12+

Glowpeak Academy- Chapter Four

by SubSubLibrarian

Detective Marco Nunez sat in conference room #2 of Richard C. Grant Middle School, sipping a cup of coffee. He had come up from the UN to investigate the previous day's lockdown. The culprit had not been caught, but there had been a zombie sighting nearby, so there were some suspicions attached to the lockdown. The Flesheater Defense Division had sent him to resolve what had the possibility of being an explosive catastrophe.

Nunez had been sitting in the conference room for half of an hour, waiting for someone to make time to see him. His boredom was gradually intensifying. He had not wanted to come on this call. He'd been in the Flesheater Investigative Services for two months and had been called three times already to perform this exact task. The story was always the same: no one else had reported seeing anything and he'd had to come up with a theory for why the lock down had occurred. Either no one had seen anything, or no one wanted to say they'd seen a zombie. Luckily all the schools had been in New York, so he hadn't been forced to make a business trip out of it or to spend any extra time off his own investigating. If all the FIS did was check out school lockdowns, he wasn't really sure he wanted to be a detective anymore.

Nunez had almost drifted off to sleep when the door opened and three people entered the room. One of the people was a man in his thirties who Nunez recognized from the office. Detective Dan Portman, as a more experienced officer, worked in the higher office of the FIS. In about 3-5 years Numbers could expect a promotion into the higher office, where they investigated all sorts of interesting phenomena. That's why Nunez had joined. But he was no longer sure he was willing to stick it out that long before transferring into the higher office.

Nunez stood and shook his colleague's hand. Then, shaking the hands of the other two individuals, introduced himself as Detective Nunez, the detective assigned to the case. The principal and vice principal introduce themselves and proposed that they get down to business, because they were quite busy.

After a nod from Portman Detective Nunez took the lead in the conversation.

“I have the file you sent me,” he said. “Since we have the basic facts of the case already, I'll be asking you a couple of questions. First of all, did any of the staff see the subject?”

“Not that we know of,”said the principal. “No one has reported anything.”

Nunez nodded. “Let us know if anything comes in. Do you have any leads whatsoever? Any evidence that suggests anything about the subject?”

The principal and vice principal exchanged an exasperated look.

“We got a call this morning,” said the principal, turning back to Nunez and Portman. “From a concerned parent. She suggested a high school student might be involved. It seems her kids came home and told her they'd seen a zombie at the lockdown. She thought it must have been some sort of prank.”

“It's possible,” said Nunez.

Both principals looked doubtful.

“Well,” Portman said. “It's the only lead we've got at the moment, so we might as well investigate it.”

The principal's excused themselves to attend to other important matters and the detectives started in the conference room for a while, determining the best course of action. The school secretary brought them the information related to the telephone phone call.

“Feel free to look through the files,” she told them, smiling widely.

Detective Portman smiled back, waiting for her to leave the room and closed the door. Then he turned to Nunez. His smile had disappeared.

“Sorry for all the school cases, Nunez,” he said. “Coming here takes me back to my rookie years. They're a boring couple of years, no doubt about it.”

Nunez started at him. He thought they'd probably given him the boring cases because he was a rookie, but that didn't account for Portman's presence. Portman nodded.

“You're probably wondering why I'm here. To be honest, this sort of thing doesn't usually happen.”

“Do you mean school lockdowns being investigated by the UN, or a higher officer coming to assist a rookie on his case?” asked Nunez.

“Both,” said Portman.

“It doesn't seem very unusual. This is my third lockdown case in two months,” said Nunez.

“That's the problem,” said Portman. “When the first lockdown case came along, we passed it onto the rookies. We thought it was the perfect case for you guys, and perfect timing too. You had just joined. First lockdown case for years. Nothing odd about that. That's generally how it's been. The second one came along. Passed it on, wondered if it was a little odd, but it could have just been a coincidence.

“Then the fourth one came along and we sent it down the chain very apprehensively. I did some research. It turns out, before a couple of months ago there had only been three school lockdowns investigated by our office at all. It had been doubled in less than two months. I decided to come down and check it out.”

“You mean this isn't all we do at the FIS?” asked Nunez.

“Usually, no,” said Portman.

Nunez grinned. “Thank goodness for that.”

Both men stood to leave.

“I suppose we should check up on that call, then. It seems pretty likely that those kids saw the zombie. We got a report from a woman across the street that she saw one that day. Maybe we should talk to her first.”

“We might as well,” said Nunez. “ Then we can all the kids’ teacher if she saw anything, assuming they were in class.”

“Who was it that placed the call?” asked Portman.

