What is…[Pause. She touches the rope, but does not attempt to untie it.]I don’t….[The thing behind her mimics all of her actions like a shadow. BLISS stops for a moment, becoming suspicious of her surroundings for the first time. The entire stage is dark besides for the light that is on her and the shadow. BLISS turns around, so does the shadow.]

BLISS:Excuse me?[No answer]Excuse me![Still no answer]What is this? What’s going on here? And how long have you been standing there?[Silence]Don’t ignore me. Please don’t ignore me. I can’t stand it when people ignore me. …Can you even hear what I’m saying?[She realizes that she is being mimicked]Stop it. Stop doing that. I know that you can see me. I know that you know I’m here. Answer me. What is this?[She waves in front of the shadow’s face. It copies her.]You can’t do anything. All you do is copy me. Why are you doing that? Are you teasing me? Is that it? …Well then. That’s quite rude. The least you could do is explain yourself.

[She looks that the shadow impatiently]

BLISS:Or not. That works too. Fine… whatever you feel is necessary. I’ll figure things out myself then. You know, since it’s obviously not your problem.[She goes back on her knees and feels around on the ground, the shadow does the same, but BLISS ignores it this time.]What’s this?[BLISS holds up a nail file with a sharp enough edge to saw through the rope]Perfect. See? I didn’t need your help in the first place, so take that.[She leans down and starts sawing through the rope with the file. The shadow does the same, using the exact same motions as BLISS does]And if you’re not going to be of anyhelp, I suggest you leave me be. Really, what you’re doing right now is less than courteous.[There is a loud noise from offstage. BLISS is startled by it]What was that?[The shadow offers no help. There is a sudden change in BLISS’s demeanor and she becomes frantic, trying to cut the rope]Come on, come on, come on, come on.[It finally breaks and she struggles to her feet]

BLISS:There. That’s better.[BLISS goes off into the darker region of the stage, the spotlight following her until she finds a conveniently placed, old-fashioned oil lamp.]Oh, well isn’t this just perfect. It’s quaint, I suppose, but I can make do.[She brushes off some dust, cleans it with one of her sleeves turns it on. This lights up the entire stage] [To the shadow]Do you have anything to say to that? … Nope. Didn’t think you would.[BLISS looks around with the lamp for a bit and discovers that the room is empty, accepting the rope and wooden post.]There’s nothing here. I would ask you what this place is, but of course you have nothing better to do than tease me. … You know, I’m not even entirely sure what I’m looking for, but anything is better than this. Follow me if you’d like, but I can’t sit here and stare at an empty room.[BLISS walks to the other side of the stage. She finds an ornate little bench, decorated with carvings of flowers and other little patterns.]

BLISS:What is this?[The shadow offers no help]… Right. I forgot. You don’t talk. That’s fine then. I can take care of myself. See?[She takes a seat. A young girl walks onstage. The shadow leave’s BLISS’s side and starts to shove the newcomer, LILY]

LILY:Stop doing that… please.[Her pleas are weak, and the shadow does not relent. It continues to bother her with wordless taunts, obscene gestures, and rough shoves]

BLISS:Or… or you can go over there. That’s fine too. I’m better off without you, anyhow. Better her than me.

LILY:Get off- ow! Stop it![BLISS watches the shadow as it dances around LILY, ruffling her dress and tugging at her hair and LILY lets out little shrieks of annoyance and fear]Please! I didn’t mean to-[The shadow finally throws LILY down to her knees. LILY curls up into a fetal position, repeating the same words to herself over and over again]

LILY:I’m sorry. I’m sorry. I’m sorry. I’m sorry. I’m so, so sorry…

[A schoolhouse setting is arranged center stage. Students bring benches on and a chalkboard is wheeled out with math problems on it. The students all take their seats and the teacher goes to the front of the room to begin her lesson for the day. LILY and BLISS, however, do not move. BLISS remains on the ornate bench in the corner, and LILY in a fetal position on the ground]

TEACHER:Class, pull out your slates. We’re working on your arithmetic. I’ll say the numbers and you write them down. Don’t mess it up, or else you’ll look stupid. Like Lily over there. Don’t look stupid like Lily.…[Her speaking is drowned out when the shadow gets up agan, leaving BLISS’s side for the second time. It crosses to LILY, and prods her with its foot.]

