z

Young Writers Society


18+ Language

Color Photographs, Chapter eleven

by Shady


Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for language.

Karson sighed as he walked into the Lovetts’ kitchen and turned on a pot of coffee. Now that the immediate danger the Reneves posed was passed, he felt like the entire weight of the world was crashing down on him. All he wanted to do was to go back to last week, when he could sleep, and still had a job, and Sadie was her normal, sassy self. And his girlfriend wasn’t mad at him.

But that wasn’t going to happen, and Meyer needed sleep more than he did. Meyer spent the entire ride from the hut to the apartment clutching Sadie close to his chest, quietly begging her to wake up. Karson could hear his ragged breathing coming from their bedroom as Meyer went in and situated Sadie and came out with a tear-stained face. He promptly sent Meyer back to bed and told him to sleep.

Karson walk back into the living room and sat down in the recliner, letting his eyes trace the scarred surface of the coffee table. He’d been in the dark house for hours now, keeping watch in case anyone showed up that shouldn’t be there. It’d given him a lot of time to think.

His girlfriend, Ashlyn, wasn’t happy when he’d gone home for a few minutes to grab a few things before their meeting with Reneve. She’d followed him around the house cussing at him, accusing him of cheating on her because he hadn’t come home the night before. Karson figured another night on Meyer’s couch wouldn’t do anything to help his case.

He’d be surprised if Ashlyn didn’t break up with him before the week was through. He sighed and rubbed his face as he thought about it. He’d known it was bound to come sooner or later—he never stayed with the same girl more than a few months—but he didn’t have time for drama right now. But then again, he supposed it was just as well. He could get a fresh start with a new girl, in the Caribbean, if Resnick didn’t kill him in the next few days.

Karson wandered back into the kitchen and poured himself a cup of coffee, then opened the pantry to find a snack. He looked down as his phone started vibrating. A picture of Ashlyn flashed across his screen as she called. He sighed and took a long drink of the hot liquid, considering ignoring the call. If they were going to break up, he’d rather it didn’t happen in a whispered argument at 3 in the morning.

Can’t run from it forever, he thought. He took a deep breath then answered the phone. “Hey, babe.”

“Where the fuck are you?”

Karson held the phone away from his ear as his girlfriend shouted into his ear. “At Meyer’s house.”

“Likely fucking story,” she snarled. “A second night in a row?”

“Yes,” Karson said gently. “I’m sorry, babe, but he needs me here.”

“And what if I need you? Hmm? You never think about what I need—you just do whatever Meyer fucking Lovett wants you to.”

“We’re friends—”

“Sounds more like you’re little fuck-buddies.” Karson heard Ashlyn slam something down, and it sounded like glass broke. He bit back a sigh. “Why don’t you just date Meyer? You certainly spend enough time with him.”

“You’re prettier.”

“Fuck you.”

“You’re better at that, too.”

“Yeah? Well you’re damn sure not going to do it anymore.” Something else broke. Karson flinched. It would be a mess to clean up, if he bothered going back home before they made their move. He doubted there’d be much reason to go back, with how this conversation was going.

“Baby, come on--”

“Don’t baby me,” she snarled. “I’m done with your shit! If you don’t want to be with me, that’s fine. I can find someone who does.”

“Babe, it’s like 3 in the morning,” Karson whispered, glancing at the clock displayed on the microwave screen. “I’d be sleeping if I was home… why are you even up?”

“I’m packing.”

Karson sighed. “This is it, then?”

“Want me to leave your shit in the yard or the shower?”

“Why not just leave it where it is?” A louder slam. It sounded like a shelf fell over, knocking other things over with it. Karson sighed again as he listened to what sounded like cloth ripping. “Babe?”

“We are so done.” The line went dead.

Karson flipped his phone off and slid it back into his pocket with a long sigh. He was so tired. Of being awake. Of being crappy at relationships. Karson always kind of prided himself with changing up who his girlfriend was every few months, even though he always stayed faithful to whoever it happened to be at the moment.

He’d mocked Meyer when he married Sadie. He didn’t understand why Meyer would want to be tied down to one woman. Sure, he’d always liked Sadie, and he always hoped she’d stick around for a while, but he’d never really thought about a relationship lasting as long as hers and Meyer’s had so far. Now, as he glared down into his coffee, a large part of him wished he had a girl he could look at like Meyer looked at Sadie.

Karson had never had a woman who could do anything worse to him than tossing his clothes in the yard. Again. He’d certainly never held any of his girls quite the same way that Meyer held Sadie. Sure, he’d hold his woman if she was crying and wanted him to cuddle her—but he did it more out of duty than because he really cared she was upset. He just figured consolation was part of taking care of a woman, the same as making sure she had food every day.

