z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

My history report on the movie The Patriot

by Selena1016


The Patriot Report

In the film The Patriot, various events and the way they are portrayed is skewed in a way that creates a bias. Bias in the film does not change the story but rather how it is told. In The Patriot, the bias is leaning towards the Colonists over the British. Therefore, small things are skewed in their favor which changes the way you feel towards the story as a whole.

The perspective in which the film The Patriot was portrayed demonstrated bias. The film was in third person but had an emphasis on the Colonists’ perspective. In the film showing emphasis towards the colonists, the viewers get to know more about the personal lives of the Colonists. Making the viewers inherently sympathize with the Colonists. In sympathizing with the Colonists it also villainizes the British redcoats. The British and the Colonists both kill each other’s soldiers. Due to the fact that the war took place in the colonies, Colonists die as well as soldiers. Although this was inevitable it causes you to further sympathize with the Colonists due to the fact that large numbers of their people have died.

The plot of the film also perpetuated the bias. The British Redcoats kill 2 of the protagonist, Benjamin Martin’s sons and then attempt to burn down the house in which his remaining children are in. This causes the viewers to dislike the antagonists, the British Redcoats. In the film, the British Redcoats also burn down the church that is packed full of the villagers. In reality, the British Redcoats never burnt down a church, and the Nazis were the ones who burnt down a church. Burning a church full of innocent people causes resentment towards the wrong doers, furthering the bias.

The portrayal of the characters also showed the bias in the film. The characters who were chosen to play the 2 protagonists, Gabriel and Benjamin Martin, are intended to be viewed as sex symbols which causes the female audience to automatically side with the protagonists over the British Redcoats. The colonists treated the blacks (both slaves and free men) very well in the film. The treating the blacks well is very important because it makes them seem to be better people than they actually were. The British dogs also chose the colonists over British is important because it implies that the Colonist are better people than the British and treated the animals better. If animals even chose the Colonists over the British then surely the audience should also.

The special effects used in the film demonstrated a bias. The special effects used that demonstrated bias were sound effects, lighting and camera angles. When the British arrived to Benjamin Martin’s house, the lighting got darker and the music was less optimistic than previously. When Gabriel Martin got married to his wife, Anne Howard, the lighting was very bright and beautiful upbeat music was played which caused emotions of happiness. When the British and the Colonists were in the battle, the camera angles for each side was different. When the Colonists were filmed, they were shot at eye level. The shots being at eye level could enable the viewers to feel that they understand the character and can empathize with them. The British Redcoats are filmed at an upward angle. Them being filmed at an upward angle makes them seem less relatable, forcing the audience to side with the Colonists because they are seem to be more relatable.

Bias was very evident and played a major role in the portrayal of the story. Bias is to be expected in such a film because it is an American made film explaining the story of their independence, so it is inevitable it would favor them.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
806 Reviews


Points: 1883
Reviews: 806

Donate
Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:29 pm
Aley wrote a review...



Hello Selena1016,

I might be a little late to the game, but I'm going to post this here anyway just so you have the information.

First off, I think you have a good paper here. You've got a good handle of how to create a thesis. Your thesis makes an argument against something which gives you things to support your thesis through. Your thesis that the way The Patriot is filmed and delivered creates bias among the audience is actually a very reliable thesis. It's true. There have been countless other people who have said that the way a film is produced creates bias as well. I think that sort of makes your thesis a little weaker, but it is still a good thesis to start with. I think what you could add to the thesis to make it stronger would be 'against the British' because while filming makes bias, we should be clear about who the bias is towards. This goes with any thesis. Make them as exact as you can. The more exact, the more your support will actually fall clearly in line with your point and the more you're going to have to say.

I think your introduction paragraph could be clearer. Usually when you're writing an essay you should go back and re-write your introduction paragraph after you've written the conclusion. This is because the introduction needs to know what the conclusion says, so if you don't have the conclusion written yet, it's hard to write an introduction. Because of this some people like to start with the body paragraphs first, and write the introduction and conclusion afterwards.

