Unbiased

by Tawsif

Author's note: This is an entry for a contest, and I'd like to have some criticism on the following aspects:

1. The word count for the contest is 1500, and this story for now is almost 1900 words. So I'd like to know which parts in the story could be shorter.

2. The theme of the contest is:  'We will never stop fighting for this planet' - Greta Thunberg. How can young people make change happen? I'd like to know if the story is able to represent this theme well enough.

3. I wrote this for a contest, so it'll be really helpful for me if the reviews of this story mention how it will do in this contest, what my chances are at winning, etc.

Enjoy!

It begins with the picture of a bird soaring in the air, and a quote in the middle.

“Until my ghastly tale is told,

this heart within me burns.”

Samuel Taylor Coleridge

The Rime of the Ancient Marnier

The picture fades. Now there’s an ocean on the screen, peacefully blue under a white sky. Two lines appear at the middle of the screen, which read: Midway Island, North Pacific Ocean, more than 2000 miles from the nearest continent.

A flock of birds are resting in a field fringed by yellowish flowers, and hundreds of others are hovering above the flock. One of the birds glides down towards the ground with all the elegance of her long, black wings. The birds are squeaking altogether, the tune high-pitched, yet musical.

A little bird is all curled up on the grass. The gusting wind is making her straggly, white-brown feathers wave in the air. She’s so light. So fragile.

A couple peers at a somewhat soiled egg. One of them leans in and brushes its curved beak over the egg. The exciting possibilities of a new life.

Seated on a small, hollow scrape, a chick flutters its limbs. She doesn’t have wings yet, but that immaturity isn’t odd. It’s a sign of pure innocence.

The mother has come to feed the chick. The little bird keeps jerking her head for a while, and then finally pushes her juvenile beak into the more matured one of her mother’s. She eats hastily, with the never-ending energy of youth.

There’s a dead bird. Or rather the insides of a dead bird, full of at least twenty plastic bottle-caps, a broken plastic plate, a toothbrush whose tufts have gone dark black—almost as if it’s been burnt—and many more unrecognizable debris.

There’s more dead birds whose bellies are cut open and the insides are shown. More debris.

A little bird is lying on the ground. She’s struggling to move her head, her youthfulness gone.

Another little bird. Unlike the previous one she’s moving her legs frantically, but clearly out of pain. Her insides are killing her.

The view of the field is back on the screen, but not with its lush green. Instead, there are wastes everywhere around the flock of birds. The yellowish flowers are nowhere in sight.

A raspy voice speaks in voice-over:

Do we have the courage the face the realities of our time, and allow ourselves to feel deeply enough that it transforms us?

Once again the birds are flying gracefully, almost obliterating the sky. Once again they’re squeaking.

Come with me on a journey,

A tiny little bird looks back from the screen, her liquid, black eyes surrounded by the lightest of feathers. She blinks and reopens those beauties.

through the eye of beauty

A man is holding up his palms. On the right palm is a dead bird, on the left all sorts of debris that probably polluted her guts. The man strokes the head of the dead bird.

across an ocean of grief,

From a torn egg is peeking out the head of a newborn, seeking all the affection in the world.

and beyond.

The shy is overcast with clouds, and the birds are flying all around. At the middle of the screen against the backdrop of the sky, the following lines appear:

MIDWAY, a love story of our time from the heart of the Pacific

by Chris Jordan

coming soon

Masuma’s heart races. She finds it difficult to breath because there’s some kind of a fire in her stomach.

When she’d clicked on the trailer of this film Midway, she had no idea what was coming to her. So far she’d read scores of articles that detail the scale and effects of plastic pollution, a topic she’d chosen to work on for her class project. But this trailer, this harsh but true reality, was too much to bear.

Guilt begins to consume her heart.

***

In the search bar of YouTube, Masuma types: effects of climate change

A series of videos appear in the search results. Masuma clicks on one randomly. The throbber begins to throb. She waits.

