z

Young Writers Society


16+ Language Violence Mature Content

Ice & Magic - Chapter Three

by ScarlettFire


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for language, violence, and mature content.

For Tenyo's LMS V. Word Count: 1,247, approx.

Chapter Three

Ceri’s vision darkened and twisted as she watched the woman turn into a dragon in triplicate, purple swirls of power and magic spinning around her and clinging to the trees and grass, causing some of them to shrivel up and die. When one tree fell with a crash, Ceri flinched--and that was the moment the woman-turned-dragon lurched forwards. She snatched up one of the men, messily sinking her teeth into his stomach and spraying blood across the clearing. It splattered across Ceri’s face, but she found she couldn’t care; her vision was darkening dangerously now, and the world tilted on its axis. The man was screaming, but the woman-dragon didn't seem to notice.

She closed her eyes, just for a moment, and when she opened them, two of the men were dead and the dragon woman was back in human form, standing amidst the carnage of torn limbs, blood and broken, magic-eaten plant life. Ceri moaned and rolled onto her side, curling up as much as possible with her hands tied behind her back. The dragon woman's lavender gaze was on her immediately and Ceri froze, eyes wide.

"Easy, little one," the woman said, moving closer. Ceri squeezed her eyes shut as the world tilted dangerously in the other direction. "Oh, dear--"

"No," she gasped, pulling her knees up into her chest and hoping the dragon woman would leave her alone. "No, don't...don't touch me!"

The woman hesitated then crouched down beside Ceri, keeping both hands within sight "I'm not going to hurt you, darling."

Ceri squinted at her for a moment, even as the clearing continued to spin sickenly. The woman stared back with pretty violent eyes; they were darkened with what appeared to be anger, making them even prettier. Captivating, even, and Ceri found herself unable to look away. She was terrified, yes, and she was drugged--she knew how nasty Bittersweet could be--and it was probably a good thing she was still tied up or she'd be trying to run away. And probably hurting herself in the process. Ceri blinked and her attention drifted back to the other woman. There was concern in her eyes now.

"How much did they dose you with?" she asked, slowly bringing her hands up to touch Ceri's bruised cheek. "And please, don't evade the question; I can't help if I don't know what, exactly, they've done--"

"Two cups," Ceri rasped, going slack. She laid her cheek against the cool ground and peered up at the woman with narrowed eyes. "That was to be the third..."

The stranger growled, a strangely animal-like noise, and twisted to look at the cup laying on the ground a few feet away, spilling foul-smelling liquid into the grass by the still-burning fire. Her eyes lit up a deep purple and then she closed them, sucking in a deep breath. "I regret that I ended it so quickly now," she muttered and then turned back to Ceri. "Two? Are they insane? You are merely human and another cup would probably have killed you."

That made Ceri blink. Merely human? What did that mean? It took too long for Ceri to realise that the woman was staring at her and that she'd said her thoughts out loud. The Bittersweet was screwing with her perception of time and space. Ceri sighed and curled in on herself a little more with a whimper. She didn't like feeling so out of touch with her surroundings.

"It means you need my help, little one."

"Ceri...my name is Ceri."

The woman smiled down at her, fingertips lightly tracing bruises on her cheek. "Hello, Ceri," she said and leaned down to put her lips by Ceri's ear. She tensed at the closeness, but the woman did nothing more than stay there until she relaxed. "You may call me Nagendra, darling."

Ceri tested the shape of the name in her mouth and sighed. Her vision darkened abruptly, and she thought she heard someone--heard Nagendra--ask if it was alright if she could pick her up. Ceri vaguely remembered agreeing, and then all she felt was the sensation of being weightless and the slight sway that accompanied being carried before the darkness pulled her under.

She woke sometime later--it was impossible to tell--to a dim room light only by firelight. Beneath her was a surface so soft, she could've rolled right back over and gone back to sleep. But something wasn't right. There was a foul, ashy taste in her mouth and he head was pounding. Her mouth was dry and she felt completely worn out, drained in a way only her healing could accomplish--but she knew she hadn't healed anyone lately... A vague memory of a cloth over her mouth and a sharp pain across her forehead jolted her upright.

