12+

An Unusual Meeting

by SugarApple

I sat facing the old man, tapping my pen on the wooden table to get his attention. He turned his gaze from the abstract painting on the wall. The man had graying hair, but his face seemed quite youthful. His green eyes were piercing, almost making me want to look away, but this was my first case: I had to do this well.

I poised the pen above a sheet of paper, and turned on the recorder. Dust came off on my finger, but I shook it off, and cleared my throat.

“Mister Maurice Fergetter, you have been accused with the kidnapping of Ash Warner. What do you have to say about this?”, I asked, cringing at how squeaky my voice came out.

“I say this: listen, rookie.?”, he replied with a nasty sneer. “May I request a real cop?”

I tried to ignore his words, but they were more piercing than his gaze. I swallowed whatever I may have said in emotion, and continued.

“He went missing almost directly after he came to your house. This was reported by Mrs. Florence Warner. Ash was supposed to come home at 6:00, when he never did, Mrs.Warner called the police.”, I said confidently.

Maurice couldn’t argue with facts, right? I had a bunch of them here, bullet-pointed on this sheet of paper, so I would be able to prove him guilty within minutes. I could see everything in my mind. Smirking at him, I thought, If all cases were this easy, I would have no trouble getting higher in rank.

I could see his arrogant facade start to disintegrate, but I must admit he put on a good show trying to maintain it.

“Is she okay? Mrs.Warner, I mean? I’ll answer your questions after you tell me that.”, he said, his face looking strained but at the same time, somehow expressionless.

Feeling a little sorry for him, I put my fact sheet aside and reached into my pocket for my phone. I quickly unlocked it with the touch of my finger and went to Messages. I went to the ones from Sergeant Derrick.

“I’ll tell you, but please state where you were during that time.”

Maurice hesitated for a second, but thought the better of it, and started. I could see the dark circles under his eyes better now, along with the unshaved grey stubble on his face.

“Florence Warner was at a time Florence Fergetter, my dearest daughter.”

That explained why he seemed so shaken up when I had mentioned her name.I wondered if he knew that she was the one who reported him as a probable suspect. If he did, it explained why he seemed troubled.

“I loved her like anything, especially after my wife died. I felt a greater responsibility towards taking care of her after that. I homeschooled her, being a former professor, and she thrived. Soon, she became…”

He paused for a second, and I felt like I could see tears, pushed back. Probably just my imagination.

“Of course, she became wild, cooped up. She demanded to go to college, and I couldn’t stop her. I was afraid, but I let her.”

I knew I wasn’t dreaming when I started to see beads of sweat forming on his forehead.

“She went to college...and fell in love, as most people do. Of course, with a terrible boy.”

“Ash Warner.”

Maurice looked at me, and I nodded for him to continue. He mopped his sweat with a handkerchief and went on.

“Ash Warner. She came home with him one day, and asked for my blessings for their marriage. Here is where you must understand…”

“Smith. Meena Smith.”

“Yes, Meena. You must understand this from my point of view here, he said.”

I could tell right away that this was the interesting part. The part that could either make or break this case. I put my phone on the table and picked up my pen. Maurice saw this, but seemed indifferent about it, or just too stressed out to care.

“The boy didn’t have much of a good history. His parents had both served time, and he had been abandoned at the age of 13 on a highway. After that he had shifted from foster home to foster home. When Ash came in, I just felt like he would be such a negative influence on her. He wore a sweatshirt over ripped jeans, his long,dirty blonde hair covering his face. Would anyone come like that to meet their soon-to-be father-in-law?”

Maurice seemed to be in more of a rage now, as if he were reliving the moment.

“He was nonchalant about the whole matter, with dear Florence doing most of the talking. If he didn’t make an effort now, what effort would he make lifelong with my daughter. After a few minutes, I couldn’t stand it, and told him to get out.”

Maurice scooted to the edge of the chair, and reached for the glass of water sitting there. He downed the water in one go, put it back, and continued,

“Florence was angry, but I made it up with her. I had raised her to be sharp and witty, so surely she had used her mind as well as her heart in selecting her lover, is what I had thought at the time. After their wedding, I visited them a couple of times. That abominable man! He was just using her for housework, and treated her like a labourer, with the excuse that she was his wife! I just couldn’t stand it any longer!”

His eyebrows were almost touching, his mouth etched into a scary frown.

“I had to teach this boy a lesson. I invited him to my house and he came. I talked to him about poor Florence, and he laughed it off, saying that she was an amazing housewife, and wrecked my house, the wretch! Ash didn’t even have compunction for his crimes against his own wife!”

