The Rings....Conclusion

by Taleof6kids

As the years passed, those rings became even more precious. Sometimes when a memory of my grandfather would fade, I would look and hold my rings, and that memory would somehow grow stronger again. There were many times, however, when I would be looking at one of my rings, and a memory of my grandfather would feel so real that it hurt when I realized it was only a memory. I would never see my grandfather again. Often tears would come flooding down my cheeks when that realization would sink into my heart and mind.

Word began to spread of my unique collection, and more and more people began to show an interest in my rings. One day I received a letter from a man in a far away land requesting a loan to his museum for one of my rings. He was especially interested in the simple silver ring with the yellow gems, and asked to place this treasure on display for four years in his museum. Four years in a museum was a long time, but I thought it might be a good way to share my love of the rings to others. And after all, it would be returned in four years. I agreed and tried to visit as much as my job would allow. I would often hear stories from strangers who saw my ring at the museum and marveled at its brilliance and rarity. At first I felt jealous and would want to bring the ring back home again. But as the years flew by, I became proud when hearing the stories from strangers, knowing that was my ring and it would be back home in my possession in just one more year.

Then came the phone call. A man had seen my ring at the museum, and was excitedly telling me how remarkable and beautiful my ring was when I began to sense an urgency in his voice. He went on to tell me about his own ring. He described it as silver with delicate a single yellow gem, and then explained that his ring and the one in the museum were formed by the same jeweler from another land; they were crafted to complement each other. He offered to pay a price, but admitted he did not have nearly enough to pay what the cost would be for such a treasure. As we talked on the phone, I looked over at my remaining five rings. I didn't know what to say at first and there was a long pause. "Where are you from?" I finally asked.

"I am from that land where the jeweler crafted the rings. I am his grandson."

It was then that I realized this man would keep very good care of my ring. He would cherish it as much as I did and as much as Grandfather had. I felt confident that Grandfather would agree with my decision to let this man have the ring and in a way, return it to its origin. We made an agreement that he could purchase the ring after the four years were complete with the museum. I asked if I could see my ring once more and for a picture of the two rings together; he willingly agreed.

That year, knowing my ring would be under the care of a new owner in a faraway place, was very difficult for me. Each time I looked at my other rings, all I kept thinking about was the one that I was giving to that man. It made me miss the ring even more. I was comforted, however, knowing that it would be taken care of correctly, and that it would give another person great joy.

And then, just when the fourth year was nearly gone and I would once again see my ring for a brief time, a friend of mine came to visit me. He had always shared my love for the rings, and he began talking about the wooden ring with the red gems. He asked if he could hold it. I watched as he carefully tried it on his ring finger and smiled at the perfect fit. I had to admit that it looked good on his finger, but there was no way I was letting go of another one of my rings. Allowing my little silver ring to be under another's care was difficult enough; this wooden ring was staying here. My friend seemed to sense my uneasiness, and he gently slid the ring off his finger and handed it back to me. That was a relief, but it didn't last long when he said, "That ring would be perfect for my wedding band." I had almost forgotten that he was getting married in a few months. "May I see it again?" he said reaching out for the ring. I selfishly wanted to deny him the privilege and put it back safely in the case, but for some unknown reason, I handed it back to him. He turned it over on the palm of his hand admiring the detailed work and stunning red gem. "You know my fiancé's favorite color is red?"

No, I didn't know, nor did I care. I was keeping this one. He handed me back my ring, and we began talking about his upcoming wedding. Very cunningly he turned the conversation back to the ring. "It would be perfect, you know. And it's not like it will be far away from you. I see you nearly every day!"

He made some good points; I glanced over at my rings. What would Grandfather think of me giving our cherished possessions away? I remembered how willing Grandfather was to share his rings with me, and how pleased he was to see me enjoy them so much. I thought of the man who would be taking my silver ring away in just a few months and how happy he was to be getting it. I got up and walked to the display case. I looked at them and thought of Grandfather. Then I reached for the wooden ring. I looked at it carefully, and rubbed my finger across the red gem and the bumpy mountain. A tear came from nowhere and landed on the ring. I was surprised to learn the tear came from me. I knew I was giving another one of my rings away.

At first, each time I gave a ring away, I felt like I was losing a part of Grandfather. Just the thought of giving away a ring would invoke those feelings, and here I was about to give away two of my most cherished and prized possessions in the whole world. Could I even live without them?

