Dreams of Stars Chapter 32 (Once Upon a Time)

by Songmorning

Time dragged on in Cinderella’s pantry, and Kaelin found that she couldn’t keep track of how long it had been. Before long, she began to feel useless to Cinderella too. Yes, she was there and she could sew a bit, but the abuses of the stepmother and stepsisters were relentless. Kaelin felt helpless to do anything about it, but that—that was surely what Cinderella needed to escape from. Having an understanding friend wasn’t enough. If things went on like this, her soul would still be crushed.

Of course, Kaelin didn’t transfer her discouragement about herself to Gus, and she didn’t speak of it either. Gus seemed invulnerable to any discouragement, and he still knew how to make Cinderella laugh. He was surely more help than she was. Though Kaelin began telling herself that she was worthless, she couldn’t bring herself to think the same thing about Gus—despite the fact that Gus couldn’t get Cinderella out of here either.

The need to find a way for Cinderella to escape this horrible place became a desperate, continual longing in Kaelin’s gut—like her mouse’s need to gnaw on something. She began to look for ways. But what ways were there? Cinderella could simply run away and try to live on her own, but she had tried that once before, and her stepmother had sent men to bring her back. It had been a terrifying experience for her. Once, Kaelin had suggested that Cinderella might wish to become an animal too, but Cinderella didn’t want that. Becoming an animal, she had decided, was the one thing worse than remaining here. Cinderella had always dreamed of finding true love. It was one of the reasons she wanted out. She felt that, if she became an animal like Kaelin, that dream could never happen.

Kaelin hadn’t thought of that. While she was in the orphanage, she had been too absorbed in waiting for the return of a cricket to think about finding true love. It hadn’t been a factor for her then, and it still wasn’t. Cinderella, on the other hand, would always watch the fireworks from the palace on the hill and dream of finding her own prince. It didn’t have to be a literal prince, of course. Just someone for her to love. Perhaps that person—wherever he was—could be her escape.

During her time with Cinderella, Kaelin had started on a regular schedule for seeing Jiminy. She had discovered how to hitch a ride on a merchant’s cart to travel from Cinderella’s village to Geppetto’s, and that ride only took a day. Every other month, then, Kaelin went to spend a day at Geppetto’s workshop, and in the months in between, Jiminy came to see her. It kept her from having to miss him too much, and she was able to keep up to date on how Pinocchio was doing.

Though Pinocchio seemed to become continually more wild and naughty, Jiminy was surprisingly less discouraged every time Kaelin saw him. Jiminy was becoming calmer and more sure of himself. His character and his understanding of life were deepening beautifully. Kaelin felt that this was from his friendship with Geppetto. Ever since Jiminy had achieved what was most important to him, he had been flourishing under this newfound freedom of forgiveness. Even Pinocchio’s constant failure to listen to his conscience couldn’t overcome the encouragement Jiminy had from being forgiven.

One month, however, Jiminy didn’t come to Cinderella’s house. Worried about him, Kaelin headed off for the workshop on the first day of the following month. When she arrived, there was no sign of anyone. Her heart pounding, Kaelin scrambled all through the house, looking behind every beautifully-carved toy, trinket, or piece of furniture in the workshop and store. “Jiminy!” she called, “Geppetto! Pinocchio!” There was no one there.

Calm down… she told herself, They may just be on an outing. Perhaps they’ve gone to the olive groves. Yes, perhaps Geppetto wanted to take little Pinocchio to see the silver olive trees. She curled up beside the door and waited the rest of the day for them to return. No one came.

Distressed, Kaelin stepped out into the night and looked out across the sea. There was a tall, grassy hill sloping down from Geppetto’s workshop with broken, stone stairs leading to the shore. The beach was made of chipped, gray stones, and there were rock islands just off the coast with pine trees growing on them. A cold breeze blew up from the darkened waters, making Kaelin shiver. “Where are they?” she whispered.

“Kaelin…” said a voice from behind her. She turned around. It was Nova.

“Do you know where they are?” Kaelin asked, tears coming to her eyes.

Nova nodded, but the worry in her face was frightening. “They’re gone,” she replied, “N-not dead, but…somewhere dangerous. Pinocchio was tricked. He was enticed to a place called ‘Pleasure Island’, and Jiminy went with him to try to convince him to change his mind. When Geppetto found out they were gone, he sailed out to find them.”

