Home » Literary works » Article / Essay » Review

The Screwtape Letters - C.S. Lewis

by Snoink

Book: The Screwtape Letters

Author: C.S. Lewis

Genre: Christian

Rating: 10/10

Everyone knows that C.S. Lewis wrote Narnia, but how many people know that he wrote other books for adults?

This is one of the really really good ones. While sometimes when I read Narnia, I put it down and I'm not worried, The Screwtape Letters are absolutely entrancing. There's not really any character. Nor is there any real plot. But that doesn't matter because of the artful skilled way C.S. Lewis wrote this.

What is it about?

Demons exist. No, they aren't the little red devils with pitchforks in their hands, cackling madly. They're worse. They are politicians, unseen by us. They appear, in every sense, logical. But they aren't.

This is a collection of letters from a senior demon (affectionately known as Uncle Screwtape) to Wormwood, a junior demon assigned to this young man. Screwtape instructs Wormwood how to destroy a man's life and isolate him completely from "The Enemy" (God) through the use of cunning and twisted methods.

This book is delightfully twisted, but eerie at the same time. Once more, this will make you look at your own life with a new perspective and maybe even change it. Christians will love this -- I'm not sure about atheists.

10/10

Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:06 am
Kepe says...

I love Lewis! The Screwtape Letters were what I wish every theological book were like: witty and well written. I can't wait to meet Lewis one day; I want to ask him how he thought of these things.

Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:34 am
gyrfalcon wrote a review...

What a brilliantly rounded man Lewis must have been: I would have loved to meet him.

*smug* It just totally crashed on me, about a month ago, that I'll get to (in heaven, of course). Yeah, still haven't stopped geeking out about that.

alleycat13 wrote a review...

Yay! I'm currently rereading this book! Well, I read it end to end straight through once, and now I just flip it open and see where I land. It's fun that way.

I would definitely call this book satire first and then theology, but just barely. Looking at damnation from a devil's point of view really make you think. It's the best way to see your own flaws.

backgroundbob wrote a review...

I noted my comment earlier on, and I'd just like to add to the mix Reflections on the Psalms by the same author. For anyone who has ever had any interest in the Bible, whether for religious purposes or just literary interest, it's a spectacular read, at once entertaining, instructive and reflective. What a brilliantly rounded man Lewis must have been: I would have loved to meet him.

Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:48 am
gyrfalcon says...

Lol, I'm sure he's made his mistakes in his time, darling.

Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:38 am
NewWriter wrote a review...

Oh yeah. This is a totally great book. I love the way Lewis makes it sound like a devil is actually speaking. This is one of my favorites.

A quote I intend to put in my senior page is: "Never having been human (Oh, that abominable advantage of the Enemy's!)..." I nearly split my sides laughing every time I read it.

And can anyone tell me how Screwtape knows what it's like when a demon loses a soul--since Screwtape is obviously still around, he's never lost one himself. So how the heck does he know?!?! Gaahhh! that bugs me. :D

Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:57 am
Adnamarine wrote a review...

Definately a great book. Interesting and humorous at times.
I remember before I read it a long time ago, we were going on a long trip in the car and we always take books on tape. Well, we brought this book, and me and my sister were in the back, not listening, reading other books. Then all of a sudden we hear him yell, "She makes me vomit!" It was hysterical! We were both laughing very hard. Then I had to read it:)

Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:13 pm
Areida wrote a review...

The first timeI read Till We Have Faces, I actually disliked it because I didn't get it. The second time I loved it, and even though I didn't really understand everything, I knew I had read something completely amazing. The third time I had more of an opportunity to discuss and explore more options, to really delve into it and spend more time studying the book.

So right now it's my favorite Lewis book. Till We Have Faces is incredible.

Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:50 pm
backgroundbob wrote a review...

Spectacular, one of the most entertaining and thought-provoking Christian-themed books I've ever read.

Of course, there's plenty more that's just as amazing by Lewis; Mere Christianity and Till We Have Faces are two of the most absorbing books you're likely to come across, if you're willing to put in the effort.

Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:22 am
gyrfalcon wrote a review...

I agree with Shafter about reading that book in long sittings--not really...healthy, but maybe that's just the way it is with Christians. Awesome book though! I got it on audio before I read it, and the reader had this fantastic, steady, deep, perfectly-accented voice. Deffinately a 10/10!

Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:25 am
Shafter wrote a review...

C.S Lewis wrote to... someone, can't remember offhand, and commented that it was the easiest and the hardest book he ever wrote. Easy to actually write, and hard on his soul.
I feel the same way about it. I identify so strongly with Screwtape's "patient," but reading it too long makes me feel rather disturbed. ;)
Great book.

Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:20 am
Sage says...

Ah, wonderful book!
It fascinated me even before I was a Christian; I wonder how hard that was, writing from inside a demon's head? *twitch*
Then again, I bet it was scarily easy.

Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:16 am
Doctor Kitty says...

Read this a few months ago. Pure genius, I think.

It was a little hard to follow, though I enjoyed it. I loved the way Screwtape's 'personality' and 'attitude' had changed by the end.

Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:50 am
hellstrife wrote a review...

This is definitely my favorite work by CS Lewis. The Chronicles of Narnia are just ok, but this is one of the greatest modern theological books. Somewhat ironically, I would place this near The Satanic Bible and Thus Spake Zarathustra at the top of my list of philosophical books. Great stuff. I don't agree with a lot of it, but its really thought-provoking and interesting.

Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:04 pm
Poor Imp says...

It's a brilliant book. ^_^

And the genre oughtn't be Christian. It's really satire first, then theological. Though, doubtless, Lewis was a Christian writer.

Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:50 pm
lucafont90 says...

One of the best stories that I have ever read. C. S. Lewis was a literary genius.

10/10 for me.

Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:19 am

I happen to not be a Christian, but enjoyed this immensely. I guess it's just part of the C.S Lewis genius. I recommend this book to anyone looking for a good read, albeit Christians may get more out of this book.

definte 10/10 from me

CL

Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:15 am
Jessie Hartman wrote a review...

I LOVE the Screwtape Letters. They give such an original perspective on Christianity! I could not put it down when I started reading it at school( my math quiz grade gives evidence to this). It's an amazing book. Not my favorite, but favorites really depend on mood in my opinion, so I can't say I have a favorite at all.

Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:20 am
Snoink says...

Not yet... so many good religious books. XD

Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:19 pm
Areida wrote a review...

Read this in eighth grade, and I love it. It's definitely one of my favourite books. Have you ever read A Demon's Roadmap To Your Soul? It's this little bitty book that is basically Wormwood's "field book", filled with tips, tricks, and methods for bringing their assigned person away from "the Enemy". You could probably read it in an hour or so, but it's definitely worth it.

I tell the neophyte: Write a million words–the absolute best you can write, then throw it all away and bravely turn your back on what you have written. At that point, you’re ready to begin.
— David Eddings