12+

Memories with you - Stuffed Toy

by Sathalha

Do you remember when we saw the boy with the stuffed animal doll? It happened last June, on a warm Sunday morning.

You and I were out in the park that you loved so much, with glorious rays of light shining down upon us as we rested on a rickety wooden bench. It had been one of the few days without rain that month, and we tried to make the most of it. I remember we were sitting together around midday, talking aimlessly, when a young teenage boy carrying a toy animal walked past us.

It was an odd sight: A thin adolescent with greasy black hair and heavily lidded eyes, someone who’d be more likely to deal drugs than stroll around on a Summer morning, holding a small animal toy in his hands. He was around the same age as us, and I remember thinking that I’d never even consider walking around with a furry toy creature that looked like an alpaca. The animal doll itself had bright orange fur, which was tattered and ripped in places, but then there were also patches all over it where major damages had been repaired. It was as if someone had given all their love and care to a small, tatty stuffed animal toy.

Then he was gone, just a memory in the past like so many other things now. I sat there in silence for a moment, and then I turned to you.

“Why do you think that guy was carrying an animal toy?” A normal question, where any other person would have made a simple guess or have just said they didn’t know. What you did was stand up, grin at me, and then draw in a deep breath.

“Why was he carrying an animal toy? Maybe that toy means a lot to him, maybe it’s something with such priceless value because it shows the beauty of his love. It could have been a gift from his dad, a proud man in a simple gray uniform, just before he left for the war and lost his life like so many others did. What if it was something that his mother had left for him, a memoire of the brave and beautiful woman that gave birth to him and had to pay such a terrible price for it? Was it a loving present from an older sister, who wanted nothing more than the best for him, before she had to run away from a cruel and dangerous home and leave her little brother behind? He could have even got it from a loved one, a person that meant the world to him, a person that he loved with all his heart, a person that could never be replaced by someone else, a person who had to leave him for a brighter world. It could have been a gift from me, or you, or from the postman who comes to the door, or the doctor who checks me up, maybe it could have even have been a present from God himself!”

Suddenly you slumped back down on the bench, thrown into a coughing fit, one of the many which left you immobilized for what seemed like an eternity. As it subsided you looked back at me and smiled through your tears.

“One day, we won’t be able to sit together like this anymore, you know? I’ll fade away into the background as you get up and continue your bright and eventful life. Even though I won’t be able to be with you anymore, I still want you to have something that you can remember me by.” And with those words you took a chipped, crystal-clear glass bead out of your pocket and pressed it into my hand. It was one of the beads from your necklace, the necklace I had broken when we had first met, the necklace your mother had given to you on your eighth birthday, on the same day that she died in a terrible car accident.

Your eyes were full of tears again, but for a different reason now. “Come on, you dummy. Take me back to my room.”

Jurelixranoanad wrote a review...

Wow! J here for a review.
I found this story sad, true, and touching. We never know why certain people do certain things but they do and this story captures that. No one ever knew why that boy was carrying that doll but he must have had a reason.
While I do love the story and the meaning behind it I found the way you wrote it a bit odd, it wasn't a letter and you didn't write it in second- person view it was more like a different POV every time the speaker changed. MY advice to you is to make it a second- person view story take out all the ours, yours, and you then just give the narrative speaker some details as if she was in the park as well, or she or he is just recalling the story.
I really do hope you make more stories like this a make it a series.
Good Job and Keep Writing!!

Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:52 am
rosette wrote a review...

Hola, amigo! I hope you're doing great today - can I just like, share my thoughts with you?
For some odd reason, I found this story a little sad. And touching. Its very true, we never know exactly why a person does the things they do but, of course, they have their own reasoning for it and it makes perfect sense to them!
Anyway, excuse those ramblings of my brain.

Can I be blunt with you? I mean no offense in any way, I just don't particularly like the way you wrote this. Its not a letter, but it's not quite from a second-person point of view. It's just different. I don't know if you, yourself, personally wrote this to someone or if it just stands as itself as a short story. If that latter one is the case then... enh. This whole "you" and "your" thing is confusing me and I, as the reader, have no idea who the actual "you" is. Or who the narrator is, as well. My suggestion to you is keep it as first person narration, without the yous, yours and ours. Making the "you" an actual character, describing her appearance and actions and personality would be much more effective and not make this story so limited. However, this is just my advice and I understand if you don't want to change anything. (Ugh, reading reviews can be so hard sometimes).