LILY:No…please stop. I’m not stupid. Don’t listen to her[She’s holding back tears]Please, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to make mommy sad…I didn’t mean to make you upset, please don’t. Go away. Don’t do this again![It begins to harass her further]Stop it! I’m so sorry! Just stop! Leave![The shadow doesn’t stop, and the rest of the students in the classroom join in.]Stop! Stop! Please![Lily is being kicked and hit, and BLISS just sits there watching.]

STUDENT 1:Get up, Lily!

STUDENT 2:Come on, Lily! Quit being such a baby!

LILY:I’m not being a baby!

STUDENT 3:Oh shut up. You’re not worth anything, you little brat![LILY is sobbing by this point]

BLISS:She seems familiar from somewhere…all of this seems familiar. Somehow. I just can’t quite put my finger on it.[The students finally disperse, taking the classroom scenery with them, leaving LILY laying on the floor. The shadow, however, does not leave. LILY turns around and stars at BLISS sadly and angrily.]

LILY:You could have done something.

BLISS:Don’t you pin this on me!

LILY:Pin this on you. Don’t make me laugh! I’m not pinning anything on you. It’sallyou.

BLISS:I didn’t do anything. It was that shadow thing.

LILY:You never did do anything, did you? You were always so perfect. You were always so innocent.

[The shadow pushes LILY down. She starts crying again as she is harassed by it. It takes her jacket and clothing until she is wearing nothing but a white dress like BLISS. LILY is beaten down and broken, but the shadow doesn’t comfort her. It just slaps LILY. At this point, LILY is on her knees and the shadow has returned to mimicking BLISS, who is still in the same spot as she was before.]

BLISS:I know her from somewhere…[Half to herself]Something about her is just too familiar for my liking.

LILY:You don’t even remember…[Through sobs]

BLISS:I do remember. I remember you from…something. A very long time ago, but just barely. Something about your face, your voice. I can’t quite describe it, but I do know you.

LILY:Do you even know my name?

BLISS:I’m getting there.

LILY:I know your name, Bliss.

BLISS:How?

LILY:Come on, Bliss. You’re not stupid. After all, you always did say how you were the smart one.

BLISS:I don’t know who you are.

LILY:Yes you do.

BLISS:No! I don’t! Stop pretending like you know things when you’re just…clueless! You don’t know anything![BLISS covers her ears]You don’t know anything. I don’t know you. You arenothingto me!

LILY:You can’t drown me out. I’m in there somewhere, Bliss. I know that I’m in there somewhere. You can’t forget about me so easily.

BLISS:Watch me.[BLISS’s shadow moves away from her and crosses to Lily. From the robe covering it’s face, it pulls out a gun and places it into LILY’s hands. LILY looks up at BLISS]

LILY:You made them do those things to me.

BLISS:I didn’t.

LILY:YOUdid all those things to me. And then youhelpedthem do those things to me.

BLISS:I didn’t do ANYTHING, uh-[BLISS doesn’t know the girl’s name.]

LILY:And you still don’t know my name. That’s funny.[She cocks the gun]Out of all the things that I’ve ever done for you, Bliss…I hope you’re happy.

BLISS:Happy…what are you talking about? I don’t even know who you are.[LILY crawls up to BLISS and gets right up in her face]

LILY:Say that to my face.

BLISS:…I don’t-

LILY:You don’t. You can’t. You never will. Same excuses.[She aims the gun at BLISS]Always the same excuses.

BLISS:You won’t shoot.

LILY:Is that so?

BLISS:You don’t have it in you.

LILY:How would you know?

BLISS:You said it yourself. I’m not stupid.

LILY:You’re not stupid?

BLISS:No. But you are.[LILY laughs.]

LILY:You made memiserable, and you don’t even remember. Like it didn’t even matter to you.[BLISS doesn’t answer. The things that have just been said take her by surprise]We’re quiet now, are we? I figured that much. I’ll bet that you didn’t know anything about me. Anything at all.[She puts the gun up against her own head]And I’ll bet that you had no idea that this one was for you.[She looks at her for a moment, unmoving LILY laughs darkly]It never ends, Bliss. It never ends.[She pulls the trigger. LILY falls over, and BLISS does as well, screaming in pain. Laughter of children sounds. BLISS covers her ears to drown it out, but no amount of effort will cover noise up. She crawls to LILY’s side and picks her up, holding the limp body in her arms.]