Ceri froze as she took in her surroundings. She wasn't in a room; she was in a cave. A very comfortable, very warm cave. She frowned, tugging the blankets up over her chest--and that's when she realised she no longer had her hands bound behind her back. Ceri rubbed at her face and shifted so that she was sitting cross-legged on the bed, the blanket still pulled up over her chest. She'd lost her veil--it was probably back in the wagon--and that left her feeling vulnerable and exposed.

A noise off to her right startled her and Ceri whirled around to face whatever was coming. Only to see Nagendra stepping into the cave from a curtained off area. She raised an eyebrow at Ceri and strolled past, headed for a low table by the fire. Ceri watched her warily and then slid towards the edge of the bed.

"Where is this?"

Nagendra glanced towards her. "My cave."

Ceri paused in the process of standing, frowning deeply at the woman who was now seated at the nearby table. "Your...cave?"

"Yes." Nagendra turned to place the bowl she'd been carrying down on the table, beside a large, steaming pot. Belatedly, Ceri realised it smelled like stew and that it smelled very good. "Now come and eat. You need it to get the last of the drug out of your system."

Slowly, she made her way over to the other woman, dragging the blankets with her. Nagendra watched her with a fond smile. "I know what's needed," Ceri muttered as she sat down opposite the woman. "I am a healer, you know."

"And that is exactly why you're here."

Ceri glanced up sharply. "What?"

Nagendra raised her eyebrows and stared right back at her, her expression and posture patient and waiting. "Surely you weren’t unaware enough to not notice what I am?" she asked and nudged the bowl towards Ceri after spooning some of the stew into it. "And that I am, unfortunately, not very well."

Memories flooded back to her, unsteady and vaguely--a dark shape against trees and firelight, purple magic eating at everything around them, and piercing deep purple eyes. Ceri stared at Nagendra. "You're a dragon," she said, her confused tone quickly seeping towards awe. And fear, but not for Nagendra. For what the dragon-woman was losing. She reached out with her healing magic and flinched back from the deep, dark pit inside Nagendra. Yes, it was as she'd thought. "You're dying.... Without access to magic, you're dying."

The other woman offered her a slow, toothy smile. "Yes, exactly. And you're the one who is to save me."


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
174 Reviews


Points: 3255
Reviews: 174

Donate
Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:51 am
View Likes
soundofmind wrote a review...



HERE AND BACK AGAIN aYYYYYYYy

That made Ceri blink. Merely human? What did that mean? It took too long for Ceri to realize that the woman was staring at her and that she'd said her thoughts out loud.

I like this little bit. I like that you only did it once, so it's not overused, but it's a creative way to communicate that she's really, really disoriented and out of it.

Only to see Nagendra stepping into the cave from a curtained off area.

Not gonna lie, I'm surprised she remembers Nag's name, lol.

Ceri paused in the process of standing, frowning deeply at the woman who was now seated at the nearby table. "Your...cave?"

Wait, wait, wait, woah, woah, woah. She's standing already?? Like uh, I get that she's been out for a while and presumably been tended to by Nag, so we don't know exactly where she is in her recovery from the drug, but I'd think if she stood her head would spin a bit?? Maybe?

"You're dying.... Without access to magic, you're dying."

I'm still wondering about the magic in this world. Is magic in the world such a rarity? Is Nag isolated for some other reason from the magic she needs to survive? Questions, questions, questions.

The other woman offered her a slow, toothy smile. "Yes, exactly. And you're the one who is to save me."

Kinda bummed that after being saved by Nag, turns out she really just got captured again. Sure, Nag isn't like, gonna hurt her, but it sounds like she just wants to use her too, just for her magic. I feel like I know enough about Nag from what we've seen that she wouldn't like, force Ceri to help her, but considering Ceri's a bit dependent on her, I dunno... she might feel like she owes Nag, more or less. And that's not terrible, I guess, but I'm sure Ceri just wants to go home and back to the way things were before.

