new moon

by starlitmind

images taken from google images

FireEyes wrote a review...

Heya star! More poetry for me to review!!! And oOoOoo a nice format. Let's get started, shall I?

So this poem is longer than the rest so I shall go by stanza- no no, phases of the moon. But before I do that, how could I not love how you had made this into a simple visual with the moon? Your celestial and space themes will never not be beautiful.

Waxing Crescent
So this starts with the notion that you don't think you are beautiful. But you are beautiful so that is a lie <3. But it's a theme that comes back around in the full moon.

i am also a coward, being afraid of the dark and the darkness in me...
I think this perfectly frames how a person it literally afraid of what they have become. And you fear what others will think when the darkness trickles out. It could be because you've only ever been happy, loving, and smiling. But when someone you know for the longest time, sees you without this demeanor, they can be quick to judge why you have been acting "weird" lately. It's just soul crushing to hear and see. <3

First Quarter
One part that jumped out at my was how you described yourself as being made out of stars that couldn't shine. It's like you thought of yourself as a defect. Even though this sadness is temporary and this was also 2020, a depressing time for all of us, I think you deserve more hearts <3333. But more onto The First Quarter, you also describe the feeling of not belonging with the line
fragments of a thousand different planets, but none of them are my own

Waxing Gibbous
As the darkness gets smaller, the more you are having to think about your darkness in less words. So this phase is different than the others. You are begging to have some sort of light from the moonbeams when in actuality they are a dim glow. In the other phases you alluded to not liking the darkness and this will be added upon in the future stages.

Full Moon
This one is short and simple, all it says is
maybe i need to love the dark to find the light
It's so simple but in conjunction with the full moon, where the moon is fully glowing, it gives another layer of meaning. The light you are seeing is not a bright strong light where you can see the path you are taking. It is only the glow of the moon providing as much light as you need to not royally screw up. It's like when someone is gaslighting another. They need the bright light to see the lies around them but they coming back to that sickly glow, because that's all they know.

Waning Gibbous
Oh no the darkness is back! So here is where you want to learn how to love your darkness. If I had any critique it would be here. You use the word dark, darkness a lot. Maybe something like the deepest of indigo blues could fit. It's dark enough that it almost looks like black but when you look at it up close you see a beautiful blue. Maybe that could be substituted for when you are appreciating your darkness, because you don't see it as darkness.

Third Quarter
So here is where it's "normalized" that being dark, or in real life terms-depressed, is normal and even encouraged. It shouldn't be, though <333. And it plays on "too much of a good thing can be a bad thing." But any of a bad thing is still a bad thing. They are perhaps trying to persuade you in this poem that you need a little bit of sadness to know when the happy times are here, as Bob Ross said.

Waning Crescent
I like this one. It shows the state that big bright stars, or in real life superstars, can also become depressed or succumb to darkness. And those people are beautiful, so the darkness must be beautiful, so you must be beautiful. But star, you're a beautiful human, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Especially yourself. <33 Another thing I would like to point out is something I learned from uhh Care Bears. I'm going to be paraphrasing a lot. So basically it's like why be happy when you know you're going to be sad later? And that'a what you're touching upon in this phase. "Why have light when it leads to darkness and vise versa."

New Moon
Okay last one! Here is where you are not afraid anymore. You want to explode! And you now know that you have to grow your own light, not source it out from some other person. I just think this is a great ending to this poem. It's one last hurrah till you try to make your own light-happiness. I think the use of the stages of the moon was great. The full moon cycle takes about a month and these feelings you were feeling don't just happen in the span of reading a poem. They happen over days. And I think you conveyed them well.

Okay! That was all for today! I hope you enjoyed. And I hope you found this stuff useful because I had just woken up and wrote this review, and it was a long one. I hope it wasn't too long. Anyway byeeeeeeeeeeee<333

starlitmind says...

AHHHH I LOVE THIS REVIEW, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR TAKING SO MUCH TIME TO ANALYZE EACH PART!!!!

You use the word dark, darkness a lot. Maybe something like the deepest of indigo blues could fit.

LOL I REALLY DO XD I LOVE THE SUGGESTION

I hope you enjoyed. And I hope you found this stuff useful because I had just woken up and wrote this review, and it was a long one.

I most definitely enjoyed, and I most definitely find this useful!!! ^_^ I appreciate all of your hard work and effort. you're the best <3

Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:14 am
LadyBug wrote a review...

Hello, StarlitMind, it's Jade here for a very quick review.