“It says in the file it was the mother of the kids. A Mrs. Natalie Brooks. Do you think we should talk to her too?”

“We should interview her if we want to talk to her kids. We'll need permission from her anyway.”

“It would probably be a good idea then,” said Nunez. “Where does it zombie sighter live? I'll drive.”

They walked out of the school to a navy blue Jeep. Nunez drove to the nearby flat.

“1207 Schofield Street, you said?” asked Nunez.

“Yep. A woman named Melanie Peters. She used to work for the location department with her husband, Andrew. You might know him. They went to school with me. She's at home right now. She just had a baby,” Portman smiled reminiscently.

“Flesheater location? Must know what a zombie looks like then. No high schooler would fool her.”

“Not by a long ways,” Portman chuckled. “It's that next flat on the left.”

They pulled up to the house and got out of the car. The middle aged woman who met them at the door welcomed them into the house with a finger to her lips. The baby was sleeping. She offered them cookies and milk, which they graciously accepted. They made some small talk about the baby and about Portman's daughter, who would be graduating from school in a couple of years. Nunez introduced himself and talked a little about his wife. When they were done eating cookies the detectives turned the conversation to serious matters.

“It was definitely a zombie. I got a pretty good look at it. I would have done something, but I didn't know if there were any more and I had to care for my daughter. There may have been more in the area, but there was at least one. I can't say much more than that. It looked like an ordinary zombie. Obviously an adult. It was walking away from the school when I saw it and it had come from that general direction.”

They thanked her for the information and the cookies, then left. Next was Mrs. Natalie Brooks, who lived a few streets away on Schoffer's Lane.

“What was that number again?” asked Nunez.

“1207,” said Portman, reading carefully. “It's practically the same address. It might not have been so odd if the streets weren't so close together. The names are kind of weird too. This must have been an old immigration ghetto. They're all over New York.”

Nunez agreed as he pulled up to the curb outside flat 1207 of Schoffer's Lane. The woman who opened the door was not quite young, but she wasn't quite old either and was still beautiful. A little girl was running around behind her, singing nonsense words loudly. The woman turned around for a moment to shush the child, to no avail. She turned back to the men on her doorstep and smiled.

“I'm sorry,” the woman said. “She's been hyper today. Did you want something?”

Detective Nunez stepped forward. “You're Mrs. Natalie Brooks?”

The woman nodded. “And you are?”

Nunez took out his badge. “Detective Marco Nunez. This is Detective Portman,” He said pointing first to himself and then to his companion.

“We're investigating the lockdown," said Portman. "We heard about your call and we've got a few questions."

She pursed her lips and seemed uncomfortable. "I didn't know detectives got involved in trivial things like this."

"Zombies don't sound trivial to me," said Nunez.

The woman didn't crack a smile. She stepped aside and motioned for them to come in. They were directed into a large living room with a few bookshelves full of pictures. There was a family picture on the wall.

"Are these the kids who said they saw a zombie?" asked Nunez pointing to two brown haired children who both looked about middle school age.

The woman nodded. "The twins. Charles and Veronica."

"What did they tell you?"

Natalie took a deep breath. "My daughter said they saw a zombie during the lockdown yesterday. She insisted it was real and not just a kid wearing a mask. Charles said the same. They're usually honest. We've brought them up that way, my husband and me. But this... I don't know. Zombies aren't real. There only explanation is that they were mistaken."

Nunez took a step towards her. "Mrs. Brooks, would it be alright if we interviewed your children? You know, just so we can get a clearer picture of what's going on here."

Mrs. Brooks nodded. "Of course. It must have been a high schooler trying to scare the younger students, right?"

"It's possible," said Portman.

"Well, more possible than zombies," Mrs. Brooks said.

"Do you think this incident is connected with the lockdown or maybe even the reason for the lockdown?" asked Nunez.

"I don't know what to think. It could be."

The little girl ran into the room at that moment and whispered into her mother's ear. Mrs. Brooks stood up.

"Excuse me," she said. "Judy has to go to the bathroom."

“That's okay,” said Nunez. “We should probably get going.”

Mrs. Brooks bid them goodbye at the door and they decided to go back to the school and question the Spanish teacher. But first they grabbed lunch at Burger King.

“So,” said Portman, opening a ketchup packet. “What do you think?”

“We've got a problem,” said Nunez. “We've got a big problem from the look of it. We didn't get any sure intel on the other lockdowns, but if they were results of zombie appearances, then we need to find out what that could mean. Why schools?”

“That is the question,” said Portman. “We thought maybe recruitment. You've got fresh eyes. What do you think?”