Overall I think you really get into some good material in your body paragraphs. I like how you're trying to deal with the filming, the connotations, and the actions in the film. I wish that you had made it a little clearer what you were going to use as support in your introduction, and also rewrote the first part of your body paragraphs though because I feel like they're a little jumbled. Let me show you what I mean.

The perspective in which the film The Patriot was portrayed demonstrated bias. The film was in third person but had an emphasis on the Colonists’ perspective. In the film showing emphasis towards the colonists, the viewers get to know more about the personal lives of the Colonists. Making the viewers inherently sympathize with the Colonists. In sympathizing with the Colonists it also villainizes the British redcoats. The British and the Colonists both kill each other’s soldiers. Due to the fact that the war took place in the colonies, Colonists die as well as soldiers. Although this was inevitable it causes you to further sympathize with the Colonists due to the fact that large numbers of their people have died.


You start out with talking about the general thesis. That is just a restatement of your thesis in green. When you're done with that, you should be saying something that summarizes what the blue, yellow, and red show. As the yellow is support for the blue, that's easy to do. All you have to do is say something along the lines of "the bias in the film is created through the closesness we get with the Colonists." This would be a thesis for this paragraph. It's not the main thesis, but it is a support of the main thesis if we had the thesis of "The movie is biased towards liking the Colonists and disliking the British." All in all, you have a really good way to form your arguments. The blue draws a conclusion in the yellow, the red draws a conclusion in the brown, that's exactly what you need to do, but you also need to do two things with these paragraphs. First, tie in how this support goes directly to your thesis [which is hard to do with a thesis that isn't precise enough], and second, you need to conclude it with how you get back to the thesis again. Basically you need to make a sandwich in your paragraphs leaning towards the thesis at all times.

Another thing that teachers love is examples. You do this beautifully when you go into your point about the actions of the movie and how the British vandalized the church in the movie. I think throwing in the bit about the Nazis being the ones who burned a church is sort of strange because you don't support it with facts, and you don't say how that would affect the audience of the movie, you just put it out there. If you said that this would affect an older audience who understood the symbolism and that it would bring up memories of the horrors of the Holocaust and World War II through this act of church burning to immediately create contempt and pain in the audience at the scene, you would be right on the money. You just needed to expand that idea, tell us how that relates to the thesis.

You also get into some really good examples when you're talking about the dogs and the people specifically as well as the way that it was filmed. I think this second to last paragraph of yours is your strongest.

Two things to watch out for, when you're writing a paper, you have to be consistent so you have "Redcoats" capitalized in some spots, and not in others.

The characters who were chosen to play the 2 protagonists, Gabriel and Benjamin Martin, are intended to be viewed as sex symbols which causes the female audience to automatically side with the protagonists over the British Redcoats.


In sympathizing with the Colonists it also villainizes the British redcoats.


Just proof-read a few more times for nouns.

Also, any number under 11 should be spelled out, so you should use "two" instead of "2" for a formal paper for one through ten.

You also have a fragmented sentence:
Making the viewers inherently sympathize with the Colonists.
from earlier actually. This has no noun on its own. Every sentence must have a noun that it's talking about. Who/what is making the viewers inherently sympathize with the Colonists? You can solve this by making "making" lower case and putting a comma rather than a period right before it attaching it to "In the film showing emphasis towards the colonists..."

I will also suggest you read this out loud a few times, and read it cold because you have some sentences that don't sound right, or don't flow well. Treat it more like you're telling a story and you need to convince everyone in the world that this story is true, and the best way of looking at things. To do that you need to gain their trust, be clear about what you're trying to convince them, and pull at their heart strings. The best way to do that is thesis, support, example, conclusion for every paragraph in it's own unique way so things don't get too repetitive. That means you should have a mini-thesis about how your support fits into your thesis every paragraph.

I hope this helps! If you're confused about any of this, give me a shout and I'll see what I can do to help make myself clearer. Overall you did a good job picking your thesis, it just needs to be a little stronger and everything else would have fallen perfectly into place.




User avatar
279 Reviews


Points: 25891
Reviews: 279

Donate
Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:13 am
Steggy wrote a review...



Hello!

Stegosaurus here for a review!

As I can tell this is about a movie called The Patriot (have you noticed how Patriot has the word riot in it? Just realized this now.) and to be frank, I haven't seen a movie called The Patriot. So mostly on this review, I am going to check for most things common in most writings- spelling and grammar.
When I was reading this, I can tell this had a strong opinion built within its roots as well as the thought of how it is. I liked the beginning as it seemed to be an essay built beginning- which is hard to do (including me since for one, I make a horrible essay beginning and two, I make an easy essay turn into a hard one).

In the film The Patriot, various events and the way they are portrayed is skewed in a way that creates a bias. Bias in the film does not change the story but rather how it is told. In The Patriot, the bias is leaning towards the Colonists over the British. Therefore, small things are skewed in their favor which changes the way you feel towards the story as a whole.


This paragraph- or thesis- seems like a strong one with the exception of repeating unneeded words and such. It just adds more words for the reader to read and more words for you to write so what I suggest is re-reading what you have written- it is a neat trick to do since you find mistakes most people cannot see or hear (if they read aloud what you wrote).

Overall, this was a lovely essay on the movie The Patriot. Maybe one day I will see and think of this when I do, but beyond that I hope to read more of what you written. Also a happy welcome to YWS!

If you want me to go over anything, let me know!

Steggy



Random avatar
Selena1016 says...


In the film The Patriot, various events and how they are portrayed is skewed, creating a bias. Bias in the film does not change the story but rather how it is told. In The Patriot, the bias is leaning towards the Colonists over the British. Small things having a favor toward the Colonists created a bias.

is that better? and also thank you so much for taking the time to write that review, means alot



Steggy says...


That is a lot better! Thanks for explaining it to me! And you're welcome for this review! :D



User avatar
93 Reviews


Points: 3819
Reviews: 93

Donate
Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:51 am
Lefty says...



Why not post your report here, so people can review it, then post a thread on the boards letting people know that you're looking for advice today? It usually takes people longer than a day to get to reviewing something, but if you post on the boards letting people know you need it looked at asap, you might get some quick feedback. I would definitely post it in this work, though, so people can take a look at it. Best of luck!

-Lefty



Random avatar
Selena1016 says...


how do i do that? lol



Lefty says...


Well, it looks like you got your report put into the space above. You'll probably want to post your question on the "Writers Corner" thread. Here's the link:
viewforum.php?f=124
Just click "Post New Topic" over on the left, then let people know that you're looking for a quick review.



Lefty says...


You might not get a lot of responses with such short notice, but it's certainly worth a try. Let me know if you have any other questions!


Random avatar
Selena1016 says...


thank you! would you be able to give me a review?



Vervain says...


Actually, Will Review For Food is the forum you'd want to go to if you wanted a review, especially one ASAP.

In that forum, you post in a reviewer's thread and ask them to review your work - basically, you directly ask one person "can you give me feedback on this?" You can make up to four requests at any time, which should be more than enough to make sure you get some feedback on this today.

Specific requests have a faster response time than general requests, too - isn't that a helpful thing?



Vervain says...


Ah, to add to that - you might not get all the feedback you request within your time frame. Some people are slower to review, so try to make allowances for that, and understand that it might be difficult for them all to make you top priority.

However, some would be glad to help you out, so long as you mention that you need your reviews ASAP!



Lefty says...


I thought about the "Will Review For Food" thread, but in my experience, whenever I request a review it usually takes at least 48 hours for the user to review it. I thought if they made they're own thread it would show up to more people and they might get more responses. I probably should have mentioned the review thread, though.



Vervain says...


Actually, general request threads aren't allowed on the site because of the existence of the WRFF forum, which allows users to request reviews from anyone they want. Users can always advertise on their walls and such, though. ^^




If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.
— Henry David Thoreau, "Walden"