z

Young Writers Society



Sunny Winter Weddings

by trashykawa


Sam and Amir get married on a sunny, December day.

It’s warm, as Kolkata winters are prone to be. The affair is small but lovely: golden and blue decorations, Troye Sivan in the background, and their friends – their closest ones, the ones that have stuck by their side for years.

When Amir met Sam, back in 2007, the legalisation of same-sex marriage hadn’t happened yet. Back in 2007, Amir was a 13 year old boy, and he was scared. He didn’t quite know what being “queer” meant. He didn’t know, but as was the case with most teenagers, he could accurately recite ten queer jokes without knowing what they meant. ‘Chakka.’ ‘Hijra.’ Children parroting their elders.

Sam was the new kid. American born, but Indian heritage. Desi looks, Pardesi attitude. He spoke different, and it was difficult to understand his rapid English sometimes. Sam knew Hindi. And a little bit of Bengali, because Bengali heritage ran strong. He had an accent; and Amir found it oh-so-endearing.

They were strangers for about a year, in the beginning.

And As Amir says his vows this winter afternoon, a rainbow-colored flag waving in the wind, he thinks: Thank god for Group Projects.

<3

When Sam gave Amir his first kiss, they had been best friends for three years.

Amir had been looking forward to it.

He had also been very scared.

But Sam’s hands – the ones around his cheeks – had been trembling. His breath was shaky. So Amir steadied his hips and kissed him back, softly. The sun sunk slowly around them, and it was easy to believe that it was love.

And as Amir kisses his best friend – husband – for the infinite-eth time on this sunny winter day, he believes with all he has, that this is love.

<3

Amir went to his first pride march in 2018.

By then, he’d known of the riots. The first riots. The ones that occurred maybe a generation ago: the first pride march. He’d known of the people in history – the ones who fought for love, the ones who fought for Amir and everyone else who did not conform to the ordinary. Amir thinks about them often. They give him courage.

As Amir marries the man he’s loved for the better part of his life, he hopes he is enough – he hopes that his love will be enough to make up for what Sam lost.

And he thanks them – the countless of brave hearts who’d given their lives; the one’s who’d struggled and fought so that on this sunny winter day, Amir could get married to his best friend. Amir remembers them, and he loves them.

Neither of their parents could make it to the wedding, but Amir believes. And he knows that one day it’ll be alright. His heart sings, the same as it sang the first time Sam smiled at him. He feels it all, so big and warm; he has a chest full of hope and an armful of love. They will make it.

Love will win, again and again. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1232 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 1232

Donate
Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:59 pm
MailicedeNamedy wrote a review...



Hi trashykawa,

Mailice here with a short review! :D

A very beautiful story, especially the way you set the tone, with a certain feeling of special representation.

I came across the title and was surprised at the outcome of the story, in a positive sense of course. I really liked how you started with a brief glimpse of the past, making the story feel like a life story. This gave the story a certain uniqueness, which was mainly shown by the fact that you leave a positive effect through the short and well-structured sentences. It is refreshing to read through the story in this way.

But I also found that despite the romance, I missed a little more of that feeling. It felt to me as if everything seemed a bit like a documentary from the audio. That can be inferred mainly from the fact that a lot of what you describe remains in a superficial point and doesn't go deeper. I think it would definitely help if you could add what emotions are going through the characters and include them, because that's something I'm missing.

Adding adjectives can give much more than the simple description we have so far. The text reads really well and I like the story, but in summary I think it would be good to go over everything again and try to go much deeper into some parts where you describe more of this feeling. Because otherwise, as already mentioned, it comes across as a documentary. :D

Have fun writing!

Mailice




User avatar
64 Reviews


Points: 135
Reviews: 64

Donate
Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:39 am
View Likes
QuoolQuo wrote a review...



Ahoy hoy,

This is a really sweet story and there's really nothing I want to criticise about it. The message of love is strongly woven throughout the words and the characters feel genuine, but since this is a review I'll offer up just a few general comments;

1. I'm not one of those people who can just read a text and catch sight of every tinsy grammar mistake (but thank god they exist because what would the rest of us do without them) but I did notice the occasional error.

"Sam knew Hindi. And a little bit of Bengali, because Bengali heritage ran strong."


in this sentence you can replace the full-stop with a comma or just get rid of it all together as well with the comma after Bengali, I think you also missed the word 'his'. I'm bad at explaining so here's an example of what I mean:

"Sam knew Hindi and a little Bengali because his Bengali heritage ran strong."