BLISS:Oh my God. Oh…my God. Wait, no. Lily![BLISS has shocked herself, as she didn’t realize that “Lily” was a name that she knew. BLISS and LILY both freeze. Two younger actresses enter stage right, one shoving the other roughly]

YOUNG BLISS:Momma’s crying again, Lily. Do you know why? Because I think you do. I think you knowexactlywhy Momma is crying.

YOUNG LILY:No, Bliss. I don’t. I don’t know why.

YOUNG BLISS:Yes you do, Lily.

YOUNG LILY:I do? I don’t think-

YOUNG BLISS:You do. Because it’s your fault, Lily.

YOUNG LILY:It…it is?

YOUNG BLISS:Of course it is. She’s crying because Dad left, and dad left because of you. He didn’t want a fat, stupid, ugly kid like you.

YOUNG LILY:Did he say that?

YOUNG BLISS:Don’t be stupid. He didn’t have to. Have you evenlookedin a mirror?

YOUNG LILY:I’m not stupid…

YOUNG BLISS:Yes you are. You know you are.

YOUNG LILY:I’m not stupid.[YOUNG BLISS grabs YOUNG LILY’s face in one hand and stares her down with an intimidating glare]

YOUNG BLISS:You’re fat. You’re stupid. You’re ugly.

YOUNG LILY:But- Ow! Stop it, Bliss! You’re hurting me!

YOUNG BLISS:You’refat,you’restupid,you’reugly. [There is a period in which neither girl speaks. YOUNG BLISS simply stares at YOUNG LILY with her intimidating glare to break her down]

YOUNG LILY:I’m fat…and stupid…and ugly…[she is in tears]

YOUNG BLISS:[She releases her face]That’s what I thought.

YOUNG LILY:I’m sorry…

YOUNG BLISS:Don’t say that you’re sorry. You’re not sorry. Just stop being so pathetic all the time. Maybe then, somebody will like you.[She laughs]Although you’d probably be better off dead.[YOUNG BLISS exits laughing, leaving YOUNG LILY alone with her thoughts]

YOUNG LILY:I’m fat…I’m stupid…I’m ugly[She repeats these words to herself over and over as she exits the stage as well. Once she is no longer visible, a gunshot sounds from offstage]

BLISS:No…no. No, no no no no no no no![BLISS is in hysterics, and lets out a bloodcurdlingly heartbreaking scream. She holds LILY’s body close to her, crying, any sense of decency gone]Oh my God, NO, Lily! NO! This isn’t happening. This can’t…no![The shadow tries to peel BLISS away from her dead sister, but she will not have it]Leave me be, will you? Can’t you see what youDIDto her? WhatIdid to her? Don’t touch me! Don’t come anywhere near me! This isYOURfault! All of this isYOUR. FAULT. [The shadow does not listen, and despite BLISS’s shrill, incoherent cries, separates the girls from one another.]Who are you? Why are youDOINGthis?[BLISS tears off the robe. The shadow is a replica herself]

SHADOW:Glad you finally caught on, Bliss.[BLISS is too shocked to respond. She has essentially lost her mind and can no longer form full sentences. The Shadow grabs BLISS’s wrists]

SHADOW:You saw that? All of that? And you enjoyed it?[There is no response from BLISS]Right. I forgot. You don’t talk. My my my, doesn’t all of these seem soPAINFULLYfamiliar? Think about it, Bliss. Think about all the things that you’ve done.[BLISS, completely broken down, is a blubbering mess]Blaming everything on other people. Never taking responsibility. Letting your sister die.Now, you know what I’m gonna do?[No response. The shadow is growing impatient and angry]Do you?[As BLISS starts to cry, the shadow laughs]I’m gonna make youdancefor me, Bliss. I’m gonna make youdance. [It grabs BLISS’s face.]Fat. Stupid. Ugly. Fat. Stupid. Ugly. Do you like the way that sounds? Do you like the way that feels? Say it. FAT. STUPID. UGLY. FAT. STUPID. UGLY.

