A King of Blood and Ash (Edited)

by SkyJayde

The throne room was dimly lit by candles and very little sunlight. The light of the sun was casted upon the king and queen’s majestic beings. I could’ve sworn I was in a fairytale.

The king gazed upon me with his lifeless yellow eyes. His lips were curved into a cruel smile. His wife - the queen - stared at me with a pure revulsion. I knew I shouldn’t, but I stared back at them. Refusing to let myself be intimidated by their icy-cold stares.

My knees gave way beneath me as my head was lowered by the royal guard beside me, forcing me to bow in the presence of his majesty. The king’s heartless, menacing laughter reverberated in my ears. I lifted my head and his eyes met mine. He rose elegantly from his golden throne as he approached me with his hands clasped together behind his back. I let my eyes wander over to the queen and looked at her instead. Her lips were twisted into an amused smile. Her emerald green eyes held a strange glow in them.

The king grabbed my chin and forced my attention back to him. I looked once again into his spiritless, dark eyes. His brows furrowed as a look of confusion crossed over his features. His striking yellow eyes suddenly became soft and filled with warmth. I knew in an instant that he recognized me.

“It’s you…”

Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:38 pm
AkuRashomon wrote a review...

Hello there! This is loveissourgrapes and I am here to review/comment your story. Because it is short yet it has impactful small words and phrases. Anyway, to the review. It also has a captivating title. By the way, is this a chapter 1 or something because, I saw that it is in the novel /chapter category? Nice cover art too.

The king stared at me with his lifeless eyes. His lips were curved into a cruel smile. His wife - the queen - looked at me with a face of disgust. I knew I shouldn’t, but I stared back. Refusing to let myself be intimidated by their cold stares.

This is good for an introduction of your story. You can feel like an icky feeling of the cold stares of a king and a queen. This was short but you can still imagine a lot. The feeling is icky but you have to do something because they are the royals and all. The narrator is afraid but should not show it in the presence of the king and the queen.

My knees gave way beneath me as my head was lowered by the royal soldier beside me. Forcing me to bow in the presence of his majesty. I heard the king’s cruel, sinister laughter. I lifted my head and his eyes met mine. He rose slowly and gracefully from his throne without breaking eye contact. I was the first to look away as I glanced at his queen. Her lips were curved into an amused smiled and a strange glow in her emerald green eyes.

You can see that the narrator has a weird feeling because the royals are probably known to be cruel and corrupt. The descriptions here were longer but the context is clear no matter how short it is. The words are used are also unique in a way. That's great!

The king grabbed my chin and forced my attention to be focused on him once again. I looked into his dull, lifeless yellow eyes. Yellow eyes….just like mine. His brows furrowed as a look of confusion crossed over his features. His eyes suddenly became soft and filled with warmth. I knew in an instant he recognized me.

Is the king blood related to the narrator too? Because of the descriptions of their eyes having the same exact color. The king has also recognized the narrator. They know each other. He seemed pretty tough at first but then his face softened when he recognized who was the narrator. Is the narrator the child of the king?

“It’s you…”

This part is so god for an ending of a chapter. It has that mysterious vibe to it. Suiting the concept of the story. So short yet, like I said, impactful. Leaving your readers question and ponder about the story.

Over all, I found the writing style and the structure very unique. Keep it up and keep writing! Have a wonderful day/night!

Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:49 am
CarrotWrites wrote a review...

Hi SkyJayde! This is Carrot here giving an honest review! Nice job :)

“The king stared at me with his lifeless eyes. His lips were curved into a cruel smile. His wife - the queen - looked at me with a face of disgust. I knew I shouldn’t, but I stared back. Refusing to let myself be intimidated by their cold stares.”

I like how main characters feels real, and has a personality, proven when she stares back. Something you could consider changing, though, is to add more description to the scene. Where are they at? Is the king and queen elders? What are the king’s eye/hair colors? Who did she stare at?

“My knees gave way beneath me as my head was lowered by the royal soldier beside me. Forcing me to bow in the presence of his majesty. I heard the king’s cruel, sinister laughter. I lifted my head and his eyes met mine. He rose slowly and gracefully from his throne without breaking eye contact. I was the first to look away as I glanced at his queen. Her lips were curved into an amused smiled and a strange glow in her emerald green eyes.”

I like the first two sentences, which gives me a clear image; consider combining the first two (ex, …royal soldier beside me, (comma) forcing me to…) Instead of using the word cruel again to describe the king, try searching for a synonym that’s more specific. When the king rose from his throne, try adding more descriptions of how he stood, where was his hands, did he look in the main characters eyes as he stood? Instead of telling, show how the MC looked away. Why did she look away, was she reminded of something?

“The king grabbed my chin and forced my attention to be focused on him once again. I looked into his dull, lifeless yellow eyes. Yellow eyes….just like mine. His brows furrowed as a look of confusion crossed over his features. His eyes suddenly became soft and filled with warmth. I knew in an instant he recognized me.”

Consider moving the kings eye color to the first paragraph to engage the readers further more. I really like the suspense, which will keep the readers craving for more.

Overall, this is amazing! There’s only a few changes to make, but I would definitely continue reading this, and I believe others would too! :D

SkyJayde says...

Hey there, CarrotWrites,
I appreciate the feedback. I will take what you have said into consideration as I rewrite this piece. Thank you for asking questions and giving me ideas on how I can improve.
%u2601%uFE0FSkyJayde%u2601%uFE0F

CarrotWrites says...

