Georgia Classics

by Spongebobgirl9

I hate this class. I swear if I have to hear Mr.Owens talk about his love issues , I am going to throw up. I am about to put my head on the desk, when Mr.Owens clears his throat. "  Class, we have a new student here today" He said boringly heading towards the door. The class watched as he attempted to gesture the new kid in but he/she would not budge. "She is just a little shy" He said  with annoyance in his voice.  "She........" I was pondering in my mind, when she walked finally in.    No freaking way.......Could it be?....... It is.......... Brynne Matthews was standing in front of the classroom looking down at the ground, beautiful as ever.  "What the hell are you doing here?" Claire Abbott almost screamed. "Umm, I ..." Brynne replied struggling for words. "Mrs.Abbott, you have detention," Mr.Owens said as he went towards his seat. Claire grew red and whispered to her friends around her, while Brynne still looked helpless in front of the classroom. It was time to take action. "Brynne, you can sit beside me if you want to" I said confidently looking at her. A smile adorned her face but before she could take one step, Claire looked at her "You seriously don't want to sit with a loser like him, do you?" Brynne stopped and processed the thought. She walked a step forward and continued until she sat beside me in another desk. You had ought to seen the look on Claire's face when Brynne did that. Priceless Kodak moment. I am still wrapped in the seat confrontation when I feel a light tap on my shoulder. I turn to see Brynne smiling at me. Geez even after five years away, Brynne still manages to speed up my heart. "Thank you for um uh the seat" She said while blushing. "No problem" I said watching my voice making sure I don't sound like an idiot. She just smiles even wider. Gosh.....does she even know how stunning she is? "Erm, Austin are you okay, you seem a little dazed" Brynne barely manages as she is giggling. I realize I am gawking at her. "Yeah, I'm fine" I say looking at her as the bell rings. Maybe Mr. Owens class will no longer be bad.

I hate this class. I swear if I have to hear Mr.Owens talk about his love issues , I am going to throw up. I am about to put my head on the desk, when Mr.Owens clears his throat. " Class, we have a new student here today" He said boringly heading towards the door. The class watched as he attempted to gesture the new kid in but he/she would not budge. "She is just a little shy" He said with annoyance in his voice. "She........" I was pondering in my mind, when she walked finally in. No freaking way.......Could it be?....... It is.......... Brynne Matthews was standing in front of the classroom looking down at the ground, beautiful as ever. "What the hell are you doing here?" Claire Abbott almost screamed. "Umm, I ..." Brynne replied struggling for words. "Mrs.Abbott, you have detention," Mr.Owens said as he went towards his seat. Claire grew red and whispered to her friends around her, while Brynne still looked helpless in front of the classroom. It was time to take action. "Brynne, you can sit beside me if you want to" I said confidently looking at her. A smile adorned her face but before she could take one step, Claire looked at her "You seriously don't want to sit with a loser like him, do you?" Brynne stopped and processed the thought. She walked a step forward and continued until she sat beside me in another desk. You had ought to seen the look on Claire's face when Brynne did that. Priceless Kodak moment. I am still wrapped in the seat confrontation when I feel a light tap on my shoulder. I turn to see Brynne smiling at me. Geez even after five years away, Brynne still manages to speed up my heart. "Thank you for um uh the seat" She said while blushing. "No problem" I said watching my voice making sure I don't sound like an idiot. She just smiles even wider. Gosh.....does she even know how stunning she is? "Erm, Austin are you okay, you seem a little dazed" Brynne barely manages as she is giggling. I realize I am gawking at her. "Yeah, I'm fine" I say looking at her as the bell rings. Maybe Mr. Owens class will no longer be bad.

Okayy...not terribly sure what this scene is meant to be here, as far as whether its some sort of prologue or a first chapter or something else entirely but as far as scenes go, this one seems to be a pretty good one here at first glance. It certainly was quite a wholesome little scene.

Getting right to this paragraph here, I'd say its a bit too big and cluttered here. There's too much happening in there for it all to just be one big paragraph, this is probably more suited to being around three paragraphs here judging from all the different things that end up happening. That would help smoothen the overall flow of the piece and make things even better.

Moving right past that, this was a pretty fun scene here, it looks like this protagonists former friend or crush I believe has come back after what appears to be quite a long time...and this scene follows the person discovering that. It certainly showcases a pretty wholesome moment of some bully I assume trying to discourage this person from sitting there but the person totally ignoring them...which certainly showcases despite the five year gap, they must've had a pretty strong friendship.