BLISS:Fat. Stupid. Ugly. Fat. Stupid. Ugly.[The words are being forced from her mouth, and she cannot stop herself from saying them. They repeat over and over]

SHADOW:Worthless! Wrong![It throws Bliss to her knees as the stage is changed to a schoolhouse again. The students and teacher crowd around her and begin to harass her as they had done to LILY earlier.]And your father didn’t leave because of Lily! He left because ofyou.He didn’t want any kids in the first place, then you came along. You were out of your mind. Crazy. Sadistic. He couldn’t handle you, so he left. It wasn’t Lily’s fault at all. Your mother cried every day because ofyou.It wasall because of YOU.

STUDENT 1:Disgusting. Pathetic!

STUDENT 2:Get up. Get up and take it, Bliss.

STUDENT 3:You’reweak,Bliss! You’re fat, and stupid, and ugly, and pathetic, andweak.[They clear off, leaving BLISS center stage, beaten down and broken. The shadow is in front of her, pointing the gun at BLISS’s head]

BLISS:[Whispers]kill me…

SHADOW:Is that really what you want me to do, Bliss?

BLISS:Please, just kill me. I can’t do this. I can’t do this again. I can’t live like this.

SHADOW:Haven’t you realized yet, Bliss? You’re already dead.

[The oil lamp finally runs out. The stage, which has been getting progressively darker, completely fades to black. The oil lamp has run out. Through the darkness, the ticking finally stops. There is the crack of a gunshot, then a timer rings. The lights go back up. BLISS is center stage, laying on the floor in her white dress. Around her ankle is a thick rope, secured to a wooden post. The shadow, now wearing it’s black robe again walks onstage. It picks up the timer and sets it again so the loud ticking becomes audible, just as it had the first time. It stands over BLISS, who seems as if she is just about to wake up.]

LILY:[Voice over]It never ends, Bliss. It never ends.

[Lights]

Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:52 am
WarriorVoice wrote a review...

I am shocked and startled by this...it almost made me cry. But that's a good thing! This script made me really think about how I treat my siblings. As the oldest child, I often treat my little sister like she's a tarantula, a repulsive and hairy creature I want to have nothing to do with. And as I read this script, my heart just melted. I realized all of a sudden how much I love her and how much I use her as the punching bag for all my insecurities. No one deserves to be told every day that they are a failure, a waste of space, an ugly, stupid, fat idiot who should be dead. Every person is special, and I think that's the message of this play.

Have you ever heard of "Bang Bang You're Dead"? It's a play about a school shooting where the victims haunt their murderer and remind him that for the rest of his life, his only thought, repeating over and over again, will be "I killed them". It reminds me so much of your play; both are moving and hit you like a punch to the stomach, reminding you that how you treat people is how you will be treated, even if that includes hurting them. And also reminding you that if you lose control of your emotions, you will never be able to take back the things you said to someone else. Or did to someone else.

I suggest for this play that you add a few more characters like the parents (to show their arguing before they split). You should also give the shadows a cool choreography, if you are actually planning on performing this play. Something primitive and robotic at the same time, evoking terror and primal fears of death. What I'd really like to know is how you are planning to do costuming. The Shadows should wear all black and really dark Egyptian style eyeliner, with flowing black silk coming off the sleeves and bright red lips. Or black lipstick would be cool, too. For the sisters, matching clothes. Perhaps all white, if they are ghosts. Yet, white represents innocence, so maybe red or purple/gray would be better. And also, will there be background music? It should be haunting flute music or vocals that sound weird and almost zombie-ish. I don't have any actual song ideas, but I'm sure you can think of something.

Lastly, I like the title. "Abysmal"... It sounds so depressing. This would make a great movie, and if it becomes one, I want to act in it.

Greeeaat job!!

Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:04 am
Rarity says...

Oh, wow............. That is pretty amazing. You really put a lot of thought and effort into this script. I thought that your stage directions were especially detailed. Sometimes when reading a script on-line, it can be difficult to visualize what is happening in the story, but I was able to vividly picture the scene. Perfect!

Rarity ♦

Keenanocity says...

Um...I can't really say anything because my mind is in a shock. Give me a second?
...
Okay, I'm good. I've got to hand it to you, Tay. I came here to review only to find out your piece is too perfect.
The feels of BLISS and LILY are so raw even I felt them, as if I were the two people, the way a written piece should make the reader feel.
Excellent job :) I hope I hear more from you

I'm a fledgling potato bird that lives in a nest in the rp forums
— Leya