The Kingdom Beyond Reality

by Stevie

I know right now it doesn't seem fantasy but it is, just it doesn't come in until Chapter 2 or 3. I want honest opinions even if it's harsh.

Underline = Not sure what to do with this sentence.

Anyways thanks for any help given and yes I do know it's pretty bad, this is only my first draft (only edited for spelling and stupid typing errors) I've done enough talking... Enjoy the Story!

--------

Chapter One

The warm sunlight crept into the room and made her sketchbook glow, as her hand glided across the page like a dance. She was almost done she knew it and she couldn't stop, none of her being would let her. She was in a world of her own and there was no excaping it. When she finnaly drew the last line, erased the last mistake she looked at the picture. It captured every detail of her older brother Grady. In this picture he was happy, and several years younger then the last time she saw him. At the top she wrote 'Grady, age 14', then moved to the bottom corner and began her signature.

"Jen," a small voice said just as she finished the last letter. Jenelle looked up and saw her seven year old sister Annia in the doorway. "It's time to go."

"Alright." Jen said as she closed her sketchbook and stuffed it into her messenger bag. She put the strap across her shoulder and followed Annia downstairs.

"Ready to go?" Liam asked when they got outside. Liam worked for their grandfather, Jen never got a clear answer when it came to what he did but he was a good friend to her parents ever since they were young.

"Yeah." Jen said. Their foster parents could care less about her and her sister, the goodbyes were short. Jen and Annia got in the backseat of the taxi Liam had arrived in. Liam climbed into the passanger seat and the taxi driver drove them to the train station. They boarded a train and found their seats, Jen and Annia were quiet the entire time. This was their first time moving without Grady, and this was their least favorite move. It didn't help that their grandfather seemed to have ignored them for almost seven years, all they ever recieved from him was a few checks to get into private schools.

"Why now?" Jen said, spiting out a question she had been pondering ever since Liam called the day after Grady disappeared. She turned to Liam who seemed speachless.

"Jen, all I can tell you is that when your grandfather heard that Grady disappeared he was very upset and had me call your foster parents." Liam said choosing his words carefully, that was the last anyone said. Liam couldn't imagine what they were going through. After all the trio had beed inseparable and now that Grady was gone well they didn't feel like doing much. When the train stopped they got off and got into Liam's car. The train station was at the edge of a small town, Jen had just enough time to look around as they found Liam's car. The town was a basic little town with a post office, dinner, groshry store and a few independently owned stores.

Liam took Main Street south until the town disappeared and trees took the place of the stores. Jen watched the car's clock as every minute ticked away, it was exactly 15 minutes until they reached a gate. The gate opened as the car pulled up to it. Soon after the manor came into view, it was an old manor beautiful but unkept which gave it a mysterious feeling. More trees surrounded the back of the manor. Liam shut off the car infront of the manor and they got out, Jen couldn't help but stare at the archutecture, she had never seen anything like it.

"The Manor was origionally a watch tower, that's where the unique design comes from, they couldn't knock down the tower so they just built rooms around it." Liam said noticing their stares. He took out his keys and unlocked the door. The foyer of the manor was amazing, it was in a circle shape and about five stories up. Stairs lined the wall starting at her left and spiraling up towards the top until it vanished into the ceiling. The floors were white marble and blue marble double star shape, that looked so familiar to Jen. To her right there was a more modern swinging door that seemed out of place in the rustic medival look of the rest of the foyer.

"Hello!" He shouted, there was the sound of champering pots then a woman about Liam's age came from the swinging door. She was wearing an apron, jeans and an old t-shirt. "Trying to cook again I see."

"Hey Liam." she said laughing, then she noticed Jen and Annia. "I see you've brought our guest."

"Yeah, this is Jen and Annia." he said pointing to each in turn. "Jen and Annia this is Mooney. She's incharge of all household stuff, like cooking," he said, humor in his voice.

"Well I try. It's nice to meet you." she said. Liam looked at his watch.

"Eh, I'm late!" he said partly to himself. "Jen, Annia I'm going to leave you in the care of Mooney I got to go. See you two tonight at dinner." He said before rushing up the stairs.

"Well that's Liam for you." Mooney said rolling her eyes. "So do you girls want me to show you around?"

"Sure." Jen said speaking for herself and Annia.

"Okay, follow me." She said walking to the stairs, they climed until they reached a hallway, Mooney went down. Doors lined both walls, about five on each side. "This is what we like to call the Youth Hall. There are several bedrooms we had two made up just for you, I'll show them to you soon. What I really want to show you is at the end of the hallway."

