Prologue and Ch. 1 (part 1) - The Spirits

by Sophia_x

Prologue

No one said life was easy. Of course it wasn’t otherwise people wouldn’t keep dying of poverty, there would be no gun crime and there would be a lower rate of unemployed. But life is hard. I learnt that a long time ago. I learnt that hoping can destroy you; I learnt that loving can get your heart broken; I learnt that forgiving can be a mistake and I learnt that not giving up can ruin everything. Yet I still hoped, I still loved, I still forgave and I never gave up. That’s probably why I was chained with metal cuffs around my wrists and blood trickling down my cheek. That’s probably why my body was bruised blue and my heart tight with fear. I had done all the things I had learnt never to do and it had brought me to my death. And while I realised I was going to die I also realised I didn’t regret doing those things one bit – because those things brought me to that town. The town that was full of amazing people, hidden secrets and interwoven destinies. That town that changed my life.

Forever.

1. Gone

My mother was dead.

Even as the words kept swimming over me none seemed to sink in. I just sat there, my body as numb as my heart as the sympathetic policeman kept relaying the same story over and over again but my unresponsive mind caught only snippets. Car crash. Accident. So sudden. Nothing could be done. Dead. Dead. Dead. His voice was like a record that kept getting stuck, repeating the lines until they would forever be imprinted into my brain, into my heart.

I sat on the sofa, my unresponsive face did not seem to matter as much to the policeman compared to my brother’s sudden anger fuelled escape through the door and my father’s tense rocking. I just sat there, unable to comprehend the situation. She couldn’t be dead. She couldn’t have gone. My mother wouldn’t do that, she wouldn’t leave without saying goodbye and while I knew it had been no one’s fault on either side I still had the selfish idea that she could have somehow been with me before she went. Before she left forever. It was such a long time. And then, finally, a single tear trickled down my face. A harsh, heartfelt tear that managed to signify my painful loss in one wet track down my cheek.

The policeman finally left and I was grateful for it; to me he was an onlooker to this family’s pain. I tried to breathe but my chest felt tight, my heart strings pulling hard as they threatened to break under the grief my mother’s death had caused. She wasn’t allowed to go. How could she do this? Her presence that had been so constant, that we had taken it for granted, had now been wiped out of our lives, a crack that would begin to show.

Dad rocked to his feet suddenly, his expression one of emotional detachment as the news of his wife’s passing consumed him. I didn’t try to stop him as he made his silent departure, his feet creating loud thuds as they ascended the stairs. I waited until I had heard his bedroom door shut before I stumbled from the sofa and went the only haven that could sooth the sea of pain I felt – my room. I collapsed on my bed, curling into a ball.

Mum. I wanted her to hold me so much; I wanted her protecting arms to encircle me as her soft voice would sing me to sleep. But it didn’t come. Tears poured down my cheeks, whispering of everything I was too scared to say out loud. I was frightened – frightened of a world that was now so dead, so grey, so dark without the light that I realised had been the presence that was my rock and my heart.

My mother was dead.

My hands gripped my covers tight as my pillow became damp with my sobs that I tried to muffle but couldn’t seem to quieten. She was gone. The person, who had held my hand, stroked my hair, kissed my cheek, scared away the monsters under my bed and listened to the pathetic problems I had once found life threatening, was gone. And she wasn’t coming back. My body moved as it was racked with cries and as I wept for my loss I felt my eye lids close and my breathing quieten.

That night was the beginning of many when I would cry myself to sleep.

Please comment as well as read :) Thanks

Sophia_x says...

thanks guys :) your comments have been well noted and i am making the corrections now. I didn't realise there were so many mistakes *blushes* :wink:
thanks again, it was really helpful!
see ya around

x

Caligula's Launderette wrote a review...

Hey, honey. So here's my spiel. If you don't understand my handwriting/scrawl or anything else needs to be clarified, please do not hesitate to PM or poke me.

1. The father's face.

I would like to see what the father's face looks like in showing language because it seems like such an important instant, as he besides the narrator and the brother is the only live person so far in the narrative.

Hope this helps.

Ta,
Cal.

Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:10 am
napalmerski wrote a review...

Yo,
nice story beginning, nice prologue. Althought the prologue should be about twice as big.
Prologues and choice of words is entirely up to you as he author and no prevalent fashion should dictate how you use these intruments. Either you can swing it or you can't. And since you are currently not writing a book for publication to meet a deadline, but are experimenting with your style in order to hone it - continue doing what you are doing. This is 'practice writing', so don't conform to anyone or anything, charactes, plots, tenses - do what you want, as long as, as said before, you can swing it.
Now here are is my advice concerning sentences and overal structure of your prose.

1. That’s probably why I was chained with metal cuffs around my wrists and blood trickling down my cheek.- 'and had blood trickling', or 'and blood trickled', or 'metal cuffs around my wrists, blood trickling'

2. I just sat there, my body as numb as my heart as the sympathetic policeman - count how many 'as' you have in this sentence and try to get rid of some

3. His voice was like a record that kept getting stuck, repeating the lines until they would forever be imprinted into my brain, into my heart. - Like a broken record; imprinting them forever into my...

4. repetition of presentation of protagonist - my unresponsive mind; my unresponsive face

5. A harsh, heartfelt tear that managed to signify my painful loss - or rather the pain of my loss

6. Her presence that had been so constant, that we had taken it for granted, had now been wiped out of our lives, a crack that would begin to show - to show when? 'soon'? 'already showing?'; also not 'wiped out', something like 'erased' or 'eradicated'

7. Repetition in description of protagonist's father - my father’s tense rocking; Dad rocked to his feet suddenly - he rocks too much:)

8. Description creating the impression of logical contradiction - as he made his silent departure, his feet creating loud thuds - not very silent departure, is it?

9. That night was the beginning of many when I would cry myself to sleep - 'the first of many'

I hope that helped, good luck with the continuation of this story.

Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:27 am
Jianfre wrote a review...

You have a lot of bad word choices words in here, 'learnt' and 'quieten' are also bad. My browser even recognizes the former as such. The prologue piece is not needed here, do not make a prologue when Chapter 1 is what you want to start with. This story does not need a prologue, nor do any stories here really TRULY need one.

A prologue has to explain something that MUST be said to understand not just chapter 1, but any piece of the story. Not for history, past events or info dump, it must serve a purpose.

See: http://limyaael.livejournal.com/146318.html
P.S. Limyaael's rants should be highly noted because they speak the truth about almost all writings. Read them all and take them to heart if you want to write better. I know I did.

Half goat, half fish, all goatfish.
— OSP Red