A Bad Feeling

by inktopus

David wasn't happy about moving, especially moving into a haunted house. Well, he wasn't sure that it was haunted. After all, he'd only ever seen it in a single picture. But David knew that an old house out in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by nothing but trees, could never mean anything good.

Mom decided to move after Dad had left with Marie. David didn't know Marie, but he still hated her. Anyone who made Mom cry couldn't be nice; Mom was the nicest lady David knew.

However, as nice as she was, Mom couldn't have chosen a worse house! It was the ideal house for a haunting. Danny even said that it looked haunted. Danny was David's older brother; he was starting high school in August so he had to know what he was talking about.

When Danny said that the house looked haunted, Mom got mad at him. Usually, David agreed with Mom, but, for once, Danny was right. The house did look haunted. But there wasn't anything that he could do to convince Mom to turn around the car. David was stuck moving into a haunted house.

In the front seat, Danny was scowling at Mom, he wasn't any happier about the move than David, not that it made him feel any better. He couldn't see Mom, but she'd been excited about the move for weeks, so there was no question of how she felt about it.

David turned his head to look out his window. He held his breath; outside the trees was a massive, dog-like creature. Its shaggy fur was brown and mottled and it stood like a gorilla. Glittering eyes peeked out from behind its fur, and yellow teeth gleamed with dripping saliva. David felt his stomach lurch and his heart start to beat faster. He blinked and the monster was gone. He looked back to see the creature loping into the trees. Not gone, the car had just passed it.

How had neither Mom nor Danny seen that? It was right there!

"We're almost there!" Mom sang.

David shuddered if that was what was in the woods, then what could be lying in wait for them in the house? He really didn't want to go anymore, if there was one monster, then surely there could be more! No! He had to be brave! David didn't know if the house was even haunted. Maybe it was safe from everything that roamed the woods. But what if it wasn't?

The car pulled to a stop and David wasn't given any more time to worry. He unbuckled his seatbelt and climbed out of the car. Mom got out too, throwing her arms in the air, "We're finally here!"

David wasn't listening to Mom; he was staring up at the house. It seemed to loom over the clearing, big and menacing. Danny climbed out of the car, slamming the door shut, "It seems like a bit of a fixer-upper," David knew that was sarcasm; Mom was always getting on Danny's case for that.

Mom also didn't seem to notice Danny's disdain for the house; she just walked right up and unlocked the door. She gave it a tug. It didn't budge. She pulled hard again and the door came unstuck. She nearly fell to the ground with the force of the pull. David felt even worse than when he saw the monster. But David still ventured closer, placing a foot on the rotting wooden steps, he felt the hairs on the back of his neck rise and he didn't dare look behind him as he ran the rest of the way up the steps and to Mom. David was too old to hold Mom's hand, but right then, he really wanted to.

Danny came up too, resting a hand on David's head, just that contact made David feel a little better, he wasn't alone. Danny probably didn't know what he just did, but David was grateful nonetheless. David hurried inside after Mom, who was surveying the house. "We have a lot of work to do," he heard her mutter. She whipped off a sheet covering an old couch, dust flew into the air and Mom started to cough. Once the dust had settled some, he smiled, "We have a lot of work to do before the movers come."

The rest of the day was spent cleaning up the parts of the house they'd need first. Mom set to work cleaning the kitchen, while Danny and David cleared out two bedrooms. They had discovered many disgusting things, such as a dried out wasps nest and a mouse corpse under an old bed. They had also discovered that the old mattresses had rotted, leaving a huge mess that they were left to sweep up. But their most disgusting find was a long dead raccoon in one of the bedrooms. Mom had said that they'd deal with that later, so David and Danny were left to share a room. Secretly David was glad that he wouldn't have to face the first night in the house alone because that bad feeling he had hadn't left him all day.

"C'mon, kid," Danny said. "We'll have to share tonight." Both of them were ready for bed and both crawled on the mattress. It was Danny's from the old house. They had just put his mattress on the bed frame already there. Once it was cleaned up it looked quite nice, and Mom said that it was a valuable antique. Danny switched off the camping lantern; the electrical work was shot, so until it got fixed they had to use candles and battery powered light sources.

In the dark, David felt terror sink in. It must have been hours he had lain awake, a knot in his belly. Then he heard something. It couldn't have been Danny, it sounded like paw steps. David forced himself to stay perfectly still, he didn't even breathe. Just outside the door, he could hear the skittering of claws. He could hear the paw steps again, coming closer and closer until he could hear heavy breathing. He could smell it too; it stank of an odor that David had smelt before. The raccoon, the creature's breath smelled like rotten meat. Eventually, the monster moved away, David must have been able to drift off at some point because he awoke to sunlight coming in through the dust-caked drapes.

Danny was still beside him, and still asleep. David felt guilty that he was going to wake him up, but he had to tell Danny. He gently shook his older brother awake. Danny groaned but didn't open his eyes, "What?"

"Danny," said David. "Last night there was something- you were right, the house is haunted."

"You were probably just dreaming." Danny moaned. "Things like that don't exist." He rolled over, presumably to go back to sleep. David wanted to say something else but thought better of it. Danny would only get mad. He had to talk to Mom.

David tried to tell Mom, but she wouldn't hear anything about it. "I know you're upset about the move, honey. All of us are, but you're old enough to know that these things just aren't real." Mom didn't believe him either; they were going to live in a house that was haunted or something of the sort. David was going to have to be the one to keep the house safe if Mom and Danny weren't going to do it. He would somehow protect the house.

For the next few days David, Danny, and Mom were busy cleaning the rest of the house. Since there wasn't much David could do without getting in someone's way, David had the job of cleaning out the closets. As boring as the job seemed there actually were quite a lot of interesting things to be found. David had discovered a few interesting relics that he decided were worth keeping, but most of what was in there was moth-eaten clothing and various small trinkets. But his biggest find was the diary of a young girl named Elizabeth. When David opened it, he didn't think there'd be much to it. Just a girl writing about mundane things like whom her crush was or the new dress she had just gotten.

But it was much more than that. The diary told of the creatures in the woods, with simplistic pictures of the ones she wrote about. David was so excited; he now he had a wealth of information on the creatures that roamed the woods. David was right! There were creatures! With more information from Elizabeth's diary, David would be able to keep the house safe. For once, he would finally able to do something for Mom and Danny.

SteppeVesteffi wrote a review...

Hello,

This is a cute story!

I really liked how you wrote it—that almost childlike, earnest, sweetly sincere way... it really felt like it was written with David's age and outlook in mind, which I appreciate. It fit the story nicely.

The flow and pacing were mostly all right, though parts of it definitely felt rushed. (Though I get, since this was for a contest with a page limit, that was sort of a necessity.) I really enjoyed the dynamic between David and Danny and their mother—they seem like an interesting, close, adorable family. I have a weakness for monster stories and creepy stories of all kinds, and I love that yours had a young boy as the protagonist. Something about a scary story with a child at its center really makes the stakes seem higher and the story more intriguing/intense. Of course, with this particular story, there wasn't a whole lot of intensity (we'll get to that in a minute), but as I said, I did like the naïve, innocent spin you opted for. It's really a shame you're not going to continue it/rewrite a longer version, because I think the bones are good and it would be quite entertaining.

In terms of what could've been improved, I do wish the story had felt a little more frightening or, at the very least, spooky. I never really flinched at any point, or felt as concerned for David and his family as I should've been, you know? And the ending's definitely flawed, but I understand about the page limit and everything. I also agree with Lupa: You tell more than show, and the story doesn't have as much imagery as it could. And I do wish it had been a bit more realistic in regards to David's reaction. (And yes, I know that demanding realism in a monster story that takes place at a haunted house is a little absurd, but I want it nevertheless.)

You also misuse commas quite a bit throughout this piece. I'll be pointing some of them out in my nitpicks, but not all of them because, frankly, there were just too many and my brain went numb after a certain point. XD You've gotta watch for that, though. Commas are notoriously easy to misuse, and it's pretty annoying for the reader.

Which brings us to... nitpicks (and other comments)!

Danny even said that it looked haunted. Danny was David's older brother; he was starting high school in August so he had to know what he was talking about.
When Danny said that the house looked haunted, Mom got mad at him. Usually, David agreed with Mom, but, for once, Danny was right.

So you kind of contradict yourself here. You start by setting up Danny as being someone who, in the eyes of David, is older and wiser and knows everything. Then you say that David usually agreed with his mother rather than Danny, and imply that Danny is rarely ever right. So which is it? Does David look up to Danny and thinks he knows everything, or think he's a goofball who's usually wrong?

Danny was scowling at Mom, he wasn't any happier about the move than David

Incorrect comma.

I know Lupa already called you on this one, but I think it's worth repeating. David's reaction to this is very weird. He should be scared! He should be screaming and pointing at the thing! Or, he should be frozen to his seat, wide-eyed, aghast. Something. And the way this is written should emphasize the fear and bizarreness—I'm talking short, choppy sentences, broken up and punctuated with David's thoughts or reaction, and written in a way that will make your reader scared. When I read this, I actually assumed that David was imagining things or playing pretend because his reaction was so off.

David shuddered if that was what was in the woods, then what could be lying in wait for them in the house?

Period after "shuddered."

He really didn't want to go anymore, if there was one monster, then surely there could be more!

Run-on.

Mom got out too, throwing her arms in the air, "We're finally here!"

You shouldn't use a comma to end a sentence right before a bit of dialogue. Really, the only time when a comma should lead into dialogue would be if the line preceding the comma is something like "I said/he said/my friend asked/my mom shouted." You make this mistake a few times.

"It seems like a bit of a fixer-upper," David knew that was sarcasm

Yet another incorrect comma.

David still ventured closer, placing a foot on the rotting wooden steps, he felt the hairs on the back of his neck rise and he didn't dare look behind him as he ran the rest of the way up the steps and to Mom.