The hallway suddenly opened into a large room lit by the sun's light. Annia's eyes widened and Jen's jaw dropped because the room was one of the coolest hang out rooms she had ever seen. An arrangement of pillows and beanbag chairs covered the floor a futton and sofa was in the middle of the room facing a widescreen TV, a movie Jen didn't reconnize played on the screen. The wall surrounding it was covered in bookshelves, which were filled with books, movies and games. A girl just younger than Annia sat on one of the beanbag chairs in the courner of the room reading a book, when they entered the room the girl looked up and shut her book then put it on the shelf. Suddenly the TV turned off and a boy around Jen's age looked up from the couch.

"Jen, Annia these are your cousins Caleb and Adelaide.. well we all call her Ellie-" said Mooney. Jen was more shocked then ever, according to every record they had seen their grandfather was their only living relative. No one had ever told them they had cousins, they new their father had a brother but that was as far as their knowledge had gone. Mooney noticed the expression on their faces, a bit confused on what was going on. "I'll show you your rooms and then I got to go make lunch."

Their rooms were nice and right across the hall from each other. Jen's was perfect for her, there was a border of cork board going around the middle of the wall. A chalk board covered one wall while the others were painted in slate blue. Her bed was an old iron framed bed with a warm looking blue, purple and black comforter. Over all the room screamed Jenelle Collier, plenty of places to draw and write on the walls, in one corner there was a big arm chair with a big lamp behind it. Annia's room was perfect for her too, shelves lined the room they were filled with books and other forms of information. Jen and Annia decided to unpack after lunch, so they went into the big room again.

"When's lunch?" Jen asked when she entered the room, Caleb looked up from the couch.

"In about five minutes." He said standing up. "We better get down to the kitchen."

Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:55 pm
Aisho wrote a review...

Um ... okay ... I've really liked all your previous work, but this one kind of flopped for me. This is why:

When a family friend (who is assumably like family) comes inside covered in BLOOD and MUD ... why on *earth* would you sit around for hours trying to open a diary? And for that matter, why is she sick all of a sudden? That came out of nowhere and I'm loooosssttt ...

There's grammar and sentence structure and everything that needs reworking, but I wanted to focus on the big ideas, seeing as how these are the things that could seriously trip up your story in the future.

lol I loved the French thing though. I can just imagine their faces ... like "wha???" :D

Stevie says...

Here's Chapter Two! Hope you enjoy! Um... anything in Italics is translated and if there is anyone out there who speaks french check the french part for me I would be grateful!

Also I came up with a title for this book (the first in the series called The Kingdom Beyond Reality) it's henceforth called Midnight Masquerades... you'll see why in chapter ten or so if this version goes like the last.

------

The Garden was beautiful in the summer's heat the flowers flourished while bees and butterflies stole nectar from deep within the flowers and carried it off. Mooney had decided to have lunch outside instead of in the kitchen, which she said was "too conventional and over crowded." Hence Jen's desperate attempt to keep flies away from her half eaten sandwich.

"Do you guys like your rooms?" Mooney asked sitting down.

"They're very nice. Perfect even," Annia replied looking at Jen who nodded reassuringly.

"Nous avons dépensé des semaines repeignant ces pièces pour vous. Je suis content que vous les avez aimés!" Ellie said. We spent weeks redecorating those rooms for you. I'm glad you liked them! Jen looked confused.

"Ellie will only speak French," Caleb explained.

"No. How could you guys be redecorating the rooms for weeks if we didn't even know we were moving until after Grady disappeared?" Jen asked.

"So what do you guys like to do for fun?" Mooney asked Annia changing the subject.

"I like to read, so does Jen, but I like Non-Fiction, and Jen is more of the imaginative one. She's always day dreaming about this and that, and she very much loves to draw. I'm more of a researcher myself. I like to learn about things." Annia said Jen couldn't help but smile.

"What's your favorite subject?" Mooney asked, seemingly interested.

"Quantum Physics," Annia said with such confidence it surprised Mooney.

"So could you help me with my Physics homework next year then?" Caleb asked laughing.

"What's wrong Jen?" Mooney asked when she noticed that she hadn't taken a bite of her sandwich in nearly five minutes.

"I'm not feeling well," she lied. Instinctively her hand went to the chain around her neck, a pendent given to her by her mother always there, she never took it off. Currently the stone in the center of the pendent shone gray with a hint of orange it had been like that ever since Grady disappeared. She was worried about him. Mooney looked at her like she could see right through her act. This made Jen shift in her seat uncomfortably. "It must be from the train, I get motion sickness easy."

