Hrex's Cockroach

by SoullessGinger

"That... that isn't fair! I did what I was supposed to!" Blood leaks from the carving on my hand, turning the sand beneath me a rusty brown. Tears refuse to fall as the fading summer sun reflects in Ennam's eyes, wide and empty like a dried-up well. I should feel something, shouldn't I? That's what happens when someone you love dies. 

The spirit laughed, a little surprised. "Dear, I said she could be saved. Not that I would save her once you followed my orders." 

"What do you mean? You saw me do it! I gave my soul, just like you asked! You promised." It wasn't fair. This wasn't justice. All that blood, all that pain, all that terrible hope- just for this facade of a deity to play tricks with me. It didn't make sense. In the end, that was what flipped on the feeling; it was wrong, it was unbalanced. My stomach turned, the tightness in my throat slamming into my gut, boiling away into something new. Rage surged through my skin, warmth returning to me. "Filthy immortal," I hissed. 

She blinked, then laughed in my face. "You are the one who came to me! One moment you're groveling on your knees like the insect you are, the next, this! Look at that, Rella, they've decided to grow a backbone." She shifted. The next thing I knew I was on the floor, my face stinging from the force of her blow. She snarled, her dainty sandaled foot pressing into my cheek. 

The figure standing beside her cocked its head, pushing back a purple hood to reveal another woman. I could tell she was looking down at me with nothing in her face from my position on the ground. A shapely face it was, but it kept changing. One moment I saw a dark-skinned beauty with endlessly starry eyes, the next the battle-worn face of an experienced warrior. Always with the same expression. Curiosity at Ennam's stillness, sympathy for my situation, and the indifferent understanding of a predator. Hrex twisted her foot sharply into my cheekbone.

"The little cockroach thinks they've got the right to speak to a goddess that way. Well, cockroach, speak all you want! In a century or so, you'll be dead, and I'll be drinking mead with Teia up in Rellforge. You're nothing! Replaceable a million times over. Fodder for our entertainment. A bug that makes a pretty color when smashed." She ground my head against the gravel before stepping off. 

My face was glowing red, embarrassment and fury coloring my cheeks. The paralyzing feeling of helplessness crept up my spine once more. I wanted to scream, an awful, human sound that would wake some old hero to enact vengeance and justice on these unfeeling immortals, and send a shock of fear through them. But I just stared, arms hanging uselessly at my sides. I was a fool and an insect to them, and I hated that it was true. I hated that I was too weak to have let go of Ennam all those years before, that I was naive enough to trust Hrex, too hopeful to think that immortals could ever remember what it was like to care. 

I couldn't hate them. They didn't understand. Or perhaps I didn't. I'm tired. It's been so long, such a long life, full of fighting and loving and screaming with all my might. When was the last time that I had looked at my life and felt content? I couldn't remember. I still felt so young, but the years had taken their toll on me. Ennam had long since been lost to the Farrow, and I had been alone for far too long. Hrex chuckled at my despair, her black eyes glittering like cruel dark gemstones. 

"I can't just let you get away with that, can I?" She asked, excitement coloring her voice an ugly crimson. She lifted her arm to the skies and spoke in her strange divine tongue, calling a shaft of black lightning from the storm brewing above us. The world slowed as I watched it arch through the sky towards me. I understood the meaning. I just wasn't sure if I cared enough to try and dodge it. Not that it would make a difference. An old warrior against the endless vigor of youth immortalized. It wouldn't go well. So I closed my eyes, waiting for the moment when I could join my sweet Ennam again. 

The moment never came. As the black lightning struck me down, I could feel the unnatural energy changing every piece of my being. It was horrific. My veins crackled and snapped, breaking like beetles' legs from so much of Hrex's magic and I screamed. My bones ripped through muscle and sinew, shrinking faster than my nerves could keep up with and hardening into armor within me. It was like breathing so much air I thought I'd explode and drowning in the very same instant. Like being stabbed everywhere by poisoned blunt blades and liquified in molten lead, flesh-ripping like tissue paper and spine cracking like the ground if tectonic plates decided to move at light speed. I didn't have a mouth to scream from anymore, and my eyes felt so horridly wrong. And then, it all stopped. Like it had never happened. 

I found myself staring up at the towering goddess. The world had grown! The sun beat down on my back, a thousand times bigger and hotter. The ground stretched in all directions, a merciless and empty desert. My bones had become my skin, and my insides swam and swirled like soup within me. I scuttled across the ground, but before I could find shelter, a gargantuan hand plucked me from my predicament. A gleeful Hrex stared at me with eyes as big as planets. "That's my little cockroach. Now you live in your truest form for the rest of eternity." She threw back her head and cackled before shoving my squirming, tiny body into her pocket. Whatever organ was throbbing in place of my heart sank deep into my insect abdomen. I would never see Ennam again. Not even in death. 

I then discovered the answer to a question I had asked many times as a child when my brothers would pull the legs off unsuspecting insects and I would cry for the poor fellows. "Can the crawlies hurt too, Ma? Do they cry for their legs?" And Ma would sigh, and say, "I don't know, sweet, but I wish they'd leave the dears alone."

The crawlies can indeed cry, Ma. And I found out in the worst way possible. 

Hi SoullessGinger,

You wrote a great chapter. I like how you manage to show an interesting juxtaposition here, which is one part mythology - in my eyes - and one part prose. It's definitely a unique work, as in the first chapter.