Run-on, again. Don't be afraid to shorten your sentences.

Danny came up too, resting a hand on David's head, just that contact made David feel a little better, he wasn't alone.

Another run-on! Sadly, you do not get a prize.

So, overall, I liked this piece. I liked the way it was written, that childlike voice used to underscore David's age, and I liked the premise. Who doesn't love a good ol' haunted house/monster story? It's a classic for a reason. ;) That being said, you have to work on your emotion, and making your characters react in a way that's realistic and believable; you have to work on your suspense and fear factor when writing a story like this; you've gotta try to 'show' more than 'tell'; and lastly, COMMAS. Don't overuse/misuse commas, and don't be afraid to shorten up those long, ugly run-on sentences.

Nice work and keep writing!

Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:12 pm
Holysocks wrote a review...

Hey there! c:

I love horror stories or stories with monsters, even though it's a bad idea for me to read them or write them 'cause they freak me out! Dx But this was cool! You did a brilliant job making it suspenseful when the monster showed up in the boys' room.

...could never mean anything good.

Is it possible David knows this is a bad idea, because this is a very common setting in horror stories? ;) I also kinda wish that there'd be a story sometimes, about a family that moves into an old house/mansion in the woods and the kids actually like it! Personally, that would be SO exciting for me- I love old things and especially creepy old things. And living in the woods is really nice. And okay, I get it, coming to a house that's falling apart and has dead things in it is not pleasant at all, but STILL, you'd think they'd be a little excited before they saw the dead things.

Eventually, the monster moved away, David must have been able to drift off at some point because he awoke to sunlight coming in through the dust-caked drapes.

He fell asleep? :shock: I don't know about you, but I would not be able to fall asleep after a monster comes into my room while I'm sleeping and nearly chomps my face off. Sleep would just NOT be in the picture! I can barely fall asleep after I write about something like that happening, let alone that actually happening!

The ending I thought felt a little abrupt in the sense that suddenly David is just going to... protect the house. Like he's literally JUST moved there, and he has two weird events happen to him, and he's not even a little bit surprised- he's just like "Yay, now I have information to keep my family safe." But he doesn't even seem bothered by the initial thought that there's monsters! Maybe there's a way that you can show how scared David is- at the beginning you did a good job of this when David runs up the stairs after his mom. But I feel like he would still be pretty afraid, and concerned about these creatures, and I feel like he'd be a little more... unsure about things, if that makes sense.

Anyway, I hope that was helpful! I hope you keep writing this! ^_^

-Socks

inktopus says...

Thanks for the review! I wrote this a year ago for a contest (that I actually placed in which was cool) The abrupt ending was because of a page limit. Even when I wrote it, I didn't like that part.

You're definitely right about David being unconcerned about the monsters. I guess when I was writing it I wasn't very scared of the monsters I was imagining so when I wrote it my apathy carried over to David. I never noticed that before!

I'm not going to continue writing this, but I will certainly continue writing other stories. I'll take all of your advice into consideration when I write in the future.

Holysocks says...

Okay dokey! No problem! c:

Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:44 pm
erilea wrote a review...

Hey, StormCycle! Lupa here for a review. :D Let's begin...

1) You do a whole lot of telling, not showing. Instead of straight-out telling the reader that David isn't happy about moving, show his reaction when his mom tells him that they're going to move. You know, little clues like that to show the reader, not give it all away.

2) You don't use as much imagery as I would like. You keep insisting that the house looks haunted at the beginning and that even the picture of it looks scary, but how does the reader know? Describe it for the reader--justify David and Danny's feelings about it.

3) I would appreciate something to take the place of "haunted" once in a while. You use it so many times I get tired of it. Search up some synonyms on Google (you can usually find some good ones there; I always use Google when I'm in a word rut) or take out an old-fashioned thesaurus. Either works! :)

4) Can David have more of a reaction to the monster in the woods? He doesn't scream, even though it supposedly looks hideous. Make his feelings believable and give the reader something to jump off of: how bad really is this monster?

5) Last of all, this isn't much like a short story. It sounds more like a chapter than anything. I would love to see this turned into a book, to be honest. If you like the idea of continuing it, then go ahead! :D

Your piece is quite good. I really enjoyed reading it and my mind kept wondering about the various monsters in Elizabeth's diary. I really, really hope you make this into something more. Keep writing, Storm!

XOX,
Lupa22

inktopus says...

Thanks for the review! I wrote this about a year ago for a contest with a page limit so I totally agree with you on the ending. (I won 2nd place in my age group though) I'm not super proud of this, but I don't hate it which is impressive considering I wrote it a year ago. I'm probably never going to continue this but I will definitely take your advice when I write in the future.

erilea says...

Oh, okay. You're welcome! :D

The simple truth is that authors like making people squirm. If this weren't the case, all novels would be filled completely with cute bunnies having birthday parties.
— Brandon Sanderson, Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians