z

Young Writers Society


16+ Mature Content

vultures

by ScarlettFire


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for mature content.

This was written really quickly, but y'know. New poetry from Scarli? Yes, pls! Enjoy, etc.

vultures

sometimes i feel like drowning
in deep water, down in the dark
where the light doesn't reach
and sometimes i feel like discord
and sorrow, swallowed up by
the silence on snow
and splattered with crimson

sometimes i feel like i'm dying
in the middle of a desert, darkness
and starlight circling above like
vultures do rotten prey
and sometimes i feel like a shadow
from beyond the grave,
sinister and growling

but i'm just the secret
you keep in the basement
like all things dirty and broken


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
935 Reviews


Points: 2806
Reviews: 935

Donate
Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:52 am
View Likes
Shady wrote a review...



Scar!

Okay, so I forgot that Checklist Challenges only count for 2 things, and I needed you for 3, so here I am but I chose a 2020 poem! That's better, right? Might actually be helpful?

sometimes i feel like drowning
in deep water, down in the dark
where the light doesn't reach
and sometimes i feel like discord
and sorrow, swallowed up by
the silence on snow
and splattered with crimson

sometimes i feel like i'm dying
in the middle of a desert, darkness
and starlight circling above like
vultures do rotten prey
and sometimes i feel like a shadow
from beyond the grave,
sinister and growling


I'm gonna take the first two stanzas together since I've got things to say about them going together. The first thing I noticed is that you first described yourself as feeling "like drowning" and later "like a shadow" but in the middle it's "I'm dying" rather than "like dying" which kind of hits a bit different.

And, honestly, I kind of like it more? I know this is just a stylistic choice so feel free to disregard it if you don't find this helpful, but I like the "i feel like i'm dying" vibes more than "i feel like drowning" so maybe consider working them into some of your other lines? "i feel like i'm drowning" or something, you know?

"Discord" is also an interesting word choice here. I kind of like it -- it's not a common word to use, and I like the vibes of the word. But if I'm being honest my first thought was the app discord, and even when I went to google it to be sure I understood properly what the word discord meant, the app popped up before the definition did. So maybe think about a synonym here so your millennial and gen z readers don't get distracted? lol

I really like the imagery of "silence on snow" though! I can't really explain exactly why I like it, but it struck a chord with me, and I really like the emotional impact it has -- really crisp and cool and peaceful, even though the rest of the poem is so dark. It's very nice.

I also like how... I guess you use different elements? We go from water to snow to desert to shadow, and I think it works really nice -- especially since the crisp coldness of snow gets contrasted so immediately by the desert. It's nice the way you are all of these unhospitable natural elements. It makes for a nice, rounded emotional experience throughout this poem and is really well done!

"vultures do rotten prey" -- I don't super love the word "do" in this line, but I don't really have a suggestion for another synonym? Maybe just use a nice simple "circle" or to take away the repetition maybe something like "orbiting"? Idk what to suggest here, "do" just didn't sit right when I was reading this.

but i'm just the secret
you keep in the basement
like all things dirty and broken


Omg this last stanza <33

This was a REALLY strong end to the poem. I like how it's so much shorter than the others. That was a nice stylistic choice for the themes this poem conveys and is a short, sweet, to-the-point way to tie this up.

~ ~ ~

Overall, I think this was a really good poem! I always read poems several times in the midst of reviewing them, and I liked this one more and more the more times that I read it. It has a lot of subtle linguistic choices wrapped up in it, and they work really nicely together to build the themes of this poem into something that is really emotionally impactful. Great job!

Keep writing and Happy RevMo!

~Shady

Also, I'm featuring banners from the Banner Contest in all of my RevMo reviews, so please enjoy this amazing banner made by @LZPianoGirl

Image




User avatar
111 Reviews


Points: 9075
Reviews: 111

Donate
Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:40 pm
View Likes
tgham99 wrote a review...



I love the darker themes and imagery in this poem. I like that you repeat the word "sometimes" to keep a constant structure in terms of storytelling, and I also like a few words in particular that you opted to use: "dirty", "broken", "sinister", "crimson" -- these words, in my opinion, are what really pull your tone together.

I personally like the lack of punctuation, because in this case, a more "choppy" read works in favor of the poem -- rather than putting periods to end thoughts completely, you leave all of the lines open, which is an effective way to sort of keep the reader on edge. This aligns well with the fact that you chose to end the poem on the word "broken".

