z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

St Therese's Rose

by Swottielottie


You appeared after evening Mass
and pressed a little flower into my hand
told me it fell from the sky
while you were praying to St Therese
but you must have plucked it yourself
because it rotted away on your mantelpiece
and you never spoke of heavenly flowers again


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar


Points: 134
Reviews: 3

Donate
Sun May 16, 2021 12:35 pm
xsummermiax wrote a review...



i love this.I dont know why but it makes me happy and almost proud.I think it is amazing.You should never be nervous as if someone judges you then they are WRONG.Never doubt yourself and keep posting:)
it is sweet and nicely put together,one thing i would say is a tiny bit more discritive detail and it'll be great!




User avatar
66 Reviews


Points: 4785
Reviews: 66

Donate
Fri May 14, 2021 3:53 pm
View Likes
aooborromeo wrote a review...



Hello! My name is Via and I'm here for a review! So let's get started.

POSITIVES:

First and foremost, I love poetry that's simple, sweet, and to the point. I'm a firm believer of less is more. Like what @LizzyTyler said, your poem is very nicely structured. I'm highly impressed by how well it flowed together. Everything was so smooth. I can tell you really must be good at editing things down.

Your theme and mood are well established. Almost everything here supports that theme and mood to form one cohesive piece.

Rhythm wise, it mostly stayed on beat. I loved the metaphor and imagery using the rose and the flowers. I grew up Catholic, so this resonates well with me. THANK YOU for fixing auto capitalization. It's a pain for all poets to deal with it, but sadly it happens. Even I forget to fix it sometimes.

My favorite line was this:

but you must have plucked it yourself
because it rotted away on your mantelpiece


CRITIQUES:

There really isn't much to say here. I noticed that you probably took a more stylistic approach by leaving out all punctuation. While I'm all for abandoning grammar for poetry, I think it would do this poem some good to add periods and commas. I think it might add emphasis to some points and encourage a better rhythm.

Finally the final line
and you never spoke of heavenly flowers again


needed something. I think it either should be expanded with another line or two or just rewritten. It too me isn't as good as the other lines and I think it could be made even better with some brainstorming and experimentation.

Overall, wonderful poem! Keep writing!

PS: Welcome back to Young Writer's Society. Come check out my work if you want.






Thank you so much, that's very useful feedback! I look forward to checking out your work. :)



User avatar


Points: 0
Reviews: 0

Donate
Fri May 14, 2021 12:39 pm
View Likes
stacymevoli says...



I love it. It's simple by meaningful. <3




User avatar
60 Reviews


Points: 1763
Reviews: 60

Donate
Thu May 13, 2021 11:09 pm
View Likes
LizzyTyler wrote a review...



Good Morning/Evening/Night!

First, I would like to welcome you back. I’m too new to have known you, but welcome back nonetheless.

Now, time for my actual review. So, to begin, I really loved you poem. It was nicely structured, with a smooth flow. I am not sure how to pronounce St. Therese, so I am not sure if it rhymes with any of the words. If it doesn’t, I would suggest rhyming some of the words, but that’s just my personal preference.

Other than that, I loved your poem, and hope to see more of your work around!

Happy writing!
-Lizzy





Knowledge is power.
— Francis Bacon