At any rate, this appears to be a pretty nice little scene here that I certainly enjoyed reading quite a bit. It seems like the sort of story that I would certainly read. :D

Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:57 pm
TeaLeaf wrote a review...

Hello. My name is TeaLeaf. I am going to review your piece.

First things first, as BookWolf has mentioned, your chapter looks as if it is one huge paragraph. This makes it difficult to follow and read the events. You need to split it up into smaller paragraphs so that it is easier to read. Each time a different person speaks, you need to start a new line and add a comma or a full-stop at the end of the dialogue. For example:

"Hey Taylor, I need to take a shower, get out!" I shouted through the locked door.

"Poor big brother, guess you will have to take a shower in the gym#FF0000 ">," she laughed annoyingly.

"Guess I won't give you a ride this morning#FF0000 ">,"

Another example:

"You are taking me to Bojangles#FF0000 ">," she said#FF0000 ">, while reaching over to my radio to a station I rarely listened to.

"I never said I was taking you to breakfast#FF0000 ">," I exclaimed while keeping my eyes on the road.

She started laughing.

"Austin, I meant for dinner not breakfast, duh."

Also, in this sentence:

"Hey Taylor, I need to take a shower, get out! #FF0000 ">," I shouted through the locked door.

You do not need the comma before the speech marks and you do not need the spaces between punctuation.

The chapter also moves too quickly and feels rushed. I suggest try fleshing it out more by adding descriptions of the characters and the surroundings to create a picture. What do the characters look like? What colour hair do they have? What colour(s) are their eyes? What does Austin's truck look like? etc. At the moment, I cannot build up an image of the surroundings nor of the characters.

- TeaLeaf

Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:03 am
BookWolf wrote a review...

Okay, THAT is very incorrect. It looks just like a huge block of text. You need to organize this in paragraphs and put periods or commas at the end of speech. I'm just going to completely rewrite this.

Did I really have to be late for school? Today was the last day I could be late before Mr. Jennings wrote me up for detention. But of course, Taylor had been hogging the bathroom all morning.

"Hey, Taylor! I need to take a shower, get out!" I shouted through the locked door.

"Poor big brother, I guess you will have to take a shower in the gym," she laughed annoyingly.

"I guess I won't give you a ride this morning." I was walking to my room when I heard the door unlock. I knew she would not refuse a ride to school.

As I got into this shower, I felt as if something important was going to happen today. I hopped out of the shower, threw some clothes on, and ran to my truck. Taylor was not far behind and jumped into the truck as well. I started my vehicle and began to drive.

"You are taking me to Bojangles," she said, while switching my radio to a station I rarely listened to.

"I never said I was taking you to breakfast!" I exclaimed, keeping my eyes on the road.

"Austin, I meant for dinner, not breakfast. Duh!"

I was about to protest, but I kept my mouth shut.

After twenty long minutes of cruel and unusual punishment of a hippie artist on the radio, I drove into the junior parking lot and came to a stop.

"Have a nice day and remember to pick me up for Bojangles!" Taylor yelled over her shoulder as she ran towards her friends.

All by myself, I sat in my stuck for a good fifteen minutes, listening to Maroon 5, before realizing I was about to be late for class again.

I leaped from my truck and raced into my school. I entered my classroom and found my seat in the back of the room just before the bell rang.

After the pledge of Allegiance, I noticed Mr. Jennings was late.

Everyone had been talking about their weekend when Mr. Jennings entered the classroom.

"Hello, class," he grumbled. He looked outside the door and seemed to gesture for someone to come in. "She is a little bit shy," he told his class softly, turning back to them.

I thought he might have gone crazy until I saw her. Brynne Matthews was standing right beside Mr. Jennings, staring down at the ground. Could this be a dream? I, Austin Robert Johnson, could actually have my dreams come true? The girl I basically fell for in kindergarten was here. But there was always seemed to be a little something to ruin my dreams; Claire Bennett seemed pissed that Brynne was here.

"What are you doing here?" she remarked loudly.

"I moved back here," Brynne replied quietly.

After the shy reply, Claire and her friends, including Jack, started laughing at Brynne.

Mr. Jennings was no help to Brynne's situation as he was asleep on his desk. Pathetic.

"Stop laughing I her!" I shout angrily, shocking even myself. "Brynne, you can sit beside me."

Brynne smiled and sat down next to me.

Claire and her friends looked disgusted.

Skipping all the mistakes though, it truly is a good story. :D And I have to say I am rather interested to read what happens next.

Keeping writing and keep me posted!

~BookWolf

You know that place between sleep and awake, that place where you still remember dreaming? That’s where I’ll always love you. That’s where I’ll be waiting.
— J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan