Home » Literary works » Article / Essay » Review

A Diary of a Young Girl - Anne Frank

by Snoink

Book: A Diary of a Young Girl

Author: Anne Frank

Genre: Nonfiction

Rating: 10/10

This is my favorite teenage writer ever. And that's saying something.

She had an older sister who always overshadowed her, a father who constantly badgered her, a boy whom she fell in love with, and a lot more. She, like many of us, longed to be a writer. She loved the outdoors, and when she could, spent as much time breathing in the cool night air. She was proud, obsitinate, but had a heart, and though a lot of times she was confused, she was always right on the fundamentals.

There was just one problem: she was Jewish. Worst yet, she lived in the time of Hitler, when Jews were sent off to a mysterious place (nobody was quite sure where it was, but it couldn't be good) and to be free, they had to hide from the Germans. So her family and Anne hid in a place called, "The Annex." They couldn't go out, and they were trapped in just a couple of rooms.

It wasn't particularly fun, and as Anne herself noticed, sometimes completely boring, but there was much to be learn, much learn, and much to enjoy, even under strict rationing.

Very good descriptions. Very good characters. And though the story goes on for a long time, you want it to continue. It will make you laugh, it will make you cry, and it will make you think very deeply. And you will never forget it.

10/10

Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:50 am
Mr. Everyone says...

I absolutely loved this book! It was an awe-inspiring beutiful peice of art. I recomend it to anyone who has eyes or fingers for brail. I loved it. It was extremely moving.

keep writing and =) happy reading (=

Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:14 pm
Pushca says...

as to what meg said... yeah, anne frank is pretty much the reason i started journaling. not writing, maybe, but definitely journaling, and that's where i got most of my practice.

Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:47 pm
lucafont90 says...

I read the book when I was in fifth grade. Lovely book. Wonderful writer. So sad that she died.

Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:20 am
Via wrote a review...

I owe everything in the way of my writing to Anne Frank.

Seriously. We actually had to do a paper on what event, person, or thing sparked our interest in writing for our senior project in highschool.

When I was little my mother read a little of this book to me every night before I went to bed. [We, of course, read it in school some years later as well]. That was the moment I decided I wanted to start writing. I started journaling because I thought if I kept a journal everyday that someday someone might find it and publish it and a million people would read it. Of course, then I was too young to understand the signifigance of this particular diary [besides, now I'm fairly certain I would skip the country and change my name if a million people read my journal haha].

Anne Frank is the reason I'm writing today. Without her, I might have been in the circus or something.

:D
Meg

kiashana says...

Sabradan, I believe the Franks were sent to Aushwitz-Birkenau, seperated by men and women. Anne and Margot died either in Birkenau or Bergen-Belsen, I'm not sure which.
But I agree on the fact that there are so many better Holocaust books out there. Still, Night may be a little much for younger readers. I read Jane Yolen's The Devil's Arithmetic in elementary school and Briar Rose in middle school. Both are fictional but pretty accurate, and appropriate for those age groups.

sabradan wrote a review...

Snoink wrote:She wanted to take her diary, change the plot around and sell it. So, while she was writing it, she didn't think, "Oh, I'm going to publish this diary." She thought, "Maybe I can make a fictional account of my life after the war." She talked about that quite a bit, especially after Hitler was betrayed.

It was her father who edited it. He realized that she would never be able to write the novel she wanted to, so he edited it to include some of the historical parts, but to leave out the message of some of the nastier things said about him. This version is known as A. Then, once that book became popular, the Frank estate got all of the manuscript of her diary, edited it again, and came up with version B. Now, I believe, the version is a mixture between version A and version B. But she didn't intend to publish her diary...

SHE couldn't have talked about those kinds of things when Hitler died, snoink, because Hitler died in May of 1945, and by that time, she was dead. zt''l. Its been a long time since I've read the diary, but I think she was found in what, '43? '44? By that time, the death camps were working full speed and at full capacity to try to murder as many people as possible before German occupied lands were liberated and the allies found out what they were doing. Odds are, they were captured, shipped to either Auschwitz, Bergen-Belsen, or Majdanek, and killed almost immediately. Its so sad, obviously.

While it is a good peice of literature, especially for trying to teach the Shoah (Holocaust) to younger children, there are many more books that are better at it. Some examples:
Night by Elie Wiezel
Number the stars A series of Diaries of Seven children who were murdered in the Shoah.
Or, for non-fiction:
Tell Them We RememberI forget who the author is.

Or, if you want to teach not just about the holocaust, but man's inhumanity to mankind in general, a good one is:
Why Do They Hate Me?I forget the author, but it is a collection of short stories set in different time periods in which people kill each other for little or no reason at all. It starts in the Holocaust and has four stories from there. Then it goees to Northern Ireland and has I believe 5 stories from there. Then it goes to Israel and has like 5 from there. Really a great read.

Araidne wrote a review...

I loved the book! :lots_hearts: But it is sad . If they could have hidden for only two more weeks, the Allied forces would have reached them. At the death camp,if she could have lived for a few more days, the camp would have been liberated. I cry every time I read her diary. :cry: But she is an inspriring girl.

kiashana says...