Here are some things that struck me while reading:

All that blood, all that pain, all that terrible hope- just for this facade of a deity to play tricks with me.

This is such an emotional and well-written sentence. I say here, as a representative of the rest of the text, that you manage to make the reader empathise with how the narrator feels. You do it very well.

My stomach turned, the tightness in my throat slamming into my stomach, boiling away into something new.

I would replace the second "stomach" here in the sentence. Either with "insides" or " gut". Otherwise it seems strange to read "stomach" twice in the sentence.

My bones ripped through muscle and sinew, shrinking faster than my nerves could keep up with and hardening into armor within me.

In general, you did a wonderful job of describing the transformation. I picked out the sentence because I like it the most (and it sounds the most painful.) :D

Whatever organ was throbbing in place of my heart sank deep into my insect abdomen

Love this little detail of insect anatomy. :D

This ending is so frustrating for the narrator. It already makes me angry and hope he manages to get his revenge.

Wow. The chapter was a merry-go-round of many different emotions that led to everything mixing together into an opaque mush. One can only sympathise with how it feels for the narrator.

You manage to build up excellent tension. You demonstrate how to write a dramatic and epic chapter that is packed with this "initial unfairness that happens to the main protagonist". I fervently hope that everything will still end well.

Your reading flow was very good. Combined with all the different feelings and thoughts you present here, it was a great pleasure to read the story. Some of your descriptions are so detailed that they give me goosebumps and I have the impression that you experienced it all. :D

Since I assume that this chapter two is connected to the first chapter, I found it a bit difficult to find a transition. Unlike the previous chapter, where you manage to bring out a very poetic and lyrical text that seems cryptic at times, here you managed to keep your style without losing anything in it.

The only point of criticism, if you consider it one at all, is the question of what the story will be called in general. Since you only present the chapter with its name, it can be a bit difficult to follow the story, especially for newcomers.

I like your portrayal between goddess and mortal. My impression stuck there. You managed to bring out something mystical without it seeming too old-fashioned.

Enjoy the writing!

Mailice.

Wed May 19, 2021 10:44 am

First Impression: Hmm...this was quite a fun little story here...well..not exactly fun...but just pretty well written xD...well anyway more details on all of that down below.

Well...that is quite a start there...oh wow...getting right to it with the death of a loved one see and what looks like a broken promise...all very intriguing things to start a chapter off on.

"What do you mean? You saw me do it! I gave my soul, just like you asked! You promised." It wasn't fair. This wasn't justice. All that blood, all that pain, all that terrible hope- just for this facade of a deity to play tricks with me. It didn't make sense. In the end, that was what flipped on the feeling; it was wrong, it was unbalanced. My stomach turned, the tightness in my throat slamming into my stomach, boiling away into something new. Rage surged through my skin, warmth returning to me. "Filthy immortal," I hissed.

Oh well...that does happen...these immortals do sometimes love to twist their words around all over the place...you really do need a lawyer of some sort if you're strike deals involving soul selling cause you're very open to scams like this...

Or yeah...that can happen...just up and threatening an immortal is definitely not the way to go...and they're finding that out first hand I see.

Hmm...well that's some really nice description there....definitely capturing that this is a being that's beyond a mere mortal with that one...and yeah...just a pretty neat visual there.

Well...that one went full goddess there not gonna lie....I mean its all true...immortals do be like that...insulting one is generally considered a terrible idea mostly cause of situations like this...and ehh....its just how it is.

Well...that definitely seems like its a very appropriate reaction there...I love how he does refer to the hero charging in for vengeance but common sense prevails here in this story as he realized the immortals are right in this sense and he really is helpless. Its a sad set of realizations but also very true and very realistic which is the best part about this.

Well...he's having some terrible revelations there right now...oh dear...well it certainly seems like it is quite a sad life to have led there..at least for his final few years...almost seems like he's trying to come to terms with having to end his life at this point.

Well that was good time...it appears as if he's about to get stricken with a terrible punishment here although I highly doubt he will be killed...oh no...immortals know better than to unite loved ones by killing them...pretty sure she's just gonna curse him somehow.

Oh wow...that is truly horrifying description right there...you're definitely going to cringe in sympathy reading through that particular one...phew...that sounded like it was quite a terrible curse that one...oh dear...well let's see what actually happened here.

Well there we go...immortals know better than to let mortals die and reunite with their loved ones...well...being a cockroach for eternity certainly sounds like one of the worst predicaments you could ever find yourself in. Also this is a pretty nice little description here as they realize just how terrible the situation is.

Wow...that is a powerful ending right there....ironic that it should happen to the one person that showed sympathy to the crawlies...oh well...that's what happens when you threaten the wrong immortal I guess.

Overall: Overall this was a really nice story to read. You do a wonderful job capturing the emotions of our protagonist here as everything plays out and then the descriptions of those transformations especially were just really good.

Thank you so much for the review! (which, being yours, was of course fun to read) And yeah, I'm really glad you enjoyed it, and that my goals showed through. I'm using this series to target different aspects of my writing, just for practice, and this was a challenge to see how well I could describe what the protagonist was feeling, emotionally and physically.

KateHardy says...

You're Welcome (xD...I'm glad you enjoy reading it)

Oooh...well looking forward to reviewing a few more parts then. :D

There are some things you can't share without ending up liking each other, and knocking out a twelve-foot mountain troll is one of them.
— J.K. Rowling