Hey! I'm so glad to hear that it was helpful. You're very welcome, I really look forward to this story, and I wish you the best of luck!

Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:08 am
cursedstick wrote a review...

Short but sweet. The descriptions of the king and queen are detailed and adequately threatening. Everything about their eyes and facial expressions is great. This might be random but it gives me Dark Souls vibes - two seemingly powerful figures with an odd sense of cruelty and decay. These two are well characterized, and the narrator is as well with their defiance in the face of the king and queen's cold stares. And then, the king's eyes suddenly going from lifeless to filled with warmth at the end is another great description, as well as a good cliffhanger setting up the relation between these two characters. Awesome stuff

Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:57 pm
foxmaster wrote a review...

Foxmaster here to leave a review!
Well, overall, I can tell this would be an interesting piece if you explained it more. Right now, we're basically just having these vague descriptions of what's going on. I sure wasn't expecting this to be that short at the beginning. Your descriptions were great, though, and the cliffhanger was great. I just didn't really find the description of the piece that necessary, considering that this is just a little snippet here and not the full piece.

Also, there's a lot of repetition here, you keep on saying eyes so many times, I can't count it. Who's the person on the cover? Is it Liana? The king? Someone else?

But, overall, your story has good description, and I was impressed. You're clearly a clearly an experienced writer, and I'm hoping you continue this so I can read the full thing.

SkyJayde says...

Hey there, Foxmaster,
I appreciate the feedback and will hopefully be posting more to this piece soon. No, that%u2019s not Liana or the king, or someone else. I just need to change the cover photo.

%u2601%uFE0FSkyJayde%u2601%uFE0F

foxmaster says...

ohhh ok then.

Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:48 am
cookiesandcream123 wrote a review...

Heyo, SkyJayde!

Huh?

What's this..? A new story and a new character you didnt tell me about?

D:< HOW DARE U KEEP SECRETS-!!

Lol I'm just kidding. I'm glad that I found this~! :D

So, even though there's not much context to this yet, I am quite intrigued already. It seems like a prologue, and judging by the description, there is more to this story. Perhaps future chapters will go back and explain how this all started for Liana. Hm..if you post more of this, could you make a post on your wall and tag me to lmk? :D

Now, onto the feedback. Well, I think Kaia has pretty much said it all! I like how you managed to build intrigue and an unsettling atmosphere even though it's short. While reading, I had also wanted more context, but I understand that you're keeping things a mystery on purpose. You do have my attention hooked; I'm curious to know who this king is. I bet he's related to the main character. I'm surprised he was kinder by the end, though. Him and the queen seemed like jerks at first.

Alright, for constructive criticism.. hmm! I'm not super sure about this, and it might just come down to style/choice, but I think there are parts where you could change up the sentences more. There isn't much dialogue or thoughts, so the sentences with the actions got slightly repetitive. It often goes, "Person A Does This. Person B Does This." I think one way you can fix it is to vary the sentence length. You can add transitions, like "after a moment," or "then," at the start of some sentences. Or you can describe the actions in different ways.

Eg:

"I heard the king's cruel, sinister laughter."

Maybe you could add on with imagery like, "...sinister laughter, grating on my ears." Or switch it up and show-instead-of-tell, like, "The king's cruel, sinister laughter reverberated in my ears," instead of using "I heard."

But ultimately, it's up to you to decide! I think I might also just have a habit of over-complicating things and beating around the bush, haha. Often it's refreshing to see how concise but impactful your writing style is.

That's all I have to say. Keep up the great work, I luv reading your stories! <3

SkyJayde says...

I just have one question%u2026.how did you know the main character%u2019s name was Liana?! I reread through my story and never saw her name mentioned.

Anyways, I appreciate the feedback, I will be doing some revising and editing in a couple days as I have just gone back to school. Glad you liked it and glad to hear that it got your attention.

*Thumbs up* !
I saw Liana's name in the description/summary under the title link.

SkyJayde says...

*smacks myself in the face* oh, right

Kaia wrote a review...

So, ahem! I believe this is a little part of something else, possibly? Well, either way, I'm here to give you a review.

So, despite the little snippet you shared here, I have to say you did a good job building up the characters. No names are shared, but the piece goes well without names. The main character I specifically like. I feel that he or she has done something wrong and was brought to the king for punishment. This person is obviously nervous as his or her legs gave way when the person was forced to bow. Well, either that or the soldier who forced the main character to bow really did it with a great brutal force, but I kind of doubt that.

Despite the character's understandable unease, he or she is still quite defiant, sort of threatening the king and queen by looking at them when it is not customary to do so. Silently, this character is saying "I'm not afraid of you." Nicely done. You didn't have to say any of that for me to pick up on it.

I also have to comment on your usage of the word "eyes," as I use them a lot to describe emotion and physical appearance a lot. I especially like the term "lifeless eyes." This really hits on a mental image and is a nice interest-opener right there on line one. Nicely done!

Overall, I liked this piece, but I suggest adding a little more context, as I was a bit lost as to why the character was there, who the character was and what his connection is to the king and queen. But maybe if there's a sequel that will be explained. ;)

Wishing you the best!
-Kaia

SkyJayde says...

Thanks for the feedback, Kaia. I agree I should put more context but I was also just kind of trying it out without context too if it made people wonder about the situation or just made them confused. I appreciate you
telling me that it needs a little more context though.

%u2601%uFE0FSkyJayde%u2601%uFE0F

Kaia says...

Sure! Glad to be of help. ;)

Life’s disappointments are harder to take if you don’t know any swear words.
— Bill Watterson