Masuma had topped that class project a week ago. But she didn’t stop there; she continued delving deeper into the topic, reading articles after articles and watching numerous videos. The more she learned and the more evidence she found, the more enraged she felt towards mankind. Towards a system that favors extraction and growth, but never looks back to see the trails of destruction it leaves behind.

She felt a new inspiration too. All of a sudden her life had more meaning than ever. The world was going in the wrong direction and she was going to fix it. The pursuit of such a noble cause was alluring her. She couldn’t wait.

The video starts. She cups her head with her hands and tries to engage more attention.

The video discusses the primary concept of greenhouse effect; statistics regarding carbon emission; effects of climate change on four different aspects, namely, oceans, weather, food, and health; and finally a motivating message about the possibilities of renewable energy for a better world without global warming. Masuma takes notes a couple of times.

As the video ends, she’s about to move the cursor to another video. But then something springs to her mind.

Let’s take a look at the comments. I might find more inspired people. Who knows?

She scrolls down the comments.

Thank you so much for the video. I came here for my homework and this video was really helpful.

She smiles.

Who else is watching this for classwork? Like.

We can’t even predict tomorrow’s weather correctly and these guys can predict what’s going to happen twenty-thirty years from now? Shame!

What!

Frowning, she scrolls further down.

That’s what I’m saying dude. Climate crisis is just bad scientists trying to get more funding.

Climate science is fake! Check this out.

She clicks on the video link.

The video shows how NASA and NOAA have constantly tampered with temperature records, how they have changed the data of the previously published reports, how they have intentionally cooled the temperatures of past years and warmed those of the recent times to support their fraudulent propaganda about the gradual warming trend of average temperatures in the USA.

“This is not science; it’s fraud,” the man in the video says, “and it’s erasing America’s history.”

She finds herself shocked. All that inspiration, all the dreams of a pursuing a noble cause feels so worthless now. Disappointment weighs her down. She feels weak.

***

Lying in her bed, Masuma lets her thoughts wander.

This morning, when she searched ‘climate change lies’, ‘climate change fraud’, ‘there is no climate crisis’ and suchlike, Google initially didn’t show the skeptic blogs. But she stubbornly ignored the pro-climate contents, kept searching, and soon found what she was looking for.

She learnt that surface temperatures cannot be trusted because scientists are constantly adjusting them to support the theory of global warming. She saw old newspaper cuttings that showed fierce temperatures in the past years, which clearly indicates Earth has been warming for a long time and it’s not so alarming as the activists say. Carbon di-oxide, she was surprised to discover, is actually an essential element that makes life possible on Earth which the climate scientists so recklessly ignore all the time. They seemed to ignore a lot of things.

She wanted to deny all of it, but the evidence was right there in front of her eyes, evidence that seemed nothing short of compelling. She was angry at all the climate scientists in the world.

“Damn them”, she mutters now in the bed. “Damn those liars!”

But rage can’t hide her disappointment. Deep inside, she needs the climate crisis to be true. It’s been only a week since she realized she could play a role in fixing the world. And now it seems the world’s okay; nothing needs fixing.

She wonders if all the climate scientists and activists think this way. Maybe this is how this entire concept came into being in the first place: to create an imaginary crisis so that a few people could relish the satisfaction of solving it.

She rolls over in the bed, trying to cease the racing thoughts.

***

Masuma types in the search bar of Google: data tampering allegations on NASA.

She didn’t search for anything regarding climate change in the last two days. She tried to ignore all of it, thinking it would help her get rid of the fanciful craze. But it did exactly the opposite; ignorance made her more frustrated. She started wondering if she was being a fool, if she should’ve delved in more.

And this morning, the frustration had turned unbearable.

The second search result from the top reads: Explainer: How data adjustment affects global temperature records. Curious, she clicks on it.

She doesn’t read the article word by word; she skips the parts that describe scientific detail too complex for her understanding. She reads slowly in the beginning, then fast, then even faster, the beating of her heart gently building up.

She learns that temperature records are adjusted to account for a number of changing factors: switching from old methods of measurement to more modern technology; changes in time of observation—since all the stations do not necessarily record temperatures at the same hour of the day, and that might cause the ‘unadjusted’ data to show an artificial cooling effect; changes in the number and location of weather stations.

She reads more articles and blogs. She learns more. The weight of disappointment disappears, and a renewed purposefulness returns.

I’m so stupid, she thinks. Why didn’t I read these before?

***

"No, that’s too harsh,” Masuma says. “We need to be humble, remember?”

“Yeah, right. They get to curse all they want and we’ll just be all kind and polite.” Tamanna makes a face. “It’s not fair, you know?”

Masuma grins. “It’s unfair. True. But that’s how we convince; being unfairly polite.”

Right now in Masuma’s room, there are six others excluding Masuma and Tamanna. They’re going through the comments on a YouTube video about global warming, searching particularly for the skeptic comments. They want to reply to those commenters politely, try and correct their assumptions showing evidence, and maybe change their minds. They didn’t have a great start; there was this man named Ethan Johnson who fired all sorts of abuse on them, claiming global warming is just an elaborate scheme to authorize carbon tax and make government rich. But there were others who debated calmly, in a scholarly manner. There was even a girl named Katherine who was “in a doubt whom to believe in this horrible mess”, and she was grateful that Masuma and her friends showed her some clear evidence and counter-arguments on the skeptics. “You’re doing a great job to clarify people’s doubts,” she’d said.

Masuma is calling this club of theirs the “Climate Discussion”. They’re not experts. They certainly don’t know everything. But they’re learning every day, discovering new evidence and arguments on both sides of the topic, checking a wide array of contents to get as reliable information as possible.

Most importantly, they are determined not to be biased towards any proposition. Because they believe that, in a world where everyone claims their own assertions as true, unbiasedness is what is needed for change.

Hijinks wrote a review...

Hey Tawsif! I'm here for the requested review!

1. I agree with a lot of what @Que said - the opening section is fairly long and while it does act as a good opening, it could be shortened significantly without losing any of its meaning. I put the opening chunk through a word counter and it by itself is 654 words, so if you can cut it down to a much more concise 200 words then you've met the length requirements right there. It's up to you which parts of the opening you feel are the most important, but I've got a few suggestions for which parts might make the most sense to keep.

“Until my ghastly tale is told,

this heart within me burns.”

If you keep this opening quote, and have Masuma react with something along the lines of, "oh wow, that's so poetic!" and then more or less move directly to

Then she can react with something like, "oh my goodness that horrifying and so unpoetic compared to the quote!" Of course there would be some transitions and alterations that need to be added and made in order for it to work, and the thoughts she is thinking wouldn't be worded like that, but I think you get the idea.
(Also, in the above quote, "there's" should be "there are".)

I'd say that's the most obvious way that you can cut down on the word count. The other way, as Que already said, is to try and use more succinct language.

For example,
(40 words)
could become, if altered slightly,
She skims the parts that use science terms she doesn't understand. She starts reading, then picks up momentum, the beating of her heart gently building up.
(26 words)

This just becomes a matter of reading through the work and being a ruthless editor and seeing what can be said in a shorter way.

2. I think this story does a good job at providing a very sensible and logical approach to climate change. I agree with Que as well that by focusing more on the personal reactions and emotions of Masuma you could make it more impactful.
'We will never stop fighting for this planet' - Greta Thunberg. How can young people make change happen?

One thing I just want to point out about the quote is, saying "we will never stop fighting" implies that this fight will continue on into the future, for a very long time. However this story sort of stops once they've made the club, and doesn't really go into how this will need to be continued for a very long time. It might be interesting if you showed them a few years later, still persevering with the task? But that's just an idea, completely up to you.

3. I'm not sure what sort of competition you're facing in this challenge - whether there's a specific age range, whether the other writers are professional writers or writing is a hobby - so I can't say whether I think you're going to win the competition, however I do think that this is a strong entry that you can be proud of. The grammar's really good, you've got some really nice descriptions, and the concept is pretty well thought out. Overall, well written!

That's it for my review, I hope it helps! And good luck with the contest!

whatchamacallit

Tawsif says...

Thanks, whatcha. As always, excellent review.

Que wrote a review...

Hiya Tawsif,

Q here to review as requested!

So, as to your major points:

1. I think that you could cut a lot of the first part. I've seen videos and images along those lines, and it works as a good opener to gain sympathy for the cause, but it's a little long and awkward. Yes, readers can imagine the video based on the narration you give, but since it's not an actual video, it seems a little strange. It takes some time before you come to the main issues, or even the narrator of the story.

Other than that, you can really pick apart your story, paragraph by paragraph and sentence by sentence. I reduce my word count most when I pick over many words to find more concise and accurate phrasings.

So where you write,

I could write,
A little bird is curled up on the grass. Her straggly, white-brown feathers wave in the gusts of wind. She's so light, fragile.

That got rid of maybe five words. Not a lot, but if you do this throughout your story, you can eliminate a good deal of excess words to reduce your overall word count! You'll probably still need to take out some larger chunks, but when it comes down to fine-tuning, there are really a lot of places where you can make little cuts.

2. I can see the theme in your story, but I think you can make it more relevant by focusing in more on the narrator. Her feelings when she sees comments about "fraud" and how she is disappointed when there's nothing for her to do could be expanded, as well as her passion when she finds the cause she cares about and pursues it beyond school.

I think that your ending could use some work. You spend so much time on the development at the beginning that it seems really sudden to jump to a whole club being formed. If possible, I'd have Masuma replying to one comment at first, having a positive interaction, and then having her friends in turn be inspired by her actions. This would really further the chain of events, and how one thing can inspire one person who inspires others.

Lastly, on this note, I wonder if there's something more these youths can be doing? Yes, there are a lot of comments like those out there, and yes, sometimes those people are up for being convinced of something else. But at least to me, it seems like there are so many people out there spreading hate through the comments who just want to be combative. I think that if Masuma's cause is the environment, then it would be great to see her doing some things to directly help the environment. Or, if her cause is truth about the environment, it might be best to see her creating a website which disproves misleading statements. Something more productive than replying to comments which can sometimes end up as more destructive.

3. Climate change is certainly a very relevant issue, so that will probably be helpful to you. I can't say how many participants there are or what your chance of winning may be, but the more passion you put into your project, the farther it will go. Best of luck!!

One last thing to mention is your tense. I think the present tense throws me off a little, and it gets maybe a tad bit strange when you talk about things she had done, things she was just feeling, and what she's doing now. I don't have any specific guidance, but just keep an eye out for where your tense can get a bit confusing and possibly mixed up with past tense.

Other than that, your story is pretty good! That rabbit hole of looking only for the negative posts online is something I've definitely experienced before, so nice job of writing that part. I'm really glad Masuma decided to look at other sites debunking those articles. Nice job, and good luck in your competition!!! Let me know if you have any questions.

-Q

Tawsif says...

Thanks for the review. You pointed out exactly the same points I've been thinking of myself.

JesseWrites wrote a review...

Hello, good day.

I haven't reviewed in a month or so, please take my considerations with a grain of salt because I may be rusty in some areas of reviewing. I'll try my hardest to be understandable and helpful in places I seem meh-ish.

Okay, first of all, the errors to fix.

All that inspiration, all the dreams of a pursuing a noble cause feels so worthless now.That 'a' is not needed.

That's all I've seen.

Onto the checklist you want to complete.

1. Towards the end, there is a large chunk of words. Maybe scout through and edit out phrases or words that can narrow the word amount. Some of the bold phrases can go too if you'd want to narrow it farther.

2. Yes, it fits. It is sort of a hard topic to write without sounding too pushy or too off topic. I think you should put more about how they affect and try to change things. It can even out the idea's focus.

3. I think you'll make it somewhere. I am not professional in guessing, but I think you'll do totally fine.

Good luck,
Haley

Tawsif says...

Thank you so much for the review.

The most important thing is to preserve the world we live in. Unless people understand and learn about our world, habitats, and animals, they won't understand that if we don't protect those habitats, we'll eventually destroy ourselves.
— Jack Hanna