“But they’ll be all right, won’t they?” Kaelin pressed, “They won’t die?”

“I don’t know,” Nova said, shaking her head quickly, “I only hope they’ll be all right. As I said, it’s dangerous. I don’t know much about this Pleasure Island, but I do know it’s not what it seems.”

“What should I do?” Kaelin pleaded, frightened, “Should I go after them?”

“I don’t know how you can,” Nova said regretfully, “I think the only thing you can do for now is go back to Cinderella.”

Kaelin bit her lip. Nova was right. There was nothing she could do. Early the next morning, she took the first merchant’s cart back to Cinderella’s town. Fear for them churned in her stomach—fear especially, she had to admit, for Jiminy. He was in danger. What would she do if he died?

When she returned to Cinderella’s house the morning after, however, Kaelin was immediately caught up in a whirl of excitement. There would be a royal ball tomorrow evening—a ball to see who would have the prince’s hand in marriage! Cinderella’s two stepsisters were nagging her more than ever. She had to make sure their dresses were clean and perfect for the ball, and that everything was in place. Of course, when no one was looking, Gus would be the one making sure the dresses were in tip-top shape. It was his specialty.

Cinderella wanted to go to the ball more than anything. “If I could go,” she whispered to Kaelin, “I might meet my true love there. I know it’s…a silly, girlish notion…But you meet people at balls. Maybe one of them will love me and take me far away. If only I could go!”

In fact, Cinderella wished so much to go to the ball, she even managed to work up the courage to ask her stepmother. Upon hearing the timidly stated idea, the stepmother flew into a rage. “You? You want to go to the ball?” she demanded, “And in what? Those rags? Aren’t you even thinking, girl? You need to have a nice dress to attend a ball! You at least need to be clean, and you can’t even do that! Don’t bother me!”

The tone of the stepmother’s explosion had been so horribly familiar to Kaelin that she wanted to run away and curl up in a corner, but instead she listened. The stepmother hadn’t simply forbade Cinderella to go. Instead, she had basically said it would be impossible on account of her lack of a nice dress. The stepmother probably hadn’t meant she would let Cinderella go even if she did have a dress, but Kaelin saw a glimmer of hope nonetheless. She ran to find Gus.

Upon hearing Kaelin’s excitedly whispered plan, Gus looked at her aghast. “What? You want us to make a dress for her? In one night? You’re crazy, Kaelin.”

“Yes, but…it might give her a chance,” Kaelin urged, “You’re great at making clothes. You helped me make that outfit for Jiminy.”

“I helped you make a cricket-sized outfit,” Gus pointed out, “What you’re talking about is a full-scale, human-sized project. In one night.”

Kaelin lowered her head, embarrassed. “You’re right, I’m being ridiculous,” she mumbled, “Sorry. I just…wanted to give her a chance…” She began to turn away.

“Wait, I didn’t say we weren’t going to try it,” Gus said hurriedly, catching her shoulder and making her face him again, “I said it was crazy. And that...is what makes it a challenge.” He grinned. “It’s a challenge I’m up for. You give up too easily, Kaelin.”

Kaelin smiled in surprise. “You mean…we’re going to try it?”

“It’s probably going to end horribly, but we are,” Gus replied with a grin, “Now, where can we get some fabric? Those dresses the stepsisters plan to wear are ghastly—way over the top. Ours will charm with simplicity.”

Kaelin stared at him in amazement. This kind of attitude was foreign to her, but she liked it. It’s probably going to end horribly, but we’ll do it… She wished she could have that kind of attitude. Well, for now, she’d just follow in Gus’s pawsteps.

Though night had not yet fallen, Gus and Kaelin crept through the house, keeping hidden and scouting out the materials they would need. There was a sewing room in the house where the torn clothes were repaired. Most of what they needed was in that room, including a roll of pale pink silk. Gus seemed to have no qualms about using it, and though Kaelin was worried, she didn’t voice her concerns. Aside from that, Gus decided they needed pearls, perhaps, and a ribbon—not an elaborate ribbon, but just a thin, plain one. These they snuck from the stepsisters’ rooms. “Look, they have so much, they won’t notice a few missing,” Gus said.

