Deflower You

by Willard

Flashback to Health class;
two years ago in the abyss.
It taught good lessons on how to
"Properly Stare At Ceilings".

Sleep in the heat
while Breathless is playing.
The quick cuts void of color
show that there's lack of depth
no matter what is done.

There is a strong stench
of body odor and abstract jazz,
the kind of mixture that works as a 
natural stomach pump.
(what's that, "puke"?)

Describe this moment?
Disappointing.
Underwhelming.
Pretentious.
Smells like salt water.
Boinkariffic?

The street lights flicker on and off
as silence grows on the horizon.
Milestones are stale and awkward
as expected,
always expected.

At least joy is still evident
in DIY punk shows;
just not growing up
or taking matters
into our own hands.

The brand of the boat
or the motion of the ocean
doesn't matter in the end,
it depends on whether or not
the ship capsizes on the sand.

Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:41 pm
Charlotte2 wrote a review...

This poem is really cool and I've never read anything like it. It's like a mixture between funny but thoughtful and it's quite hard to describe it, but I think it's a really great, original poem. It's funny, but it also has that essence of reality and feeling. Well done. I'm still trying to figure out what this poem means to me, but that's the beauty of it . . . it's abstract. You can relate to it in so many different ways. Keep writing!

Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:47 am
Jayce wrote a review...

The thing I like about this piece is how abstract it is. You use simple language and pinpointed descriptions to illustrate several coalescing ideas. Your central message isn't really clear to the reader at first, but I think that's what makes it special. It has a certain esoteric quality. I've never seen anything like it before.

Describe this moment?
Disappointing.
Underwhelming.
Pretentious.
Smells like salt water.
Boikariffic?

That's good stuff. You're describing the fallacies of humanity. People tend to glorify their own experiences and exaggerate, but there's nothing really special about "the moment". I think that stanza pretty much sums up what I interpreted from your poem. The fact that there's always something more to do or to get out of an experience. And that no matter how hard we try, it'll always feel like something's missing.

I skipped over your first stanza, but I do have to mention how much I appreciate it. It's a hell of an intro.

While the beginning of your second stanza is enticing, there's something off with the ending. I'd change "The quick cuts void of color / show that there's lack of depth..." to "The quick cuts, void of color, / show that there's lack of depth...". I think the added punctuation would improve the flow.

Third stanza is my favorite. Your imagery and snappy transitions are enviable. I almost laughed out loud at '(what's that, "puke"?)'.

I think that the rest is awesome, aside from the second to last stanza. That one doesn't get me as much as the others. I don't know what it is about it, though. Maybe the wording. Try, "At least joy is still evident / in DIY punk shows; / but growing up isn't / and neither is taking matters into our own hands". Not the best suggestion, but I'm not sure what is. I'll think on it.

Overall, this work is quite the gem. Thanks for writing, man.

-JC

Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:06 am
thecolorofthesky wrote a review...

Hey there friend! I'm definitely not disappointed with this poem. Your poetry has a distinct and mesmerizing style to it. The first stanza is golden and humorous. The first two lines of the second could be rephrased. The second stanza is well written. The flow on this is fantastic. I read it at a faster pace. The structure of the next stanza is beautiful. The fifth has a different flow to it due to line length. The next one really resonates in (what's left of) my soul. The last stanza is for sure the strongest. Punctuation is good. Your style is one that seems out of sorts but makes a larger painting with its individual pieces, tying it into one fine work of art. If you read it over a few times you see more and more. I like the piece because it has a purpose but also fits oddly enough into every individuals mind. You done good!

Poetry comes alive to me through recitation.
— Natalie Merchant