z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

The Runner's Prayer

by Snazzy


Dear God,

Help me to run my race,

with endurance and speed,

let my shin splints be few,

and water breaks be plenty.

Let the sun shine,

a little less today,

until it gets dark,

then a little more please. (It get's cold, you know.)

I know I sound picky,

but can the course be a good one?

With short grass,

and plenty of down hills.

And lastly God,

help me not to puke,

or grow weary,

or die.

In Jesus’ name I pray,

Amen.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
25 Reviews


Points: 610
Reviews: 25

Donate
Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:55 pm
View Likes
groganbabygirl wrote a review...



Hey

I really enjoyed the double meaning in this poem. You're not just running a literal race-- but life in itself is a race. Forming this poem as a prayer was very effective. Only mistake I caught was in line 9, "get's" should be gets without the apostrophe. Stupid autocorrect right? Sweet piece.

groganbabygirl




User avatar
60 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 60

Donate
Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:33 pm
View Likes
copgraveyard wrote a review...



This was enjoyable.

Usually I have such a downer attitude while reviewing, but this really satisfied me. Though I don't run, I can relate to the message that you are portraying in this poem. It made me laugh a lot, to be honest. You don't make it stupid or slow or anything, it's just right and that's awesome. You're awesome. This is awesome. Thanks a lot.

thanks.




User avatar
299 Reviews


Points: 24185
Reviews: 299

Donate
Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:23 am
View Likes
TheSilverFox wrote a review...



Goodness, is this a fun-to-read poem. Great job, SnazzyPencil! I love the way that you built this poem into a prayer structure, and just how humorous and enjoyable it is. Even more, I like the way that this is so easy to relate to. Sure, yes, I've not run so far as a mile in the past couple of years, but I still have some experiencing doing it, and most other people have some kind of a similar experience, whether they've done sprints down a road or ever ran a marathon. I just remember how it was so tiring, it was exhausting, and I wanted so many of things that the narrator above wants. I wished that I could run fast, that it would not be hot, that the course would be a little easier for me to go through, and, perhaps most important of all, I wouldn't get tired running. Therefore, there are so many ways that I can relate to this fun poem, and I, as a reader, develop a greater attachment to the message of the poem (even though I'm not all that religious.) In that respect, your poem conveys a wonderful message, a relatable message, and can connect with the people who read it quite easily and powerfully.

Furthermore, I found that this poem is strong. It's simple, it is concise, and it communicates its message quite clearly. Each image and scene is vivid, and I enjoyed the way that you even managed to form this into a prayer. Yes, this definitely would fit the description of "The Runner's Prayer." My favorite parts of this poem also centered around the style of the poem. This included the way that the narrator asks to have the sun made dark, and then warmed up again. While I would like to state that you made an error at that particular part of the poem - it should be "gets," rather than "get's," - it was still enjoyable to read and something that I could entirely relate to. Beyond that, the end was also quite vivid. It was a nice conclusion to this prayer style of poem, with the last words to Him and the last wishes the runner has before the race. As such, when it comes to your details, your concise, to-the-point nature, and the power of this poem, I'd say that this poem is a success.

In all, this poem is strong and fun. It is compassionate, thoughtful, and a unique spin on a prayer. Your writing style is exceptional, and I enjoyed reading this from start to finish. This poem is creative, well-built, and I loved it. Well done! :D




User avatar
498 Reviews


Points: 5966
Reviews: 498

Donate
Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:29 pm
View Likes
Que wrote a review...



Hey SnazzyPencil!
:D I love this poem! So entertaining- and so true!

let my shin splints be few

I think this line might be better as either, "let me not get shin splints today" (if this is his/her first race of the season) or "let my shin splints not be painful" (if he/she has already been running and has shin splints already). I just think that you can't have few shin splints- it doesn't sound right.

Let the sun shine
a little less today,
until it get's dark,
then a little more please.

This stanza doesn't quite make sense- why does the narrator want less sun but then more? Unless it's about getting sun in your eyes, because that makes some sense. Also, get's should be gets. :)

help me not to puke,
or grow weary,
or die.

Hahaha nice. Lots of exaggeration here. Just death at the end, that's definitely how some feel after running!

Overall, cute, nice, funny poem. I liked it a lot! If you are running in cross country, I wish you the best and all of the above. :)

-Falco




Snazzy says...


Thanks for the review! why did I put get's?! there's not even a get's in the English language! XD (get's=get is....Huh. XD)



User avatar
15 Reviews


Points: 304
Reviews: 15

Donate
Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:50 pm
View Likes
camillefalgout says...



I really like this poem. I like how you formed it into a prayer, it brings a sweet tone to the piece. I like the imagery you used as well, I can really picture the place a person would run. Keep up the good work!





It's Monday and you folks are beginning to wonder about the show, aren't you
— David Letterman