the Doppler effect

by passenger

Alright so here I am on behalf of the checklist challenge, operating a little out of my comfort zone in the realm of poetry, so I will be giving mostly my impressions since I am not the best when it comes to the more technical side of things here. But let's see where this takes us here, I'm already very intrigued by what this title could hint at especially given the shape of this poem.

Well this one really has some very strong imagery going for it here. It definitely makes you see quite a visceral series of images here, and this one is rather straightforward too in terms of what its getting at. Its certainly quite a sad moment and I love the emotion you managed to drum up here, tying it quite nicely to that title too. I really did not expect to see a concept like that used so indirectly and so powerfully here and I am loving it.

I think while this is a poem that takes a couple of reads to really digest, the meaning is quite clear right from the get go and without really diving too far in, you get a nice powerful image and the emotions really work so well as a result and I think you manage to convey this message to us quite nicely.

Hijinks wrote a review...

Hi there, passenger! I'm here to review your lovely shape poem (to fulfill some RevMo Checklist challenges)!

I see someone else described this poem as "confusing but beautiful", and I have to say that sums up my initial reaction pretty well. It's beautiful on the visual level; you've created a beautiful silhouette of a wild dog/wolf on a cliff, that in itself is just great to look at, and you've also filled the poem with gorgeous, poignant imagery. I tend to feel that a shape poem, or any poem with fancy formatting, should still stand well on its own if all the formatting is taken away and just the words are left - and this poem certainly meets that criteria! Phrases like the pending guilt that makes love in your stomach, zippers an aching silence over his dead body, and he shivers in your eyes are just *chef's kiss* !!

But it definitely also seems to have a lot of contradictions about what actually is going on, who is involved, and who we should feel sympathy for. The thing that stands out most to me is how you open the poem with

you watch as he passes.
and end it with
he watches as you pass.
Obviously you chose to reverse the phrase on purpose, and I'm quite curious as to what your personal interpretation/thought process for that was! To me, it seems to say that at some point in the middle of the poem we switched perspectives from the boy to the dying wolf. Which is a super intriguing concept - I don't think I've ever read a poem where that sort of perspective shift happens so subtly! I've read through several times trying to pinpoint a precise spot where it happens, and as far as I'm able to tell it takes place somewhere in the leg-region of the picture? Like the "he lays his guts out for us to see" could be literally describing the animal's guts, or it could be describing the boy who is being very expressive with his grief. By the time we reach "his father is a boy", it seems clear that now the poem has fully switched to the perspective of the animal.

So personally, I really enjoy the fact that there's such a gradual perspective shift! I think it has a very unique and cool effect. If I go with that interpretation, though, it does make some of the phrases, especially in the second half, kind of unclear. Like why would the animal be saying "there's a stain lurking beneath his skin / like the one you couldn't erase / from your hubcaps"? And whose hubcaps? Who is the wolf or narrator now addressing? I feel like a bit more context in that part could make it more consistent with the animal's perspective.

I thought you had some great repetition throughout the poem, especially with the "his [noun]" phrase that repeats at the start. It emphasizes the subject nicely! Only thing I would say about that is sometimes it's italicized (ie his body and his bark), but the rest of the time it isn't - and personally I'd go for all or nothing in this case.

Overall, I very much enjoyed this poem. I honestly adore the concept behind it, and the reversal of the phrase "[blank] watch(es) as [blank] pass(es)" at the start and finish! Having "he watches as you pass" at the end makes it feel like the poem has resolved quite nicely. Having a combination of many different senses in the imagery - sight, touch/texture, hearing, etc. - makes the poem feel very immersive, as well. Great job! I hope this review proves useful for you, and if there's anything I brought up that you'd like me to elaborate on just let me know! c:

Best,
Seirre

Charm says...

can you stop being so perfect god Sav why do you have to constantly slay my existence?

ily <3 how've you been weee haveenn't talked in fooooorrrevvvverrrrrrr ohhh meh gaaawdddd

passenger says...

<33

Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:16 am
silverhanded says...

Sav, this is beautiful. If I'm able to achieve the level of thought I'd need, I will come back to review this. If not, I want to say this was breathtaking to read. <3

Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:14 am
Dragongirl wrote a review...

Confusing but beautiful.

I really thought this was cool. The first reason being that you made a picture of the words. Amazing and hard to do.

his bark; shrinking his groveling throat. you can't hear him, but what hurts more is that nobody will ever hear him

This is a wonderful line. The grief expressed through it is heart-wrenching.

This next line is also wonderful.

winter snow; jewels in the pockets of the buildings that blink frightfully in a dank maze. it is always cold here.

BAM, I mean, just wow. When I read this shivers went down my spine. So good. The imagery is so unique and absolutely chilling.

I have no complains. I do have one question though, why did you chose not to capitalize any of your sentence?

Well have a great day. Thanks for sharing!

DG

Shape poems can be really tricky to master since you've got to balance the visual appeal of the poem with your choice of words so first off, well done for making this look so pretty! Now to take a look at the words themselves...

1. I think you need a space after body: on the third line - it certainly won't harm the image in any way.

2. In line 5, highbeams should be two words - high beams.

3. Line six confuses me because into doesn't fit into the line so I'm not sure when I'm meant to read that word. I think it would be clever if you made it possible to read it either as a follow on to quiver, or as the start to a new section with that and the next line of the tail and then following into the line after that. For example 'almost' would fit - 'legs almost quiver' and 'almost back'. It may not be quite the right length admittedly but with some more thinking I'm sure you'd get there.

4. Line 13 has that big gap in the middle and I'm not sure that 'love in your stomach' is the right phrase since it doesn't fit with the guilt or the terror of this event. I feel like 'holes in your stomach' would work better and it would make that gap in the middle of the line reflect the words - a hole in the stomach.

5. deadbody is out to the side and not really part of the image and I don't like it because I feel it draws a lot of attention to what is too simple a phrase. The rest of your language is descriptive and chilling and I kind of like that for the most part you don't come out and say 'they hit an animal with their car', instead you describe the impact of what happened. The line deadbody feels contrary to that.

6. I'm not sure I understand the line 'his father is a boy' - is this a wild dog or does that suggest this was a pet dog? Or is the his not referring to the dog at all? I got a little lost there.

The imagery in the second part is beautiful, though I'm not entirely sure where the boy comes into this, whether he was in the car when the dad hit the dog, or he owns the dog, or something else. I'm also not sure if the reflection is supposed to be the dog howling or its shadow turned to the side or again, something else? But I enjoyed the poem despite not being able to follow it completely and I think you've got some great lines, like 'my ribcage is not dishwasher-safe' and the fast pace and kind of flood of consciousness flow of the poem is very effective.

All the best with this!

~Heather

Knowledge is power.
— Francis Bacon