He’d never cried as he carried a girl to her bed, or felt as vulnerable as Meyer looked as he was begging Sadie to wake up. Karson rubbed his face, thinking hard. Maybe I should just keep hanging around the Lovetts for a while, until I figure out how to do this whole relationship thing right. Karson turned back towards the living room with his coffee, but stopped when he saw Meyer in the doorway.

Meyer cringed slightly as he stepped forward with an apologetic smile. “I’m sorry, man.”

Karson shrugged. “It’s okay… did I wake you up? I didn’t mean to—”

“No,” Meyer cut in. “I was awake before you started talking.”

“Oh.” Karson walked past him. “You should sleep more.”

“You should go home… see if you can calm your woman down.”

“Nah,” Karson shook his head. He sat down on the edge of the couch, and looked up as his friend slowly followed and sat in his recliner. Meyer looked at him in the dim light coming from the kitchen.

“It’s past an apology?”

“A bit.” Karson chuckled softly, humorlessly. He doubted anything short of a cruise and a ring could persuade Ashlyn to stay at this point. He stared down at the steam coming off his coffee.

“I’m sorry.”

“It’s fine,” Karson shrugged. “We were close to it anyway… I think she was just looking for an excuse to break it off.”

“It still sucks.”

Karson nodded. “Yup.”

The men sat in silence for several long minutes. For a moment, it almost felt like they were back in high school, all those years before. Meyer getting his first apartment several months before it was legal, after a fight came to blows with his old man and he suddenly found himself homeless. Karson finally getting fed up with his brother’s rules and running away from the court-appointed guardianship he’d suffered under for a while.

“Kailee was my fault, too, wasn’t she?” Meyer asked after a long moment.

Karson thought for a moment. He’d nearly forgotten about Kailee. She was his first serious girlfriend—the first one he’d ever gone all the way with. They broke up not long after Karson moved in with Meyer. She said Meyer was a bad influence and said she was going to break up with Karson if he didn’t stop hanging around him so much—turned out she was telling the truth.

“Kailee was your fault,” Karson agreed as he looked up from his coffee, trying to read something from Meyer’s expression. “Pity, too. I actually liked that one.”

Meyer smirked. “I didn’t. Too much of a goodie-two-shoes for my tastes.”

“I remember.” Meyer narrowed his eyes. “You were mean to that poor girl.”

“She wasn’t right for you.”

“Yeah.” Karson couldn’t argue there. Kailee was a goodie-two-shoes. She never would’ve stayed with Karson, not with the way his life had played out so far. It was just as well that their relationship ended when it did.

“Ashlyn wasn’t, either.” Meyer said as he stood up and stretched his back.

“Yeah,” Karson repeated. She wasn’t. Her best quality was her skill in the bedroom, and that wasn’t enough for a relationship. She was too shallow to actually talk to—and having a girl he could talk to was the main thing he’d ever wanted. “She was more fun than anything.”

“No time for fun anymore,” Meyer said thoughtfully.

“I know.”

“Sleep is good, though.” Meyer took a step towards him and patted his back. “You should get some rest… I’m good to take back over.”

“No, I’m okay,” Karson argued. “You should go lay back down with--”

“Really,” Meyer insisted. “I got sleep. Looks like that’s just what you need. Get some shut eye, Kars. I’ll wake you up if I need help—promise.”

Karson took a deep breath, then sighed. He was tired. His eyes felt gritty and were getting so heavy. He knew that he’d be much more useful, especially in a gun fight, if he got at least a couple hours of rest before the battle started. He nodded slowly. “Alright… you’re probably right.”

“I’m always right,” Meyer said with a smirk. “I was right about Kailee, I’m right about sleep, and I’m right about Ashlyn. You’ll see soon enough.”

“Eh, we’ll see,” Karson said gruffly, rolling his eyes. He laid down on the couch and pulled the small pink blanket over him that Sadie had supplied the night before. He hadn’t said anything about it, but he suspected she chose the most girly one she had, just because she could. He didn’t mind, even if it did kind of remind him of Ashlyn’s absurdly pink fashion choices.

He took a deep breath and closed his eyes, trying to relax his tense muscles and calm his racing thoughts. Meyer walked past him once more, on the way back to the bed room. “I am sorry, though. I appreciate it.”

Karson cracked an eye open, but Meyer never slowed down. A moment later his dark figure disappeared into the bed room. Karson closed his eyes once more and pulled the blankets tighter around him, finding a sense of security in being wrapped up, even if it wasn’t in someone’s arms. Life is always better in the daylight. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1007 Reviews


Points: 13831
Reviews: 1007

Donate
Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:23 am
View Likes
TimmyJake wrote a review...



Timmy hereee

It was so aweshum to get more background on Karson. Before this, he was basically a blank slate to me, so it was cool to learn so much about him and his past. He's an interesting character, to say the least. xd Seems to be a bit loose with the morals, which would help him fit into the part he plays in the book - his job, especially. Even if that job now is probably forfeit... and that's assuming he worked for Reneve, as well. It's been too long since I read previous chapters with him in them. ^.^

There's not much to nitpick in this chapter, to be honest. Yeah, I know I say that just about every chapter, but I feel with this one... you've got the message you're trying to convey just about perfect, and the characters move along with it flawlessly. Not only did we get so much more background on Karson, but it also helped us form a more detailed picture of Meyer and where he came from. Pretty inseparable, those two.

I'm not seeing anything that would draw Ashlyn to Karson... even in the beginning. The only good thing he had to say about her was that she was good in the bedroom. xd If that was her only asset to a relationship, then how did they get into one in the first place? Everything else he mentioned about her, um, well, he seemed to hate. And I couldn't but think badly of her because ew, her mouth. She knows how to cuss, and isn't very imaginative with it, either. xDD I'm just not seeing anything that'd bring him into a relationship with her in the first place, although perhaps I'm calling that a bit soon. I don't know much about her yet, and probably never will. Gotta love her spunk, though! When that girl gets angry... watch outtt.

Since I can't seem to find anything else that pops out at me, I'll go through and point out superfluous nitpicky stuff.

and still had a job, and Sadie was her normal, sassy self. And his girlfriend wasn’t mad at him.


Just a few too many and in a row there~

Karson could hear his ragged breathing


Ew. heard instead of could hear

She’d followed him around the house cussing at him, accusing him of cheating on her because he hadn’t come home the night before


So Ashlyn knows as little about his work as Sadie knew about Meyer and what he did? You'd think that Ashlyn would've been used to him having to run out real quick, spend a few nights elsewhere, etc.... In a risky job, there's always things that come up. I don't see how two nights in a row would've been enough reason for a break-up, even if she was a bit ticked with him beforehand. Also, couldn't he have just told her what was going on? Or told her it was an emergency, so he was helping Meyer? He could've soothed things over with only a few words, and a bit of assurance that he wasn't cheating, and would be home soon. I dunno - just a thought I had.

He sighed and took a long drink of the hot liquid


If this is coffee, he's probably not going to take a long drink - too hot, so more like a sip. And hot liquid sounds pretty dumb when I read it. xd It's also unnecessary, as you just told us he had coffee. So took a long drink works just fineee.

“I am sorry, though. I appreciate it.”


So is this you just forgetting to separate the two different characters' speech? Because they don't read like they're from the same person, but they're situated like they are.

Can I just say that I love, love the part where he was thinking about Meyer and Sadie's relationship? It was really awesome to read, especially as he seems to view women differently than Meyer, or at least hasn't found one he can appreciate like Meyer does with Sadie. I admit I look at the relationship you've created between them, too, hoping someday I'll have one as strong as that. They're so cute and close... and I really love it. You've done such a wonderful job with the character in this book, Sarah. Really. I think if you wrote this book with your characters sitting around a table drinking tea, it'd still be enthralling to me. Your characters are the driving force here, even with your awesome plot. They're amazing. <3

~Darth Timmyjake




User avatar
104 Reviews


Points: 4429
Reviews: 104

Donate
Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:26 pm
View Likes
comrie wrote a review...



Okay, time to catch up on these chapters. You're really doing an awesome job writing them up by the way. It's obvious you are dedicated to this story, which is great for not only you but readers like me that gobble these chapters up. So yes, just wanted to say I'm happy for you.

I'm going to just express my thoughts as they come, so sorry if they seem disorganized or just plain weird in any way.

So this chapter is from Karson's POV, which I was surprised about. It was a good surprise though. I remember the POV from Resnick, and was wondering if anyone else would get a shine in the spotlight. I don't really have much to say in terms of plot, since it's mostly a view into Karson's mind and not anything really happening. Which is okay, because sometimes you just need to develop characters for a chapter or two.

That's how I saw this chapter, as one dedicated to character development, more or less. Karson seems just as cool and collected as he did from the other character's points of view. I can see he cares about Sadie as a little sister or something, which is really sweet.