“I caught him by the collar and shoved him into the basement and locked the door. I went to sleep, and then you called me here.”

“All because of…”

“Yes! He’s still there.”“If you had problems, you could have called the cops!”

Maurice seemed taken aback, and didn’t respond.

“Couldn’t you think about Florence? She is so worried for him!”

“I didn’t anticipate her worry. He was terrible to her.”

I exhaled sharply, frustrated. I picked up the phone and dialed the Sergeant.

“Sir, I’ve gotten him to confess. He says Ash is in the basement of his house. I’ll make a detailed report for you, but it seems like there are two crimes here, and Mister Fergetter may not be the cause of both.”, I said, a little happy, but a little disgusted as well.

“Good.”, Sergeant replied, before cutting the call.

I sighed. That had been a pretty easy case, but strange. It probably wasn’t the strangest crime though.

I set the phone down and glanced at Maurice. He was rocking back and forth, murmuring to himself, and frankly, I was a bit worried about him. Also about Florence. She had seemed very troubled at the police station, and they had taken her into custody after she showed signs of trauma. Florence was a pretty, and beautiful girl, unlike her father, but they both were probably very worried right now.

Suddenly, my phone buzzed, and Maurice fell off the chair, wheezing, and lay on the ground. My eyes grew wide, and I answered the call but rushed to him and felt for his pulse.

“Mrs.Florence Warner is in the hospital. While no one was watching, she tried to…”

I swallowed. His pulse was faint.

“She’s in a coma, but she has suffered many injuries, and probably many stressful experiences, so we don’t know if she will recover well, if at all.”

A tear slid down my cheek.

“Whoever you are, tell the hospital to send an ambulance to 208 Drake Complex. Mr. Maurice Fergetter is unresponsive.”

Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:00 am
inktopus wrote a review...

Hello SugarApple! Storm's here for a review, so let's jump right into it.

Your descriptions here seems a bit flat. Don't just tell us what things look like; get into it. Integrate the descriptions into your writing and make them come alive. Just get into more detail with these descriptions.

I have two things to mention here. First, your punctuation for your dialogue is all screwy. It's like that for a lot of it, so I'd recommend you fix that. Second, 'he replied with a nasty sneer' is very wordy. I would just go with 'he sneered nastily.'

Most of your issues were throughout the entire piece, so I will focus on what they were as a whole, rather than where they were.

1) You told a lot rather than showing. Mostly telling the audience what a character is thinking or feeling. Use body language and word choice to describe how your characters think and feel. It's much more engaging for the reader this way.

2) I think your weird plot twist(?) at the end wasn't necessary. I, personally, was a little confused by it. What was the point of making both Florence and Maurice need a hospital? Was there a reason? If not, take it out, you don't need it. If so, make it more evident in the story.

Overall, this wasn't bad at all. I think a cool idea would be to change the pov from Meena to Maurice. Meena didn't seem like a very important character, so having the story being from his perspective may add interest. You had some weird punctuation going on with your quotes. I would love to see a revamped version of this. You would have a lot of work to do, but I don't think it would be very hard to get this looking really good.

If you have any questions feel free to pm me or reply to this review.

~Storm

Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:23 am
Lauren2010 wrote a review...

Hi SugarApple!

Woah, what a bunch of twists there at the end! There's so much good going on in this story. You have a great build of tension and intrigue, plus a main character who has something to prove (that she's capable of being a great detective) and familial drama. That's the basis of a solid story.

The thing I thought about most as I read this was that this piece doesn't feel so much like a solid story as it does a part or a scene of a larger story. Not novel-long, but it just feels like there's a lot more story here to be uncovered.

For example, Meena is our main character though she mostly works as a filter for the story being told by Maurice. This isn't an unusual thing to do in fiction, but as I said earlier: Meena is a character with something to prove. She needs to solve this case to show that she can do this job, but then the case comes together really easily without her having to do a lot of work. I think you could really amp up the tension in the story by focusing a little more on Meena's desire in relation to the story about Maurice locking his son-in-law in his basement.

You also have this absolutely wonderful set-up of a father who just wants what is best for his daughter (and genuinely seems to be a trying to be a good dad, not someone who is trying to unfairly control his daughter) and winds up in this scenario where he locks his son-in-law in his basement and then doesn't know what to do next. He knows he's messed up (even if Ash is physically safe, his daughter surely won't be happy to hear about it; I'm sure Maurice is so afraid he'll lose his relationship with his daughter that means so much to him) but he doesn't know how to get out of this situation and before he can figure it out he's being brought into the police station! There are so many great elements at play here.

My biggest suggestion would be to slow things down, and consider writing this story with multiple scenes. You already have the hints of potential scenes from what we've been told so far:
--At some point, Florence had to report her husband missing so you could write a scene where Meena takes her statement at the police station
--Someone had to go arrest Maurice at the house, this could be Meena (or there could be a scene where Meena is watching him being brought into the police station before she sits down to question him)
--Time passed between Florence reported her missing husband and when Maurice was brought in. What happened then? Did Meena do any investigative work? Or was it pretty clear that Maurice was a major suspect?

And those are just if you want to keep everything from Meena's point of view. You also have a lot of options if you decided to make this a multiple perspective story (which of course is entirely up to you, and just an idea!) and show us Maurice's perspective on the incidents. I guess, though, that depends on if you want to tell the story of Meena solving her first big case or the story of Maurice kidnapping his son-in-law. Which would make this a different story, but it would also be a good story! Basically, you just have a lot of really exciting options for where this story could go, even if you keep the idea of it mostly the same as it is now.

The only major questions I had were about the end of the story. I understand Maurice is having a heart attack, which would make sense considering he somewhat-accidentally kidnapped his son-in-law and has been under extreme stress because of it. What I'm not sure about is what Florence did? Did she attempt to kill herself? Or did she try and go out to find her husband and had some sort of accident? I'm just not sure where her injuries came from, or what she tried to do when no one was looking. It feels a bit melodramatic for her to try to kill herself, but I do understand that having her in the hospital makes Meena asking for an ambulance at the end make sense. But it does need some clearing up.

Otherwise, this was such a lovely read! You definitely have a talent for building a plot, so I hope you'll keep working on this story. It has a lot of potential.

--Lauren

Atticus wrote a review...

Hey SugarApple,
Welcome to YWS! I'm excited to review your work and hopefully work with you to help improve it. That said, remember that all of these pointers are suggestions. Don't feel obligated to include any of them in your story if you think they are not helpful or that you have a better way to improve it. That said, let's jump in:
1) "“I say this: listen, rookie.?”, " One of those fragments needs to go, and I would recommend saying "Listen, rookie," instead of "I say this," so that Mr. Maurice Fergetter will come across as more intimidating and aggressive.
2) "I swallowed whatever I may have said in emotion," I would simply say "I swallowed my retort", just for clarity's sake.
3) "Ash was supposed to come home at 6:00, " There should be a semi-colon after 6:00 to separate it more from the rest of the sentence, or you could separate this from the other two clauses after it.
4) "Maurice seemed to be in more of a rage now, as if he were reliving the moment." This would be apparent to a detective, so I would restate this more confidently. One possible way would be to say "Maurice was becoming angry now, as if he were reliving the moment."
5) "what effort would he make lifelong with my daughter." There should be a question mark instead of a period after daughter

PLOT NOTES-
~The general plot flowed very well
~ You rushed the ending just a little bit
~ How did Maurice find out about Florence's hospitalization?
~ I would describe both of their collapses a little more thoroughly
~ Why didn't Florence investigate herself first before calling the cops?
~ Wouldn't the policemen have searched the house if they believe Maurice had kidnapped someone, and then wouldn't they have found Ash?
~ Maurice's transition from a scruffy kidnapper to an indignant father happened a little too quickly
~ Overall great job with the plot
~ Character descriptions were well done; the reader could clearly understand the characters' personalities

Best wishes,
MJ

SugarApple says...

Thanks so much for the review! I really didn't expect to find one here, so quickly, it's quite amazing. Anyway, I am happy, since it's not every day you get quite an expert (*nudge*) to review your work. Sorry I can't answer many questions properly, but the reason everything is rushed is because I had to fit it within a double-sided page, but I will try to fix as many things as possible ASAP!

Atticus says...

Glad it was helpful!

Best wishes,
MJ

brooklyn193 says...

Hello fellow writer,

I am fairly new to this website so I'm no expert. Your story was amazing! It had lots of detail and really caught me. However, the ending took me a little off guard. Throughout the whole story you seemed to not take it very slow and steady. Towards the end I felt as if you just rushed the information.

SugarApple says...

I'm pretty new too! (*high-fives*) The ending was supposed to be that way, I was trying to 'distract' the reader with random comments, but I hope the ending wasn't too sudden.

On some days, my will to write disappears faster than a donut at a police station.
— Arcticus