Exclusively For You

by Steggy

Don't lose the moon by counting the stars,
The moon was made exclusively for you. 

You shouldn't have envy over Jupiter and Mars
It's simply the thing you should never do. 

The grass seemed greener on the other side of town,
But the other side of town used the same seed.

Maybe you don't have exactly everything you want,
At least you have all the things you really need.

You could look at other people and wish you had their lives,
Be jealous almost every single day.

You change yourself to be king,
It never ever happens in that way. 

There are plenty more that think the way you do,
Show appreciation, have meditation.

The moon was made exclusively for you. 

Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:54 am
1swimgirl wrote a review...

Hey!!! It's time for a review!
OMG!!! This is a really good poem. You hooked me right way with your poem and immediately I wanted to read more. Your language is really good and I dont know what it is about your poem but it is really good. This poem really hooks into emotions and I can really understand where this is coming from. I am going to share this poem to other people ! You are really talented and I am in love with this poem. My favorite part of your poem is "Don't loose the moon by counting the stars, The moon was made exclusively for you." This part of the poem touched me the most in a way that is hard to explain. Your poem flows so well and i am in awe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you for sharing this poem to the world! I can't wait to see what all else you write!!!!

Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:27 am
XPresidentTurtlesX wrote a review...

Hello there, Stegosaurus!
I really loved this poem, especially the meaning behind it. It was very 'cutsie' but also had a lot of truth behind it, and the way you conveyed that was very well done!
Practically anything I find wrong is usually me being rather nit-picky, and if you think the sentence sounds fine, then feel free to make no changes. However, as a reviewer, my job is to make your writing better, so I hope that I can at least make an impact on your writing!

"You could look at other people and wish you had their lives,
Be jealous almost every single day."- Honestly, what I see wrong in this is mostly just your style of writing poetry, and that's fine. I feel like "be jealous" sounds very awkward and could be rephrased to sound something along the lines of "and be jealous."

"You change yourself to be king,
It never ever happens in that way."-The way this stanza is written gives off a rather uneasy vibe. I get what you were going for, but at the same time, the wording choice itself isn't very clear and direct in your meaning. Something like 'You change yourself to fit the role of a king, yet it doesn't work that way' is read more fluently and keeps the flow going.

I hope I didn't come off rude! This poem was really gorgeous and has a very positive meaning to those around you. Don't stop writing and keep up the good work!
~Prez. T

Steggy says...

You didn't come off as rude! Thank you very much for this review! :D

Virgil says...

So, CUTE. I luv it.

ticktock123 wrote a review...

Hi!
I really enjoyed reading your poem. It has a very deep meaning which I think got across well due to the rhyming and repetition of "don't loose the moon by counting the stars, the moon was made exclusively for you". It is very true as well. Its something we all struggle with. We are always jealous and the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. I think a lot of people can relate to this poem. I really liked it! And your writing style is great!
Tick tock

Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:45 am
Virgilius wrote a review...

Hey Virgilius here for a review. I AM IN NO WAY A PROFESSIONAL IN THE FIELD OF POETRY SO PLEASE FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD ALL I SAY... but please don't.

I liked it. It was clean straightforward and very honest. I love your writing style and I will definitely read your work again.

I do feel a need to see this in quartets instead of duple but that's merely an opinion and I sure you can tell me why I am wrong. I simply feel it would have added to the rhyme pattern.

Again I liked it please don't stop writing and feel proud of what you created.

RagingLive wrote a review...

Hi there Steggy!! RagingLive here to review your poem today, love! :D

First of all, I found this poem extremely sweet and very moving in an inspirational sense. one of my favorite lines:

I think that this poem was executed very nicely, and I have very few nitpicks.

I think it's just a thing you shouldn't do

This doesn't sound very professional here, plus it just doesn't flow right. I would suggest that you rephrase that to say:
"It's simply the thing you should never do." Also, you were missing a period at the end of this sentence! :)

The grass seems always greener on the other side of town

Here I think that you should just go with the old saying "The grass is always greener on the other side of town," (and add a comma at the end to keep with the poem formatting!) since the saying is more recognizable and easier to read. If you do, however, decide to keep it the same, here's a suggestion:
"The grass seemed greener on the other side of town," or, "The grass always seems greener on the other side of town," But I'm afraid that these don't flow as well or will 'click' as easily in the reader's mind.

The other side of town used the same seed.

I would put a 'but' at the very beginning of this phrase so it would read better.

At least you have the things you really need.

I wonder if putting 'all' before 'the things' would even out this sentence. You try it out and let me decide what you think, since it really isn't a life-or-death situation for you poem, just a thought.

Get jealous almost every single day.

Using 'get' here seems a bit amateurish to me. Maybe if we replaced it with 'be' it would sound like this:
"Be jealous almost every single day."

A few lines that I just plain old didn't understand:
Not going to change a thing, you want to be a king

This I just didn't understand at all, so I think you'll want to make it a little more clear.

Plenty more that think the way you do.

Did you mean to say: "There are plenty more that think the way you do." My suggestion here would be to change to the above sentence and then flip the two phrases.
"There are plenty more that think the way you do,
Show appreciation, have meditation."

I really, really loved this poem!! I think that you have awesome potential and want to see how it works out in the future!! If you have any questions or need to set me straight on a few things, please feel free to message me in the comments below!

Keep writing and keep on smiling!! :D
~RagingLive

Steggy says...

Thank you for this kind review! :)

Steggy says...

I changed some stuff... What do you think of it?

RagingLive says...

It looks awesome!! If I'm going to be nitpicky, though, I did wonder about this:
You change a yourself to be king,

I did notice it was a change, but the 'a' seems like it doesn't belong. Your thoughts?

Steggy says...

Oh! I didn't see the 'a' there. I'll change it then it will seem better or something... thanks again!

BethsLlama says...

Really great poem! The theme was very clear and the rhythm and structure was great. You didn't add any more to it than what it needed. It is a very solid work!

There is no quiet. There is only Doc McStuffins.
— Ron Swanson