I sorta mentioned it before but I really loved that sixth paragraph where the "you" is basically preaching a message. Whoo, go girl! Buuut. (sorry! that word always pops up somehow) Unless this person is Anne of Green Gables' twin I find it hard to believe an actual person would say some of these things. For example: It could have been a gift from his dad, a proud man in a simple gray uniform... Maybe you know somebody who talks like this, but I certainly don't (and most likely never will). If you're going to stick with this descriptive talk, I suggest warning the reader of what's coming. Maybe say something like: What you did was stand up, grin at me, and then drawing in a deep breath begin to speak "in your unusually illustrative manner". [WARNING: please do not use that example - that was just shameful]. But do you see my point?

The ending of this story troubled me. We go from no-judging-of-teenage-boy-and-his-stuffed-animal to *gasp* is "you" dying?! What - what is this? Once more, I bring up my problem with "you". We need background information on this person. "Take me back to my room". "you" says. What room? Hospital room? These cough attacks and strange comments (Even though I won’t be able to be with you anymore) are screaming for you to tell more info on "you". So, like I said before, I think in this case it'd be better if you changed the "you" here to a "she" or *insert character name you love*. But once more, this story is yours and I certainly don't want to change its impact on you.

I apologize again if I offended you somehow because I did NOT intend to. Some days I'm just more sarcastic and honest than others. *cringes* I hope you found this somewhat (?) helpful and if you have any questions, do let me know! I'll be sure to answer 'em.
Thank you for this read, sathalha and please keep up your writing! ;D
have a great day,
-TheKid

Sathalha says...

Hahahahahaha, this is one amazing review :D.
The reason I'm so weird with the tenses and everything is that I'm planning to make a collection of short stories out of this, all revolving around the narrator and "you". Basically, "you" is a girl that the narrator befriended while at the hospital, and she has a terminal illness. All these "memories" stories are basically in the format of the narrator talking to the girl while she is in a coma. (you know how people do that, right?)
I'm seeing the girl as a very frail character who is full of life, as if her body isn't strong enough to contain her soul, thus her language and actions are explosive and full of vim and vigor.
Anyway, thanks for the review!
- Sathalha

rosette says...

aww, that's awesome - What a great storyline! Well, do keep it up, then. I hope to read more ;)

Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:42 am
Rachel32 wrote a review...

This made me incredibly sad to read, which was probably the point. Okay, now for the actual feedback. (Can't copy and paste, but I will do my best to make this good anyways.) I will go by paragraph, but start with the title.

"Memories with you - Stuffed Toy"
Unless this is part of a series (which it could be, I honestly don't know if it is or not) this title is a bit unoriginal. I feel like, for a work like this, the title should be a bit more poetic in wording. "Memories of Stuffed Toys and Love" maybe? When I say love, I don't necessarily mean romance, btw. It is just clear there is a lot of affection present.

First paragraph
"stuffed animal doll"
This is slightly redundant. Maybe just take out the word doll.

Second paragraph
"sitting together around midday"
You just said it was a "warm Sunday morning." The midday and morning contradict.
"young teenage boy"
This is also redundant. If you want an adjective in this sentence other than teenage, try an adjective that doesn't have to do with age. Something about appearance?

Third paragraph
Can't find anything to critique

Fourth paragraph
"and then I turned to you"
You have already used "I" in this sentence, so take the second one out. It will flow better.

Fifth paragraph
"A normal question, where"
Grammatically speaking, this doesn't quite work. Try "It was a normal question, and/but where..." Not sure whether and or but works better for you, so I just included both and figured you can experiment with that.
"or have just said"
You can take out this "have" and it still works grammatically, while flowing better.

Sixth paragraph
"memoire"
Not a word. Did you mean memoir? Memory?

Seventh paragraph
Can't find anything to critique

Eigth paragraph
"terrible car accident"
"Terrible" is a bit clichéd. Take that word out and it won't sound cheesy.

Ninth paragraph
Can't find anything to critique

I HAVE A THING TO SAY. Please don't feel like, just because I have all this advice, that I think it's terrible. It is amazing, I just think these things could make it even better.

Sathalha says...

Thanks for the review! :D
Regarding you question about the title, yes, I'm probably planning to make a collection of short stories within this theme, so I'll keep it.
Otherwise I've looked at all your revisions and and edited the story, so it works a lot better now!
Thanks again,
Sathalha

May you never steal, lie, or cheat. But if you must steal, then steal away my sorrows. And if you must lie, then lie with me all the nights of your life. And if you must cheat, then please, cheat death.
— An Unknown Bride, Leap Year