z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

The Bear’s Rock

by Tambo


The sun shone over the furry brown creature. As the mistaken beast sat on the mossy rock, he devised a plan to expand his dark, cold and small cave. His mind wandered, unaware of his surroundings, to a place he’s always dreamed of. A warm, spacious cave, where he is not disturbed by predators and he can finish his life’s work, a book on ethics. The bear had everything he needed, everything but one thing, he needed to get approval from the mayor. Assuming that the mayor would accept his request he packed his home up ready to move.

As the bear was heading over to the town hall he sat down on his mossy rock to quickly enjoy the serenity. The peaceful chitter of the birds, the gentle wind, and the soothing sound of the cascading and rocky waterfall. He would never want to leave this place.

The town hall was going to close in half an hour so the bear needed to hurry. The bear quickly got off his rock and continued to walk to the town hall. After 20 Minutes of walking the bear had gotten to the town hall. As he entered the town hall doors he suddenly felt nervous, he hadn’t socialised for years, he had always spent his days alone in his cave, he never had never had a mate.

As he was waiting in the lobby for the mayor to finish his meeting he overheard them talking about what they are going to do to the forest next year. “Won’t everyone have nowhere to live if we blow up all the caves?” Said a member of the council. “We’ll move them all to a different forest,”Said the Mayor. “Remember this is all for the money we are going to get when we build a new stadium, ok I have someone outside waiting for a permit,” added the Mayor. The bear was shocked, he froze, his chin dropped and he held his breath. He had heard everything.The Mayor stepped out of his office and escorted the council out. “Who is the bear that is waiting for a permit?” Shouted The mayor. “That would be me sir” replied the bear.

The bear sauntered into the Mayor's office, as he stepped through the office

doorway he thought to himself that this was the filthiest room he had ever been in, although this was one of very few rooms he had been in. He sat in a huge dark sage coloured chair. “ So what brings you here today?” asked the mayor. “ Well I need a permit to expand my cave, I already have the required tnt, I just need a permit” replied the bear. “Yes, so about that,” said the mayor. “It’s ok I already know about your plan to knock down all of the caves, so I will just escort myself out,” said the bear. The mayor said nothing.

The bear needed to find a lawyer. All of these innocent people would have to move away from this divine venue to a cheap and old forest. The bear put up a poster, titled: “ Lawyer needed! Meet in front of the town hall tomorrow at 10,”. The bear waited at the town hall at ten o’clock, no one had come for hours. The bear gave up and went to his rock.

He knew that his life and everyone else’s would be destroyed. New Year’s Day was 48 hours away. The bear sat up from his rock and went for his last walk in the forest, the calming waterfall, the colourful birds, the tall and green trees and the pleasant breeze. He would have to leave this place. The bear sat down and a small tear drop came out of his eye, at first it was one but then the bear just broke, he weeped and weeped for ten minutes. It was all over. At least that’s what the bear thought.

A fox sat down next to the bear and asked “What’s wrong?”. “The forest and all the caves will be knocked down, and we will all have to move to a different forest,” replied the bear. “Wait, are you the bear that put up that poster asking for a lawyer?” Asked the fox. The bear nodded. “Well I just happen to be a lawyer!”. The bear stood up and the fox ran off to town hall. The two animals ran into the mayor's office and took him to court. “What’s going on?” Said the Mayor. “We are taking you to court to plead our case,” replied the fox. “What case?” Asked the Mayor. “You can’t blow up all the caves and knock down the forest!” Said the bear. “ Oh, this again,” said the Mayor.

The case went on for 6 hours until the judge said that the forest would not be knocked down and the stadium would not be built. The mayor threw a fit! He screamed and he yelled, he even took his shoe off and threw it at the judge. At this point the mayor had nothing to lose. The mayor soon after was voted out and lost his role as the mayor.

