Home » Literary works » Short Story » Literature

Depression

by Sophellie

Imagine being stuck in a dim room, with four blank walls constantly staring down at you. There's just enough light for you to make out these walls, and it is impossible to tell whether there is a door or window. You are left with no hope, for the light is not a comfort to you, rather a reminder that you are stuck. The pain thickens as it is all you have, and you feel as if you are going insane. The only distraction is more pain, and so you feed yourself more pain. The blood is a distraction, and even though it stings, it's something better than the thoughts that constantly haunt you; Why am I here? Will I get out? Is it going to be better? And now, just as you realize you can finally get out of all of the pain and go into an endless, peaceful sleep, the light gets a bit brighter. You are fed a little bit of hope, you discover that maybe there's more to this room that you guessed. You find a door, and you have the key. You're running to the door, but then the light dims and the key is gone. You are left starving again.

Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:57 pm
StoryWeaver13 wrote a review...

*sighh* Another poem about depression...how depressing...

This was actually written relatively well, but the subject is most definitely beaten dead and dragged too far. We just hear this stuff all the time, so in my opinion the topic of depression has just become a little cliche and over-worn (even though it's still a relevant issue). Your writing isn't too shabby, but try to really make topics like this your own, or otherwise avoid them. They're really hard to write about without making them sound over-done and teenage-angst-y.

In any case, keep writing!

Sophellie says...

Ah, I agree 110%. Depression is written about far too often, and the idea of doing this made me want to just die. A good friend was curious to know what it's like, though, and she wanted to hear it from somebody she trusts, and so I did the best I could.
Thanks! c:

Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:37 am
Blift wrote a review...

I hope this is a metaphor rather than a literal room. I'm thinking that this room is actually life.

I saw the title "Depression" and that's what i'm going through now so I decided to check it out.

Sophellie says...

Ah, you are spot on. An actual room would be awful. >-<
Good luck with your depression, if you ever need to talk with anybody who knows what you're going through, I'm here. c:

Never use your shield as a dinner plate, for that is when the enemy is most likely to attack.
— The KotGR Commander