“It seems logical. I really couldn't say.”

“Which gives us another problem. We don't know. It could be anything, and there lies the impossible question. What should we do about it?”

“What can we do about it?”

“I don't know, Nunez,” admitted Portman, shrugging defeatedly. “I have no idea.”

niteowl says...

Hi again! Again, this is going to be more of a comment than a review.

1) This chapter felt rather long. I think Lana had a good point of there being some filler description/dialogue, so that could maybe be trimmed.

2) I'm not sure I've ever heard an American use the term "flat" to mean a place of residence. It's a British term for what we call apartments. Also, I've been picturing this area as more suburban, so the houses wouldn't be "flats".

3) Wait a minute...so the school called a lockdown but they don't know why there was a lockdown? Was there any sort of threat or weapon spotted or anything? A school wouldn't just put everyone into lockdown and cause a panic for funsies. Maybe the principal could explain a little more of why they thought there was a threat or a shooter. Presumably they have some sort of non-zombie reasoning for the lockdown.

Okay, that's it. Time to get into Chapter 6!

I probably just watch too much BBC. The suburb is very close to New York City, so I feel like it wouldn't really follow the general rules of suburbs. I will try to cut down on the unnecessary details, but I did have a reason for including a lot of it, so the situation would be easier to understand. Basically the reason for the lockdown was that someone called about a threat- Mrs. Peters- so maybe I should make that more obvious.

niteowl says...

Yeah it's not clear that she called the school. Also I'm guessing she told them she saw a shooter or something so it would be taken seriously.

yeah basically

Carlito wrote a review...

Hello hello! Here to bring this out of the green room for you! :D

This is an interesting take on a zombie novel, looking at it from the detective's point of view as they try to figure out exactly what is going on!

I think my biggest qualm with the chapter is that there is a lot of information and I'm not sure where exactly the chapter is moving forward. Lana provided a good summary of the chapter below. As a general rule of thumb you should be able to summarize the main point of a scene or chapter in 1-2 sentences. More than that, you probably have too much going on in the chapter or scene.

Think about what absolutely has to happen in order for the plot to work and for the plot to move forward. My guess, without having the context of the preceding or the following chapters is that the crucial moment in this chapter is that Nunez needs to investigate this alleged zombie sighting and figure out what is going on.

There's a lot of repetition and back and forth before that. I think the whole beginning part can be condensed way down - basically establish that Nunez is in charge of investigating this and he plans to talk to a few of the eye-witnesses today. I don't think you need all of the information about the other cases right now because to me that felt a little info-dumpy. The majority of the scene should be Nunez interviewing the witnesses. That should be super detailed, enough that the reader has enough information to start to draw their own conclusions about what's going on and what all of the evidence could mean. It should be pretty clinical - he's just trying to gather factual information, he doesn't need to give the other characters any of his ideas or opinions about the information just yet, he needs all of the information first. After he leaves then you can piece some of the evidence together in his thoughts about those interviews.

I think it's an interesting concept and you have a lot of interesting moving parts here. I think restructuring a little and really focusing on the high point of the chapter will help take it to the next level. Let me know if you have any questions or if there's something you'd like feedback about that I didn't mention! :D

Thanks for the review. When I wrote this, I felt that all of this information was necessary. Your review wasn't clear on what is unnecessary, so if you could just point out some examples, not all of it, of course, but some. So I can get a better idea of what I should do.

LanaOverland wrote a review...

Sup,

I'm gonna open up with a recap to make sure I have your details straight and to help you see what's getting across and what's not: Nunez is a new(ish) recruit of the anti-zombie government agency. I say anti-zombie government agency because I'm not entirely sure what they do, just that they're the guys to see in case you see a zombie. Zombies by the way are kind of global warming, Scientists agree that it's happening, and there are a few believers but for some reason a majority of the population isn't convinced. It might be because we're in a shelter city and they're just not convinced it will affect them? So Nunez and a veteran detective--whose normal job is not reacting to school lock downs? But I have no idea what the FIS does besides that--go to investigate the school, they learn (and this wasn't in the case file even though it's basically the only important detail) some kids saw one and nobody else. They decide to talk to the kids and find out that yes they saw it, probably (it wasn't any more confirmed after they left the school) but they have no idea what to do because apparently the FIS finding zombies is not something that happens a lot.

Sorry if that got sassy. I'm in a sassy mood. So onto my critique.

"He had come up from the UN to investigate the previous day's lockdown...the possibility of being an explosive catastrophe."----A little flat out, but alright. Setting the scene. I’m not at all versed in your story so forgive me if I didn’t expect zombies, but I’m into it.

"and had been called three times already to perform this exact task. "----You’re burying the lead is getting a little frustrating at this point. No offense, it’s just when I got to the “to preform this exact task” I had a visceral eye roll of get to the point. This is probably just a me thing, but it’s unnecessary to bury the lead on this. I know you’re a second from saying what he does.

"who Nunez recognized from the office."----Man they must have some crazy conversations around the water cooler down at FIS.

"Detective Dan Portman, as a more experienced officer, worked in the higher office of the FIS. In about 3-5 years Numbers could expect a promotion into the higher office, where they investigated all sorts of interesting phenomena. That's why Nunez had joined. But he was no longer sure he was willing to stick it out that long before transferring into the higher office." ----Okay…so I really want to hear about Portman when you say when you say “Oh, that’s Portman.” This is the set up, you say character walks in, their name is Dan, then you tell me about Dan. As a reader I expect it to happen that way, and when you don’t give me context for Dan I start to believe that his only characteristic is he has the job Nunez wants.

"In about 3-5 years Numbers could expect a promotion "----When autocorrect prevents you from getting that promotion.

"Then, shaking the hands of the other two individuals... because they were quite busy."----So here I’m wondering why you made me wait with Nunez just a second ago. I know that in the grand scheme of the piece you dedicated three paragraphs to Nunez being bored in a room, but without anything going on it feels kind of pointless. I don’t thinks it’s bad that he was waiting in a conference room, but you don’t need to isolate him to fill us in on the details of the case/lore. Think of it not as taking out the fact that Nunez had to wait, but the five minutes of footage where he was sitting in a room before the others arrive. As for the crucial information you could easily slip in the fact that his job feels mostly pointless in the dialogue between him and the principal. Have Dan walk in and ask if he’s been waiting long, have the narrator explain that Nunez is annoyed that this is another false alarm when he gets the file. By integrating it as part of the narrative you’ll have your readers be more invested in the characters and the action that’s going on, it will feel more natural, and I promise you you can do it without your readers getting confused. (P.S. I know I said a second ago that burying the lead, but there’s a difference between burying the lead two inches down and making the lead a journey)

"the subject"----So when Nunez uses the term “the subject” is that a euphemism (as to not admit that there’s an unbelievable thing) or is he saying it as a technical term? Ideally not saying what “the subject” is would be to build up tension for the reveal. We already know that its gonna be a zombo right? So what I want to know is if the principal would react to him saying “the subject.” Because the two characters are on very different experience levels with zombies and thus would have very different ways of referring to them (I guess I’m also making the assumption that the world doesn’t all know about zombies but in that case you’d expect them to just outright say it.) I guess what I’m trying to say is is that you need to think about how the characters would think about zombies. Are they scared of them? Is this just a day job? Are they protective of their students? Are they in denial? Whatever it is, apply that to their dialogue. The principal seems very nonchalant to the use of “the subject” and I wonder like what they’re thinking in this moment. They seem to be acting like this is a routine thing, but I gather that it’s not since they say later that they thought it was a prank and now there’s this official meeting. It doesn’t seem like we’re going to be spending a lot of time with the P and VP, but knowing how they react tells us a lot about our world.

“It's the only lead we've got at the moment, so we might as well investigate it.”----I hate to say this, but I’m writing this literally as I am reading it (which is why some of my facts are off and there’s a lot of assumptions), and I’m gonna have to repeat what I said about having Nunez sit in a room. The scene seems to be starting in the wrong place, and I know that because you set up a meeting to ask two questions. So in this case there’s really only one option: get rid of it. You can do this in a variety of ways. One, start at the first lead. You can just go right into the action and reveal all this stuff we learned in media res. Two, change the situation. What if instead of a meeting, the principals are walking him to the first “crime scene” (Like I said I’m writing as things come up, so I don’t exactly how this lead is going to be portrayed. My money’s on going to the kid’s house for an interview). Or maybe Nunez doesn’t know quite so much about the case (but that seems out of character). Or maybe the principals weren’t needed at all and Dan could have just explained this all. Regardless starting the scene here felt like jumping off the bus at every station. You get there you get off the bus and you wait for another bus.

"but that didn't account for Portman's presence"----Can you go into more detail on this. Nunez is clearly wondering about it so maybe he can tell us why it’s weird? (Me from the slightly less distant past: lol you literally lead right into this but my point still stands. As a reader I had no idea that it was weird. Which, yes, you're about to tell me, but it comes out of no where when you're reading it for the first time. The narrators responsibility is to make us ask those questions. We should feel that it's not normal before you ask the question.)

"Do you think we should talk to her too?” “We should interview her if we want to talk to her kids. We'll need permission from her anyway.”----We’ve asserted that this is the lead from the conversation with the principals. I know I’m not the advocate of the principal conversation, but I felt it was worth mentioning that you got that across perfectly. This also leads into my feeling about the next few lines which is, while your detectives may in fiction be figuring out what’s next, the audience doesn’t always need to hear every detail. If the scene has ended and you are going to a new location, it’s okay to end the scene and do a jump cut. It’s okay, in the instance where the audience wasn’t going to get any information about the world or the story from the narration of an action to just say flat out that it happened. I know the saying is “Show don’t tell” but sometimes telling is okay. Rule of thumb being that if you want it to give the reader an emotional response show as much as possible, but if it’s something the readers don’t need to be emotionally invested in then telling is just fine. For instance, here, because we know the lead is this woman you could just say-and you had this exact line right at the end of the principal conversation- the detectives started in the conference room for a while, determining the best course of action” then follow that up with “they were in the car on the way to detail detail detail because detail”

"They pulled up to the house and got out of the car. The middle aged woman who met them at the door welcomed them into the house with a finger to her lips. The baby was sleeping. She offered them cookies and milk, which they graciously accepted. They made some small talk about the baby and about Portman's daughter, who would be graduating from school in a couple of years. Nunez introduced himself and talked a little about his wife. When they were done eating cookies the detectives turned the conversation to serious matters."----This, however, would be a show moment. The woman’s givin out cookies! Is she afraid of them? Nervous as to what they might find? Happy someone’s taking them seriously? What is the motivation of the cookie, that is a serious question. What’s Portman’s daughter like? Did he bring it up to make the woman more comfortable? Is that a skill Nunez hasn’t picked up on yet, small talk to relax the victims?

"and was still beautiful"----beauty is relative. Is this Nunez thinking she’s beautiful? What does Nunez find beautiful? Does age preclude someone from being beautiful?

"Detective Nunez stepped forward. “You're Mrs. Natalie Brooks?”"----why did we see the other woman if this woman is clearly the one deserving of a closer look?

""It's possible," said Portman"----forgot Portman was there for a second.

"“That's okay,” said Nunez. “We should probably get going.”"----I thought we were interviewing the kids.

"Why schools?”----why not schools. They’re heavily populated, full of people not focusing, likely to be protected which would explain why you’re hearing about them.

Sorry if I was a bit indelicate in this critique, like I said I'm in a sassy mood. I was when I wrote the first comment and I was a little more aggressive by the end. To be perfectly honest, the first part was my favorite part, you seemed to have conceived this beginning that you wanted to have--this image of Nunez sitting alone in a conference room bored out of his mind. But as you went on you didn't really have an idea of where you were going, you weren't happy with where you started the scene but you didn't want to get rid of the background information or Nunez's boredom so you kept having to justify why you were starting here. I've been there numerous times, in fact I just got out of my writers block for practically the same reason. I used to write mystery--ironically I stopped when I started planning out my stories--and reading this felt very familiar. My suggestion would be to scan through what you have here and figure out where this story line ends. Pick out anything you want to keep--because what you have here brings up some interesting places for world building and character development, of which I outlined some of the places that I wanted to know more about--throw out characters you don't need and pay attention to your writers block because it may be telling you that you started in the wrong place.

-Happy Editing, Lana

Thanks for the review! Sassy reviews are honestly some of the most helpful. I actually did know where I was going when I wrote this chapter. I'm basically just showing what's going on behind the scenes. The detectives aren't the main characters, one of the kids who saw the zombie is. The earlier chapters kind of lead heavily into this one and the next one because there's a small climax in chapter five. It makes sense to me to show what's happening here, but that's in the context of the first chapters. I did have a reason for ending where I did and how I did, basically because the scene was no longer important. The earlier chapters do explain some of your questions, like why the first woman they interrogated was important and chapter five goes more into depth about the zombie thing. The investigation of the lock down is basically to find the person who caused it, but the FIS is investigating in order to confirm that it was a zombie, or if it was just a prank. They also want to find out how much the kids knew, but they were in school, so they waited to interview them last. Interview #1 confirmed the zombie, #2 got permission to interview the kids, and #3 occurs in the next chapter. Which I hope you will read and give me another review on, sassy or not.
Also I actually intend for my readers to make assumptions, so your review was really valuable.

I’ll marry the finest banana in the galaxy for you.
— Tuckster