The Magic Recipe!

by Shiksha

Are exams stressing every nerve of you?

Then let me give a recipe to you.

First take a cup of concentration

So that you can learn REALLY hard words

Such as ‘prestidigitation’!

Then take some fun,

But hey! Not a ton.

Take five spoons of interest,

Then take a pinch of rest

Mix these ingredients with a cool mind,

So that during the exam,

You can rewind!

Worry will make your dish taste bad,

Which will surely anger your mom and dad!

So friends! Remember my recipe,

To be tension free!

And during the exam don’t get stuck,

So a very good luck!!

Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:46 am
Skydreamer wrote a review...

Heyyy! This is really, really fun and interesting! I like how you worded it, I liked the terms you used, and found that the flow was good. I would suggest you use stanzas though, but because they make the poem a bit easier to read, but that's just my opinion.

So the first part was really good, but for the first line I would suggest a slight change to:

"Are exams stressing every never in you?"

I think that would work better because of the position of nerves (inside a person) and just how it sounds. Secondly I would suggest "then let me give you a recipe"

But I understand that you are trying to rhyme, so I get why you would want it to end with you. Here's a way it can still rhyme:

"Then, here is a recipe for you!"

:D I liked the "really" part (normally the really should be in italics but I took a peek below and saw that you were 11 when you wrote that, how cute!) And what a long word! One would surely need concentration for that one.

My final suggestion would be to change the ending from so a very good luck, to

And during the exam don't get stuck,
that's all, good luck!

Something like that.

Overall though this was a fun, silly, cute read that I enjoyed reading!

Also, I will keep a look out for some of your other works! (I am reading Love Never Changes)

--Dream onnnnnnn!

Shiksha says...

Thank you!!!

I luv it!! Lyk everything u write this is damn awesome!! :)

Shiksha says...

thanks babe....!! :)

Hanorah wrote a review...

Hi Shiksha!
I'm hanorah and I'll be reviewing your poem today ;).
First of all,I love love love love this poem,it's sooo cute xD.Its written well,considering you were in 5th grade.It even rhymes, which most eleven year olds might find hard to do!!
The poem had a good flow throughout the poem,and it made me laugh.
I think next time Ill be in an exam I will remember this poem,haha!well done, 10/10.

Shiksha says...

thank you.....:)

NotaDayperson says...

That was very cute! Not to restate anything that others have said, but it was. I must say it is very well written, and I have been writting for many years. Also it is very creative, and I love that it rhymes!

Shiksha says...

thank you....:D

This is so cute.(:

Shiksha says...

thank you!! :)

racket wrote a review...

I really enjoyed this piece. Very nicely written, especially from 5th grade. I like the feeling I got when I read it: Nice warm ans happy, like I safely arrived at a place to stay safe. A happy place that ensures no harm. I feel this way because I like getting good grades and this poem ensures it. Pleasantly funny as well! I can't find anything bad to tell you you need to fix, so, good job, and I can't wait to read more!
~Racket

Shiksha says...

thank you!! :)

darkangel_05 says...

I find this so ridiculously entertaining(I meant that in a good way)! You've got some pretty cool ideas. Okay, so I will leave the grammar and the other hard parts to the experts. I just have to say that I enjoyed reading this. I really do.

If you don't mind me sharing I just had this horrible Physics+Chemistry exam, and I'm definitely sure about the unfortunate result of that...thing. After reading this, it actually cheered me up just a little.

Good luck on your writing and your exam(if you have one).

- darkangel_05

Shiksha says...

thank you so much!! and yeah don' get stressed out because of exams...best of luck!! :)

mystogan wrote a review...

Ha ha, this is very funny. If only it was possible for me. I have exams right now. I even had one yesterday. I ended up doing the opposite of what you advised on here. Too funny. It may have been written as a poem but because I can actually relate to it, I see it more as a set of instructions. Fun instructions that is. Its also very casual which really reinforces the sense of relaxation that you are trying to advice people to adopt. I like this :)

Shiksha says...

thank you and a genuine best of luck for your exams....:)

Blackwood wrote a review...

Its so refreshing to see something not completely sombre and depressing or romantic in poetry for once. This poem was fun and very good for '5th grade' (I'm not sure how old that means but I think it's young)

If you are looking to edit and improve this past work then there are a few things I can review you on.

Firstly watch out for grammar. The very last line "So a very good luck" does not make sense. Just read through and double check things like that.

Secondly rhyming. I enjoy rhyming. (I once read a whole rhyming dictionary) and you have good rhymes in here. How ever your rhyming is inconstant. most of the time your rhyming every next line with the previous one but sometimes you have randomly rhymed then skipped a line then rhymed the next one. I know its hard to fit in the story with less lines and it makes sense in snippets on its own. But as a whole it doesn't work so well so I think you should stick to either rhyming every line or rhyming every second line. For example:
(I won't do the whole poem, just a bit)
"Are exams stressing every nerve of you? <----avoid rhyming with the same word.
Then let me give a recipe to you.

First take a cup of concentration
So that you can learn hard words, such as ‘prestidigitation’!

^ I really like this section, but it needs to be simplified to match the previous rhyme pattern.

Then take some fun,
But hey! Not a ton.

Take five spoons of interest,<-Syllable and rhythm are strange here.
Then take a pinch of rest <---- read it out loud.

Finally syllables. Read it out loud. You will notice that sometimes there's a long line then an abruptly short line. You might need to add in a few more words or take out a few to match up the syllables.

Great job, I will say again, such a nice change of tone.

Shiksha says...

hey thanks i will surely try to correct my mistakes the next time and your comment will immensely help me in doing that! by the way 5th grade is i guess 10 years old.....:)

Yewis superiority!
— Several authors from the auspicious site.