Speech

by BlueSunset

I have to make a speech

It's gonna be the worst

I have to make a speech

and it is just the first

* * *

I don't know what to do

I don't know what to say

I don't know what to do

but I have to obey

* * *

Then the next day

my teacher said

That if I wanted to,

I could watch instead.

Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:48 pm
elwarren wrote a review...

I really like this poem :) very relatable to anyone who gets anxious about public speaking, so well done with that! I really like the repetition of the first and third line of the second stanza Is it that the "I don't know what to do" is be the internal monologue of the speaker, as the anxiety increases?

Keep up the good work!

El x

Reet3103 wrote a review...

Hey.

The second stanza, first and third line, repetition DID NOT work here. Umm, I don't know if I should take this as a serious poem or a simple kiddie one. Both ways, it was cute. It was short but not crappy, good job on that.

Sorry, I pointed out a flaw straight away :p Anyways, why don't you extend it, and instead of the teacher telling the kid to watch, let him/her speak out and narrate the experience.

It was vague but, did you mean to highlight stage fright or something? Or just a kid's emotions? Or day to day life? Or maybe a normal scene?

Keep writing and stay blessed.

xoxo

Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:48 am
Mew2x wrote a review...

The poem is actually good. I enjoy reading it but there is something wrong in the last line. Probably other than:

"I could watch instead"

Its suppose to be:

"I should have watch instead"

Its because it sounded on the end that the teacher reject or change the teacher's mind not to make the persona do the speech. I mean, let the persona choose to do the speech or watch the speech. So the persona is making a choice.

Sometimes, its not easy to do a speech cause you have to think of what you are going to say, what to do to make people impress and all that stuff.

Overall, the poem is good :)

BlueSunset says...

The only reason why I didn't do that is because the syllables woudn't match the resst of the stanza.

Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:23 am
theblueteacup says...

I couldn't help myself but to fall into your words; with only the title I felt drawn to them. Maybe a bit longer with more details in the future, however I see great things to come. I've never been a great one for poetry so for my own purposes I can only imagine what it's like to write this. Best of wishes, cheers!

Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:05 am
EternalRain wrote a review...

Hi!

I'm here for a quick review.

So, just a few nitpicks to start this off:

and it is just the first

Hmm... I think you meant 'and it is just one of the first' maybe? Or change it so something else; it doesn't make sense how it is now. Also, you need a period at the end of this line.

but I have to obey

Period at the end.

Okay, so the main thing I would like to tell you is more emotion. Mostly, I would like to see more of this emotion in your second stanza. Make us feel worried, scared, or pity this poor person who has to do a speech.

Other than that, I thought it was a very nice poem! :D

~ EternalRain

PS - I feel like this would make a good rap. :P

BlueSunset says...

I wanted this poem to be quick and simple, but thanks for the suggestions!

Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:29 am

Hmm...I can't leave too long of a review, since the poem is so short. I'll try my best.
It's sweet and simple. Often times I think of poetry like this type of philosophical remark to the world, and this is a very simple poem. Not really my thing, but it's cute. Is this based on real-life experiences?
You have a nice, simple style. Keep on writing!

BlueSunset says...

Thank you! And no, this is not based on a real life experience. I guess it could, and it would make sense for me. :)

The chains of habits are too light to be felt until they are too heavy to be broken.
— Warren Buffet