After everyone was asleep, including Cinderella, they set to work. They worked tirelessly, cutting out patterns and cloth, stitching, aligning edges, cinching. Slowly, surely, the dress came together: a lovely, simple, pink silk dress: tight around the waist but not too frilly, and not too bold. Once it was done, Gus pulled the pearls off their string and had Kaelin sew them in a pattern on the front of the dress while he took the gold ribbon and wove it through the waist so that it could be tied in the back. It was beautiful. “You see?” Gus said proudly as they stepped back to survey their work, “If anything can get Cinderella to that ball, this can.”

~~~

Early the next morning, when Cinderella woke up, Gus and Kaelin eagerly led her to the sewing room where the dress was laid out on the floor. She could hardly believe her eyes. “You made this?” she whispered, “For me?”

“Yes, so you can go to the ball,” Kaelin replied.

“But…” Tears came to Cinderella’s blue eyes, and she blinked them away hurriedly. “I can’t. She said I needed to be clean too—I…I could never fit in at a ball.”

“Well, then, wash yourself up,” Gus told her, “Before they wake up. Get as clean as you can, put on the dress, and impress them. They can’t refuse after they see that.”

Cinderella shook her head fearfully, but she decided it was worth a try. She drew water and took a bath, making sure she cleaned her face particularly thoroughly. Then she put on the dress. While she prepared, Gus and Kaelin did what they could of her morning chores. She was still able to finish preparing breakfast before the stepmother and stepsisters woke up—there was no need for them to know that mice had sliced the apples and scooped oats into the pot with their paws.

When her stepmother and stepsisters came into the kitchen, Cinderella calmed her trembling as best she could and turned to them gracefully with a smile. They stopped when they saw her, momentarily speechless with astonishment.

“What is this?” her stepmother whispered, looking her up and down.

“You told me…I needed to be able to present myself well to go to the ball,” Cinderella replied levelly, “I will finish all my work for today. I promise. I won’t bother you. I won’t let anyone know I’m with you. I won’t cause any trouble. Just…let me ride along. Please.”

“And where did you get that dress?” the stepmother asked coldly.

This time, an involuntary tremor shook Cinderella. “I…made it,” she replied softly.

“Yes, with my ribbon!” spat one of the stepsisters, shoving past her mother and tearing the gold ribbon from around Cinderella’s waist.

“And my pearls!” shrieked the other, “You beast! You tore apart my string of pearls!” She grabbed at the neck of Cinderella’s dress and ripped it, managing to pull off several of the pearls in the process.

“And you stole the material, you wench!” the stepmother exclaimed in horror. She seized Cinderella’s skirt and tore it as well. “I can’t believe you! Unbelievable! Not only are you lazy and stupid, you’re also a thief! Why should I ever let you attend the ball after this? No! You will be punished for this, young lady!”

Kaelin choked on a sob. Pressing a paw over her mouth, she turned and fled. She couldn’t watch. This was all her own fault. If she had never suggested making that dress, this wouldn’t be happening to Cinderella. Things were so much worse for Cinderella now—because of her! She should have known this would happen, should have seen the warning signs. It reminded her of when she had bitten through the strings of Francesco’s puppets. Whatever idea she had, whenever she tried to help someone, she was wrong. She only ended up hurting them in the end.

~~~

Later that night, Rumpelstiltskin accomplished what Gus and Kaelin could not: getting Cinderella to the ball. With a wave of what used to be her fairy godmother’s wand, he clothed her in a beautiful, blue ball gown, lovelier than anything Gus and Kaelin ever could have made. Then he turned the two mice into horses (thankfully not recognizing either of them), and he turned a pumpkin into an elegant carriage for them to pull—an interesting experience, to say the least. At midnight, they changed back, but by then Cinderella had met her prince—the king’s son himself, Prince Thomas. The very next day, he came looking for her, and they were engaged. Cinderella left her stepmother and stepsisters behind, taking Gus and Kaelin with her to the palace.

However, at the palace, all Kaelin could think about was whether Jiminy, Geppetto, and Pinocchio were safe. Ella was free now. Her dreams were coming true. Did she truly need Kaelin anymore? At night, Kaelin Mouse went to the window and called softly for Nova. After speaking to the Blue Fairy, Nova told Kaelin it was all right for her to go back home. The next morning, Kaelin said goodbye to Ella and Gus, and she traveled back to the workshop. Yet when she arrived, there was still no one there.

Aley wrote a review...

Yo!