I loved the format, for starters. It has been one of the most creative things I've seen today. The poetry itself is well written and gives on an eerie vibe of sorts that goes well with the format! My one critique is to focus more on using synonyms, this feels a tad repetitive in places, also, the lower-case I along with your perfect punctuation threw me off just a bit, as it seems like a mistake.

Overall, I loved this and cannot think of many ways to correct it, it was beautiful and I hope to see more of your work soon. Keep writing!

Jade

starlitmind says...

Thanks for your review! I will definitely check out the things you mentioned <3

Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:08 am
deleted30 says...

This is beautiful and so creative. Definitely one of my favorite pieces I've ever read on here. Great work. :)

starlitmind says...

Aw wow, thank you so much! <3

Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:17 am

Gosh this is a great poem. <3

Even without the formatting - I think the content is really solid, especially in the two longest sections. That said; you just nailed the formatting - there's a sense of time passing, growth, and birth in the way the poem expands into the New Moon at the end.

Favorite Lines
Love the line "as conspicuously as stardust" and the idea of doubt and fear trickling out of eyes is also great!

"maybe i need to love the dark to find the light" is incredibly intriguing too.

A few comments

In the "first quarter" the places the words got broken up felt a bit more natural since that sections was about fragments.

In "waxing gibbous" I wonder if there's something more imagery-heavy that you could use instead of "get rid of".

Loved the transition to "full moon" with it being a full circle that repeated - yes, yes, yes! :)

In "third quarter" I'm curious at the choice to have "sun" as plural? I guess there are other galaxies and suns outside of our's but for some reason that in itself is a bit jarring to think about. I didn't necessarily have a problem with it being plural, was just curious about the choice.

I think that in "third quarter" you should see if you can revise to make "overwhelming" not get broken up, since it hurts the flow and look a bit. Maybe "light overwhelms" would fit?

I'm not sure the repetition is as effective "waning crescent" I almost wanted it to culminate into something more powerful than just seeing oneself as beautiful. Maybe "the dark is beautiful, i am beautiful, the dark isn't hollow, i am light" ~ or just something a bit more dramatic. I did like the usage of italic though.

As I said earlier I think your first and last in the set were the strongest, the imagery and continued usage of the light/dark motif in the final poem - which are highlighted and actually illustrated by your usage of white / black font and backgrounds. Form mimicking the content is always a really cool thing to see.

Yeah, I also thought the poem concluded really nicely and had a sense of a fullness in the narrative progression of the speaker - from having so much doubt and fear at the beginning then working through that until they had this optimism and hope in the last section. I would imagine this was a really difficult poem to stay disciplined in the word limit constraints of each concrete space - but the poem manages to say a lot while being relatively short.

Also a common critique of poems that play a lot with formatting is they verge on too artsy and then become "just art" but not "beautiful poetically" (not a fan of that binary,,,,) I think this poem totally satisfies in being beautifully visually and conceptionally, but also having the beautiful wording and meaning to back it.

Also I think the lowercased "i's" were a great choice for this piece as the dot on a lowercase "i" is a little circle and it gives attention to the speaker struggling with self-doubt. :)

Beautifully done, let me know if you had questions about my review or wanted feedback on something I didn't address!

~alliyah

starlitmind says...

Thank you so much for such a helpful review!
As for the pluralization of suns, I kind of imagined in my head a group of suns just hanging out together in a corner of the universe cx I guess what I'm trying to say is that I imagined the suns to be people in a way, as well as everything else, so it's kind of like a community, if that makes sense!
I agree with everything you said. I'll definitely check out the repetition part as well as the other things. Your reviews are always so helpful, because they bring out points I'd never thought of before!
Again, thank you so much for your review, it's really appreciated! <3

Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:15 am
MoonIris wrote a review...

Hi, StarlitMind. I am here with a short review.
First of all, I wanted to say how creative the shape of the poem is. I was pleasantly surprised to discover the faces of the moon. How did you come up with the idea? As a person who really loves the moon, I enjoyed this poem very much.
I really don't have a lot of negative things to say apart from the "i". You mostly use "i" instead of "I".
It really is a great poem,
MoonIris.

starlitmind says...

Thanks for the review! The "I" is a stylistic choice; I didn't capitalize it on purpose.

Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:01 am
Cow wrote a review...

The format is confusing to look at first but then it's really cool!

So, the poem. Wonderful. I like how, depending on the phase it corresponds to your mood or had little or less to say, fitting into the crescent that formed. I also loved that for the full moon it was just a circle, with you realizing what you may or may not need to do.

The new moon is just wonderful. You realize what you need to do to fix whatever is wrong, that you must take time to rebuild yourself.

- Cow

starlitmind says...

i don't need to search the stars to know myself
— soundofmind