Two weeks later the role of mayor was given to the bear in the election for saving the forest. The bear then upgraded everyone’s caves and homes, including his own. He even gave everyone their own rock. He added a shop in a place where nothing had to be knocked down. The bear sat down on his mossy rock and watched the waterfall, he listened to the bird’s chirping, he observed the tall and green trees and he felt the smooth and gentle breeze. He also became an award winning author after he finished his book on ethics! He became friends with the fox and found a wife. They had 3 children. This was everything the bear had ever dreamed of.

                                                                         The end.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
29 Reviews


Points: 136
Reviews: 29

Donate
Stickied -- Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:37 am
farq4d wrote a review...



hey there ! first off, welcome to YWS. i know you only just joined today, but I hope you are enjoying the site so far. it's a great community that I've been enjoying immensely, and I hope you do too.

that being said, I'm just dropping by for a quick review of your short story :)

first of all, I really enjoyed reading your story. i wasn't quite sure what to expect from the title. the story was about a bear who enjoys to write. he leaves his comfortable cave to go to the mayor's office to get a permit so that he can renovate his home, and that's when he uncovers a plot by the mayor to destroy his home and the home of other forest animals all for what-- to build a stadium!? i sort of laughed at this part because it reminded me of memes I've seen on tiktok where someone will pan a video of a beautiful landscape in a national park and say, "Wouldn't this be so much better with a Walmart here?" that's essentially the vibe I got, so I thought it was really cool that your story covers the importance of preserving these areas because that's where wildlife lives.

one thing I would recommend for improvement would be the way you format your dialogue! as a general rule for english, usually whenever there is a new speaker, there's a new paragraph for the lines that the new speaker says.

for example, here I reformatted your fourth paragraph using those rules:

"Won't everyone have nowhere to live if we blow up all the caves?" said a member of the council.

"We'll move them all to a different forest," said the Mayor. "Remember this is all for the money we are going to get when we build the new stadium, ok I have someone outside waiting for a permit," added the Mayor.

The bear was shocked, he froze, his chin dropped and he held his breath. He had heart everything.


So here, for each time there is a new thing said by a new person, or a new action, it gets it's own paragraph. this rule is to basically make it easier for the reader to tell who is talking and who is doing what! But I was still able to tell who was saying what in your story because of your excellent use of dialogue tags.

Overall, thanks so much for sharing your story here and keep writing!!




Tambo says...


Thank you so much for taking time to write this review!
I am enjoying this site a lot, I think it%u2019s great. I will defiantly implement those rules into my writing for future refrance. This review defiantly put a smile on my face today. I look forward to continue using this site. Hope you have an amazing day!



User avatar


Points: 175
Reviews: 2

Donate
Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:25 pm
WinterRadio wrote a review...



Hello! ^^

Before I write anything, I need to clarify something. I don't have much experience with reviewing other people's works. Nonetheless, I hope you find this little comment of mine useful.

The story was short but fun! Was the Mayor a human? If so, then it's a really nice concept: blending the animal world with our own. You can make it an ongoing theme.

One thing I would change, would be the title. I think it should be written in capital letters.
(No period at the end.)

For now, that's all I have to say.
Keep writing! Experiment and let your imagination flow. ~




Tambo says...


I changed the title, thanks for that :D



User avatar
6 Reviews


Points: 254
Reviews: 6

Donate
Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:56 am
SKZ4ever says...



Hey, such a cute story. Love a happy ending with friendship involved. Just remember to add a space once a new speaker come on but other than that, very good.




User avatar
12 Reviews


Points: 39
Reviews: 12

Donate

User avatar
12 Reviews


Points: 39
Reviews: 12

Donate
Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:21 am
Tambo says...



Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing tttttttttttttttt




User avatar
12 Reviews


Points: 39
Reviews: 12

Donate
Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:21 am
View Likes
Tambo says...



Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing tttttttttttttttt Testing tttttttttttttttt





I don't do time.
— Liberty