z

Young Writers Society



kintsugi / rebuilding from stockholm syndrome

by SilverNight


there are a few things
that you don't understand about breaking.

some things break like glass did
and get stuck in the tips of my fingers
when it's time for damage control
and years later i'll find a shard i missed
just to get myself cut all over again.
there is just enough spite and crookedness
in me, in my mirror, to hold myself together,
down to these veins that fracture me,
but yes, you really should ask me why this shattered.

and some things break like my voice did
every time i wanted to ask why,
and every time i got a lie as an answer,
when you were happier with me listening
to yourself in an echo chamber
with you so in love with your own words,
and when i finally started talking to other people again
but with silence still in the overtones.

and some things break like chains did
after i had to burn from the inside out all the poetry
that you titled "she is mine" and kept me prisoner in as your muse.
my crushed-up confessions are smeared on your canvas
and now that i'm bled dry, maybe i should stain my hands
and take some time tearing it up until june gets here.

and some things break like a heart did
when the tree finally started believing in the axe,
but that's not what i want to talk about.

because some things break like a promise did
when you sank the blade into crumbling wood
and some things break like the surface of a river did
when it drifted down into the rushing depths
and some things break like i did
under the gaze of the one who saw me drown,
so slowly and tenderly and wretchedly
and as you would say, beautifully.

some things are broken like you are,
too sharp to put back together, and i know because i've tried,
but at least it wasn't someone else who did that to you.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
455 Reviews


Points: 22123
Reviews: 455

Donate
Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:32 pm
View Likes
Hijinks wrote a review...



Hi Silver! I thought I'd drop by with a review for this lovely piece. Is this because I majorly procrastinated for the Last Reviewer Standing? Definitely not, shhhhh

I think this poem is a really great example of how you can use subtle repetition in a way that drives the poem home without feeling gimmicky or overdone. It doesn't feel like the phrase "some things break like a..." is controlling the poem or forcing it into a certain shape, it's just complimenting the contents in a way that is natural. And I especially like how you're not afraid to play around with it a bit, like tacking "and" or "because" in front of it, or pulling a plot twist at the end with "some things are broken like you are."

Speaking of that plot twist -> I found it really interesting that you choose to end with the poem pointing out that the person being addressed is broken! The imagery leading up, throughout all the poem, seems to center around images that reflect the narrator's own brokenness, so it feels a teeny bit subversive to change that at the last minute. I quite like that, because makes it feel like the poem actually resulted in a significant development or new thought; like it actually moved somewhere from where it started, if that makes sense.

You've got some really fabulous images in here. I think my favourite part is the second half of the second stanza:

there is just enough spite and crookedness
in me, in my mirror, to hold myself together,
down to these veins that fracture me,
but yes, you really should ask me why this shattered.

The competing images of crookedness and fractured-ness and being held together by those things are just super compelling.

Another one I absolutely have to point out:
and some things break like a heart did
when the tree finally started believing in the axe,

because whewwww is that an intense couple of lines </3

There's only one place where the image doesn't quite make sense to me, which is the first half of the second stanza. I'm not sure if I'm just being dumb and missing something obvious, but I'm finding it hard to picture exactly what is being described. Maybe it also has to do with the punctuation there? I'm not sure. Actually speaking of punctuation, one thing I do notice is that the only punctuation you use in the entire poem is commas and periods - this is mostly a taste thing, so do feel free to take it with a grain of salt, but I personally prefer when there's a bit more variety, with at least a couple dashes or semicolons or colons, especially in such a long poem. I find it often helps to create a more interesting flow, and sometimes it can even contribute a bit to the tone of how you read certain lines.

In terms of interpretation, I think it's a pretty "straightforward" poem for lack of a better term. I read it as a narrator finally admitting to themself that they've been in an abusive relationship, and trying to come to terms with that. There's a really powerful tone of defiance that you carry throughout the poem, like the narrator is releasing or freeing themself by finally letting all these thoughts out. A lot of the more informal phrases you use, like "but yes, you really should ask me why this shattered." or "but that's not what i want to talk about." or "and as you would say, beautifully." feel very personal, and I can imagine the narrator delivering them in kind of sarcastic tone.

Overall, I really really enjoyed reading this (as I do all your poetry), and I hope this review proves useful for you! Let me know if there's anything you'd like me to expand on/have any questions about!

Keep writing <3

Seirre




User avatar
70 Reviews


Points: 15
Reviews: 70

Donate
Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:44 pm
BEASTtheHUN wrote a review...



This poem is truly touching, in a weird sort of way. I'm a fan of your poetry. Understandable and deep at the same time just like poems should be. The imagery is amazing. I had to look up what Stockholm Syndrome was but when I found out I was interested you chose that as your topic. Anyway my favorite lines are.

some things break like glass did
and get stuck in the tips of my fingers
when it's time for damage control
and years later i'll find a shard i missed
just to get myself cut all over again.

These lines are so true. Overall I love this poem and look forward to many more! :)





There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
— William Shakespeare