This is the second chapter of this I'm reviewing. Personally, I don't like the way that this skips from past to present with this chapter. I'm guessing you're doing the thing the show does where you go from one sequence of events in the past to something that replicates it in the future, but I think you've missed the plot a little bit here.

This doesn't really inform us about any new information to enlighten us about the future events. The future events seem to be pretty wrapped up in themselves. Now if you had been writing about Jiminy on Pleasure Island and how he made some scandalous deal which later resulted in a possible reason he's dead, I could see how that relates, but this? I'm not sure I see how this relates. Yes, we have our two lovers, but we don't even actually see them together in this chapter at all. Any time they're together, you glaze over it like it's unimportant. I sort of feel like the whole chapter is that way aside from one thing: Gus and Kaelin making the dress. So, what's so important about the dress? Or are you just torturing your character?

Now, I will engage in a good amount of emotional trauma with my character as the next guy, but this chapter really feels like it's going over the top with it. I sort of see emotional stress and tension like a plane ride in novels. You need lift in order to scare the crap out of people by plummeting them to the ground. If you actually hit the ground, you're going to be relieving everything because it's over, no more stuff to worry about, so I feel like you don't quite have the lift down in order to take this sort of plunge. The last chapter, you killed her lover. This chapter, you killed her lover. I mean, not literally, we know he gets away from the island, but for her, you killed him. I'm not really seeing any moments where she's learning anything or developing as a character, she's just in a free fall.

Anyway! Onto the next Storybook scene.

Sat May 07, 2016 4:02 am
Evander wrote a review...

Hey! I'm back for a quick review.

I'm in a jittery state right now, since I'm kinda worried about Jiminy. In both the Storybrooke and the Enchanted Forest worlds, so thanks a lot for that. :P I'll address a lot of my main concerns surrounding that in later parts of the review, so let's get most of the usual stuff out of the way.

As I usually say, I am hoping for some more description. While what you have is fine for the general setting, I feel like most of the emotions and the character interaction would be displayed a lot better if there was some more detail about their movement or more specific things regarding facial expression. (So instead of saying "she frowned", it'd be "her beady eyes with disapproval, the pinkish outline of her lips tugging into a frown". While that isn't needed every single time and it can get a little bit tedious after a while [I'm suggesting this in moderation, of course], it probably would be good with reminding the reader through actions that Kaelin is indeed a mouse.) I also guess the same thing could be said for the rest of the characters and movements. For example, I wouldn't mind going more in depth with how emotion was expressed on Cinderella's face.

On the topic of detail, while it is discussed that Cinderella is dirty, it is never really shown outright. This chapter would probably be a good place to show that, especially since she's washing up and getting clean. Perhaps a reaction or few brief sentences about the difference between her with ashes, soot, and grime compared to after she cleaned up for the ball. Or maybe going back an adding stuff about how Kaelin could see the dirt embedded underneath Cinderella's nails when Cinderella picked her up. Little things like that go a long way when trying to express transformation.

While this may mostly be my fault, I never really envisioned her as actually being dirty? It is certainly possible that it was mentioned briefly a few chapters back, but it's easy to forget that with Storybrooke chapters being in between the ones with the Enchanted Forest. (I may or may not have talked about the breaking of the immersion built up, but it isn't really a big issue.) However, I do have the Disney-fied Cinderella version in my mind, so that may be where the fault lies.

She grabbed at the neck of Cinderella’s dress and ripped it, managing to pull off several of the pearls in the process.

There's nothing wrong with this description here. I just fee like it might be a bit better if we saw Kaelin's emotional reaction in those lines, instead of down the line. She might just be an observer to that scene, but she still put time and effort into that dress and she's Cinderella's friend.

Alright! Time to address the point I mentioned in the first paragraph of this review. So it's said that Jiminy and Geppetto have reconciled, so I'm wondering about the reunion that goes on in chapter 21? That seemed to have been played off like Geppetto hadn't previously forgiven Jiminy. Hopefully that will be cleared up!

As I've said before, this novel feels like it's going too fast. This chapter proves it. Entire paragraphs of important and necessary information was summed up, for what seems to be the sake of chapter length or maybe getting back to Storybrooke.

That's what I have to say this chapter! I hope that you keep on writing!

~Adrian, Knight of RED

She conquered her demons and wore her scars like wings.
— Atticus