I'm Allergic to Homework

by Snazzy

I'm allergic to homework-

give me too much, I'll be dead.

Anytime I pull it out,

my eyes turn bright blood red.

~

Anytime I solve math problems,

or begin to punctuate,

my arms swell to twice their size-

it's my body's terrible fate. 

~

Whenever I start to dot my i's

or begin to cross my t's,

my eyes bulge right out of their sockets,

and then I'll start to sneeze!

~

Don't take out the grammar,

'cause then I'll stop breathin'.

Please not the algebra,

you'll then find me heavin'.

~

Finally I went to the doctor-

they said my allergies would taper.

But I still have to do school work

turns out I'm allergic to paper...

Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:25 am
alexblackwell says...

Hey there Snazzy!!
I really like that name though!
So I started reading this poem, hoping with my fingers crossed that this would rhyme. And it does!! Boy, oh Boy! does it rhyme. Even the half rhymes are very effortless.
The poem,(as stated by previous reviewers) is very humorous.
Well I hope you are not allergic to paper; we don't want to lose a good writer to Paper.
Have a good day!!
Cheers!
Alex Blackwell..

groganbabygirl wrote a review...

Hey.

A very relatable and humorous piece. The twist you threw at us in the last stanza really made the poem. A couple little things: the letters i and t in stanza three should be italicized. And in the last stanza "they" in line 2 modifies doctor, so a singular pronoun should be used. And the last thing is just my opinion but I would try restructuring stanza 2-especially lines 2&3. When I read it aloud those two lines just didn't flow as smooth as the rest of the piece. Enjoyed this piece. Keep writing!

groganbabygirl

AutoPilot wrote a review...

So this starts off and you are thinking, "Just another kid saying that they are allergic to homework."
But this is not the case with your work of art here, you have writtin an extremely funny poem about a topic of common interest. The comedy here is evident! I love how you write down different reactions to different subjects. Your rhyming pattern is one of my favorites, it flows smoothly together like a mixture of honey and milk. The vocab you used is good, simple, but not so simple it is boring. This is The Best poem about homework ever written, I look forward to reading more of your work!

Great job and keep on writing!

Snazzy says...

Thanks! :D

BornLoser wrote a review...

Hey hey SnazzyPencil :3 le BornLoser is here to review this poem ^.^

This is a very humorous poem! For the duration of it, I thought that you were exaggerating reasons why you can't do homework, so that you could get out of doing it, but it turns out that the whole time you were telling the truth about your reactions, it's just that you were allergic to paper! XD

The flow and rhyming structure of the poem go so well together, and that makes me happy ^.^ it's always great to find a funny poem that has a nice flow to it :)

I feel like the little squiggle things that look like this ~ aren't really necessary, as you could just leave a blank line. The reader would probably get the idea that you're trying to spilt up the verses by just leaving blanks between them :D

Overall, a really great poem! Well done dude!

Mega huggles, from BornLoser :3

Snazzy says...

Yes, I have tried using a blank line before, but it never keeps it when I publish... Do you know how to?

(thanks for the review! :D )

BornLoser says...

Well, when I use a blank line it works, maybe it's the device you're using? I've found that some computers will let you use a blank line on YWS, and others don't, so it may depend on the computer or whatever, which sounds stupid, but it's true! I'd say stick to the squiggly line for now until you can use a blank line :D stupid computers, ruining poets lives XD

Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:05 am
rainforest says...

But if you're allergic to paper, then you can't hold sheet music.

Snazzy says...

...I didn't think of that...

and I thought I had it all figured out

Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:12 pm
Remy020 says...

lol. hilarious! That's pretty much how I feel about school. A bit graphic though... :D

Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:48 pm
smartdog90 wrote a review...

Hi Snazzy! I love this poem because I share the dislike of homework too :) Anyway I guess I'll start.

Flow: The flow of your poem is great; the way it rhymes, but also the way it goes from each part to the next like:

"Whenever I start to dot my i's

or begin to cross my t's,

and then I'll start to sneeze!

~

Don't take out the grammar,

'cause then I'll stop breathin'.

Please not the algebra,

you'll then find me heavin'."

Creativity: I also love the creativity of different parts of homework like algebra, grammar, and spelling. Another great part was the plot twist where the whole time I actually thought you were allergic to homework, but then at the end it turns out you're allergic to paper! XD

Over all I think you did an awesome job writing this! I saw you fixed well to swell, but I also noticed that you changed "it's like I'm being stung by bees!" to "and then I'll start to sneeze!" which I thought was great!

-smartdog

Snazzy says...

Thanks for the review! :D I got the idea from Falconer and other reviewers on changing that line. :) Thanks again!

Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:16 am
kman134 wrote a review...

Hey, this is Kman134 here to review your work.

Well, to be frank, I thought this was a nice piece of work; it had such a dark humorous edge in each sentence. I loved how each sentence expressed the narrator's allergic reaction and i loved what kind of symptoms occur in his/her allergies.

"Anytime I solve math problems,

or begin to punctuate,

my arms well to twice their size-

it's my body's terrible fate."

Despite there being a grammar error in this sentence--well, instead of swell--the symbolism was pretty useful and the remark on mathematics and how it makes your arm swell is the same way i feel when doing equations.

"Finally I went to the doctor-

they said my allergies would taper.

But I still have to do school work

turns out I'm allergic to paper"

This revelation at the end was pretty much a brilliant twist where the narrator thought he/she was allergic to homework but, in reality, it was the paper that the homework was printed on, which is pretty rare to have an allergic reaction to.

To sum it all up, this was an interesting, yet comically enticing, poem and would like to read more of your works in the future.

Snazzy says...

Thanks for the review! :D

Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:28 am
Rin321 says...

Haha! Pure genius!!! Yet another great work from Snazz <3

Snazzy says...

Thanks Chrissy! :D

Que wrote a review...

Hey Snazzy!
I guess I'm going to do the more critical things first, then tell you what I thought of it overall.

my arms well to twice their size-

I think the "swell" might work better here. Well is more like water welling up from the ground, and swell is more like what would happen if you were allergic to something. :)

my eyes bulge right out of their sockets
it's like I'm being stung by bees!

I feel like with the way these lines are laid out, the eyes bulging out of their sockets feels like being stung by bees. I know you have to rhyme it with the other line, t's, but maybe you could change it to something like "And soon I start to sneeze." Or maybe there's some other way to clarify your meaning.

I also found the end a little odd- the allergy will eventually taper, but the narrator still has to do homework? Is that because much homework is on electronics now? I'm not quite sure I understand those last three lines.

I feel like a lot of these lines don't match up to each other in syllabic length, and it's a little awkward when reading aloud. I don't think you would have to have a set rhythm or length throughout the entire piece, but I think it might be nice to have the lines consistent to the other lines in its stanza. It's your choice, but just something to consider.

Overall, I found this very entertaining! How we'd all love to be allergic to homework, but in the end the narrator still has to do it. I liked the different symptoms for different kinds of homework. I think it made it a lot more entertaining with those comparisons in there. This is a neat poem!

-Falc

Que says...

(Also congrats! This is now in the spotlight :D )

Snazzy says...

Thank you. :)
Oops... xD (meant to put swell on that one) I'll probably will end up changing those last three lines. (trying to figure out another word to rhyme with 'paper' other than 'taper' and 'caper'... xD ) Thanks for the review! :D

Owning our story can be hard but not nearly as difficult as spending our lives running from it. Embracing our vulnerabilities is risky but not nearly as dangerous as giving up on love and belonging and joy—the experiences that make us the most vulnerable. Only when we are brave enough to explore the darkness will we discover the infinite power of our light.
— Brené Brown