Everything I've ever heard says that in the original manuscript of the diary, Anne Frank did her own editting. Her diary was like our short stories- we edit and edit and edit, and she editted and editted and editted the diary. It may still be her thoughts and such, but it isn't a first draft diary kind of thing, which is what everyone seems to think it is.
Crayon- She didn't understand that she would die. They were in hiding too long to find out about the death camps before they were captured. It wasn't a novel- it was creative nonfiction. And if she wanted the story to ring true, how could she not write about everything that happened? Those passages are among the most compelling in the book. She wasn't trying to put her family to shame, she was writing a memoir of her time in hiding, which includes everything. Had she lived to publish, it probably would've gotten a bad reaction from her family, but we don't think of it as shaming anyone because they all died.

Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:56 am
Snoink says...

She wanted to take her diary, change the plot around and sell it. So, while she was writing it, she didn't think, "Oh, I'm going to publish this diary." She thought, "Maybe I can make a fictional account of my life after the war." She talked about that quite a bit, especially after Hitler was betrayed.

Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:43 am
Crayon says...

However, people are always unaware of the fact that she wrote that diary for publication.

OK, so Anne understood the fact that she would die and she decided to write a novel about it that she wouldnt profit from in any way, cause that just makes so much damn sense! And she wanted to put her family to shame when she wrote about her periods and how much she hated her sister once again, cant argue with that logic.

The Diary of Anne Frank is just that, after she died her father edited and published her diary, if she did a little editing and truth stretching along the way whats the problem? I mean what else would you do if you were in her shoes?

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:57 am
Snoink says...

It's not depressing. She isn't a depressed girl -- just someone with a lot of energy to spare and without an outlet to do so. Now, if you're talking about the epilogue...

Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:31 am
Elizabeth wrote a review...

I never had a chance to entirely read it... but from what I've read and heard, it is just as depressing as anything I ever read.... Although I'm just getting over Erich Maria Remarque's ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT.... *sighs* Depressing, depressing.

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:37 am
xXMeGXx wrote a review...

i LOVE the diary of anne frank. and getting the chance to go over to Amsterdam and actually walk in where she had been, it was amazing. and really sad too.
Glad you liked as well :)

Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:03 pm
kiashana wrote a review...

To be honest, this isn't exactly among my favorite books. In fact, I don't really like The Diary of Anne Frank at all. As a piece of literature, it's decent. However, people are always unaware of the fact that she wrote that diary for publication. It was never a personal diary. She edited, she made things up... It's not entirely nonfiction. Anne Frank, like all of us, was a writer, and too many people forget that when they read her 'diary'.
People use The Diary of Anne Frank as the perfect first exposure to the Holocaust for young children, and it isn't about the Holocaust. It's about hiding from the Holocaust. When you read the book, you might cry, but that's because of Anne's carefully edited prose, not because of what was actually happening to her. There are so many better Holocaust books, and that this book gets all the attention is ridiculous.

Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:35 am
Crayon wrote a review...

Anne Frank, those two words always make me sigh, she is such a sweetie! I adore her, I read the book when i was seven then started my own diary and instead of it being named Kitty (is that the name of hers? I havn't read it resently) it's name was Anne and i told everybody (not that my friends knew who Anne Frank was at that age) that my firstborn daughter would be named Anne, I don't think so now but anyway. Now i feel like reading it again.

Did you know there are three different publications of the diary out? ones edited so you don't read about her sexual curiousity, one has that and the other, well I'm not sure.

Whatsarahsaid says...

I read it when I was 9 and have read it twice since then. It makes me cry every time. Has anyone read milkweed by jerry spinelli? That's heartbreaking.

Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:01 am

I'm reading it now! I'm not even to the part where they move into the annex yet but from what I have read so far, I LOVE IT! ha ha!

Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:00 am

I agree. I think that it's because it's a diary that it's always affected me so much. It's so full of emotion that it's amazing.

Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:53 pm
Jojo says...

To be honest, it is the idea of writing a diary through all the sad and oppressing atmosphere that appeals tome. Anne Frank experience covers very few topics, but it makes us think deeply in whatever it goes into.

Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:14 am
Snoink says...

And it's horrible to find out what happened to her. :(

Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:13 am
Supermal wrote a review...

That is such a wonderful book. On Remembrance Day, I always wish that they'd show the movie instead of giving these long, boring speeches on remembering and such. Anne Frank's story is so much easier to relate to. It's hard for a bunch of teenagers to sit around listening to a bunch of old men talk about stuff that is hard for us to imagine. With Anne Frank's story, it's so much easier to imagine myself in her position and almost feel her pain, in a way.

Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:20 am
Micah says...

Lol. ;):lol:

Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:04 pm
thegirlwhofateloves wrote a review...

I read that book so much when I was younger that the book's falling apart! I love it and I have to say it made me cry because it's just so touching and sad because you know that it's a true story...I mean, imagine living like that for as long as she did...
Mind you, I cried at Titanic too. Not because of Leo DiCaprio dying (no, I'm not quite that much of a tap), but because that ship really sunk and all those people really died.
'scuse me I'm just going to run and get a tissue...
lol.

Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:41 am
Micah wrote a review...

Since I've read the book Snoink, this was pretty good. :)

Except it never made me cry. ;)

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity.
— Amelia Earhart