Hunters and Hunted

by SketchedDemon

Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for violence.

As I leaned back against the tree, staring at the stars, I felt peaceful. For once in my life there were no angry villagers with guns, nor screaming people with torches and pitchforks attempting to snuff out my life like a candle. They should have known better than to mess around with me. A lot of the time I spent was with the wolf pack, as I had no real home but the caves scattered throughout the valley. They were the only ones who accepted me as their own and, in turn, I began to act and look like them. From different points of view, I couldn't be discerned as relatively human like.

I sat in the crook of the great boughs of the oak tree feeling one with the nature that surrounded me. My chatoyant green eyes darted around restlessly. An unusual scent had caught my attention. My eyes changed from a bright green to a deep crimson, signalling the start of what may be bloodshed. A tail flicked, causing my pack to be at my side, slightly growling. I crooked my tail once more and we set off, bounding across fallen trunks and small brooks. The pack surrounded the newcomers. They were hunters. Deerskin boots, bearhide clothing and to top it off, the traditional coonskin hat. Guns were strapped by their side as they sat around a campfire. A song started, making me want to sing with the drunken men, but I realized all too soon what they had done as I saw the remains of their previous hunt. I tried to restrain myself, but it proved futile as a small growl escaped my lips. They were loud enough so that they couldn't hear it, but I knew that they soon would notice our presence.

"Attack," I whispered softly. The wolves responded at once to my voice and the screams of the hunters were muffled by teeth and claws ripping and shredding to compensate for the loss of our packmates whom had been hunted. Who knew that I could find no remorse for the souls of which the bodies heeded no mind to the overhanging scourge of this forest that is me. I had a soft spot for all of those creatures that had done no harm to the world around them, but humans on the other hand, were intolerable and disgraceful beings that disrupted the natural way of things, and not in a good way. The pack fed well that night, although I did not join in the feast. After all, I did have some sense of moral in the fact that I was not a cannibal. I eventually found some small berries and the like to stave off the hunger for the time being.

Falling asleep that night proved to be rather difficult as I was troubled as to what I really was. I looked moderately humanoid with lightly tanned complexion and normal facial features, but I had pale green hair, and wolf ears and tail along with cat like eyes that always seemed to be a different color that told me apart from being an everyday person. I put my hand above my nose, lowering it until it gently touched my face.

What am I truly?

I needn't have waited very long to get my answer.

Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:33 am
Mea wrote a review...

Hey there! Thought I'd drop by for a review today.

So, I'm liking how your MC is sort of human and sort of not. Definitely interesting implications there, with how he/she fits into (or well, doesn't fit into) the human world. And I'm interested in how he/she is fine with killing humans and how they wound up commanding the wolf pack to this extent. Can he/she communicate with them? And how? Also, however he/she wound up looking like they do should be pretty cool. You've got a lot of meat to dig into with this story.

Also, as you may have noticed by me constantly using he/she, I can't tell if the narrator's a boy or a girl. Probably something you should resolve pretty quickly into the story - it's one of my pet peeves with first person.

Biggest thing that drew me out of the story: the navel gazing. This is our first introduction to your main character, and as such we're not really ready to come deep into their head and on their internal journey with them. We're lacking context and sympathy for your narrator, and those things are built by actions, not deep-seated reflection. You have actions here - there's an entire battle - but you completely skip over most of it, and that's hurting you. While it's not always good to start off with a battle because the reader doesn't know why anyone's fighting or who to root for, skimming over it like this with a heavy-handed explanation of the morals isn't quite working either.

Basically, I guess this feels quite like a prologue, and I'm willing to bet the story doesn't necessarily need one. You do a good job of setting the tone for the story, but it's a bit too heavy-handed with the exposition of the conflict and why your MC does what they do.

And that's all I've got! Good luck, and keep writing.

Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:37 pm
Costa wrote a review...

Quick and to the point, eh? That's not a bad thing but I reckon you could stand to slow down a a wee bit and add more meat to events.

For example, since we're dealing with something of a werewolf, smells and sounds would obviously play a big part in how he (she?) senses the world. So, why not add some descriptions of that regarding the forest, campfire and the slaughter of the hunters? In a first person POV, expressing how the MC perceives stuff around him helps pull the reader in. Since you don't seem hesitant to have violence in the story, you might as well expand on the details of the attack to make for better imagery.

And, for that matter, I've a nagging feeling that the MC questioning his own being comes a bit abruptly. While not mentioned in the story, I'd wager he's been living with this pack for quite a long while and this is unlikely to be his first time attacking other people. So, what made this one different enough to trigger that reaction? Did the MC see someone around his age and how different that person was? Was he questioning the immorality of humans, drawing a parallel with himself in both appearance and mindset?
Since, again, you're in a first person POV, you've a wide avenue with which to lay out the MC's innermost thoughts, so go crazy with it. It all adds to the character.

This chapter feels like a prologue, so it's a bit early to say much more about this story. Still, the foundation here looks solid - now you just need to build upon it. :)

Thank you for the wonderful advice. I think I will do more editing on the abrupt way the story is presented, along with her thoughts and imagery. This is definitely more of a prologue, so maybe I should lengthen it and add more details. Again, thank you for the review :)

Pain is filtered in a poem so that it becomes finally, in the end, pleasure.
— Mark Strand