His girlfriend (or, I guess, ex now) was pretty harsh. But I'll say I kind of understand where she's coming from -- in terms of her being frustrated, I mean. Any girlfriend in her situation would be fed up with how little time she spends with her boyfriend, who is involved in some real shady business. But I guess someone could say that she should've known what she was getting herself involved in. Still, I can't help but kind of understand her frustration. It's just Karson here seems so innocent. Not innocent as in ... well, really innocent, but I mean he doesn't come off as tough and rough as Meyer or Reneve. He just seems more calm and chill. But I could tell he wasn't really affected by her tone. Still, I didn't like the way she was talking to him, but I don't really blame her for being upset, at least. I will say she could have been a little calmer in her tone but...

Aw. Karson sees Meyer and Sadie as this couple with this super understanding and loving relationship. I'd like that Karson finds his own happy ending with someone who gets him, but I realize this may not be a part of this story here. There are other more pressing matters to resolve, like going after Resnick. But still, a girl can hope (for future installments), right?

Karson and Meyer's conversation -- I really got a feel of friendship from them just talking. It's clear the men both understand each other in a way others around them wouldn't. Karson is there for Meyer and his wife, just like I bet Meyer would be if Karson was ever in a situation like that. And Meyer's apology -- aw. Bromances, you gotta love them.

Also: Meyer's tear-strained face? Aw. He really cares for Sadie. I really want things to end happily for them.

Onto the part of my review that focuses on punctuation/grammar errors. I found things that stood out to me, and so I'll point them out for you. Feel free to disagree:

Now that the immediate danger the Reneves posed was passed, he felt like the entire weight of the world was crashing down on him.


This sentence reads kind of weird. Well, it did for me, at least. I think the problem was right there, at the word was. I feel like you should another word there. I think the word had would fit and read more smooth.

Karson walk back into the living room and sat down in the recliner, letting his eyes trace the scarred surface of the coffee table.


Here, you've got this word in present tense whereas the rest of the story is in past. Just change to walked

He’d been in the dark house for hours now, keeping watch in case anyone showed up that shouldn’t be there.


This last part read clunky for me. I know what you meant -- uninvited/unwanted/unexpected guests, right? I think you could say it as simply as that or even in another way if you want, like ... keeping watch in case any uninvited/unwanted/unexpected guests showed up. You could come up with something else that appeals to you, if want, also.

“Want me to leave your shit in the yard or the shower?”


NOT a mistake or anything, but damn, Ashlyn. The yard or the shower? Really?

“A bit.” Karson chuckled softly, humorlessly.


Me thinks these adverbs are too close to each other. I think you should describe his chuckle in a different way. Maybe: Karson let out a chuckle, a soft and humorless sound. Or if you wanna switch chuckle for another word like laugh Karson laughed a soft and humorless laugh.

These are probably bad examples/suggestions since I'm literally writing them as I'm thinking them, but hopefully they give you ideas on how to write it. But you can ignore them if you want.

Meyer walked past him once more, on the way back to the bed room.


I think you left a space between bed and room by mistake. In the other parts of the chapter, you wrote it as one word: bedroom. Just close the gap here.

That's all I can find now. Overall, though, the chapter was good. It's a nice look into Karson's mind/thoughts, and I can see how close he and Meyer are. They go way back. The anticipation is building, though, for their showdown against Resnick. Hopefully no more bumps along the way. I want this thing with Resnick settled, and, ultimately, justice for Sadie. I'm curious to see what life after will look like. What'll happen if Resnick does go down? To Meyer? To Karson? Hm.

Anyway, I'll wrap this review up by saying I think you did a good job here. I hope this review's been helpful! And (I know you'll) keep writing!
-comrie




User avatar
13 Reviews


Points: 956
Reviews: 13

Donate
Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:21 am
View Likes
ScarletDreams16 wrote a review...



Greetings! Scarlet here for a review. This is another dreaful case in which I did not read the previous chapters. Yes, I know I'm lazy but I need the sweet reviews. Sadly enough long chapter books like this, often get overlooked. But, I'm here to save the day! Even if I do it badly...

I really liked hearing your characters perspective on his past girlfriends. I laughed at his argument with his girlfriend. She really needs to see a therapist about her anger issues. Despite all the confusion with the plotline I liked reading this. There were no mistakes for me to attack so...short review.


Good work and Happy Holidays!


ScarletDreams16


+ 1 Like
+ 1 Follow





When your heart gets pierced with arrows, don't rip them out and pierce those around you in retribution for your hurt. You'll only unnecessarily wound others and bleed to death yourself.
— LadyMysterio