"Alright, why don't you go lay down," Mooney said after a while concern written all over her face and words. Jen looked over at Annia to make sure she was okay then went inside. For a reason she couldn't understand she walked right past the Youth Hall. Three stories up she stopped and looked over the railing, the floor looked even more magnificent from above. The two stars seemed to pop right out of the floor. At the sound of a conversation behind her she turned around and was staring directly into a dark hallway, the sign above the hall read 'Forbidden Library'.

She walked through the hall in the darkness she could see a light at the end and walked to it. The voices stopped moments before she entered the library. She walked carefully so she wouldn't be caught, but no one was in the room. She looked around; the walls were covered with shelves which were filled with books. Tables and sofa's filled the middle; Jen looked at the books to her right. They were really old and she had never heard of any of them before. She heard the front door slam and she ran from the room. When she reached the stairs she saw Liam walking across the foyer soaking wet and covered in mud and blood. Jen shut her eyes tight, she couldn't be seeing what she is, she opened her eyes - he was still there, mud and all. He went into the kitchen, and was greeted by several adults. From her position on the stairs she could not hear what they said.

Jen ran into her room and tried to make sense of all she had just seen. Her mind was running a million miles an hour. It wasn't until she calmed down that she noticed it - there was an old book on her bed. It was light tan in color with a red spine and corners, on the cover there was a piece of paper taped to it, she walked closer to see what it said. "The Diary of Emiliana Róisín Collier" it said below the same double star symbol that was in the foyer.

It had a gold lock on the side she tried to open the lock but it just wouldn't budge. She sat around for hours to figure out how to open it.

Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:45 pm
Stevie says...

Thanks guys for the critics!

Eleinasari - That is really helpful, thank you! I wrote this piece as a way to get rid of my writers block and to rewrite a story I prevously had written (which was on my flash drive which I lost:(). About the grammer, yeah I knew someone was going to say something like that... my english teachers have been telling me the same thing ever since they started to write reports for english class.
I'm glad you liked the story! Don't worry there will be more chapters coming (since I'm rewriting a story I had gotten to about the tenth chapter with... it was actually pretty good.) Yeah Mooney's a cool character, and so is Liam (your little blurb about him made me laugh cause that's exactly how I wanted to portrade him and eventually you'll find out what he does but not until later.... and if you mean romantic type date it's not that... you'll see why in the next chapter) Lastly (cause I know this is getting long.. I tend to rant) If I did a good job telling what happened to Grady without completely killing your mind then that's good cause a lot of other information I plan to reveal in a similar way.
Thanks again and I'll PM you when the next chapter comes up.

ShadowTwit - I'm glad you liked it, I'll try and make it a little more emotional (but not overwelmingly dramatic .. sorry I can't stand when it goes that far) Thank you!

Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:16 pm
Twit wrote a review...

Elein saved me a job, by doing the line-by-line-nitpick (thanks Elein!), so nothing left for to say, just that I liked this. It seemed interesting, but a bit flat, if you know what I mean. Add lots of emotions and even if the plot doesn't work well, if your characters are great, it won't be as noticable. :) Not saying it will, but just a note there.

Very good.

Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:37 am
Esmé wrote a review...

Hello Stevie!

My opinion is that no one on YWS should go without a review having posted, and should have at least one critique concerning their piece. Well, somehow you ended up with me…

Quote:
The warm sunlight crept unto the room and made her sketchbook glow, her hand glided across the page like a dance.

Unto = into
Add a linking word after the coma, like ‘and’ ‘while’ etc., so that the sentence won’t be run on anymore. I’m not entirely sure by the ‘like a dance part’, it is bothering me a bit, but that might just be me…

Quote:
At the top she wrote 'Grady, age 14' in all caps, then moved to the bottom courner and began her signature.

Courner = corner
In all caps = a bothering me term. Consider rephrasing?

Quote:
"Jen." A small voice said into the room just as she finnished the last letter.

Comma after ‘Jen’, and then ‘a’ or whatever else you will or will not have in its place written in small letters.
Finished = finished.
Also, ‘said into the room’ sounds a bit awkward. Consider leaving only ‘said’? Or changing it somehow?

Quote:
She put her messanger across her shoulder and followed Annia downstairs.

I have never ever heard the ter ‘messanger’, lol! I’ll have to look it up in the dictionary later, hehe. But, the main point of this particular comment is that the repeated use of ‘messanger’ could have been avoided.

Quote:
Liam worked for their grandfather, what he did exactly Jen wasn't quite sure but he was a good friend to their parents.

Hm, rephrase the whole sentence? Add commas and linking words and generally rewrite it. Read it out loud and see if it seems OK.

Quote:
They borded a train and found their seats, Jen and Annia were quiet the intire time.