There's also the option to take out the second Bengali if you feel it's a bit repetitive but its up to you.

"He had an accent; and Amir found it oh-so-endearing."


If you want to use the semi-colon I suggest taking out the 'and' or if you wanted to use the 'and' take out the semi-colon, e.g:

"He had an accent; Amir found it oh-so-endearing."


"Neither of their parents could make it to the wedding, but Amir believes. And he knows that one day it’ll be alright."


I think this could work as one big sentence simply by removing that small full-stop.

"Neither of their parents could make it to the wedding, but Amir believes and he knows that one day it'll be alright."


So those were the mistakes that I first noticed on a read through but I feel their might be a couple more. I personally use grammarly to comb out the smaller mistakes in my works (editing is annoying) but a couple of read-throughs also can't hurt to pick out little mistakes as well.

2. Now that all that irritating grammar stuff is out of the way, I can move on to comment on the actual story.
As I said in my introduction, this was a really sweet story that delivers a powerful message of love and the acceptance of all kinds of love. The fact that I liked this story so much means it hurts when I think to point out something that could be changed, but for starters, a story usually involves a form of conflict and though there was certainly a lot of sources of conflict and creators of tension for the characters, there wasn't exactly anything that could have the reader on the edge of their seat. You discuss the issues but we never clearly seem them and how deeply they affect the characters lives. Perhaps if you were to rewrite this you could explore one or two (or even all of them if your daring) to a greater extent and how the characters overcome the prejudices they face.

3. For my third comment, I would like to discuss the writing style.
Now the style isn't bad, its just that on a scale of 'showing' to 'telling' the story tended to tell more than show. I'm not sure if this was intentional but I thought I would comment on it by saying that a greater impact on the reader could perhaps be achieved by using 'show' more as it allows the reader to come to realisations themselves and in turn become more invested in the story as their brain actively connects the dots to realise whats going on.
You did have an example of 'showing' in this that I thought was great. When the parents are said as not being at the wedding your communication of their views on the marriage are told more subtly and to greater affect. I'd advise using a similar method for other instances in the story but its your choice, I think it's still great either way.


And that's done! All my nitpicking is over!
I hope you do expand upon this story as it is very nicely told and it's obvious that you feel strongly about it.
I hope my review is helpful and please keep writing!

- H.G




User avatar
672 Reviews


Points: 81482
Reviews: 672

Donate
Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:23 pm
View Likes
Plume wrote a review...



Gah!! I'm such a sucker for gay romance and this has HIT THE SPOT. You've perfectly encapsulated feelings in three scene showing staples of the LGBTQ+ community. I love how you've turned the story around in a way, starting with something that's usually reserved for the 'happily ever after' moment.

I love the way you characterize Sam with little phrases. It creates varied sentence length that's oh-so-satisfying to read.

A couple grammatical things: in the last paragraph of the first part, 'as' doesn't need to be capitalized. In the fourth paragraph of the last section, you don't need an apostrophe in 'ones.'

This was a beautiful work, truly. As I said before, I love a good gay romance, and this is phenomenal. Happy Pride month!!




User avatar
6 Reviews


Points: 43
Reviews: 6

Donate
Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:13 pm
View Likes
raesvaughn wrote a review...



This is really cute! I love lgbt stories and writings, and the Troye Sivan line reminded me of my time in middle school when I was just figuring what kind of person I was. This is a short story, as you intended, so it does all it needs to do without wasting time. I would love to see a version of this story that is a little bit longer, just to explore the inner struggles of the characters (specifically in terms of the Indian heritage) and how the anguish and societal pressures can hold the characters' relationship back. But as a short story, you did a great job. I love the use of school projects and old friendships to create this romance, it's very sweet and genuine. Thank you for this story, and happy pride!




trashykawa says...


<3 <3 thank you for reading!! and for your review : )



User avatar
66 Reviews


Points: 400
Reviews: 66

Donate
Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:48 pm
View Likes
Starve says...



I know this is fiction, but since it seems to be set in contemporary india -- same sex marriage hasn't been legalized yet, but homosexuality has been decriminalized.

Cute story though.




trashykawa says...


hi traves! thanks for reading! i know same-sex marriage hasn't been legalized yet - this is why we don't know the year in which they get married. i am very much hoping with all my heart that it will happen sometime by 2030, and after 2020's horror is over :P - the underlying message of the story is, after all, hope :)



Starve says...


Smart




If a nation loses its storytellers, it loses its childhood.
— Peter Handke