But that obviously doesn't make for a very good story!

This isn't very long, but I'm really enjoying the story so far. Can't wait to see how Nag and Ceri interact when Ceri's back to full health and more herself, since she's still a bit out of it right now!




User avatar
212 Reviews


Points: 575
Reviews: 212

Donate
Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:49 pm
EverLight wrote a review...



EverLight here with a review! This review is not intended to offend or hurt you or make your novel or poem seem bad, but be warned you may feel offended anyway.

First Impression
Wow...I can't even catch my breath. XD

Nitpicks & Grammar
To start with you might want to add comma here, like this-

She closed her eyes, just for a moment, and when she opened them, two of the men were dead and the dragon woman was back in human form, standing amidst the carnage of torn limbs, blood and, broken, magic-eaten plant life.


Here you have a misspelling-
Ceri squinted at her for a moment, even as the clearing continued to spin sickenly.

The word sickenly is spelled sickeningly.

Here you misspelled her-
There was a foul, ashy taste in her mouth and he head was pounding.


Other then that you had no other errors.

Style & Flow
Nothing to say here.

Overall you did an awesome job! Keep up the epic, work!




User avatar
1464 Reviews


Points: 83957
Reviews: 1464

Donate
Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:45 pm
View Likes
JabberHut wrote a review...



YAY! I'm so happy we get more!!

I love Nagendra. I love how confident and powerful she is, how intimidating and smart and super freaking AWESOME SHE IS.

The fight scene at the start was incredibly cool, and I was sad to see it end so quickly, but I think that's the best that can be done here. With Ceri drugged and Nagendra in a frenzy, there might not be much to dwell on emotionally from our perspective. But gosh was it so freaking cool to read. GO DRAGON!

AND NAGENDRA TOUCHED CERI. OH BOY. THE REBEL.

I definitely feel like the drugged aspect could be worked a bit better. Half the time, it doesn't feel like she's actually as drugged as was implied because she was still able to comprehend what was going on around her. But maybe I also don't know how the drug exactly works, so it's hard for me to understand or believe that she's actually one cup away from death. Just something to revisit later, though, as it's clearly a minor issue.

I'm super happy we're progressing with this story because I had wondered for a while what the fight scene would look like and what would happen. I don't really remember her having special interest in Ceri being a healer. Last chapter was in Nagendra's perspective, and it has been a while since I've read it, but I feel like this could be touched at least briefly during that portion when she was spying on them. Not give anything away, per se, but just verify Ceri's healeryness is mentioned in passing. It's a brief but important observation.

"Where is this?"

Nagendra glanced towards her. "My cave."


I FEEL LIKE NAGENDRA NEVER ANSWERED HER QUESTION. Or Ceri should at least say "Where are we" instead. XD

Also, unless my suspicion is correct and she's been asleep for hours if not days, the passage of time should be noted. That ties back to the drug and its quantity in her system. She took a lot and should be feeling the aftereffects of the drug and/or sleeping so long and in such a state. Considering she was able to not only hold a conversation with Nagendra but even use magic tells me she's been asleep for a LOOONG time for the drug to completely wear off. But I'm also not a doctor, so I don't have much to give either. XD I guess just some help with understanding her mental/physical state would really put this into perspective!

BUT OMG SHE'S DYING. I like that we're introducing a crutch for Nagendra so she doesn't seem so immortal. Also, we start seeing a little bit of normal Ceri again -- a little bit -- so we're about to get into some awesome fun character interaction. I wonder what Ceri can do to help Nagendra! It's not the same branch of magic they can use, so there's probably something more than just Ceri healing the dragon and going on her merry way. XD

I CAN'T WAIT TO READ MORE!!

Jabber, the One and Only!





When life gives you lemons…take over YWS with fruits and vegetables!!!
— LemonescentAnt