Suzi Edwards, Prolouge.

by TalaPaulwic

I submitted something, it was about the Grim reaper. These two aren't really directly connected except in the prologue. Gasp, this is!

Prologue.

My friend Grim.

I was first found by the grim reaper. It happened rather fast. I think it was because my sight was, colorless, yet I saw some spiritually lifting light. I think that the Grim reaper was coming for my mother. I don't know. I think I'll never fully understand what happened on that day.

I was six or seven.

I was playing hide and go seek with my mother. It was August 14th. It was a stormy day. This is why we were playing inside. I had hidden myself downstairs. There was a mirror that hung from the ceiling about four feet away from the wall. A deep violet purple curtain hung down from it and covered its sides, and it to the floor.

This mirror was across from our sliding glass door which lead into the backyard. The wallpaper was green, with white poka-dots. The two couches, and one arm chair had the same pattern.

At the time I was wearing a pink sweater on top of a pink T-shirt that said on it, "Mommy doesn't know I did it." I liked this shirt a lot. On my legs I wore plain blue jeans. My feet covered by bright pink running shoes.

I heard a song by The Beatles from upstairs. Then I heard walking. I giggled. "She'll never see me." Though I said it aloud, I made sure to whisper. I didn't want her to find me that easily. That would be plain silly. Even when I was that little.

"I see you little girl." Oh no! Was that mommy. No it was a man. He was whispering. I didn't hear the back door slide open. I did however hear the rain hit the glass door. I peeked my head out, risking being found, to see who it was. That's when things started getting odd. I saw a... ...shadow. And the hints of an outline of a man. It was blue. He looked at me.

I ducked back behind the curtain. Things had gotten all blurry in my sight. It was the color out of everything had just dripped away. It was all black and white. Then the two colors, black and white, had melted into each other. Then I saw my mom come down the stairs slowly. Well I didn't exactly see her.

I saw an incredibly dull amber light in the figure that I would know anywhere. My mom. The amber light was fading. A moment later while I was trying to ponder the shadow, someone pulled the curtan away. My mom smiled. "Come on out. I've found you." I giggled. I wrapped my arms around her. I shut my eyes, but I saw the amber light grow.

I opened my eyes. When I let go of her I turned back to the shadow. The outline had become a hardly visible man standing there. He was staring directly at me. Then he covered his eyes. Yet I still managed to make eye contact. I stared into him some more. He stumbled backwards.

He turned around and walked out the door. "What's wrong Suzi?" I turned back to my mother. I smiled and hugged her again. "Nothing, nothing at all." The color returned to the world. It was quite a relief. The colors were no longer blurred into each other. The amber light was gone and once more I saw my mom.

She had dull brown hair. On her face from her cheekbones, and across the bridge of her nose she had freckles. Her skin was kind of dark but not really tan. It was darkest around the freckles. She was wearing a dull gray, long sleeved shirt. She wore faded denim jeans. She pulled me away from her and looked me in the eyes. "What were you looking at?"

I knew I couldn't tell her about the man. She would freak. "My invisible friend Grim." She smiled at me. "When you get bigger you know grim will have to go away." I nodded. "Yes mommy. But for now can I have him?" She smiled showing her teeth. She nodded.

About three hours later dad returned from work. Before I could greet him mom whispered something in his ear. He then turned and smiled at me. "You have an invisible friend? That's great!" He wrapped his arms around me and lifted me in the air for a second.

Dad was a bulky man. Not overweight. Just had a wide build was all. He was wearing a brown T-Shirt, he had taken off his wet rain slicker, which was black. He also wore black jeans. It made me curious to think about how my whole family wore jeans, almost every day.

He put me down because I stopped breathing. I gasped for air. "Yeah, his name is Grim." "What an interesting name." From his tone it seemed that mom had already told him what my 'invisible friends' name was. I ran into the kitchen. He followed me. I tried to get onto the counter. He lifted me onto it. I swung my legs. "What's for dinner?"

I frowned. Then an hour later it was on my plate. After such a good day, I had to have steamed greens, and liver. I shivered at the thought. I still do actually. But anyways, desert was a triple layer chocolate cake, with raspberry filling. Naturally I had to eat all of my dinner. I sucked it down unhappily. I pretended it was cake. That didn't help, I wanted to wait a while before eating cake because of it.

I went to bed at nine. I was told the story of the boy who cried wolf by my mom. Then my dad came in and tucked me in super tight.

Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:56 pm

Hi! I'm Knight Hardy here on a mission to ensure that all works on YWS has at least two reviews. You will probably never see this but....Imma do this anyway.

First Impression: So this was a really fun little story. There were some really sweet moments and I feel like you did an excellent job of capturing the way that a six year old would view the world especially with a couple of extra little touches that I noticed which made this pretty amazing.

My friend Grim.

That seems like a super ambiguous little line that you've got right there. Its just doesn't seem like a great idea to be starting off with that.

And this one on the other hand would make for a much better and a lot more attention grabby opening paragraph. And I love the mystery that you try to convey through this part.

Okay the setting is established pretty well here.

Great description there again. You're doing a great job bringing us into this scene visually.

Uh oh...things are starting to happen.

Aww...that was a really sweet moment and it does a wonderful job at making the rest of this that much more powerful.

Well that was interesting.

Another pretty good description that you've got here.

Okay kind of a slightly generic ending for a prologue but the bit of mystery there at the center does do a decent job of getting readers interested. I feel like maybe the ending could be tailored just a bit to match that.

Overall: Overall this was done pretty well, I enjoyed reading it and I would definitely have read on after this point to find out what happens next. So pretty solid prologue except that little thing I mentioned at the ending.

MissMiaFacinelli wrote a review...

OK.
So, I was a little apprehensive when I clicked on this link. I was pleasantly surprised by the first few paragraphs, but from then on I lost interest a little, and carried on reading mechanically.
The reason I lost interest was the description! Too much of it, almost like a list!
I wasn't sure how what Suzi was wearing was relevant to the story, or what the couches looked like, and I was confused about the hanging mirror.
I was even more confused by the description of her mother fading and becoming an amber light - wouldn't Suzi be scared?? Was her motehr being taken away? if so, why wasn't she scared? Why would she LET Suzi be friend's with Grim?
Also, it's a little long for a prologue - usually they are an introduction. This is more like a first chapter.

All in all, a little confusing. Straighten out those points, and you'll have a gripping first chapter.

Keep writing,

Pgsgirl

Everything has a consequence and every consequence leads to death.
— kattee