I feel like this poem could have benefited from perhaps one more stanza right before the last one; further developing the concept of being kept a "broken" secret would have helped emphasize the disturbing nature of the narrator's circumstances even further, but this is just a personal preference. For being written very quickly, I have to say that it was very enjoyable to read, and you did a great job :)




User avatar


Points: 79
Reviews: 3

Donate
Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:47 pm
View Likes
psithurism wrote a review...



hi there, i just was looking around for a poem that really speaks to me as usual, and this one did. It's one of those that you stumble upon, and you find every line you read saying the things you feel but could never express. That's really why I love poetry.
Anyways, sorry, getting off topic- back to your poem.
You have a beautiful metaphorical voice filled with imagery. The way that you describe pain, or emotional feelings to real life natural things really brings out the intensity and realness of it all.
However, for me, if I could change one thing, I would ask you to continue more on this. It felt like you were cut short and stuck in a quick ending and ran off. With so much darkness, you have to let it sit, and sink in. So make me wait, make me pause while i read, and take me further. It just feels somewhat rushed- at least the last stanza does. The first two would fit perfectly if you would carry on from it.
But, really, it is beautiful. Keep writing!




User avatar
109 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 109

Donate
Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:36 pm
View Likes
silvermoon17 wrote a review...



I get the dark feel, mood, whatever- but I’m not sure what you were aiming for here. Were you aiming for a dark poem? So like you just decided you wanted a dark poem for the fans; like you claim in the comment.
Or did you just write down how you feel.
Either way, the poem was very beautiful.

Alright, beautiful doesn’t mean anything. Let’s say i really like how it all evolves in the dark theme, like a bit mysterious- how it feels very stark until the end. Which feels more antique. Rusty. I guess you get that feel with the words “dirty”, “basement” and “broken”. Feels like all the darkness of above is the past, like you’re remembering why you ended up in that basement; like letting go. Or like a nightmare.

I guess you made it dark enough with the drowning imagery at the beginning of the poem, but that last line of the first stanza, the second and the third stanza- are what make this poem actually dark. The only thing I think broke the imagery was that part with “the silence on snow/ and splattered with crimson” where maybe keeping the imagery of drowning and doing something else with it (for the dark touch to it) would’ve made it much better.

Also I think that that last stanza would’ve been more effective if you had had rhymes all along the poem up until there, so that that irregularity really hits us the same way the words did.

But except for all that.. overall.. I really enjoyed reading this poem!




User avatar
1227 Reviews


Points: 144550
Reviews: 1227

Donate
Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:35 am
View Likes
alliyah wrote a review...



Definitely a dark poem! It doesn't just linger on dark imagery, but creates a mood and a bit of a character description of the narrator, so the reader gets a window into their story.

I think the line "vultures do rotten prey" was a bit awkward - though I love the contrast with starlight, and then "shadow from beyond the grave" is a great turn of phrase.

The image of blood on snow is a bit overdone in my opinion, but I think you may have layered enough meaning into it, with the extra detail about silence - (also a really good use of alliteration all over stanza 1).

For me it was a bit ambiguous just what the "secret" was in stanza 3 - whether that was suicidal thoughts/depression from stanza one, or them as a person, but in this case I think the ambiguity actually created more layers of meaning.

I think the end 2 lines could be stronger - "basement" took us out of the haunting nature imagery, and then "dirty and broken" didn't quite feel strong enough, and "broken" wasn't something explored in the first two stanzas yet.

A bit more could be done with sound devices in stanza 2, since you have so much good alliteration and repetition of sounds in stanza 1. Besides that I really liked the formatting, word choice, and break-up of the lines.

Well done Scar! This was a good read!

- alliyah




User avatar
174 Reviews


Points: 3255
Reviews: 174

Donate
Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:33 am
View Likes
soundofmind wrote a review...



Hewwo I'm here to review :) I really only have positive things to say to be honest!

Brooooo for having written this really quickly the flow is spot on. It reads so nicely, and without a set rhyme scheme? Brilliant. And where you chose to line breaks feels so right. I think one of the reasons the flow feels so nice is that the first two stanzas match each other pretty closely - both being seven lines and having similar syllable count, which contributes a lot to how a poem flows. It's more than just you breaking a sentence in half to make it poetry. It feels intentional, which is great!

and sometimes i feel like discord
and sorrow, swallowed up by
the silence on snow
and splattered with crimson

I think this might be my favorite part of the poem because it uses imagery I don't usually see paired with the idea of "drowning" - drowing I see used a lot but having it paired with blood on the snow, and the implication of what that means, and what might've caused it is very creative and I like it!

I feel like as a poem this is a really good length and you wrapped up the concept nicely at the end. It doesn't feel unfinished or like there were things left unsaid. It feels thorough and complete. There's obviously a story that could be told behind it, but poetry isn't supposed to show you all the details all the time. Sometimes you just get a glimpse into the bigger picture, which is what I feel like you did here. Like, we don't know why the speaker is kept a secret, or who is keeping them "locked away." It creates intrigue and questions (I mean, for me at least) but still feels like you communicated what needed to be.

I will say though the only thing that kind of confused me was the title. Not that it's bad or doesn't work, it just feels kind of... generic? I can't figure out a better way to say that. Maybe it's a personal preference thing for me, but I like when a title supplements the poem more than just summarizes it. But that doesn't make the title bad or anything!!!

But yeah, overall? I really liked this. Good job!!!





A non-writing writer is a monster courting insanity.
— Franz Kafka