As I placed the wooden ring into the hand of my friend, a calm came over me. Grandfather would be proud. Our love for these rings was being passed on to others, and that's what I think he wanted most of all. If there comes a day when another ring, or even all of my rings, are given away, I would still have Grandfather's memories and he will still be very dear to me. Letting the rings go, as much as I will miss them and know it will hurt, also brings a sense of peace in knowing others will be enjoying them and cherishing them as much as Grandfather and I have treasured them.And who knows? Maybe my rings will only be the start to their own collection of rare and beautiful rings!And hopefully I will be able to share in loving and treasuring those rings as well.

Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:52 am

Hi Shikora here with a review!

What i like

When I saw you had posted this chapter i was so happy, because i have been reading your last three chapters and i think i did a review in them. Anyway I really like they way you started this chapter it was very hart warming. I just love the way you put so much emotion into these chapters. It just gives the reader the same feeling.

The plot

I really like how you have moved the plot along and ended this story in the perfect spot. Were we aren't wondering what is going to happen next. Though i have to say I'm upset that this story is done. I really liked reading your works.

Character development

In the last chapters I really like how you made us the reader connect with the people in this story. And when the Grandfather dies in the last chapter that was really upsetting. So you have found away the put the sadness into this chapter when the main character doesn't want to give away her rings.

Gosh this is just a wonderful story. Were it has been thought through properly and you no how you want to end it. So great work on this story it was one of the best I've read. I hope you have a great day/night

Your friend
Shikora

rosette wrote a review...

Hello there, Taleof6kids!
I hope you're doing great. :]

Note that I haven't read any previous parts to this story, so please read this review with a grain of salt. :p

I like the overall theme of this story. It's warm and heartfelt. Especially the first paragraph - I loved that part. The narrator doesn't want to give the rings away, because she feels as if then she'll be giving her grandfather away. Considering my own grandfather unexpectedly died over a year ago and I totally relate to how this speaker feels, this was a nostalgic read. <3

However, a few elements/pieces of the story stood out to me, so I wanted to touch on them.

For one, I do think rings are beautiful, but I've never actually seen a ring that filled me with joy and delight. Maybe it's a different story with these rings because there is something unique and special about them; however, I found the overall fact that the narrator wanted to share the rings with the world so they could all experience the sensations she felt was a bit... strange.

But then again, these rings aren't your typical jewelry rings. Because of that, it makes sense why a museum would want to showcase one. What doesn't make sense to make is why the narrator would so willing give that same ring away to someone she doesn't even know. They have a nice conversation on the phone, but I don't see that they met at any time.
I'm just wondering how she can automatically trust this guy? What if he was like, a con artist or something, and lying to her over the phone? Something about the whole situation wasn't realistic to me.

I found the second case of her giving the ring away kind of sweet. The only thing that made me wonder was the fact this ring was wooden. Pretty unique, for sure! Especially when it's being used for a wedding.

At first, each time I gave a ring away, I felt like I was losing a part of Grandfather.

Question: was this statement supposed to begin the second-to-last paragraph? The narrator had only given one ring away, so why would she say this?
Unless in the previous parts, she'd been giving rings away...??

One last thing I wanted to speak about! This story is definitely written in a narrative style. I almost felt it was too narrated. Like, we're just being told a summary of everything. And don't get me wrong, I like how you used that in this story! It works well, considering the theme and such. But you seem to be telling too much, instead of showing. Instead of "this happened, this happened; years passed and this happened" why not go into a bit more detail? I don't know anything about the narrator, besides the fact she was close to her grandfather and these rings - I don't even know her gender! (Apologies if I'm irritating you with my use of "her" and "she", by the way. I don't know why I automatically assumed it was a girl.) What's her friend like? What was her grandfather like?

I loved when you just stopped the summarizing and zoomed in on that scene of her friend at her house, trying the ring on. It was beautiful how she showed the narrator's emotions and reactions as she realized it was more beneficial to give the ring away than to keep it for herself.

Other than that, I truly did find this to be a sweet and sentimental story. Showing how the narrator changed and ended up being a different person at the end of it all was lovely.

Thanks for sharing this story, and I wish you the best of luck in your future works!
If you have any questions about this review, do let me know.

I'll see ya around. :]
~rosette <3

"It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small."
— Neil Armstrong