Borded = Boarded
Intire = Entire
Split this into two sentences, or add a linking word, or soething else that’ll serve the purpose of connecting those two sentences, eg. ‘with’.

Quote:
All their grandfather never gave them more then a few checks to get into a good school, a nice but impersonal gift.

I cannot make sense of this sentence, and feel that if I start making any corrections, I’ll totally ruin its original meaning. But rephrase it.

Quote:
Liam said choising his words carefully.

Choising = Choosing
While we’re at it, comma after ‘said’.

Quote:
That was the last anyone said, Liam could understand Jen and Annia's sadness.

Cannot grasp this sentence. (it’s right after the above one)

Quote:
After all the trio were inseperable, now that Grady was gone well they didn't feel like doing much.

Inseperable = Inseparable
Again, a connection is needed, and a change of tie. Were = had been

Quote:
The train station was at the edge of a small town, Liam took Main Street until the town disappeared and they were emerged in woods.

Connection, and the term ‘emerged’ is irking me a bit. Consider rephrasing?
The sentence after: ‘Until’? Or when?

Quote:
She's incharge of all household stuff, like cooking." he said humor in his voice.

Incharge = In charge
Comma instead of a period before the last quote, and comma after ‘said’.

Quote:
Annia's eyes widened and Jen's jaw dropped, inside the room was one of the coolest hang out rooms she had ever seen.

I could chuck out the ‘inside, add ‘because’ or something of the kind before it, and ta-da!

Quote:
Jen's was perfect for her there was a border of cork board going around the middle of the wall. A Chalk board covered one wall while the others were wanted in slate blue.

I would make the first sentence of the above into a separate sentence. Chalk should not be capitalized, a typo, I think.

Well, that is the end of the mostly line-by-line crit. : ) Time for some more general stuff.

What I liked:

-> Your descriptions. Generally very cool and detailed, and they were very good. I especially liked the Manor one - it was great!

-> Dialogue. It flowed very well, and there were few awkward moment’s. They managed to tell me something of the character’s personalities, at least some of them, and most of the tags you added worked really well.

-> Characters. The whole lot of them was interesting, lol, and I really did like their names. I want to find out what happenes to tehm, so this had better not be yoru last post!

-> Generally interesting. I liked the plot, I liked the characters, which is very good. I also want to find out what happens to particular characters, and you had better post a continuation. Or else…

Main issues:

-> Commas. Make peace with them. Re-read your story, add them when their needed and backspace the ones that are not. I pointed out and corrected a few, but there really are more throughout the whole text. Also, concerning dialogue (the comas, periods, etc.), check out Claudette’s (I think, but I ay be wrong that it‘s her who wrote it…) article on the topic. It’s great!

-> Grammar. Is also big issue here, and slowed down the reading, which was a bit irritating. As a writer, you must avoid irritating the reader !! I pointed out a few mistakes, but as with the ‘Commas’ above, more are littered throughout the story. My only suggestions are that you read through it and correct what you see. As you keep writing, I think that you’ll just unconsciously stop making them : ) Practice makes perfect!

-> Read some of your sentences out loud, or at least those that you feel are a bit awkward. It does help when you want to correct mistakes, from the tiny ones to the ones that positively hurt the eyes.

-> Connections. Ah, linking words. What can I say here? Copy and paste the rant that I had on ‘Commas’ and ‘Grammar’? Re-read the text for them, add ‘and’ ‘while’ ‘because’ ‘even though’ and the like.

Characters:

*My personal favorite is Mooney. There are a myriad of possibilities (as with any other character) of what can/might/could/should happen to her, and I am eager to find out what actually will, lol.
*Liam is also interesting, though a bit on the mysterious side. Because what do we know of him? He works for their grandfather, and that’s it. And why did he disappear so suddenly? Hm? Why =, I ask you? It’s suspicious, I tell you, suspicious! (Well, okay, maybe he had a date or something, but that is beside the point…)
*Jenna and Annia - the girls still have much room to move about, and their characters will unfold, I think, in the future.
*The cousins of the above. Again, very mysterious. I can’t possibly say much about the, as their appearance in Chapter One was a small one. Still, Caleb looks interesting ^_^
*The grandfather. Hm…

Ending points:

-> Generally, you need to work a bit on the sentence structure. There were few spelling mistakes, which is a big bonus!

-> I think you have an interesting plot, one that gives numerous possibilities. I really do want to find out what happens to Jen and her sister, so post it! PM me if you do so.

-> Last thing. Really. I would like more background info weaved somehow (that’s up to you!) into the story. Of course, don’t make it an info-dump or anything. (Ah, the easy life of a writer…)

Cheers!
Elein

If you ever find yourself in the wrong story, leave.
— Mo Willems