Tales of Hayden - Chapter 1

by Steggy

In short, we have been telling ourselves some lies. These lies consisted of false intake of prophecies and made-up worlds in which we had to believe. Some dreamed of pretend places, with fairies and demons, singing whimsical songs while others stood outside, their hands stuffed deep into their pockets while mumbling broken promises. Others were the rebels, wavering their bright painted hands at the walls, drawing news ideas and speaking tales with fire-breathing dragons. Among these people was a boy known for his lies in four other countries.

“I am going to travel far away to the country of thieves and ghosts,” he would say, waving his hands in front of the growing crowd. “The place of foreseen measures and unholy hopes. A place where everyone wants to rule the world!”

This earned a cheer from the young ones, jumping up from their sitting position. The older ones grunted, continuing on their merry way. Their feet were covered in dust from the stone road below, their glossy bald heads glistened in the sun above making them seem like worthy monks. They walked towards the town center crowded with vendors and scrawny little kids, playing games.

The boy then continued on. “My parents told me stories of what cities were like when they were filled with people. Each person would wander around from time to time, giving wishes to the fellow royal highnesses like animals and food baskets. They were the gods, my parents told me. If they waved a hand over the area, gold would rain down from the heavens. The peasants of these noble kings and queens, wanted revenge and hopefully rid of their foul behavior.

“If the royal highnesses showed a downwards thumb over the area, bad luck would preside over the land for five moons and two suns. It was then that the peasants grew very mad and started to rebel against. It only lasted for only two suns.” He paused for a minute, collecting a thought.

“However the nobles would think about this ‘rebelling’ as promotion to a new kingdom and would offer these protesters treats and candy. Offerings of royal titles were thrown to the ground while some would debate these offerings before accepting or rejecting them.”

Then an old man with depressing blue eyes, walked by the crowd. He had frayed pink lips with wrinkles on his cheeks, and wore a pearl white tunic around his shoulders and body. His sandals on his feet were torn and weared down to the sole. He looked over at the group and grinned.

“Lovely tale there, young boy. Just remember fables are tales in reality,” and walked off into the crowded town center.

The young boy shrugged, looking towards the group of younger boys.

“Silly old man, this story isn’t a fable; it actually happened!” 

Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:01 am
TriSARAHtops wrote a review...

Hey Stegs! I saw this and I knew I had to review it because last year (and the start of this year) I too wrote a story which mentioned a 'Hayden' in the title, so it had a nice kind of familiarity about it.

I'm guessing this is your NaNo novel? If it is, feel free to not worry too much about my review until NaNo's over. :D

I really like the kind of set up you've got going on in the opening paragraph. The wording's a little bit clunky in the second sentence, although it doesn't take long for you to find an engaging voice, but the premise is really cool, and got my attention right away.

I'm not sure how I feel about you not naming the boy telling the story. I think your chapter's short enough that you can get away with it, but generally hiding a character's name, unless not knowing the name is part of the plot, I guess, for extended periods of time gets a bit jarring for the reader, means they don't necessarily connect with the character and the story as much as they could. I like how the boy's introduced, but maybe consider revealing his name, unless doing so will not work for the plot.

I really like the story that the boy (I want to guess that it's the eponymous Hayden of the title) is telling, however, I do feel like it loses some of its effect in being a block of dialogue. I remember reading somewhere where an author said something about avoiding having more than three lines in one bit of dialogue or something, which I'm not entirely sure I 100% agree with, but the point I'm trying to make is that sometimes having big chunks of dialogue gets a bit iffy. Potentially you could go into describing what he's talking about in more detail in the narration rather than in the dialogue, if that makes sense, that way you can potentially make the imagery even stronger, or otherwise break it up a little with some descriptions of what's going on, like the audience's reactions, and what's going on around the boy.

The description you have is really great, but I'd like to see a teensy bit more interwoven throughout the chapter as a whole, to really give us a good idea of the setting and a sense of place. Super important in fantasy!

That's about all from me. For a NaNo chapter, or any first chapter, really, but particularly for something you've written in a very short space of time, this is really strong, and I'm looking forward to seeing where the story goes! Any questions, let me know!

Steggy says...

Thank you kindly! :D

Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:06 am
PancakeandWaffle wrote a review...

Hi this is Pancake here and may I just say that this sounds really good! I love the way you spoke of the fables (or realities) of the village and that you could create a part of a whole kingdom's history with so few words but was still very clear. There's just a few grammatical things that may need a bit of fixing.

“I am going to travel far away to the country of thieves and ghosts,” he would said, waving his hands in front of the growing crowd. “The place of foreseen measures and unholy hopes. A place where everyone wants to rule the world!”

The whole thing itself is fine, it's just that after the "country of thieves and ghosts" part, you have a comma when it should be a period. Due to the fact that the continuing quote starts with an uppercase.

"he would said" It should be "say"

“My parents told me stories of what cities were like when they were filled with people. Each person would wander around from time to time, giving wishes to the fellow royal highnesses like animals and food baskets. They were the gods, my parents told me. If they waved a hand over the area, gold would rain down from the heavens. The peasants of these noble kings and queens, wanted revenge and hopefully rid of their foul behavior.

This really just needs a quotation mark on the end.

"It was then that the peasants grew very mad and started to rebel against. Lasted for only two suns.”

These two sentences are slightly choppy as in the first sentence it finishes with "...started to rebel against." then it just cuts off. It could be "rebel against the higher class." or just " started to rebel." just a suggestion though.

The next sentence "Lasted for only two suns.” should probably be "It lasted for only two suns." it just seems like better English.

That's it for me, though I might have missed something to be honest. It's really just a few little things that needed a lot of space to go over. Over all the story sounds fantastic and I hope to see more, great job Stegosaurus!

Steggy says...

Thank you! :D

No prob! Also I love your profile picture, it's so cute!

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read.
— Groucho Marx